Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Say What Again

Pretty similar tastes to myself, Alan. What about Narcos? That's superb. Daredevil is pretty decent as well.

Edited by Say What Again

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Struggling for a new show to watch. Please can someone recommend something based on my tastes:

Stuff I love: Black Sails, Game of Thrones, Gangland Undercover (well acted, liked that it was based on some true events, the undercover aspect appealed)

What I like: Outlander. West World, The 100

Average/ok shows: Vikings, Sons of Anarchy, Lost, The Walking Dead

Not my cup of tea: Breaking Bad

True detective?

Rudolf's Mate

Justified. Absolutely outstanding TV series.

Was one of my favourite things on telly. Gutted it finished.

The Expanse Season 2 has been pretty good so far.

Unlike Season 1, that had the writers disappearing up their own arses with convoluted plotlines, good old actiony sci-fi is very much to the fore.

I didn't get beyond episode 3 of the first season.

Suits is awesome

Agreed.

Struggling for a new show to watch. Please can someone recommend something based on my tastes:

Stuff I love: Black Sails, Game of Thrones, Gangland Undercover (well acted, liked that it was based on some true events, the undercover aspect appealed)

Have you tried StartUp with Martin Freeman? Brilliant viewing.

I'm sure a few mentioned The Last Kingdom. Obvious similarities to Vikings however I struggled with first couple of episodes. Stuck with it and it's turned out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Say What Again

Have you watched Stranger Things, Alan?

The second season is out at Halloween, so you'd only be one season behind if you haven't watched it already.

Was one of my favourite things on telly. Gutted it finished.

I didn't get beyond episode 3 of the first season.

Agreed.

I'm sure a few mentioned The Last Kingdom. Obvious similarities to Vikings however I struggled with first couple of episodes. Stuck with it and it's turned out really good.

will check out start up. Never heard of it.

I watched a few episodes of Last Kingdom but never stuck with it. I'd put it on par with Vikings, looks good, nice sets but overall just seems to meander along feeling pretty 'meh'. I think we've been spoiled by likes of Game of Thrones and Black Sails with the multi plot lines.

Have you watched Stranger Things, Alan?

The second season is out at Halloween, so you'd only be one season behind if you haven't watched it already.

I've not but the missus tried it and reckoned I wouldnt like it, might give it a go for myself though.

Thanks for all replies so far.

Anyone tried Frontier with Jason Momoa? looks like it could be decent

Rudolf's Mate

will check out start up. Never heard of it.

I watched a few episodes of Last Kingdom but never stuck with it. I'd put it on par with Vikings, looks good, nice sets but overall just seems to meander along feeling pretty 'meh'. I think we've been spoiled by likes of Game of Thrones and Black Sails with the multi plot lines.

I've not but the missus tried it and reckoned I wouldnt like it, might give it a go for myself though.

Thanks for all replies so far.

Anyone tried Frontier with Jason Momoa? looks like it could be decent

Yeah I struggled with first 3 episodes of Last Kingdom and actually had to force myself to go back to it.

StartUp is one of the best things I've watched in last 12 months along with The Night Of.

Im sorry but im not helping someone who didnt like Breaking Bad !!!!  come on  man ! lol Ok judging by your likes id  recommend Vikings and Taboo. 

Say What Again

What's black sails like?

I'm a big fan. Loads of action with loads of interesting characters. IMO it gets better and better each season.

One thing I will say though is stick with it through the first few episodes. To me it almost seemed to have a Disney/Sinbad feel to it and I wasn't sure I'd like it. It gets WAY better.

Quote from Alan_R on the Black Sails thread:

Best thing on tv. From season one seeing how characters have developed. Some seriously good acting and writers

Season 4 has blew it all out the water (pun intended) in the action stakes

Absolutely gutted this is the final season.

Edited by Say What Again

I'm a big fan. Loads of action with loads of interesting characters. IMO it gets better and better each season.

One thing I will say though is stick with it through the first few episodes. To me it almost seemed to have a Disney/Sinbad feel to it and I wasn't sure I'd like it. It gets WAY better.

