The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Some straw clutching going on here. It's a little rich for you to decide you know what the purpose of the SNP is, what they stand for and what they should do in a hung Parliament. I think the SNP's own views on these matters are slightly more relevant, and have been set out repeatedly, but you ignore that and suggest that there's a hidden agenda to prop up the Tories. Maybe the real question is whether the Labour Party will, in all circumstances, vote down a Tory Government.

Also, it's a bit rich these days for a Labour supporter to start complaining that other parties policies can change and are just based on the political wind.

Link me to major SNP policy announcements. Ones that aren't predicated on independence or more powers or abolition of Trident. Where's the speech from Sturgeon saying what her realistic goals are, her pragmatic views on wages or the economy. The White Paper, the last big policy document from her party offered little economic reform and even less of a challenge to the power of fat cats than I expected.

It's one thing to demand power, if you don't get power what do you do?

And the SNP need a plan on a Tory minority government. If they hold the sway and Cameron ends up in a minority government buying votes for 5 years (ta to LibDems for set terms) what's the SNP plan?

It's not an awkward question and it's na?ve to think Labour will be the biggest party with a collapse in Scottish support. Just because the SNP leadership prefer Miliband doesn't mean he'll be PM in a Hung Parliament.

The SNP have to play a game with the cards the UK electorate deal them. If its a Tory minority and Labour have less seats on a lower vote share they'll need to work with Cameron. Its unavoidable. No claim of a hidden agenda. So don't plant that on me.

And I'm sorry, but the goal of the SNP is to achieve independence. End of. Nationalism is what they're about. It might be civic nationalism but its nationalism.

As for voting down a government, take care here. Sometimes it returns a bigger majority for the incumbent. See Wilson for that. No party has the dosh for two wars too close. Scotland and Wales would need enough for 3 with devolved elections next year too. And with the terms of the fixed parliament act it makes it harder for such situations to arise.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you said, failure to deliver is nothing new. The next governments at holyrood & Westminster will fail to deliver about 30% of their manifesto.

In other news bears shit in the woods.

Good. We needn't ever critique incumbent governments again.

The failings of the SNP in office exist. No party is saintly or better at governing than another. But without an ongoing phoney constitutional war in Scotland running the Scottish government is off the hook for taking responsibility.

The Mighty Thor

Good. We needn't ever critique incumbent governments again.

The failings of the SNP in office exist. No party is saintly or better at governing than another. But without an ongoing phoney constitutional war in Scotland running the Scottish government is off the hook for taking responsibility.

What was the excuse of successive labour governments 97-2010 and the first Scottish parliaments? No constitutional war to hide behind. What is the excuses for the WMD, illegal wars, chronic financial mismanagement etc etc

The SNP have a long way to go to get to labour levels of ineptitude.

What was the excuse of successive labour governments 97-2010 and the first Scottish parliaments? No constitutional war to hide behind. What is the excuses for the WMD, illegal wars, chronic financial mismanagement etc etc

The SNP have a long way to go to get to labour levels of ineptitude.

Scottish Labour were plagued with in fighting in the aftermath of Dewar's death and due to this good people left and weaker people promoted. Done a lot of good for Scotland with the LibDems. Free personal care, health service improvements investment in education and no up front tuition. But plagued by infighting.

UK Labour. Again, many great achievements. International aid one huge achievement. The health service in England and Wales got better. Infrastructure invested in UK wide. Human Rights Act, devolution, peace in Northern Ireland. A lack of backbone to Blair helped cause Iraq. Financial mismanagement? Well UK debt was lower than most in 2008. In fact Brown is the only Chancellor to have run back to back surpluses and had a number of budgets were he balanced it.

The financial crash caused the debt crisis and the deficit to balloon. Supporting the economy instead of letting it collapse is what happened. You can say tighter regulation, all for it myself, but let's not forget everyone was calling for lighter and lighter regulation of mortgages and loans. Christ the SNP backed a Tory call to deregulate the mortgage market in 2006. A free lunch is never sniffed at by politicians. They were all in the trough arses up.

