The Ashes

Harry Palmer

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToadKiller Dog

Was going to post could be the making of Bairstow if he could see through this and get some sort of score .

Oops .

Doesn't look ready for this level .

Geoff Kilpatrick

Lovely delivery by Agar.

Over to the Cricketer of the Year.

England could need around the 320 mark to win this, they need to give the Aussies a target of at least 250!

Maroon Sailor

Prior on fire

Quickly on to 15

196-5

Lead of 131

Kenny ******* Powers

Prior doing what he does best and counter attacking.

Good to watch but always gives bowlers a chance.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Prior reminds the Aussies of the days of Gilly coming in at 7.

That was over the borderline from gamesmanship and well into the realms of cheating from Broad there :o

An absolute disgrace from Broad.

ToadKiller Dog

An absolute disgrace from Broad.

Shocking decision from usually one of the best Umpires . Broad should really have walked , but it was the Aussies who pioneered not walking and a good few Aussie players would have stayed still also ..

kingantti1874

Shocking decision from usually one of the best Umpires . Broad should really have walked , but it was the Aussies who pioneered not walking and a good few Aussie players would have stayed still also ..

Why should he have walked when England have been robbed twice?

I'm probably being naive as don't watch that much cricket these days but i would have expected to him to walk there. Accept that others also wouldn't have, but there was also already an example when one of his team mates did.

ToadKiller Dog

I'm probably being naive as don't watch that much cricket these days but i would have expected to him to walk there. Accept that others also wouldn't have, but there was also already an example when one of his team mates did.

Technically he was in his right to stay put , the Umpire didn't missed the nick so wasn't giving him out , if he had walked the umpire would have signalled out . Morally a bit dodgy as it was a clear nick by Broad and he knew it .

But I can see the argument that its up to the umpire to make the call .

Broads going to get some grief from the Aussies fans and media this winter that's for sure .

The_razors_edge

Don't rate him but this has been a great knock by Ian Bell. Just the type of innings him and England need.

Harry Palmer

Didn't see it but he's quite entitled to wait for the umpire to signal.

The Aussies would probably do the same.

Feck 'em. :)

Although, I suppose, it's just not cricket....

Maroon Sailor

Don't rate him but this has been a great knock by Ian Bell. Just the type of innings him and England need.

I think Dinger is underrated.

Good man to have in your team to grind out a score.

Been part of 3 Ashes winning teams so has the experience as well.

Maroon Sailor

Didn't see it but he's quite entitled to wait for the umpire to signal.

The Aussies would probably do the same.

Feck 'em. :)

Although, I suppose, it's just not cricket....

Broad has a nasty side to him (bit like his Dad) hence the reason he didn't walk

It's not right from a moral point of view, but he didn't break any laws.

For every Adam Gilchrist there are about 10 Stuart Broad's unfortunately for people who want to see the spirit of the game being upheld.

Broad has a nasty side to him (bit like his Dad) hence the reason he didn't walk

For every Adam Gilchrist there are about 10 Stuart Broad's unfortunately for people who want to see the spirit of the game being upheld.

I'm afraid the spirit of the game was lost a long, long time ago.

Barely any of the modern cricketers would've walked there.

Australia only have themselves to blame. The 2nd tv appeal they used up was a shocker. An LBW shout that was missing by miles when Pattinson was bowling. That's cost them there.

Harry Palmer

I agree but at a crucial point in a Test how many cricketers today would walk these days?

The 2nd point is key though, morally- aye he should have went for a stroll and the umpire would have had his finger up quick as... (insert ooer missus smiley here) which would mean the batsman had made the call not the umpire. Broad obviously knew that there were no reviews left for the Aussies so waited to see what the umpire said, nowt wrong with that imo. If the umpire had given out he'd have walked. I take it England still had a review left but wouldn't have used it if the call was out.

Still, it all evens itself out over th..... oh.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this cricket malarkey. :stuart:

Am really enjoying Glenn McGrath on TMS.

