The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Gorgiewave

Will it protect the working man's right to take industrial action? Doubt it.

I quite like human rights, don't see why they should be abolished.

They're not just abolishing human rights, FFS, as if the Glorious Revolution, American Revolution and French Revolution had never happened.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pans Jambo

do you get any expenses for your job, doctor jambo?

For a doctor he dpends quite a fair bit of time on here!

I thought they were all stressed out with the 14 hour days etc?

No wonder the waiting times are getting longer........theyre all on JKB

Unless hes a doggy doctor???

doctor jambo

I work a lot of nights and odd shifts and, in my spare time run my own business.

Doctor of chiropracty nap

I work a lot of nights and odd shifts and, in my spare time run my own business.

So you are in private practice.

Somehow i am not surprised.

Which is the non-story? The bed? The ?1,200 TV? The home cinema system? Or the corkscrew?

Makes Jim's ?1.39 irn bru look saintly.

And yes all at it etc, but c'mon, Robertson was pummelling Labour over Irn-Bru, what help in his job is any of that giving him?

doctor jambo

So you are in private practice.

Somehow i am not surprised.

OUtside the hospitals we all are

Thats why I'm not surprised.

If you worked in a hospital you would not be on JKB all the time.

Dump it and replace with relevant British Act. Conservatives want to amend it because amended version will protect the working man and his family in the UK. Also, we will be able to hold the Act makers to. Account whereas Human Rights Act dreamt up bu people who are unaccountable to UK citizens.

Protect the working man? Number one priority of the Tories.

You have to be having a laugh?

Dump it and replace with relevant British Act. Conservatives want to amend it because amended version will protect the working man and his family in the UK. Also, we will be able to hold the Act makers to. Account whereas Human Rights Act dreamt up bu people who are unaccountable to UK citizens.

Quick history on Human Rights, the UK and the ECHR:

1939-45 - WW2. A lot of bad, undemocratic, inhumane and all round nasty stuff happens. Appals the peoples of Europe.

1945-46 - Nuremberg trials against war criminals is engaged. David Maxwell-Fyfe, scots lawyer, Tory and government minister, leads the prosecution of numerous Nazi and Facists over breaches of human rights and the atrocities of the holocaust and war crimes.

1947-49 - Moves to European integration begin though the Council of Europe. Fyfe leads the pan-European parliamentary group on legal affairs and human rights. Group comes up with a statue to protect human rights...

1949-51 - Council of Europe drafts the European Convention of Human Rights. Fyfe and the UK government heavily involved in the drafting.

1952- today - Europe has a Human Righs court in Strasbourg and a charter of fundamental protections for all Europeans against their state governments. The ECHR is non-EU and open to the citizens of all members of the Council of Europe to appeal under at Strasbourg.

Many nations incorporate it into national law from the off and allow citizens to appeal the charter rights in domestic courts rather than going straight to Strasbourg. This domesticates rights. UK doesn't. But the Courts begin to read in Strasbourg jurisprudence themselves over time and an ad hoc application slowly develops.

1997 - Labour win landslide. Manifesto promises the Human Rights Act.

1998 - Parliament debates, scrutinises and passes the Human Rights Act. ECHR rights can now be directly appealed to in UK courts. Courts given powers to "read in" (bend the interpretation of Acts of Parliament) to be compatible or declare the provision incompatible - not invalidating law but registering a political concern over the law being compatible with the convention.

Years fly by. We're all happy. Prisoners can't vote. Blanket ban, doesn't matter about your sentence or crime, you can't vote. UK courts reject this outright. Appeal to Strasbourg - reasonable judgment says blanket bans are against the charter on the right to vote. Can ban prisoners but need to make it clearer than a blanket ban.

Tories furious. Reaction - blame European Courts and withdraw the HRA.

The Convention is a British convention. The Human Rights Act a British Act passed by the UK Parliament.

The issue the Tories have isn't with Europe or the Convention. It's with British Supreme Court judges using the HRA too well to interpret laws to protect people's rights from torture or deprivation of their rights.

Strasbourg can't change law in Britain. It can suggest change and say the UK is breaching the convention. But all that last bit means is we pay an annual fine to the Court for our breach - miniscule sum in the Justice Bill. It's up to the government to amend.

The Bill of a Rights is going to be identical. I mean, go and look at the ECHR and tell me which rights you'd exclude for a Bill of Rights.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I know it's a personal thing but who did you vote for in the referendum and the General Election?

I didn't vote.

I couldn't in the former but would have abstained on principle. I didn't in the GE because I have dual nationality now so I believe it isn't appropriate to do so.

