The Ashes

Harry Palmer

Geoff Kilpatrick

I take it Australia have traditionally been the Rangers/Real Madrid of cricket: the most successful, most arrogant and most hated?

Not really. England and Australia have always regarded themselves as top dogs. The other nations have only really come on in international terms post-war, which is no surprise given that air travel actually meant international teams could play each other.

What kind of reputation do India have?

Depends who you ask! They dominate international cricket now due to their financial muscle as cricket is THE game in India and IPL is cricket's most lucrative competition. However, test cricket in India is perceived as a poorer relation in comparison to one day cricket.

Sorry to ask such basic and boring questions, but I'm only properly getting into it for the first time.

Are West Indies thought to be in terminal decline or do they just have a weak team at the moment?

I hope not but my understanding is that cricket doesn't hold the same appeal in the Caribbean these days. One day cricket is still big there though.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alan Johnson

I hope not but my understanding is that cricket doesn't hold the same appeal in the Caribbean these days. One day cricket is still big there though.

The problem with cricket in the Caribbean these days is cost. Seems like pretty much everyone (or all the kids at least) still play cricket but if you're going to charge the same price for a ticket to a Test in Grenada as you would in England then obviously people won't be able to afford to go to the matches.

ToadKiller Dog

The Carabien nations look more to the US these days than back to blighty . Basketball etc offer more rewards . Also the organisation that runs the game in the Windes has been factional and useless for some time . They do seem to be finally sorting that out a long way to go but I think Windes cricket is slowly improving .

Also agree with the shorter game taking a higher place which is a shame as the Test game is superior .

I remember the Rory Bremner song about England nnnnnnineteen all out . England went through some dreadful stuff before getting where they are .

Are the Australians arrogant I would say so on the pitch and in their media a bit like the English media when it comes to Rugby or football . But when you hear the likes of Warne , McGrath etc speak they are fair minded . Australians have always been more aggressive in nature than conservative England .

The Australians would have put England in last night for example rather than today and the Aussies if 10 plus years ago would have knocked over 1 or 2 last night .

India the game is massive but as others have said the one day game is the draw . Looking at the ICT cup earlier they have another good generation coming through .

Kenny ******* Powers

Another controversial 3rd umpire decision.

Nothing on hot spot so just went on sound.

Harry Palmer

Hurrah!!!

England win by a shitload of runs. :ninja:

Last over of the day too.

Pattinson out of the rest of the series. Stress fracture in his lower back.

Just going from bad to worse for them at the moment.

If Cook, Prior and Trott get going it could really hit the fan for Aussie.

Looks like this guy Taylor may have played his way in to replace KP.

Expect another big win for England.

Harry Palmer

Taylor, Panesar and Tremlett in the squad, Pietersen also included but no Steve Finn.

Taylor, Panesar and Tremlett in the squad, Pietersen also included but no Steve Finn.

Is it still going to be a dusty spinning wicket with all the rain? Going to be interesting. If it is a spinning wicket and England choose Panesar and Swann Australia will really struggle.

Taylor looks like a schoolboy ... tiny.

Have to expect that the Aussie batters will do a bit better this time. And Bell going for his 4th consecutive Ashes century. Looks like no Englishman has managed that before ... though the Don has a grouping of 6 consecutive as well as a 4 consecutive (and 8 in a row when he batted)!

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-07-18/top-stories/40655821_1_ian-bell-australia-captain-michael-clarke-don-bradman

The fact they have included Monty suggests the wicket is going to suit him. If he does play I would suggest that OZ have no chance and 5-0 will be looking a distinct possibility.

The fact they have included Monty suggests the wicket is going to suit him. If he does play I would suggest that OZ have no chance and 5-0 will be looking a distinct possibility.

Could it also mean that Swann is injured??????

Could it also mean that Swann is injured??????

No way they could keep that quiet.

Old Trafford is more suited to spinners. I guess they'll have a look at him in the build-up and decide from there.

They have a 2 match cushion to play with so they may be inclined to twist and put in two spinners than stick with the usual 3 pace and 1 spin.

That said, I thought Root did pretty well with the ball last match, do England really need 2 and a half spinners?

No way they could keep that quiet.

Old Trafford is more suited to spinners. I guess they'll have a look at him in the build-up and decide from there.

They have a 2 match cushion to play with so they may be inclined to twist and put in two spinners than stick with the usual 3 pace and 1 spin.

That said, I thought Root did pretty well with the ball last match, do England really need 2 and a half spinners?

Pure speculation on my part just thinking Swann's had that elbow injury ... Root bowled surprisingingly well .... Swann took a dunt off Khawaja in the 2nd innings .... Flower didn't even pick Monty when the conditions were screaming for him .... Just a thought that's all ;-)

Pure speculation on my part just thinking Swann's had that elbow injury ... Root bowled surprisingingly well .... Swann took a dunt off Khawaja in the 2nd innings .... Flower didn't even pick Monty when the conditions were screaming for him .... Just a thought that's all ;-)

If there is a doubt about Swann you may well be right. With a 2-0 lead and 8 tests still to play, why aggravate it.

Harry Palmer

Meant to be dry-ish.

I'll go for showers interrupting play.

Which will give the Aussies a chance I suppose, that Warner(?) has been brought in, I believe(or maybe pish).

