Watches

jack D and coke

Since this thread has started I have transformed myself into a mildly obsessive watch collector. Not bad for someone who got a Rotary for their 18th and has had it ever since!

I Now have said Rotary, A Mondaine Swiss Railway watch with day and date. A Tissot PR200. I'm also waiting on a Jorg Gray coming.

Tonight I've bought a Seiko 5.

Thing is, I don't want to ruin any of these at work, so I'm after a cheaper watch that I can bang about as I do a heavy job. Was thinking a lorus because they are made by Seiko? Any other budget(ish) brands that are made by the bigger companies that would be a shout.

Looking at this one -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorus-Mens-Black-Strap-Watch/dp/B009OA1SU8/ref=sr_1_2?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1448170822&sr=1-2&keywords=lorus+day+date

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since this thread has started I have transformed myself into a mildly obsessive watch collector. Not bad for someone who got a Rotary for their 18th and has had it ever since!

I Now have said Rotary, A Mondaine Swiss Railway watch with day and date. A Tissot PR200. I'm also waiting on a Jorg Gray coming.

Tonight I've bought a Seiko 5.

Thing is, I don't want to ruin any of these at work, so I'm after a cheaper watch that I can bang about as I do a heavy job. Was thinking a lorus because they are made by Seiko? Any other budget(ish) brands that are made by the bigger companies that would be a shout.

Looking at this one -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorus-Mens-Black-Strap-Watch/dp/B009OA1SU8/ref=sr_1_2?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1448170822&sr=1-2&keywords=lorus+day+date

For a cheap, hard-wearing, good quality watch, you can't go wrong with a Casio G-Shock.

For a cheap, hard-wearing, good quality watch, you can't go wrong with a Casio G-Shock.

Perfect for wearing at work, in the gym, swimming in the sea and pretty much everything else you can throw at them.

G shocks are far too busy on the face for me.

Will probably just stick to wearing my rotary. It's stood up to 15 or so years of abuse and still kooks great so I'll keep going with that just now.

Bought a Panerai Luminor last year and very pleased with it.

I am looking at an Omega De Ville at the minute (think i am getting the Mrs to contribute for my Christmas).

Looking at Iconic Watches i can save around ?200-400 compared to Omega shop - i have seen a few posters mention them on this thread, I assume its all legit and no one has had any problems with them?

Bought a Panerai Luminor last year and very pleased with it.

I am looking at an Omega De Ville at the minute (think i am getting the Mrs to contribute for my Christmas).

Looking at Iconic Watches i can save around ?200-400 compared to Omega shop - i have seen a few posters mention them on this thread, I assume its all legit and no one has had any problems with them?

Hmmm!

From Trustpilot -

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/iconicwatches.co.uk

Our watches are predominately purchased as described in our website as Unworn and preowned watches. We purchase registered watches from authorised dealers, unworn means that they still have case seals on them however the warranty card will have been dated prior to purchase. This is stated on the site and its also stated on your invoice that the watches are sold on the margin scheme.

Hmmm!

From Trustpilot -

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/iconicwatches.co.uk

Our watches are predominately purchased as described in our website as Unworn and preowned watches. We purchase registered watches from authorised dealers, unworn means that they still have case seals on them however the warranty card will have been dated prior to purchase. This is stated on the site and its also stated on your invoice that the watches are sold on the margin scheme.

The watch I want is one they don't have in stock so I assume they will purchase that and then instantly sell on - so the warranty card will not be too far out of date of purchase.

Have you any experience in dealing with them?

The watch I want is one they don't have in stock so I assume they will purchase that and then instantly sell on - so the warranty card will not be too far out of date of purchase.

Have you any experience in dealing with them?

Used them twice.

I bought my Planet Ocean for ?4000 instead of ?5240.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer for the misses ?890 instead of ?1250.

My watch needed ordered in and the warranty card was bang up to date. The Aquaracer was already in stock and the warranty card was 1 month old.

I have a couple of mates who've bought a Submariner and a DateJust ii. Again with no problems.

Their service has always been superb and they reply to emails promptly. There is sometimes room for a wee bit haggling on in stock items.

Edited by Sten Guns

Used them twice.

I bought my Planet Ocean for ?4000 instead of ?5240.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer for the misses ?890 instead of ?1250.