Obviously Nasser Hussain is still the best commentator around, but McGrath is entertaining on the radio. Missing CMJ though ... :(

Harry Palmer

Am really enjoying Glenn McGrath on TMS.

Obviously Nasser Hussain is still the best commentator around, but McGrath is entertaining on the radio. Missing CMJ though ... :(

TMS is the best. :thumbsup:

Stick your Sky up your hole.

Geoff Kilpatrick

TMS is the best. :thumbsup:

Stick your Sky up your hole.

This.

TMS in the lugs while watching the game with the sound down is the business.

Maroon Sailor

My favourite commentators were Richie Benaud and Jim Laker

TMS - John Arlott, Johnners, Aggers and Blowers

Harry Palmer

Blowers is something else.

Aggers and Boycott are the best though imo. Love it when Sir Geoff goes off on one.. :jj:

Quite like Michael Vaughan and McGrath on TMS, at least they're recent.

Ye cannae beat Blowers mentioning irrelevant detail such as how many pigeons he's seen on the field or the fact that a "red bus" has gone past behind the ground. I also liked his description of Trent Bridge on the first day: "absolutely brimmers'.

Harry Palmer

Ye cannae beat Blowers mentioning irrelevant detail such as how many pigeons he's seen on the field or the fact that a "red bus" has gone past behind the ground. I also liked his description of Trent Bridge on the first day: "absolutely brimmers'.

It was a couple of minutes into his first broadcast before he mentioned the "first pigeon of the day".

Chuck in the odd seagull and everyone is fine.

:pleasing:

ToadKiller Dog

Cricket is one of the few sports where the commentators are self effacing and don't have arrogant unfounded expectations of their own nation .

It's also where they are not afraid to give their opinions and disagree .

A good Bob Willis rant is always worth it's money even when he is wrong .

It was a couple of minutes into his first broadcast before he mentioned the "first pigeon of the day".

I haven't had it on all day, but I haven't yet heard any mention of the commentators having received a cake from a lady listener.

I am still tickled pink every time he calls Mitchell Starc 'Starkers'.

Day 4 ... bring it on!

Sorry if mentioned elsewhere in the thread but did anyone notice an uncanny resemblance between the celebration of Agar after taking the wicket of Cook and the legendary Ryan Mcgowan skip on the 19th of May? It's probably not even there but anything to get 1-5 into a thread. Think Broad was in a no win situation so better to keep his team mates and the home support happy. If england get another 50 they should win comfortably. A couple of quick wickets this morning and it could get interesting...

Harry Palmer

I haven't had it on all day, but I haven't yet heard any mention of the commentators having received a cake from a lady listener.

There was a cake that was made up of Boycott Bingo. Don't think it was sent in.

Not the best though.

993609_10151719414789904_810638421_n.jpg

Pork pies will need a mention too.

Can't beat Jerusalem belting out at the cricket.

Never knew that Aggers was a pilot.

There was a cake that was made up of Boycott Bingo. Don't think it was sent in.

Not the best though.

993609_10151719414789904_810638421_n.jpg

Pork pies will need a mention too.

Can't beat Jerusalem belting out at the cricket.

Never knew that Aggers was a pilot.

Geoff Boycott described Aggers's shirt as "a painting by a three-year-old".

100 for Bell.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I am still tickled pink every time he calls Mitchell Starc 'Starkers'.

Day 4 ... bring it on!

Him and Pigeon yesterday had a quality conversation about Pattinson and needing to give him a nickname.

After Blowers proposed calling him "Patters" with "Starkers and Patters at either end", McGrath mentioned that his nickname Down Under was "Patto". Suddenly, every player was given an extra "o" at the end! :pleasing:

Lots of talk about the England bowlers over the past few years ... but what a golden age for English batting it has been. Pietersen, Bell, Cook, Strauss, Vaughan, Trescothick, Trott ... how many centuries for that lot? All averaging over 40 too I would guess.

Archived