Maple Leaf

I didn't vote.

I couldn't in the former but would have abstained on principle. I didn't in the GE because I have dual nationality now so I believe it isn't appropriate to do so.

Completely agree.  :thumbsup:

imo, ex-pats should tread carefully when involving themselves in UK politics.

A few disturbing issues involving your prof exposed today, doctor.

Poverty is your greatest business plan.

jack D and coke

This is a quote from Davey C. I wonder what people would make it if Ms Sturgeon or someone from the Nats said it....

post-912-14314992127551_thumb.jpg

jack D and coke

You got a source on that?

Id need to go right back through my Twitter feed. I had a quick look there but I can't remember what one I saw it on. It's to do with extremist views. I'll have a look later when I've got more time.

The Bill of a Rights is going to be identical. I mean, go and look at the ECHR and tell me which rights you'd exclude for a Bill of Rights.

So, why change it then?

I expect any Bill of Rights to fail to mention any employment rights that appear in the HRA, because that's what the Tories are about, imo.

Thunderstruck

So, why change it then?

I expect any Bill of Rights to fail to mention any employment rights that appear in the HRA, because that's what the Tories are about, imo.

Perhaps it will also hasten the demise of corroboration in Scotland.

You got a source on that?

It was quoted on Radio 4 this morning. Talking about stirring up "radical Islamic" views.

Highest employment figure on record announced this morning.

Average earnings increased by 1.9% in the year to March, 0.2% up on the previous month. Excluding bonuses, pay rose by 2.2%.

Balanced out by Bank of England revising down its growth forcasts slightly.

Edited by jambo1185

Pans Jambo

Average earnings increased by 1.9% in the year to March, 0.2% up on the previous month. Excluding bonuses, pay rose by 2.2%.

My arse average earnings increased by anything!

Probably did for the boardroom lot and the bankers but not for most of the country.

fiddled stats.

Will it protect the working man's right to take industrial action? Doubt it.

I quite like human rights, don't see why they should be abolished.

Protect the working man? Number one priority of the Tories.

You have to be having a laugh?

One of the first things Cameron did when he took power in the coalition with the lib-dems was to double the cost of industrial tribunals, pricing many out of appealing against things like constructive dismissal.

This is a quote from Davey C. I wonder what people would make it if Ms Sturgeon or someone from the Nats said it....

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1431499643.490999.jpg

This fits with the Snooper's Charter championed by May and also Cameron's nonsensical rhetoric about conspiracy theorists and peaceful demonstrations being considered "non-violent terrorism".

In most countries, MPS govern on behalf of the people. This corporate stooge acts like a corrupt dictator demonstrating nothing but contempt for the citizens he is meant to represent. Expect that delayed water cannon decision to be pushed through any moment now, probably on the backs of that recent demo as your right to peaceful demonstration (or even the right to meet in groups in public) are removed along with your rights under the ECHR, your rights to blog, your rights to freedom from being spied upon, your right to strike in various industries etc etc

And some on this thread had the temerity to label SNP/Indy supporters as fascists!!

jack D and coke

One of the first things Cameron did when he took power in the coalition with the lib-dems was to double the cost of industrial tribunals, pricing many out of appealing against things like constructive dismissal.

This fits with the Snooper's Charter championed by May and also Cameron's nonsensical rhetoric about conspiracy theorists and peaceful demonstrations being considered "non-violent terrorism".

In most countries, MPS govern on behalf of the people. This corporate stooge acts like a corrupt dictator demonstrating nothing but contempt for the citizens he is meant to represent. Expect that delayed water cannon decision to be pushed through any moment now, probably on the backs of that recent demo as your right to peaceful demonstration (or even the right to meet in groups in public) are removed along with your rights under the ECHR, your rights to blog, your rights to freedom from being spied upon, your right to strike in various industries etc etc

And some on this thread had the temerity to label SNP/Indy supporters as fascists!!

That's why I posted it mate. There's a few regular posters who must have an egg or two on their faces over this tbh.

Cameron even wants things like Whatsapp banned because it can't be snooped on and monitored.

But SNP bad bad bad.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

That is very worrying indeed!

Dave obviously thinks that people obeying the law have something to hide and may be pursued and harassed by the state.

This links into the the scrapping of the HRA and the introduction of his Snooper's Charter.

Free speech is fecked.

Gorgiewave

Before we all get into a tizz, let's see the SNP's record:

1. Reported to the UN by the Scottish Human Rights Commission "amid growing fears of an "illiberal" law-and-order agenda".

2. "Scotland has the highest level of stop and search in the UK, with the number also estimated to be nine times greater than the rate of New York police."

