Boxing and UFC

Masonic

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Do you think UFC will be able to keep this kind of hold over MMA for the foreseeable? As far as I can see it’s held up like the Premier Division. 

I’m not that into it but I often wonder how MMA would look if it it ended up with the fractured farce of governing bodies that boxing has now. It’s not so much with boxing a single dysfunctional bowling committee there’s 4 main ones then a whole raft of others as well! Utterly mental how it splintered. 

I wonder if the UFC scene's on the wane as well, it certainly jumped the shark when McGregor fought Mayweather. It'll keep attracting new people but I'm pretty bored with it, a couple of people I know are too.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vegas-voss

• Masonic

• ri Alban

• cosanostra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Boxing is a joke.  Not the actual fight itself but trying to get fights to happen is.

Correct, one of the biggest barriers seems to be the amount of freedom there is in what can be in the contracts, there should be (know that with the different organisations that it'll never happen) a standard contract that determines ring size, covering, gloves to be used, promotional requirements etc and a designated purse split with all that's left to negotiate is a time and place.

That's where UFC has the advantage in that each fighter has a contract with the UFC and is then all but allocated fights, no negotiation on the location, the ring size, gloves/apparel or sponsorship etc, win and you make more than the loser, best performance of the night make more, win a title or headline a show and you make more again.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Correct, one of the biggest barriers seems to be the amount of freedom there is in what can be in the contracts, there should be (know that with the different organisations that it'll never happen) a standard contract that determines ring size, covering, gloves to be used, promotional requirements etc and a designated purse split with all that's left to negotiate is a time and place.

That's where UFC has the advantage in that each fighter has a contract with the UFC and is then all but allocated fights, no negotiation on the location, the ring size, gloves/apparel or sponsorship etc, win and you make more than the loser, best performance of the night make more, win a title or headline a show and you make more again.

Yea. I was surprised to learn there were different ring sizes 😱. Assumed it would be a standard thing , perhaps within a small tolerance/ allowance.

Strange 

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Another thing, fights falling through because one of the boxers can’t handle their name being 2nd, wtf 😂

Yeah it’s nonsense, champion v challenger, highest ranked v lowest ranked and if rankings can’t split them (ie one no2 wbo and the other no2 wbc) then alphabetical

Shooter McGavin
13 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah it’s nonsense, champion v challenger, highest ranked v lowest ranked and if rankings can’t split them (ie one no2 wbo and the other no2 wbc) then alphabetical

It becomes farcical when boxers say things like “I’ll fight anybody, anytime, anywhere” and then fights can’t get made cause they argue over who’s name goes first, who walks to the ring first, what changing rooms they get etc.

Fighters ego, promoters, broadcasters, boxing organisations/councils etc, there’s just so many layers of bullshit to go through, no wonder the sports a mess.

YouTubers are the only people keeping it half relevant at the moment ffs.

21 hours ago, Smithee said:

I wonder if the UFC scene's on the wane as well, it certainly jumped the shark when McGregor fought Mayweather. It'll keep attracting new people but I'm pretty bored with it, a couple of people I know are too.

That was the only fight featuring a UFC fighter I have ever watched and it was a farce. McGregor had absolutely zero chance of winning and I could clearly see that from the opening round.

Nice little earner though.

• 2 weeks later...
Shooter McGavin

John Fury taking his top off and offering YouTuber Jake Paul a square go at an exhibition event where the main event is Floyd Mayweather vs a YouTuber called Deji, who has 1 professional win, which was against another YouTuber.

Boxing 😂

12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

John Fury taking his top off and offering YouTuber Jake Paul a square go at an exhibition event where the main event is Floyd Mayweather vs a YouTuber called Deji, who has 1 professional win, which was against another YouTuber.

Boxing 😂

A man who is painted as a loveable rogue by the boxing media. 
Despite his long jail sentence for gouging someone’s eye out in a fight. 

Shooter McGavin
28 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A man who is painted as a loveable rogue by the boxing media. 
Despite his long jail sentence for gouging someone’s eye out in a fight. 

Horrendous stuff eh.

I think the punters are starting to wash their hands with the Fury’s, from John making an arse of himself on a regular basis, to Tyson fighting journeymen when bigger fights are out there for him.

Tyson also came across horrendously in his latest interview with YouTuber True Geordie. He couldn’t handle a few tough questions and spat the dummy calling him all the names under the sun. The same Tyson that spent years championing mental health.

48 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Boxing 😂

Total joke sport these days. 

Ruined.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

Fury vs Chisora kicks off in about half an hour.

1/20 for a Fury win...

This puts me off Tyson.

Shooter McGavin
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This puts me off Tyson.

Aye he doesn’t seem to be in a good place mentally to be honest. Seems really cagey and easily rattled in interviews of late.

I can’t imagine there’s been many PPV buys for this one either. £26.95 to watch a 38 year old Derek Chisora.

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye he doesn’t seem to be in a good place mentally to be honest. Seems really cagey and easily rattled in interviews of late.

I can’t imagine there’s been many PPV buys for this one either. £26.95 to watch a 38 year old Derek Chisora.

:facepalm:

He's a pain in the arse at times. And I don't get the need to fight Anthony Joshua. He's an imposter, who is only bummed up by the press.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Be funny if Fury gets beaten somehow tbh. Imagine chisora the WBC champion :rofl:

They've supposedly made a pact to go out there, stand in the centre of the ring and punch each other till they drop. So Del Boy might/may land that knockout punch.

We'll see.

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is literally being billed as the stay busy fight. 😂

Which is fair enough, but I’ve got a horrible feeling he’ll win this comfortably, and go back and fight Dillian Whyte, rather than Usyk or Joshua 😂

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They've supposedly made a pact to go out there, stand in the centre of the ring and punch each other till they drop. So Del Boy might/may land that knockout punch.

We'll see.

I would love it. Del Boy always had a soft spot for the mad man warrior. 

Nae chance fury will trade blows. Would be insanity. 

Shooter McGavin

The view from the top of the stadium must be absolutely f****** brutal 😂, unless you’re ringside, you’re better off watching it on the telly!

Fury literally just carrying him and could knock him out at will. Really is completely a pointless fight this. 

1 minute ago, Jambos_1874 said:

For those of you knowledgeable about boxing, how do you think Fury and Ali in their prime would have got on against eachother?

Fury would beat Ali.

In my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

For those of you knowledgeable about boxing, how do you think Fury and Ali in their prime would have got on against eachother?

Ali everyday and twice on Sunday. Far too quick. Mick Tyson and Lennox Lewis would take Tyson out early. Ali would take him into deep water and drawn him in the 15th.

7 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ali in his pomp would have struggled against the modern day giants. However if anyone could have figured a way it would have been him. 

I go fury 7 times out of ten. 

Shooter McGavin

I’m genuinely worried about Chisoras quality of life when he retires, he’s been on the end of a few batterings, including this one.

Just now, Barack said:

Travelling community got a mass bet on a particular round, I assume.

Otherwise, Fury's just really, really bored.

Trying to justify the fight.

Chisora will not have much quality of life after this. Referee and his corner should be ashamed to allow this to keep going. 

Did chisora have to take that much punishment? This fight should never have been sanctioned. Was a complete carbon copy of their last fight. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Not the best advert for the 'noble' art ☹️

I think it is ****ing brilliant tbh. 😂

Fury just looks better than he is as he is huge. He’s got tidy enough skills to keep opponents at arms length but the people now claiming he’s one of, if not the, greatest of all time are deluded.