Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

4 hours ago, Americana said:

All caught up on "The Bear" this really is tremendous TV. Youll laugh , youll cry , youll mostly likely relate if you are close with your family.

Watched the first episode and couldn't grasp an attraction.

Nasty shouty Americans being nasty shouty Americans.

Will try ep2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Watched the first episode and couldn't grasp an attraction.

Nasty shouty Americans being nasty shouty Americans.

Will try ep2

The first episode is seriously in your face. It all calms down after that. I felt the same when I watched it 

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The first episode is seriously in your face. It all calms down after that. I felt the same when I watched it 

Yeah, I found the shouting too much too but it gets way better after the ep1. Stick with it @Tommy Brown

2 hours ago, Sex Panther said:

S2 in particular is excellent.

Even quite emotional within the flashbacks , characters have a great chemistry with each other.

Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland. Totally mental and includes lots of footage that hasn't been shown before (or just forgotten). The people interviewed are extremely forthright, from both sides of the divide. Doesn't look like anything is changing soon.

On 22/08/2023 at 12:08, Americana said:

All caught up on "The Bear" this really is tremendous TV. Youll laugh , youll cry , youll mostly likely relate if you are close with your family.

Tremendous television, first series was panic inducing at times and if anything there are a couple of episodes in series 2 that are even more intense but absolutely brilliant from start to finish and even the cameos are handled brilliantly. 

Ps as someone who used to work in kitchens the stress and chaos feels very real 

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Tremendous television, first series was panic inducing at times and if anything there are a couple of episodes in series 2 that are even more intense but absolutely brilliant from start to finish and even the cameos are handled brilliantly. 

Ps as someone who used to work in kitchens the stress and chaos feels very real 

Yes chef.

On 23/08/2023 at 11:09, Americana said:

Even quite emotional within the flashbacks , characters have a great chemistry with each other.

Heard.😉

William H. Bonney

I watched deadloch on amazon recently. 

An Australian comedy series centred on the murders of several men in a small town.

It's very funny. 

Not a TV series but a YouTube series.Stephen Hendry's Cue Tips for anybody that likes snooker.Very good interviews and he is actually really good at doing it.Barry Hearn was a really good one , I wish the **** Scottish football had listened to that man.

Edited by vegas-voss

Painkiller on Netflix. Ooooft. About the opioid crisis in America and how one particular wenker made a fortune selling the drug. Fascinating stuff , stars Matthew Broderick of all people who is actually brilliant and thoroughly dislikeable so job done. True story based

8/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

21 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Painkiller on Netflix. Ooooft. About the opioid crisis in America and how one particular wenker made a fortune selling the drug. Fascinating stuff , stars Matthew Broderick of all people who is actually brilliant and thoroughly dislikeable so job done. True story based

8/10

Thought this was great.

The director Peter Berg was on Joe Rogan this week talking about it.

If you liked this watch Dopesick with Michael Keaton. It's probably the better of the 2

15 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Thought this was great.

If you liked this watch Dopesick with Michael Keaton. It's probably the better of the 2

Is it worth watching Painkiller if you have seen Dopesick?  Are they essentially covering the same story with Painkiller or there a different angle?

I watched dopesick first and found that it goes deeper into the scandal on the legal side.

Felt dopesick hits harder on the issue but painkiller is worth the watch.

Can be a bit hard at the start of each episode when a real family who have lost someone to Oxy read out the disclaimer (last episodes one got me😭)

On 30/08/2023 at 21:46, Madjambo21 said:

Thought this was great.

Dopesick was brilliant I seen the trailer for Painkiller and it looked like a lower budget version.

19 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

Is it worth watching Painkiller if you have seen Dopesick?  Are they essentially covering the same story with Painkiller or there a different angle?

Looks like exactly the same story.Cant really get a different angle that pharma company are *****.Thing is though it continues to happen in the US poor *******s fleeced and conned at every opportunity by big pharma.

Watching the old “ twilight zones “ some episodes are really out standing . Excellent . “ black mirror “ is very similar to it I feel . 

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Looks like exactly the same story.Cant really get a different angle that pharma company are *****.Thing is though it continues to happen in the US poor *******s fleeced and conned at every opportunity by big pharma.

Was the same here, cheaper buying certain medicine than paying the prescription charge. Now that we have free prescriptions I shudder thinking what the NHS are getting charged 😧😧

On 31/08/2023 at 13:28, Disco Dave said:

Very much so. About the same story and still quite heavily about the Sacklers but it is told from a different angle. 

I enjoyed both a lot.

On 01/09/2023 at 11:58, Jeff said:

Started The Bear based off a recommendation on here.

Easily one of the best series in a long time!

It's absolutely tremendous, I have worked in kitchens that were that stressful but not quite as chaotic, thank god I got out of that line of work because I think I would be an alcoholic now 

Foundation continues to be superb.

Yes, there's lots of mystical scientific mumbo jumbo but it's a superb political thriller at heart.

Book nerds will probably rage about certain departures from the source material but this is top notch television.

Lee Pace and Jared Harris are both superb in their roles.

Started watching tv series the boys on Amazon prime last night. 3 episodes in and still not sure what to make of it.

Worth persevering with?

Edited by Chaps

Finished season 2 of The Bear, outstanding!

You can feel the stress of working in a kitchen (and crimbo dinner ep.6) oozing from the screen.

10 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Started watching tv series the boys on Amazon prime last night. 3 episodes in and still not sure what to make of it.

Worth persevering with?

Absolutely worth persevering with. Just keeps getting better and better. One of the best series on TV if you enjoy dark humour, over the top violence mixed with a bit of social commentary! 

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Worth persevering with?

The Boys is absolutely superb.

Biting satire on the modern world, from taking the piss out of the Superhero industry to social media to politics to everything else, no subject is safe.

Violent, rude, funny, shocking and action-packed in equal measure.

The Boys is the response to people who say "they'd never get away with that these days"

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Worth persevering with?

its great, keep going with it

A spinoff from The Boys, set in a college for superheroes, starts on Prime later this month. The next season of the main show won't be on until next year, so might be something to watch in the meantime

Enjoy the Netflix series on the Fury family.

Easily one of the most likable sports personalities going, his other half comes off really well in it too. Some cringe clearly moments with his dad slightly bringing down the appeal though.

Disser Pointon
On 03/09/2023 at 09:41, jim747 said:

Finished season 2 of The Bear, outstanding!

You can feel the stress of working in a kitchen (and crimbo dinner ep.6) oozing from the screen.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending TBH, but great otherwise.

1 hour ago, Telford_jambo123 said:

Just finished watching hijack with ildris Elba.  8/10

Yes it was no bad . So full of plot holes but entertaining enough . 

On 03/09/2023 at 09:36, Chaps said:

Worth persevering with?

Definitely mate, pretty messed up in ways but very entertaining 

Based on this thread and general all round acclaim, I've been binging "The Bear" for the last couple of days.

I don't get it.

As far as I can tell, the entire script is:

"AAAY I'M MAKIN A SANDWICH OVAH HEEEEERE!"

rQo6EvE.gif

22 hours ago, Cade said:

Based on this thread and general all round acclaim, I've been binging "The Bear" for the last couple of days.

I don't get it.

As far as I can tell, the entire script is:

"AAAY I'M MAKIN A SANDWICH OVAH HEEEEERE!"

rQo6EvE.gif

I done s1 on advice on here, certainly not for comedy value.

I will watch s2 out of nosiness.

Certainly not highly rated by me.