Bazzas right boot

I was a labour man, but it is clear only one party has any interest in Scotland, so I'll be a SNP man this time.

Can see SNP Getting 30 odd seats, would be massive for them, can't see them getting the 40+, too many people are ok and don't want change, fair enough.

The Tories might even gain a few seats 3-5 as Lib dems lose seats to them, Labour and SNP.

No matterany way, Scotlands results are irelevent, around 10% of the vote, it's only what happens down south that will have an impact.

Lib Dems to be wiped out is my bold prediction.

People constantly think I'm saying Labour did no wrong. Far from it, Iraq, PFI, not using their majorities to reshape the UK economy and restrain bad capitalism or support unions and workers. All massive failings.

The issue I have is I don't trust Nationalism. The SNP are nationalists and their political aims centred on that. They are centralist and that's bad because it leads to things like unaccountable bodies like Police Scotland who police Edinburgh with policies designed for Glasgow. Eroding local democracy, a lack of clear policy and vision on welfare, health, education and employment issues doesn't appeal to me. I don't think voting for "scottish interests" makes any sense of for Scotland to have a strong voice.

I'd much rather vote for policy that appeals to me than that. Hence why I've voted Labour/Green/LibDem over the years and for folk with principle like Margo when I had the chance to. I'd much rather vote for a strong centre left voice than a strong Scottish one.

Bazzas right boot

Jambos - help me to understand what is going on here?

Yet another poll showing the SNP winning lots of seats from Labour today.  Why are so many people prepared to back a party that just a few months ago asked us to back their plan for an independent Scotland based on oil at $110 a barrel?  Thanks to Labour and Gordon Brown stepping in at the last minute 55% said no.  If the country had backed Alex Salmond's plan, his first meaningful act as PM of an Independent Scotland would have been to go looking for a massive financial bail out.

If you voted yes based on the oil price- your a twat.

If you voted No because of the oil price and you didn't beleive it, your a twat.

I voted yes, nothing to do with oil.

Economies follow a cycle, whether you are a country of 2 million or 1 billion.

I don't see the counties that depend on oil following apart. The oil argument is nonesense, both ways.

ToadKiller Dog

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-what-snp-candidate-paisley-5118483

I don't think many unionist clowns will be complaining about this. <_<

What the Daily ****** doesn't say is the celtic comments were from almost 2 years ago directly after a celtic game , who hasn't come on after playing them saying similar even at an older age .

Labour and its supporting rag trawling through the years of some bodies Twitter account is rather sad . Is that how Labour plans to fight the election ?

Bet they are bitter disappointed that she is a Partick tickle fan rather than an Orc .

I am glad the Internet wasn't around when I was a teenager I would have posted some right crap . Still do .

AlphonseCapone

The SNP have a stall set up in Bathgate if you fancy popping through to egg them or something Mag, only a 10 minute trip from Livingston.

The SNP have a stall set up in Bathgate if you fancy popping through to egg them or something Mag, only a 10 minute trip from Livingston.

No thanks. I'll leave that sort of shite to the grubby nationalists who you seem to support.

The SNP only has only one aim and one policy in life and that is independence. They would relish a Tory government in Westminster because it would turn a lot of Scots towards independence. They have absolutely nothing to gain from an alliance with Labour and, despite what they say at the moment, will never enter a pact with them (nor Labour with the SNP). They may well talk to Labour and make impossible demands that they know could never be agreed and then inform the Scottish people that the only way to achieve their aims is through independence. No matter how many seats the SNP win at Westminster they will never be in a position to influence any decision the government of the day wishes to make. By all means if you are in favour of independence vote SNP in a Holyrood election, as I have done, but the only thing a vote for the SNP in a Westminster election will achieve is a Tory government for the next four years, and god help us if that happens.

