The Ashes

Harry Palmer

Tied test for the second time in history?

I'm sure I read some where that England haven't beaten Oz at Trent Bridge in over 30 years.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick

Work tomorrow is going to be interesting, one way or the other. Come on Jimmy!

Maroon Sailor

Great match - deserved a better finish rather than DRS

England win by 14 runs

Anderson 10 wickets

Maroon Sailor

The Ashes never fails to deliver - what a cracking series we could be in for if all the matches are as close as this

Jimmy Anderson. Brilliant.

I was giving the final one out ... could hear the nick on my telly! Sky commentators didn't hear it!

Michael Clarke a class act in his interview.

ToadKiller Dog

Great test with some top cricket from both sides .

As I said a lot closer series than predicted .

Still think the review system took a bit away from the cricket .

The_razors_edge

Bresnan in for Finn at Lord's please.

Won't happen. Doesnt Finn play for Middlesex?

Maroon Sailor

Won't happen. Doesnt Finn play for Middlesex?

That might just be enough to give Finn another chance.

The_razors_edge

That might just be enough to give Finn another chance.

Exactly what I was thinking. Probably his only saving grace

Marooned In Oz

I was talking overall, not state specific.

I still think cricket has more national interest than NRL.

The Ashes on the Radio is one of the few unspoilt pleasures in life.

Yes. No adverts, nice voices, humour, no jingoism, historica references, tremendose.

My team for Lords

Cook, Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Root, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.

If the pitch at Lords is like the last few years there will be more bounce for Finn and Broad and less swing for Anderson? And I would want England to bat for a long time so Compton in for Bairstow.

That was just too close for comfort. In a funny way way the wicket didn't really seem to favour anyone although Jimmy Anderson with 10 wickets might say differently.

I think Finn will be gone for the next test, otherwise no changes.

Absolutely fantastic Test match.

The Aussies ran England close, but I wonder if their inability to win this one will deflate them?

Unchanged squad for Thursday's test so, as mentioned above, the main question is will Finn start? His home ground so you never know. Perhaps they will look to the weather and see what conditions are supposed to be first?

That said, Bressnan would certainly bolster the batting (potentially).

The Aussies ran England close, but I wonder if their inability to win this one will deflate them?

Unchanged squad for Thursday's test so, as mentioned above, the main question is will Finn start? His home ground so you never know. Perhaps they will look to the weather and see what conditions are supposed to be first?

So much faith being placed in Bairstow. I am concerned that the rest of the batting order isn't good enough to carry him (as Pietersen, Vaughan, Strauss did with Bell in 2005).

Harry Palmer

As far as the weather is concerned, I imagine it'll be warm and sunny, like it has been for the past week or so.

So much faith being placed in Bairstow. I am concerned that the rest of the batting order isn't good enough to carry him (as Pietersen, Vaughan, Strauss did with Bell in 2005).

I think Bairstow is ok and is as good as there is coming in when he does. He made 37 & 15 which while not spectacular, was a decent average for the Test just been.

Root is a capable opener, as is Compton, however, for whatever reason, Compton's form at Test level deserted him in the NZ series at home.

Keep it as it is and England will be ok.

I do agree with you though that the English batting line up all summer has looked extremely fragile. Fortunately in Anderson and Swann and, to a lesser extent, Broad, you have a bowling attack that is on its day the best in the world.

As far as the weather is concerned, I imagine it'll be warm and sunny, like it has been for the past week or so.

Potentially more humid or not? Affects swing.

Just looked at a forecast. Sunny and hot. Not much cloud, if any, and low humidity.

Interesting...

It shouldn't. I think The Aussies will be thinking they were hard done by,and rightly so. Once again England got the major DRS decisions, and before anyone gives me the Root, Trott and Agar decisions, all were correct. Root quite possibly didn't connect but he walked, Trott was plumb as the DRS slow-mo showed and there was no contact with bat and ball. Agar may have been stumped but an extremely difficult decision to make, hence the Not Out verdict. However, Broad has cheated to give England this win, clear edge and the umpire has had a mare, he should have walked. The decision to give Michael Clarke out after the review is baffling to say the least. Australia must come back stronger knowing they could/should be 1-0 up in the series.

Bring on Lords and come on The Aussies!!!

It shouldn't. I think The Aussies will be thinking they were hard done by,and rightly so. Once again England got the major DRS decisions, and before anyone gives me the Root, Trott and Agar decisions, all were correct. Root quite possibly didn't connect but he walked, Trott was plumb as the DRS slow-mo showed and there was no contact with bat and ball. Agar may have been stumped but an extremely difficult decision to make, hence the Not Out verdict. However, Broad has cheated to give England this win, clear edge and the umpire has had a mare, he should have walked. The decision to give Michael Clarke out after the review is baffling to say the least. Australia must come back stronger knowing they could/should be 1-0 up in the series.