Quote from Alan_R on the Black Sails thread:

Best thing on tv. From season one seeing how characters have developed. Some seriously good acting and writers

Season 4 has blew it all out the water (pun intended) in the action stakes

Absolutely gutted this is the final season.

Never seen big muff like that in the first episode in anything Disney haha

I miss Max's nudity.

Say What Again

Never seen big muff like that in the first episode in anything Disney haha

I miss Max's nudity.

Aye, very true :lol:

Disney's Blackbeard is very different.

blackbeardsghosts_leads.jpg

Just started this but has the potential to be seriously good. Excellent shout

Rudolf's Mate

Just started this but has the potential to be seriously good. Excellent shout

Wait until you get further in!

Stated watching Taken.Prequel of the movie apparently,stars Rollo from Vikings.First episode was ok not brilliant has potential to get better though.

Patriot just started watching this on Amazon.Its brilliant I reckon I will binge watch the whole season in a couple of days viewing.Funny dark espionage one of the best things I have watched in a while.

Can't go wrong with bates motel. Into its last season though, been consistently excellent.

Guilty pleasure of mines is the 100.

When the Feck is house of house coming back. Been ages since the last season ended. On a cliff hanger as wekl

OJ: Made In America

A 3 part in depth doc about OJ Simpsons live. Watched the first episode last night - 3 hours long - two more to go.

Very, very good. Lots of info about his highschool football career, first marriage etc before getting onto him meeting Nicole and their turbulent marriage. 

Lots of detail too on the civil rights issues that marred America and in particular the actions of the police force in more than a couple of occasions. 

Totally riveting watch and the first 3 hours flew in. Will be interested to see if it keeps my attention for the next 6 hours

Its split into 5 episodes of 90 minutes on Kodi. A bit easier to spare the time for.

QUOTE from a guy whos ethnic friend was coming to stay in LA - 'Its great but whatever you do, don't **** with the LAPD'

The series explores the deep anti police vs anti black issues going on around the same time and more or less offers that up as a reason why OJ was inexplicably aquitted.

Good watching and a new angle on the whole case for me that I hadn't really appreciated before but nothing not really seen before on the actual murders.

Edited by CollyWolly

Suits is awesome

Died a death around season 4-5 with repetitive story lines which were less credible by the week.

Stopped watching it.

Died a death around season 4-5 with repetitive story lines which were less credible by the week.

Stopped watching it.

I finished season four last night. Im still enjoying it at the moment

I finished season four last night. Im still enjoying it at the moment

Great series up to a point where I got a bit bored with it. Maybe just me

Great series up to a point where I got a bit bored with it. Maybe just me

I stopped watching it mid season four and just picked it up again.

maybe this helped. I stopped cause i didnt have time but i got a kodi so watching it through that now.

The Internet

Designated Survivor on Netflix has been decent so far, Kiefer Sutherland plays a politican who is made president after the rest of the cabinet are killed in a terror attack. Sounds cheesy, and is a bit, but it seems to be done well although I'm only 4 episodes in. Obligatory appearance from Michael Gaston who seems to show up in literally everything I watch :lol:

That StartUp sounds promising too, might give that a go.

APB on Fox

Legion on SyFy

if you haven't watched How to get away with murder, I'd recommend it

do you mean legion that is on fox? the marvel comics one

Rudolf's Mate

I get what some are saying about Suits however with a lot of these types of series you need to be able to not pick up on some of the daft/often absurd story lines. It's definitely changed however it's still brilliant.

Started watching The Patriot last night. Not quite sure what to make of it however there were some genuine lol moments in the first episode.

I get what some are saying about Suits however with a lot of these types of series you need to be able to not pick up on some of the daft/often absurd story lines. It's definitely changed however it's still brilliant.

Started watching The Patriot last night. Not quite sure what to make of it however there were some genuine lol moments in the first episode.

Yeah it's a bit offbeat.I really like it. Edited by vegas-voss

Rudolf's Mate

Yeah it's a bit offbeat.I really like it.

