The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Not the point. You're now saying the SNP can have their cake and eat it but the Labour Party can't. But if I was to say why the SNP are were they are I'd say they've done a good job in government in managing the nation, little reform or action, but good management. They're also ably led and their profile grew in the referendum. Scottish Labour was the opposite in that time.

We're also in a total point of utter political flux and fall out after the referendum. I reckon by 2016 that will have died out and a more accurate reflection of the SNP in office may well be presented in the polls. Greens growing and the fall out of the 2015 election will make the scottish election of 2016 interesting.

I don't think that's the case. I think most people who voted Yes will need a great big reason to vote Labour or any of the other unionist parties from now on - in the same way that most people who voted No need a great big reason to vote SNP. If Labour and the SNP are broadly interchangeable on most domestic issues, then people will stick with the one that matches their constitutional views. I suspect the main difference between 2015 and 2016 will be that more Yes people will vote Green in 2016 than next year, because it makes more sense at Holyrood, but I think for most people, the referendum vote is a pretty clear fault line in deciding who they might vote for. I know you voted Yes, and you don't think in that way, but I think you are very atypical of Yes voters as a whole.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HaymarketJambo

Saw some Guy from UKIP on the BBC's question time telling the audience from Hampshire, how much Scotland costs the English tax payer and the Lib Dem and Tory wasn't much better, in fairness Diane Abbot from Labour Party she was fair, if Scotland costs the English tax payer so much money why tell us in the referendum, how great part of the UK Scotland is?    

But when you listen to the guy from UKIP going on a anti Scottish rant , it does make want to you vote SNP this election, so much for better together?              

jambos are go!

Saw some Guy from UKIP on the BBC's question time telling the audience from Hampshire, how much Scotland costs the English tax payer and the Lib Dem and Tory wasn't much better, in fairness Diane Abbot from Labour Party she was fair, if Scotland costs the English tax payer so much money why tell us in the referendum, how great part of the UK Scotland is?    

But when you listen to the guy from UKIP going on a anti Scottish rant , it does make want to you vote SNP this election, so much for better together?              .

To be precise I think it was 55% for better together. No doubt helped by anti UK rants from YES supporters.

To be precise I think it was 55% for better together. No doubt helped by anti UK rants from YES supporters.

Being against the UK is the basis of being a yes voter, nothing wrong with that. Being against scotland is not part of being in UKIP, there is something very wrong with that.

The fact that you think the two are in some way linked and comparable shows how you view the world and it's not surprising.

jambos are go!

Being against the UK is the basis of being a yes voter, nothing wrong with that. Being against scotland is not part of being in UKIP, there is something very wrong with that.

The fact that you think the two are in some way linked and comparable shows how you view the world and it's not surprising.

Edited by jambos are go!

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11364492/The-SNP-is-only-interested-in-fostering-grievance-and-destroying-the-UK.html#disqus_thread

This article is spot on about what Sturgeon and her grievance brigade are up to.

Truly despicable.

Parallels with your relationship to the SNP.

"Truly despicable" :rofl:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I see the DUPpers are complaining about exclusion from the TV debates. And rightly so. They are the 4th largest party in the Commons.

I see the DUPpers are complaining about exclusion from the TV debates. And rightly so. They are the 4th largest party in the Commons.

:spoton:

All 4 member states of the Union must be represented by a local party, no matter how many seats each party is standing in. 

Edited by Cade

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/25/scots-want-minority-labour-government-snp-nicola-sturgeon

Disgusting feckers. Labour and the Liberal Democrats had a "progressive" majority in 2010 but the Conservatives, as the largest party, got first dibs. In 2015, if the Conservatives are the largest party, they'll first dibs. If you don't want a Conservative government, the only answer is to vote Labour.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/25/scots-want-minority-labour-government-snp-nicola-sturgeon

Disgusting feckers. Labour and the Liberal Democrats had a "progressive" majority in 2010 but the Conservatives, as the largest party, got first dibs. In 2015, if the Conservatives are the largest party, they'll first dibs. If you don't want a Conservative government, the only answer is to vote Labour.

The Tories didn't have first dibs. LibDems spoke to Labour first. Labour acted like total winkers and the LibDems told them to shove it and went round to Tory HQ.

At least get the facts right.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Lab + Lib < majority

Con + Lib >> majority

Hope this helps

The Tories didn't have first dibs. LibDems spoke to Labour first. Labour acted like total winkers and the LibDems told them to shove it and went round to Tory HQ.

At least get the facts right.

Having read a lot of the history books out on the 5 Days in May after the election, you may be shocked to hear the Liberals were the wankers and the Tories were more than happy to offer them a lesser deal.

Labour offered electoral reform and house of lords reform without referendums or boundary changes, wanted to devolve more power to local government and the nations and offered Clegg the Home Office and 4 other big departments.

David Laws, Chris Hune and Paddy Ashdown pushed for a deal with the Tories and Clegg followed their advice.

Clegg and co made their bed. Brown repeatedly told him they'd have a working majority as the SNP and Plaid would never repeat their fatal mistake in 1979 and that the DUP were in the bag due to Cameron's favouring the UUP in the run up to May 2010.

