Watches

jack D and coke

Omega have made a standard version of the Apollo 45th Anniversary Moonwatch with the aventurine dial and it's now part of their regular range. I'd love one of those but can't really part with 5k without being killed or divorced by my wife at the moment. Maybe one day.

The steel strap one is the bomb.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cosanostra

Sold my little, basic Monaco on for ?1250 which is about ?250 more than I paid for it.

I rarely wore it because I felt that the black leather strap and black face made it look too formal and classy for any sort of everyday use.

Even when I wear a suit or kilt (maybe a couple of times a year) I'm a brown leather shoe and belt type so the black Tag Monaco just wasn't me.

I loved the look of the thing but I also felt that it was just a bit too small for my size hands and wrists.

It's gone now and I need a new formal event watch.

I've still got my Breitling Avenger Blackbird with the black titanium case and black Nato strap for everyday use. I love it. It looks great with everything from shorts and t-shirt to shirt and jeans.

I've also still got my Tag Carerra Calibre 16 with the brown leather strap. It's great. Really versatile, smart watch with a chronograph. 

Been considering another Monaco but this time a Chronograph which is fatter and larger in the face and with a different coloured face and strap. 

That or possibly the moonphase sapphire sandwich Moonwatch.

Any recommendations from the crew?

I love the new Heur Carerra and Monza re-issues but the Carerra is too similar to what I have and the Monza has black strap and black face.

The other piece that's really caught my eye recently is the below Zenith bronze pilot watch. Unusual but I rather like it.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/zenith-pilot-extra-special-bronze-29-2430-679-21-c753.html

John Findlay

I bought a Tissot from the ship's NAAFI shop for ?56 back in 1980. Still wear it to this day.

cosanostra

I bought a Tissot from the ship's NAAFI shop for ?56 back in 1980. Still wear it to this day.

They are highly regarded as quality, affordable pieces John.

John Findlay

They are highly regarded as quality, affordable pieces John.

No argument from me. To me it's a lovely watch.

Hugh Phamism

Sold my little, basic Monaco on for ?1250 which is about ?250 more than I paid for it.

I rarely wore it because I felt that the black leather strap and black face made it look too formal and classy for any sort of everyday use.

Even when I wear a suit or kilt (maybe a couple of times a year) I'm a brown leather shoe and belt type so the black Tag Monaco just wasn't me.

I loved the look of the thing but I also felt that it was just a bit too small for my size hands and wrists.

It's gone now and I need a new formal event watch.

I've still got my Breitling Avenger Blackbird with the black titanium case and black Nato strap for everyday use. I love it. It looks great with everything from shorts and t-shirt to shirt and jeans.

I've also still got my Tag Carerra Calibre 16 with the brown leather strap. It's great. Really versatile, smart watch with a chronograph.

Been considering another Monaco but this time a Chronograph which is fatter and larger in the face and with a different coloured face and strap.

That or possibly the moonphase sapphire sandwich Moonwatch.

Any recommendations from the crew?

I love the new Heur Carerra and Monza re-issues but the Carerra is too similar to what I have and the Monza has black strap and black face.

The other piece that's really caught my eye recently is the below Zenith bronze pilot watch. Unusual but I rather like it.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/zenith-pilot-extra-special-bronze-29-2430-679-21-c753.html

Got one of these in Singapore recently, and saved more than ?700 on the RRP. I travel a lot and find the Twin time function really useful to keep check on my Singapore HQ office hours.

97b100cf0dbe0d61ff21160c9880a135.jpg

I try and switch every 2nd day with my Breitling Avenger Chrono, and like the difference in styles. I did have to invest in an auto-winder though just to keep both watches fully wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cosanostra

Got one of these in Singapore recently, and saved more than ?700 on the RRP. I travel a lot and find the Twin time function really useful to keep check on my Singapore HQ office hours. 97b100cf0dbe0d61ff21160c9880a135.jpg

I try and switch every 2nd day with my Breitling Avenger Chrono, and like the difference in styles. I did have to invest in an auto-winder though just to keep both watches fully wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like it.

Very similar to my carerra.

If you're after a dressier one, how about a look at Cartier? I now have a large sized Cartier Roadster automatic. There is a mid size and an XL so you have to be careful which you buy. The large is about 36mm across but it wears much better than than due to the out-and-out Tonneau shape. Other than that there are some lovely pieces in the Cartier de Santos range.

Like you Cosa, I got rid of the Monaco I briefly had. It was a re-issue McQueen chrono but I never took to it.