My watch needed ordered in and the warranty card was bang up to date. The Aquaracer was already in stock and the warranty card was 1 month old.

I have a couple of mates who've bought a Submariner and a DateJust ii. Again with no problems.

Their service has always been superb and they reply to emails promptly. There is sometimes room for a wee bit haggling on in stock items.

Thanks for the info.

I had been looking for a vintage Omega but having no luck without taking a risk online. Went to the Omega store the other day and have now talked myself into going for something with a classic look but avoiding the hassle of maintaining an old watch (if I ever found what I was looking for)

So leaning towards -

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x588/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/2/42413402002001_f_n_o.jpg

Save ?480 on RRP but not in stock at the minute.

Thanks for the info.

I had been looking for a vintage Omega but having no luck without taking a risk online. Went to the Omega store the other day and have now talked myself into going for something with a classic look but avoiding the hassle of maintaining an old watch (if I ever found what I was looking for)

So leaning towards -

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x588/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/2/42413402002001_f_n_o.jpg

Save ?480 on RRP but not in stock at the minute.

Nice mate. I like the blue face one personally.

TfvrNLg.png

I've added a Steinhart Racetimer chronograph (cal. Valjoux 7750) to join the Ocean44 I have. Picture posting is goosed for now but do an image search.

Really like the new model De Villes. They are very dressy and classy looking. Thought about buying one last year but got a sweet deal on a Monaco instead.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Looking at a few window displays it seems that the trend is for standard size watches again and the days of carrying a plate on a strap around may be going. Is that what the experts see as the future in timepiece circles ? At least my small collection looks up to date again if true.

Looking at a few window displays it seems that the trend is for standard size watches again and the days of carrying a plate on a strap around may be going. Is that what the experts see as the future in timepiece circles ? At least my small collection looks up to date again if true.

What do you class as a plate and what do you calls as standard size?

It's not all about case width remember. Lower profile cases with short lug length can wear quite nicely, even if the width sounds big. To get a real idea of wearability you need the width, length and height. Wearing the watch on it's bracelet or a strap can make a difference to how it sits. A good oyster style bracelet can make a larger watch wear smaller. Square cases tend to wear very big. A square case will be quite large even if the dimensions sound small.

All roads lead to Gorgie

What do you class as a plate and what do you calls as standard size?

Something like this company were producing or a divers watch for instance.

Sorry picture didn't appear but I was thinking the oversize TW Steel watches. Standard size in my opinion would be about a 40mm face.

Hope that is clear :2thumbsup:

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Used to hanker after a Tag.. Then I went off them with the whole formula 1 thing..

Would, however, have one of these in a heartbeat..

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/tag-heuer-watches-362/tag-heuer-aquaracer-calibre-5-black-dial-300m-way2110-ft8021-mens-watch-7415.html

Simple, not full of unusable chronography pish... just a nice looking, understated, quality watch..

Used to hanker after a Tag.. Then I went off them with the whole formula 1 thing..

Would, however, have one of these in a heartbeat..

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/tag-heuer-watches-362/tag-heuer-aquaracer-calibre-5-black-dial-300m-way2110-ft8021-mens-watch-7415.html

Simple, not full of unusable chronography pish... just a nice looking, understated, quality watch..

quality watch alright.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ThehandsofZibi

Really fancying the Breitling Superocean 42 with the blue face just now. Never spent this kind of cash on a watch before so looking for some opinions on whether they're decent or if id be better looking at an Omega. Was working for a watchmaker the other month who told me to stay away from Tag's and Rolex's

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this on Amazon,..

Really like it,.. may start saving (I'm a mature student so ?160 needs to be saved these days..)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Casual-Leather-Watch-FERAL005B0/dp/B0191KYP4G/ref=sr_1_306?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1453401270&sr=1-306&keywords=orient+watches

I'll check creation watches to see if they do them...

For ?200 the answer is always and will always be Seiko or Citizen. Usually Seiko. But always wait as long as you can and keep adding to the budget if you can because ?400 is a completely different world.

For ?200 the answer is always and will always be Seiko or Citizen. Usually Seiko. But always wait as long as you can and keep adding to the budget if you can because ?400 is a completely different world.

To be honest I'm really not that fussed about going dearer and dearer. Just looking for a nice looking watch/watches that I can point out to my mum to get me for my birthday.