Recommend you read David Laws book, 5 Days in May and Brown at 10. Labour felt jilted by the new wave centre right Liberal leadership.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Having read a lot of the history books out on the 5 Days in May after the election, you may be shocked to hear the Liberals were the wankers and the Tories were more than happy to offer them a lesser deal.

Labour offered electoral reform and house of lords reform without referendums or boundary changes, wanted to devolve more power to local government and the nations and offered Clegg the Home Office and 4 other big departments.

David Laws, Chris Hune and Paddy Ashdown pushed for a deal with the Tories and Clegg followed their advice.

Clegg and co made their bed. Brown repeatedly told him they'd have a working majority as the SNP and Plaid would never repeat their fatal mistake in 1979 and that the DUP were in the bag due to Cameron's favouring the UUP in the run up to May 2010.

Recommend you read David Laws book, 5 Days in May and Brown at 10. Labour felt jilted by the new wave centre right Liberal leadership.

Er, look at the arithmetic. Also, the DUPpers would not have sat with the SDLP or Alliance.

You also forget that there is no way that coalition would have held together and the only party who could afford to fight a second election was the Tories.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Psychedelicropcircle

Labours war cry, they could try positive politics instead of project fear part 2. You have your union intact hurry up and accept if scotland chooses to send more snp numbers it's democracy at work.

She was fine on SP despite what the twittersphere will tell you. Was exactly like any other Neil political interview. Him more interested in tripping candidates up at the expense of actually finding anything out. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

She was fine on SP despite what the twittersphere will tell you. Was exactly like any other Neil political interview. Him more interested in tripping candidates up at the expense of actually finding anything out.

Green politicians are generally looney tunes but they get the middle class angst and hipster vote because of what they are perceived to be, i.e. saving the planet.

Green politicians are generally looney tunes but they get the middle class angst and hipster vote because of what they are perceived to be, i.e. saving the planet.

It's difficult to see how they won't pick up votes with their current status as the only unashamed left wing party in the UK.

They'll likely fall away in a similar manner to UKIP post May when Britain gets over it's mid life electoral crisis.

The Mighty Thor

Labours war cry, they could try positive politics instead of project fear part 2. You have your union intact hurry up and accept if scotland chooses to send more snp numbers it's democracy at work.

Yip. An unholy alliance of convenience during better together to get the result they wanted = democracy at work.

Getting it jammed right up them by the electorate in may = democracy at work.

I hope it hurts them. Real bad.

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Er, look at the arithmetic. Also, the DUPpers would not have sat with the SDLP or Alliance.

You also forget that there is no way that coalition would have held together and the only party who could afford to fight a second election was the Tories.

How it would've panned out is rightly open for debate. However, the gamble was the SNP and PC with the SDLP would always side with a Lab-Lib coalition in confidence votes to avoid Tory government. The relationship between the Tories and the DUP is not great due to the alliance with the UUP and that too was considered to be in Labour-LibDem Coalition favour.

The LibDems higher ups by the time the election finished had already signed up to the Osbourne plan on deficit reduction and tried to push Labour to agree to deeper cuts in negotiations. The "progressive" alliance never happened because the Liberals had already made the change in thought to sign up to Osbourne's ideas and policy on the economy. David Laws book makes that clear and says he, Danny Alexander and Clegg were in agreement from talks during the election to go for deeper cuts. This in turn led to a rift with Cable and others like Menzies Campbell and Kennedy in the run into the election as they were opposed to such a move.

The Lib-Dem Orange book mob pulled the party right in the negotiations and were very happy to take a lesser deal from the Tories than Labour offered on many fronts.

It only seems to be the UK were minority government to be feared like the plague. There's nothing wrong with the idea nor is there with a Coalition of more than 2 parties. Parties that have to work for votes are always on their toes. Denmark, Norway and Sweden have had minority governments in supply and confiedence agreements with smaller parties. It works. A hung parliament would be the best bet for the UK come May.

"British army to be replaced by 'home defence force" if Greens win power in May"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/11368244/British-army-to-be-replaced-by-home-defence-force-if-Greens-win-power-in-May.html

She apparently had an absolute shocker with Andrew Neil this morning too

Sounds like semantics to me. A Defence Force is just an Armed Force by another name. And Trident should go and defence needs looked at properly. It's mad we are building two new aircraft carriers without any airplanes for them and for the second ship to be mothballed immediately after construction.

The Mighty Thor

"British army to be replaced by 'home defence force" if Greens win power in May"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/11368244/British-army-to-be-replaced-by-home-defence-force-if-Greens-win-power-in-May.html

She apparently had an absolute shocker with Andrew Neil this morning too

I just can't get these guys out my head.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1423471.ece/alternates/s2197/Dad's%20Army

I don't think that's the case. I think most people who voted Yes will need a great big reason to vote Labour or any of the other unionist parties from now on - in the same way that most people who voted No need a great big reason to vote SNP. If Labour and the SNP are broadly interchangeable on most domestic issues, then people will stick with the one that matches their constitutional views. I suspect the main difference between 2015 and 2016 will be that more Yes people will vote Green in 2016 than next year, because it makes more sense at Holyrood, but I think for most people, the referendum vote is a pretty clear fault line in deciding who they might vote for. I know you voted Yes, and you don't think in that way, but I think you are very atypical of Yes voters as a whole.