Just heard that Steve Smith is injured and doubtful. They also seem to be keeping very quite about the injury to their captain.

Sport is full of surprises but I expect another rollicking win for England inside 4 days, weather permitting.

Harry Palmer

England and Australia in the same World Cup 2015 group...opening day match too.

Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh in that group too.

Bit weird having New Zealand in there as they're co-hosts with Australia, I assume top 4 qualify. Scotland managed to make it to a World Cup once...2007?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/23493953

England and Australia in the same World Cup 2015 group...opening day match too.

Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh in that group too.

Bit weird having New Zealand in there as they're co-hosts with Australia, I assume top 4 qualify. Scotland managed to make it to a World Cup once...2007?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/23493953

Lot of excitement already here in NZ. Terrific traditional match-ups between NZ and Oz, England and Oz, India and Pakistan.

Love to see Scotland there but don't follow it closely enough to know if they have much of a chance.

Lot of excitement already here in NZ. Terrific traditional match-ups between NZ and Oz, England and Oz, India and Pakistan.

Love to see Scotland there but don't follow it closely enough to know if they have much of a chance.

If Scotland finish second in the group then they qualify (I think) and there may be another opportunity later in the year somewhere else.

http://www.cricketscotland.com/international-news-cricket-scotland/Scotland/scotland-competitions/world-cricket-league-championship/#

Scotland also played in the World Cup held in England (and Scotland) in 1999.

Alan Johnson

Starts again tomorrow. Possibly the return of Monty to the Test scene :jjyay:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Hoping against hope that this will be remember in decades to come as the Jimmy Anderson test.

Don't give Aussie an earthly but will be humble if I am proven to be wrong.

The Carabien nations look more to the US these days than back to blighty . Basketball etc offer more rewards . Also the organisation that runs the game in the Windes has been factional and useless for some time . They do seem to be finally sorting that out a long way to go but I think Windes cricket is slowly improving .

Also agree with the shorter game taking a higher place which is a shame as the Test game is superior .

I remember the Rory Bremner song about England nnnnnnineteen all out . England went through some dreadful stuff before getting where they are .

Are the Australians arrogant I would say so on the pitch and in their media a bit like the English media when it comes to Rugby or football . But when you hear the likes of Warne , McGrath etc speak they are fair minded . Australians have always been more aggressive in nature than conservative England .

The Australians would have put England in last night for example rather than today and the Aussies if 10 plus years ago would have knocked over 1 or 2 last night .

India the game is massive but as others have said the one day game is the draw . Looking at the ICT cup earlier they have another good generation coming through .

They are fair-minded now as mature adults but as players they were snarling, boorish louts.

10-0 would hurt them to the quick if it happened despite their current fair-mindedness and that is precisely what I wish on those two in particular.

They are fair-minded now as mature adults but as players they were snarling, boorish louts.

10-0 would hurt them to the quick if it happened despite their current fair-mindedness and that is precisely what I wish on those two in particular.

To be fair, it was perhaps that boorishness and loutishness that made them such fantastic and clinical players. That said, watching a lot of the old ashes stuff on Sky at the moment and despite a poor record in the 90's against the Aussies, the English Test side were at times unlucky and weren't that bad.

This Aussie team at the moment though is very poor and will relish seeing them destroyed!

Monty was over here playing Grade Cricket for my local club last year (maybe the year before). Always liked him. Good lad.

Alan Johnson

Chris Rogers to 52 from 49 balls, great knock so far. Aussies not looking too troubled at 70/0.

Disclaimer: I am aware that Watson will be out LBW pretty soon.

Alan Johnson

:rofl: I was wrong, Watson goes edged to slip for 19.

The BCCI are sitting back and loving all these DRS balls-ups.

Won't they just!

Perhaps that's why we don't get 5 day Tests anymore as decisions are overturned that are impossible to give with the naked eye.

That said, I think the stats say that the Umpires are right about 95% of the time, which is pretty good going, to be fair.

The Mighty Thor

The BCCI are sitting back and loving all these DRS balls-ups.

I've just seen it after hearing it on TMS and it was an astonishing decision. Not even close as to have any kind of doubt on it at all. It missed his bat by about 3 inches.

5 dayers are dying and the ICC aren't helping matters.

Alan Johnson

Century for Michael Clarke and a half century for Steve Smith in the last few minutes. The longer break between Tests seems to have done Australia the world of good, at least in the batting department.

kingantti1874

Draw written all over it already IMO ...big score from aus, they will try and bat tomorrow as well, rain could come into play...

Very good day for OZ. The downside of course is that they have to win therefore have to be positive.

Don't know what the weather forecast is but gather it's not brlliant.

I would imagine Oz will look to bat most of the day tomorrow scoring briskly and back themselves to bowl England out twice despite the weather.

If AC doesn't step up to the plate it might happen but I doubt it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I like how the Aussies have been given some hope, only to see it dashed soon enough. :)

Harry Palmer

Been raining this morning and there'll likely be some interruption at some point today with showers forecast.

Alan Johnson

Smith gone for 89 trying a ridiculous shot against Swann. Incredible reception for Warner coming to the crease :lol:

ToadKiller Dog

Typical conservative England should have been Brave and played 2 spinners .

Australia's test to lose ,

Archived