As another poster said, Seiko & Citizen are good value at that price. Edited by 269miles

Does anyone have any recommendations on a sub ?200 watch. I'm quite liking the black metal look and nothing overly fussy.

I had seen this - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-armani-exchange-watch-ax2104-p99953400.html

Also liked this - http://www.watchshop.com/mens-michael-kors-runway-chronograph-watch-mk8157-p99944943.html?altproduct=1

And for something a little different - http://www.johnlewis.com/skagen-skw6180-men's-holst-chronograph-stainless-steel-mesh-bracelet-strap-watch-gunmetal-black/p2255408?navAction=jump 

I've got the Red Arrows Citizen Eco Drive and it's a beauty.

You don't say what type of watch you are looking for - dress/diver/designer label ?

Another good brand IMO is Orient - I have a Blue Mako divers watch and I wear it every day. For the price it's great value (company is owned by Seiko and they make their own movements in house).

I've used Creation Watches twice to buy a couple of Seikos (their prices are great and they are reliable people to deal with). Based in Singapore , usually get the stuff to the UK within 5 days.

Really liking the Breitling Superocean Heritage, although not sure if 46mm is a bit big.

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/breitling-superocean-heritage-46-a1732024-g642-152a.html

I would recommend trying it for size first. I have an Avenger II Chrono at 43mm, and it's big and chunky. I felt that the Super Avenger at 46mm was too big.

I've got the Red Arrows Citizen Eco Drive and it's a beauty.

You don't say what type of watch you are looking for - dress/diver/designer label ?

Another good brand IMO is Orient - I have a Blue Mako divers watch and I wear it every day. For the price it's great value (company is owned by Seiko and they make their own movements in house).

I've used Creation Watches twice to buy a couple of Seikos (their prices are great and they are reliable people to deal with). Based in Singapore , usually get the stuff to the UK within 5 days.

Just looking for a nice, classic looking watch (with a bit of a modern twist, hence the black options above). It'll mostly be worn when going out, attire would generally be jeans and a polo or shirt. Wouldn't mind a bit of versatility so that it could be worn with a suit to weddings for example.

I flipped my Moonwatch just recently. I had a great chance to trade it for a Cartier automatic and did so. I fancy another Speedmaster as my next big flip but I'm going to go for something a bit off the beaten track. Probably a Mk2 or Mk40 triple date.

Mr Brightside

I would recommend trying it for size first. I have an Avenger II Chrono at 43mm, and it's big and chunky. I felt that the Super Avenger at 46mm was too big.

Yeah that's my thoughts too. I have skinny wrists so think it might be too big, would be good if they done something similar in 40mm.

Bungalow Bill

I inherited my Dad's Omega Seamaster 10 years ago, it's the Omega Automatic Seamaster cal. 1040 from 1975. I've never done anything with it, but my own Seamaster is due it's first service so I figured I'd get them both done at the same time, I have the 2011 version, co-axial 41mm.

My dad's watch will need a full restore, has anyone got any recommendations or tips on getting this done. I'm happy to spend a bit of money on it if required.

post-980-0-24600000-1453463757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apache Mal

A vintage Omega is as well to go to an authorised dealer like Laings, but it will be pricey. It may or may not be done in-house but may go to Switzerland. If you want to do it cheaper then go to Tomian in Forth Street and there's a watchmaker in the Gorgie Jewellers who may be able to take the job on.

Bungalow Bill

A vintage Omega is as well to go to an authorised dealer like Laings, but it will be pricey. It may or may not be done in-house but may go to Switzerland. If you want to do it cheaper then go to Tomian in Forth Street and there's a watchmaker in the Gorgie Jewellers who may be able to take the job on.

Cheers for the reply. I'll take it to Laings first and see what they say and recommend.

Cheers for the reply. I'll take it to Laings first and see what they say and recommend.

I found that Cairncross in Perth were better value servicing my Daytona.

Just make sure that you are sitting down when they tell you how much it is going to be.

Regardless of where you take it.

However,it will come back like new and with a warranty.

Bungalow Bill

I found that Cairncross in Perth were better value servicing my Daytona.

Just make sure that you are sitting down when they tell you how much it is going to be.

Regardless of where you take it.

However,it will come back like new and with a warranty.

Cheers, in my head I reckon it will be up to ?1000 for a full restore with Omega parts. It might need to be something I save for if that's the case.