I now run with a Rolex Submariner 14060 ( no date 2 line ) as well as the Explorer II I've had for a long time ( for me ). With the Roadster and a TAG Heuer Calibre S regatta chrono from the Gulf Oils range.

For other versatile dressier Rolex. Have a look at the Milgauss and Datejust II.

Good shout from, Victorian.

I'd love the Milgauss. (Blue dial). Ref 116400GV for google image purposes.

cosanostra

Not really into those Cartier watches at all Vic. They look very fancy and dressy and too suave for me. 

I think the Milgauss are quite cool but I like GMT master 2 and even the Sea Dweller 4000 much better.

The blue dial looks the part on the Milgauss Sten.

@VladMagic

Im after a new watch. Currently on a Tag Formula 1 Caliber S Chronograph. Lovely watch. Not to big and goes with anything im wearing, casual or formal.

Budget wise im looking at 3 maybe 4K. Something a bit different? For the younger wearer? Not into Omegas or Rolex. Metal strap only.

Suggestions please?

cosanostra

Im after a new watch. Currently on a Tag Formula 1 Caliber S Chronograph. Lovely watch. Not to big and goes with anything im wearing, casual or formal.

Budget wise im looking at 3 maybe 4K. Something a bit different? For the younger wearer? Not into Omegas or Rolex. Metal strap only.

Suggestions please?

I like these a lot.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/zenith-el-primero-synopsis-03-2170-4613-01-m2170.html

When you see the movement ticking it's hard to look away. Hypnotic almost. Very cool. Harrods has a great Zenith section if you're ever down in London. Not that I would buy it from there of course.

I've been keeping an eye out for something retro and inexpensive. Liking this a lot:

16f18-9.jpg

Rudolf's Mate

Mrs bought me one 9 years ago for Christmas and it's been brilliant. Kids have dropped it and broke the strap and scratched it to bits but it's still going strong. I'd have no hesitation buying another Tissot tbh.

6062f9a27e4de1e3dc2dec88d25e651b.jpg

Is that square bit part of the watch? Looks awful. Like something out of blake's 7.

Each to their own of course, if we all liked the same things life would be a bit dull.

It's 70's very retro futuristic cool..

Also really liking this:

14JL8-10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is ebay any good for watches?

Asked advice on another thread about cars and ebay came up as a good source for whta I'm after..

That got me looking and came a cross a few watches thatlok really nice however the first 25 or so were "from India" and only had max 7 mins to run..

Is that the norm or was it coincidence?

Dont trust a watch from India,.. Screams fake and rip off to me.

Budget for watch about 20 x less than budget for car so looking not to be ripped off...

Any links to (In users opinions through experience) other sites for watches appreciated... I have a link to creation watches athanks to the excellent reviews on here and am considering a purchase from there (once new credit card comes through ;) )..

The very best source of pre-owned watches at the best possible prices and with 100% confidence of authenticity and condition are the various forums on the subject. You will need to register and take part in the general discussion before being able to buy & sell. Minimum post counts are required and those posts must be genuine attempts at participation and not speed posting. Forum admins will quickly empty anyone who is obviously posting only to gain access to sales sections.

Ebay is fine and the best value normally comes from private sellers. If you look at enough listings you'll see which people are the genuine, honest types and which ones less so. Look at listings and then research them in the review and forum pages on the Internet. Take care to note model numbers and movements, etc. Compare photographs. It can take a while but you can build up a general awareness of brands, models numbers, movements and overall knowledge. Eventually you will build up a good sense of what looks kosher and what looks shady.

The very best source of pre-owned watches at the best possible prices and with 100% confidence of authenticity and condition are the various forums on the subject. You will need to register and take part in the general discussion before being able to buy & sell. Minimum post counts are required and those posts must be genuine attempts at participation and not speed posting. Forum admins will quickly empty anyone who is obviously posting only to gain access to sales sections.

Ebay is fine and the best value normally comes from private sellers. If you look at enough listings you'll see which people are the genuine, honest types and which ones less so. Look at listings and then research them in the review and forum pages on the Internet. Take care to note model numbers and movements, etc. Compare photographs. It can take a while but you can build up a general awareness of brands, models numbers, movements and overall knowledge. Eventually you will build up a good sense of what looks kosher and what looks shady.

Good advice.

I have used watchuseek. The drawback there is that a lot of the sellers (but not all) are in the US and will not ship to the UK.