Sorry I never replied earlier. I suppose you are right. I always viewed the constitutional question a temporary one in either eventuality. But it's created a major fault line in Scottish politics which is to me unhelpful for the left as it artificially divides parties on matters where they should have a lot in common.

Are the Tories standing themselves in Northern Ireland? Ruth Davidson was over at a Tory event in Belfast recently. Surely that would only split the divided unionist vote further?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

You guys may be comfortable with the nationalists you've become.

You'll be remembered on the wrong side of history.

I won't be voting for the SNP, so another swing and a miss. 

Are the Tories standing themselves in Northern Ireland? Ruth Davidson was over at a Tory event in Belfast recently. Surely that would only split the divided unionist vote further?

They were in alliance with the UUP in 2010. Might have formally merged?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Just tried to watch Natalie Bennett's interview with Andrew Neil today. Turned it off after about only a minute - he was already absolutely skewering her; it was funny as ****, but I still felt a bit sorry for her. Fighting (proudly) in vain against reality. 

Edit: watched a bit more :smackdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFn8RIXOBE&t=4m20s

Edited by Joe Biden's Aviators

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tories have stood in Northern Ireland since 1989

Just tried to watch Natalie Bennett's interview with Andrew Neil today. Turned it off after about only a minute - he was already absolutely skewering her; it was funny as ****, but I still felt a bit sorry for her. Fighting (proudly) in vain against reality.

Got a few minutes in.

So we're all to get ?72 per week as a 'citizens income'?

That sounds quite good. Could use an extra ?72 per week

Guest Trapper John

Got a few minutes in.

So we're all to get ?72 per week as a 'citizens income'?

That sounds quite good. Could use an extra ?72 per week

The Greens will:

Give everyone a free ?72 a week - while raising ?230bn to pay for it without taxing anybody enough.

Scrap border controls as no rich country has right to stop anyone from coming in.

Let everybody become a member of ISIS, or Al -Qaeda because freedom demands it.

Scrap the British army and replace it with Windmills.

Make people watch Open University programmes at prime-time viewing slots to replace the likes of the X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing.

I don't know about the rest but I think the last proposal just won my vote.

Tories have stood in Northern Ireland since 1989

Jeezo my bad. And I used to live there too. Can't say I ever remember seeing an official tory candidate but then that was when the TUV was trying to shout the loudest with that Allister bloke trying to end diane dodds aand I had to start checking under my car before turning on the ignition again.

Edited by jambo1185

who would vote for this lot?

Apologies if this has already been covered but is there a quick way if I can check if I'm registered to vote? Wife and I have both been for years but I got a letter a couple of months ago saying I needed to do something to stay registered while at the same time she got one saying she was automatically registered and didn't need to do anything else. Problem is I can't remember if I did anything about it at the time and can't find the letter/card.

Apologies if this has already been covered but is there a quick way if I can check if I'm registered to vote? Wife and I have both been for years but I got a letter a couple of months ago saying I needed to do something to stay registered while at the same time she got one saying she was automatically registered and didn't need to do anything else. Problem is I can't remember if I did anything about it at the time and can't find the letter/card.

Put your postcode into this link then contact the local electoral officer to find out if you are on the roll.

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/

who would vote for this lot?

I like the bit about paying for the Citizens Wage by abolishing the personal allowance on income tax - so you get paid more but lose more of it in tax. Not that the additional tax revenue would come anywhere near close enough to the cost.

Is this why Big Dave wanted them on the debates? It makes him look nice but also is an opportunity to show them up?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Dave wants them in as they've been taking votes off Labour. I suspect he'll give them an easy ride in the debates. 

Prince Buaben

Former SNP leader Alex Salmond tells the Aberdeen Press and Journal he thinks the broadcasters should put objects in place of any party leaders who don't show up for the TV debates. He suggested the following:

David Cameron - a glass of champagne

Ed Miliband - a bacon sandwich

Nick Clegg - the pledge not to raise tuition fees he signed during the 2010 general election campaign

Nigel Farage - a pint of beer

Mr Salmond also said a debate between just David Cameron and Ed Miliband would be a simple re-run of PMQs, which has "turned off more television sets than the standby button".

Former SNP leader Alex Salmond tells the Aberdeen Press and Journal he thinks the broadcasters should put objects in place of any party leaders who don't show up for the TV debates. He suggested the following:

David Cameron - a glass of champagne

Ed Miliband - a bacon sandwich

Nick Clegg - the pledge not to raise tuition fees he signed during the 2010 general election campaign

Nigel Farage - a pint of beer

Mr Salmond also said a debate between just David Cameron and Ed Miliband would be a simple re-run of PMQs, which has "turned off more television sets than the standby button".

Salmond could be represented by a copy of Scotland's Future. Sturgeon by a cut out Salmond.