Bring on Lords and come on The Aussies!!!

Pretty sure the review showed that there was contact via hotspot.

England, imo, misfired a wee bit in this test just gone and if they up their game should blow the Aussies away.

Hope so!

Geoff Kilpatrick

England, imo, misfired a wee bit in this test just gone and if they up their game should blow the Aussies away.

Hope so!

It did and Pup knew it.

Shame. :)

I was in Dunfermline so didn't catch a lot of the Clarke dismissal but didn't seem to be anything there as far as I could see. How about Broad? He walks and The Aussies win. Please don't try and defend him with the 'nobody walks anymore' shout. He cheated.

I was in Dunfermline so didn't catch a lot of the Clarke dismissal but didn't seem to be anything there as far as I could see. How about Broad? He walks and The Aussies win. Please don't try and defend him with the 'nobody walks anymore' shout. He cheated.

Mmm....perhaps he should have, but if the umpire isn't giving it then....

Bit like Lampard's "goal" against Germany in the last WC. Should the germans have said that it was in?

Shaky analogy I know, given cricket's unwritten rules of gentlemanly behaviour, but there are many a batsmen who haven't walked when they should have only for the umpire to raise the finger.

Hope so!

How on earth did Broad cheat? The only way he could have cheated was to walk when the umpire was clearly satisfied that he was not out. Sheer arrogance to contradict the umpire.

England are on a completely different level from Australia as the next 9 tests will demonstrate. At this early stage and allowing for weather disruptions, I think a 6-1 aggregate in England's favour is on the cards though will happily settle for 5-1.

How on earth did Broad cheat? The only way he could have cheated was to walk when the umpire was clearly satisfied that he was not out. Sheer arrogance to contradict the umpire.

England are on a completely different level from Australia as the next 9 tests will demonstrate. At this early stage and allowing for weather disruptions, I think a 6-1 aggregate in England's favour is on the cards though will happily settle for 5-1.

I never said that he did... :wink:

Should have walked. Then again the young Aussie should have been out at the start of his 98 and England may have won by an innings if the technology had been working.

Potentially more humid or not? Affects swing.

Just looked at a forecast. Sunny and hot. Not much cloud, if any, and low humidity.

Interesting...

Humid today

I think Bairstow is ok and is as good as there is coming in when he does. He made 37 & 15 which while not spectacular, was a decent average for the Test just been.

Root is a capable opener, as is Compton, however, for whatever reason, Compton's form at Test level deserted him in the NZ series at home.

Keep it as it is and England will be ok.

I do agree with you though that the English batting line up all summer has looked extremely fragile. Fortunately in Anderson and Swann and, to a lesser extent, Broad, you have a bowling attack that is on its day the best in the world.

Going to be a tough game ... no wins vs Australia at Lords since 1934! And that one the only win in the 20th C.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/13/england-australia-second-test-lords

Going to be a tough game ... no wins vs Australia at Lords since 1934! And that one the only win in the 20th C.

http://www.guardian....cond-test-lords

I thought they beat the Aussies there the last time they met in 2009?

First win at Lords in years though.

Still think that on their day, England are by far and away a much better side than Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_2009#Second_Test

I never said that he did... :wink:

Sorry. Just felt like having a biased rant.

I am over that now and looking forward to another absorbing contest at Lords where I hope the umpiring is of a much higher standard.

I'm almost feeling sorry for the Aussies. There are clearly major divisions in their ranks and I'm not sure that the current captain has the strength of character to deal with that.

Fully expect England to thrash them at Lords.

I'm going for a Malmo, England, Justin Rose treble. Won't trouble my Turf Accoutants with it as they have never heard of Hibs and won't offer odds. On reflection though, might invest in the double instead.

Great weekend of sport with the rampant 0-5 jambos back in action as well.

I'm almost feeling sorry for the Aussies. There are clearly major divisions in their ranks and I'm not sure that the current captain has the strength of character to deal with that.

Fully expect England to thrash them at Lords.

Hope so, Kiwidoug!

Starts at 11:15 today, I think, as Her Maj is meeting the players first.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I have a feeling the Aussies will win this one. No logical basis - just a hunch.

Looks like Finn has kept his place, which is fair enough I think.

Winning the toss could be crucial here. Conditions make it a very good batting track.

According to Aussie press reports, the Aussies make two changes, Mitchell Starc and Ed Cowan will be replaced by Ryan Harris and Usman Khawaja.

I still think that England are, player for player, much better than the Aussies so will say England to win......comfortably. Heart ruling head, perhaps.

Archived