The SNP only has only one aim and one policy in life and that is independence. They would relish a Tory government in Westminster because it would turn a lot of Scots towards independence. They have absolutely nothing to gain from an alliance with Labour and, despite what they say at the moment, will never enter a pact with them (nor Labour with the SNP). They may well talk to Labour and make impossible demands that they know could never be agreed and then inform the Scottish people that the only way to achieve their aims is through independence. No matter how many seats the SNP win at Westminster they will never be in a position to influence any decision the government of the day wishes to make. By all means if you are in favour of independence vote SNP in a Holyrood election, as I have done, but the only thing a vote for the SNP in a Westminster election will achieve is a Tory government for the next four years, and god help us if that happens.

What difference do you think a labour government would make?

On currant polling evidence ( i know things can change), can you show me how a Tory Government is possible by voting SNP.

As it stands: If Scotland does vote SNP and the polls down south stay the same, there will be a hung parliament with the possibility that the SNP could hold the balance of power.Sturgeon has already ruled out a coalition with the Tories so the Tories cant get into power unless they try a minority Government.

The only way as it stands, that the Tories can get into power is for Labour seats to start falling down south, then it as usual it will not matter how we vote in Scotland.

Yup - he's a dick.

What are your thoughts on Ms Black? Do you think she's worthy of representing her constituency and Scotland in Westminster?

I personally don't find the stuff that is being reported as offensive, but she is probably deeply regretting saying them now.

I cant really answer your question as i don't know the lady, the question can only be answered by the people that have voted for her to represent them. 

What i will say is we can expect much more of this type of muck raking right up to the election on all sides and i don't particularly like it 

AlphonseCapone

No thanks. I'll leave that sort of shite to the grubby nationalists who you seem to support.

I'd probably be offended if I was a nationalist.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-what-snp-candidate-paisley-5118483

I don't think many unionist clowns will be complaining about this. <_<

Sounds a right Eric Joyce.

To be honest, she's a human being and young person who'll learn from this. But they aren't great things to go about tweeting. If a teacher or doctor or lawyer or a fellow MP went about publicly tweeting that Celtic were scum or they wanted to nut someone they wouldn't last long.

On currant polling evidence ( i know things can change), can you show me how a Tory Government is possible by voting SNP.

As it stands: If Scotland does vote SNP and the polls down south stay the same, there will be a hung parliament with the possibility that the SNP could hold the balance of power.Sturgeon has already ruled out a coalition with the Tories so the Tories cant get into power unless they try a minority Government.

The only way as it stands, that the Tories can get into power is for Labour seats to start falling down south, then it as usual it will not matter how we vote in Scotland.

Guardian and May 2015 both reported that on the current Ashcroft polling the SNP winning 50+ would sneak a Tory minority of 273 to Labour on 270. Coalition would be the only option. Supply and confidence of Labour there would be utterly doomed and for an English voter lack democratic legitimacy.

how shite must the other parties and candidates be then. focus on the snp all you want but it's the utter failure of your parties that has led to this.

how shite must the other parties and candidates be then. focus on the snp all you want but it's the utter failure of your parties that has led to this.

Alexander is a shite candidate is he? I'm no labour fan but he's a good candidate.

She'll win because of blind nationalism. We both know that. It isn't because she's good or capable. It's because she supports independence and the SNP.

Alexander is a shite candidate is he? I'm no labour fan but he's a good candidate.

She'll win because of blind nationalism. We both know that. It isn't because she's good or capable. It's because she supports independence and the SNP.

Welcome to modern politics. People don't vote for their local candidate any more, but the party they want in power.

Welcome to modern politics. People don't vote for their local candidate any more, but the party they want in power.

Again a bad thing. Leads to a weakening of local parties choosing local people to be candidates and an imposition of HQ hand picks.

Was it also a failure of the opposition in Dunfermline that Bill Walker was selected by his party and became an MSP?

Lets be honest, she's a side show issue. Imo, she's not exactly a shining example of the great and high calibre candidates the SNP claimed they'd be putting up this year. But they, I assume, have her there as they don't overly think they'd win that seat.

Then again Jim Murphy was as experienced on his election to Parliament. Who's to judge.

:rofl:

Raging.

says the man who'll blindly vote for anything anti nationalist? a bit rich.

Cast No Shadow

Indeed: just like the British nationalists in George Square on the 19th of September. <_<

:lol:

There's a very good chance this girl will get voted in as an MP!