I thought it was an interesting site with some very knowledgable & helpful posters.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

kingantti1874

I like these a lot.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/zenith-el-primero-synopsis-03-2170-4613-01-m2170.html

When you see the movement ticking it's hard to look away. Hypnotic almost. Very cool. Harrods has a great Zenith section if you're ever down in London. Not that I would buy it from there of course.

Have you used iconic watches before?

Very much this. 

I have bought watches from Ebay, but beware of stock pics or pics that don't show you everything such as guarantee cards, boxes or full condition, ask if you are unsure in any way and get more pics.

kingantti1874

I'd like this watch. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford it though. :44:

Rolex.jpeg

I've seen that before - obviously it's a Daytona but I'm sure it was an anniversary edition.. It's probably ?50k plus...

cosanostra

Have you used iconic watches before?

No but i would.

Pretty sure Sten has used them a couple of times and was happy with them.

They have about the best prices anywhere.

No but i would.

Pretty sure Sten has used them a couple of times and was happy with them.

They have about the best prices anywhere.

Used them twice. As has a friend of mine. Top company.

hmfc_liam06

As per my post earlier in the year, I picked out a Bulova watch for my birthday. RRP was around ?500 but marked down to ?300. Budget was only ?200 or so but went with the little extra - love it. I now have a bit of a watch bug and already looking around for another.

Rudolf's Mate

:wub:

N5ftY4t.png

uXuIRq3.png

8QQL9mx.png

Had to go back looking for this one as I originally saw it whilst catching up on my phone. Gorgeous. 

• 1 month later...

A wee hieds up for those who like thier watches, sportpersuit are selling "morphic" watches for much cheapness, ?790 down to ?110, I know bugger all about them but is that not a good deal?

Shit start to the day. Decide that it's a nice day to wear a vintage Seiko on a black leather strap, nice and understated for a Friday. Then manage to knock it off the kitchen counter so it lands edge down on a slate tiled floor and the second hand has popped off.

So anyway what's the address for the guy off Broughton Street that does servicing and repairs?

So I've ended up with an old Seiko SKX009 diver instead.

Notbrainwashed

Had to go back looking for this one as I originally saw it whilst catching up on my phone. Gorgeous. 

That's nice. Brown leather strap? Here's a question - where can I get decent leather straps (would love to try a brown) for perhaps switching out my Speedmaster bracelet from time to time?

Notbrainwashed

Also, where's best to get an Omega serviced?  Laings have their own folks on-site I believe, but always good to hear recommendations

Hamilton Inches have some nice premium leather straps, in all sorts of colours.

Has anyone heard much about Dornbleuth and Sohn? www.dornblueth.com/ 

Also, where's best to get an Omega serviced? Laings have their own folks on-site I believe, but always good to hear recommendations

I'll likely be sending mind directly to Omefa themselves. Via any local authorised retailer.

Prob won't get it done until it's at least 7 years old though. Perhaps longer.

• 1 month later...

Inherited a Sieko watch from a relative.

Quite old and not worth much I don't think, just sentimental value really.

It needs a couple links removed, along with a screen clean and probably a battery replacement.

Where can I get this done near Slateford? Also what price are we talking roughly?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone elee noticed a huge change in Swiss watch prices in UK Sterling now that the value of the pound has plummeted?

Iconic Watches prices have jumped quite a lot in a short period of time.

A 4k Zenith I've been looking at is now 5.1k

Australian airport duty free prices are way better than Iconic now.

I think a great many imported products will show retail increases. Our work has already seen a couple of suppliers altering their trade price lists, citing currency issues. Swiss watches will be no different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just stumbled on these guys, New, British made, motor themed watches.

http://www.omologatowatches.com/

Cheap, with cheap quartz mechanism, but plans to move to mechanical and automatics in the near future. I particulary like the Ecurie Ecosse model, which has Swiss made quartz internals.

1cd02995b6cbe1c79530f2930518a0e4.jpg

8af7d6786d99fa3cd3619e9b19ddace0.jpg152c2c1247f6eb444c011e68ba5ab5ee.jpg

Edited by Hugh Phamism

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest/recommend a UK vendor of steel watch bracelets. I've had a quick look on ebay but all I can find is US sellers.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I expect Tomian in Forth Street is now closed.  

He was spotted lifting furniture out of the workshop into a van and he mentioned this was his year of retiral.  

Can anyone else recommend a reliable Edinburgh location to get a battery replaced?