Aye I think it's going to be decent tbh. It's my 'watch in bed' series and I've woken the Mrs up laughing a few times already.

The Mary Poppins but with the kid and the umbrella :gok:

Cant find The Patriot on Traktv. Can you say who is in it and what channel its on ?

I've been getting into Legion too.  It has been pretty good so far.  Keeps you watching.  I am not familiar with the Marvel comic so have no expectations.  Definitely worth checking out

Started watching black sails and it is fairly decent so far. Hard to follow I think

Once you get familiar with the characters and their motives it becomes easier. Really is a great show.

Started FRONTIER.. well enough made, looks good and interesting enough story/concept. However I don't think its particularly well cast. A lot of the acting coming off as a bit corny or wooden. Will give it another episode or two to see how it develops.

JudyJudyJudy

Nearly finished " This is us".  Its an American " dramedy" ( mixture of humour and drama). Its about some different families and their lives. Its very good and id highly recommend. Its quite moving as well as funny. 

Netlix fourth Marvel series, Iron Fist starts next Friday

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/03/08/marvels-iron-fist-episode-1-snow-gives-way-review?read

From the trailers I've seen it is pretty much the same as Arrow on Amazon. Rich man returns after years of being missing. Becomes secret vigilante. Arrow was pretty rotten and Iron Fist looks worse.

I'll probably end up watching it though.

Just watched the first episode of Backstrom on Netflix on a recommendation of a friend. Not bad, grumpy seriously unPC borderline alcoholic cynical cop who runs everyone up the wrong way.

Not sure why she thought I'd like it.

Disser Pointon

Watched the first episode of Hand of God. Not sure what to make of it is it worth sticking with?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I highly recommend the Charlie Falco story(gangland undercover) it tells his story infiltrating biker gangs in America it is brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get familiar with the characters and their motives it becomes easier. Really is a great show.

Started FRONTIER.. well enough made, looks good and interesting enough story/concept. However I don't think its particularly well cast. A lot of the acting coming off as a bit corny or wooden. Will give it another episode or two to see how it develops.

Stuck with it. Getting hooked now :pleasing:

I highly recommend the Charlie Falco story(gangland undercover) it tells his story infiltrating biker gangs in America it is brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tremendous! I keep banging on about it but no one seems to have taken me up about it.

I think they chose a poor name for the show. Think it maybe gives people a false impressions of what it's about.

Well acted and tense. I couldn't stop watching it. Gutted when id worked my way through

Billy St John has a similiar story. Good book on his undercover story. Mel Gibson making that one into a film apparently.

Tremendous! I keep banging on about it but no one seems to have taken me up about it.

I think they chose a poor name for the show. Think it maybe gives people a false impressions of what it's about.

Well acted and tense. I couldn't stop watching it. Gutted when id worked my way through

Billy St John has a similiar story. Good book on his undercover story. Mel Gibson making that one into a film apparently.

Thanks for that I will give that a try aswell, I've just started the second season and wow what an opening scene

Thanks for that I will give that a try aswell, I've just started the second season and wow what an opening scene

THERE IS A SECOND SEASON!? thought it was wrapped up after season one. You've just made my day, away to check it out!

THERE IS A SECOND SEASON!? thought it was wrapped up after season one. You've just made my day, away to check it out!

Thanks for the recommendation of black sails.

Hannah New (aka Eleanor Guthrie) [insert Dale Carrick smiley here]

Would cash my saving and wife for 5 mins.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Another who has just started on Gangland Undercover.Steaight away I am far preferring this to Sons Of Anarchy probably caused it's based on real events and not over blown shit that SOA was.

Thanks for the recommendation of black sails.

Hannah New (aka Eleanor Guthrie) [insert Dale Carrick smiley here]

Would cash my saving and wife for 5 mins.

More of a max (jessica Parker Kennedy) fan myself but they are all a nice bonus!

More of a max (jessica Parker Kennedy) fan myself but they are all a nice bonus!

She stopped getting naked after about two season though

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series