If she's one of the best the SNP have to offer then God help us all.

Given you're a Conservative, I would expect you to be delighted that Labour are going to be obliterated in May rather than a seething mess.

Oh well, your tears taste good. B)

Indeed: just like the British nationalists in George Square on the 19th of September. <_<

Given you're a Conservative, I would expect you to be delighted that Labour are going to be obliterated in May rather than a seething mess.

Oh well, your tears taste good. B)

Not if it means replacing them with a nationalist party whose sole purpose is to destroy the UK.

I'm not seething despite the repeated accusations - it's more just embarrassment.

Cast No Shadow

Not if it means replacing them with a nationalist party whose sole purpose is to destroy the UK.

I'm not seething despite the repeated accusations - it's more just embarrassment.

You're embarrassed that the SNP are set for another landslide. I was embarrassed that Scotland voted no.

That's democracy.

Guest Trapper John

You're embarrassed that the SNP are set for another landslide. I was embarrassed that Scotland voted no.

That's democracy.

Regardless of the 'landslide', get used to living in the United Kingdom. That will never change. And if the landslide does occur which will mean the Tories remaining in power, you and all your fellow Nats will have played their part in keeping the Status Quo intact and cutting your own throats in the process (not that you actually care a damn about 'Scotland' and the 'Scottish people'). You just hate the idea of Britain more.

The British state for over 300 years has seen off greater threats than a bunch of deluded, fantasist, Saltire waving, malcontents.

Long may it continue.

:verysmug:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

So a Unite/Survation poll has Labour ahead in Sheffield Hallam over Clegg: 33% to 23%. Lord Ashcroft has the Lib Dems ahead by three points. 

Labour are anywhere between 1.5/1 and 3/1 I think in the betting markets. After the Unite/Survation poll we might see them put more resources into the constituency. Looks like a decent value bet. 

Ashcroft has revised his findings and has Labour three points ahead now. 

It's amazing what you can come across purely by chance: Labour MP charged over Yes schoolboy leaflet row

So, another sitting unionist MP who has done worse than the ruffian SNP candidate. I wonder if there's more?

Google Eric Joyce and have a great time. The man walks about decking Tories in the Commons and has a go at his old party colleagues too. 

Have we all descended to defending the arseholes on each side? McCann's an arse. Black's an arse. Wishart's an arse. Murphy's an arse. 

Cast No Shadow

Regardless of the 'landslide', get used to living in the United Kingdom. That will never change. And if the landslide does occur which will mean the Tories remaining in power, you and all your fellow Nats will have played their part in keeping the Status Quo intact and cutting your own throats in the process (not that you actually care a damn about 'Scotland' and the 'Scottish people'). You just hate the idea of Britain more.

The British state for over 300 years has seen off greater threats than a bunch of deluded, fantasist, Saltire waving, malcontents.

Long may it continue.

Erm, I don't care who emerges as the largest party, nor do I have any hatred for Britain, given Scotland has always been and always will be a part of Great Britain. You would have to be incredibly thick to not realise this.

The British state, however, has went from controlling most of the globe to being a small island in the North Atlantic with, as you put it, deluded fantasies of still being a global superpower.

What an embarrassing mountain of imperialist-like, British nationalist fail. The decline of the union is terminal and the wheels were set in motion long ago. Nothing lasts forever: gutted for you.

AlphonseCapone

Long may it continue.

There was definitely tears while this was wrote

Psychedelicropcircle

Tripped predicted that come May all of us Yes supporters would return to liebour like good little minions......how's that working out for you tripper?

This line is a classic

One is a plan to give rural communities the right of compulsory purchase over the land they farm ? even if the landowner, whose family may have been custodians of it for generations, doesn't want to sell it.

Cant remember the Mail complaining about the right to buy council houses dispite the councils not wanting to sell

Struggling to see the connection to house prices in SE England, the Heil's No 1 concern.

Where do you think the people who own scottish estates live?

Dan Snow's pronounced No campaigning is a bit more circumspect when you realise who his father in law is.