3. "Of the 519,213 searches recorded between April and December 2013, more than 70% were not rooted in law.

In its submission, the SHRC focused on the volume of searches and noted that children had been frisked."

4. The Named Person.

5. The threat to abolish the need for corroboration, now thankfully defeated.

6. Police officers routinely carrying guns even when there is no apparent need.

"It is a significant development that Kenny MacAskill's bullish and illiberal approach to stop and search, scrapping corroboration, and armed police will now be reviewed on an international level because of concerns over the impact they will have on human rights

www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/un-asked-to-monitor-scots-law-and-order.24967615

1. Reported to the UN by the Scottish Human Rights Commission "amid growing fears of an "illiberal" law-and-order agenda".

2. "Scotland has the highest level of stop and search in the UK, with the number also estimated to be nine times greater than the rate of New York police."

3. "Of the 519,213 searches recorded between April and December 2013, more than 70% were not rooted in law.

In its submission, the SHRC focused on the volume of searches and noted that children had been frisked."

4. The Named Person.

"It is a significant development that Kenny MacAskill's bullish and illiberal approach to stop and search, scrapping corroboration, and armed police will now be reviewed on an international level because of concerns over the impact they will have on human rights

www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/un-asked-to-monitor-scots-law-and-order.24967615

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32683817

Best place in Europe for equality regards the above.

4. The Named Person.

It's hardly the same level but equally I reject and oppose the SNP's tendency towards nannying. Police Scotland may have been a good concept on paper - however extending the bullish, zero tolerance approach used by Strathclyde Police, perhaps borne out of necessity with the gang/knife crime prevalent in Glasgow, across the whole of Scotland was not.

Whataboutery does not, however, protect anyone from the deliberate erosion of rights that will continue under the, quite frankly, fascist Conservative agenda. Labour were bad enough with their ramping up of the surveillance state to ensure the UK is ridiculous in it's over-use of CCTV and their opposition to strong encryption for electronic communication (let's forget they actually had a proposal at comittee level to place low-level x-ray machines and listening devices in lamposts to snoop into citizens rucksacks) but they, nor the slightly nannying SNP, hold no torch to the freedoms the Tories will gleefully strip from us. 

police looking into possibility of electoral fraud in South Thanet. :lol:

Thought that Al-Zebabist Nation of Ooog looked a bit dodgy.

:bobby:

Gorgiewave

More tears and snotters.

The first line of every 45er's autobiography:

The tale of a man who built himself an illusion to live by

The first line of every 45er's autobiography:

The tale of a man who built himself an illusion to live by

I'm not a 45er. More strawman nonsense.

Gorgiewave

Are you mad these days, toona? Is it because your imperial masters love you long time?

Don Draper

Don't knock the strawman argument. Without it, GW would have about 30 posts to his name, rather than 9,579.

Gorgiewave

Don't knock the strawman argument. Without it, GW would have about 30 posts to his name, rather than 9,579.

Strawmen and Ad Hominem are equally likewise just as bad.

It's been obvious for weeks that you don't care.

Eh?

Scotland being the most equal place in Europe for lgbt rights is a good thing, surely?

Don Draper

Eh?

Scotland being the most equal place in Europe for lgbt rights is a good thing, surely?

Of course it's a good thing, but you've shown him up (again) to be a slaverer, so he's irritated.

Are you mad these days, toona? Is it because your imperial masters love you long time?

Strawman then gibberish. Atleast the tears and snotters have mixed up your usual MO.

jambos are go!

Anyone who says MacAskill was fit for purpose is a slaver. I've derided him a few times over the years as easily led and not a leader IMO. A puppet on the string of the Police, Big Eck and other vested interests IMO.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

4. The Named Person.

Indeed. Correct.

But your immediate jump to whataboutery betrays a lack of actual care for the issues currently at hand. 

Anyone who says MacAskill was fit for purpose is a slaver. I've derided him a few times over the years as easily led and not a leader IMO. A puppet on the string of the Police, Big Eck and other vested interests IMO.

As a Labour man should you not be concerning yourself more with our extreme right wing UK government.

Sorry i forgot Labour hate the SNP more than the Tories. 

4. The Named Person.

OK now you have got that of your chest.

What do you as a Labour voter think of much more threatening moves by the Tories to restrict our civil liberties.

Hope you dont mind me asking but how come you got to vote in the GE and will you get a vote at Holyrood 2016 and Euro Referendum ? 

The HRA is Enshrined in Scots Law, so whats the consequences if the Uk government try to impose this Uk wide, it must throw other laws up in the air.

The PF office will be :D.