The Ashes

Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

Aussies to declare tonight and put England in for a wee half hour?

They might actually win a Test at Old Trafford and seem to have woken up batting wise.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote on BBC website - Aussie tail end is like a tin of corned beef. It should be easy to get it out , but it isn't.

Harry Palmer

Quote on BBC website - Aussie tail end is like a tin of corned beef. It should be easy to get it out , but it isn't.

If the key thing breaks then you're fecked.. :stuart:

Aussies declare @ 527-7

Declare on 527.

The English lads look knackered.

It's gonna be an interesting couple of hours for the England openers.

Harry Palmer

Australia need to win, a couple of quick wkts and it's very much game on. England still capable of seeing it out though, depends what the pitch does I suppose.

BBC TMS ?@bbctms43s

The highest total England have conceded in the 1st innings of a match that they went on to win is 586 by Australia at Sydney in 1894

Alan Johnson

Root has one run from 29 balls. Jesus.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Harry Palmer

Root gone for 8 runs.

Pointless.

47-1

Bresnan in as night watchman

Harry Palmer

Bresnan gone too..for 1 run.

49-2

More pointlessnes...

Didn't review and possibly should have..still when you have that much confidence in the system.....

Jonathan Agnew ?@Aggerscricket48s

Another bizarre dismissal. Why Bres didn't review that? Snicko's spiky reading looks like a bat edge but was probably trouser pocket

Harry Palmer

Close of play.

Eng 52-2

Aus 527-7 dec.

Big day for England tomorrow, some good batting needed and no controversy re DRS but I think the latter will be unavoidable.

It's all rather sad.

Kenny ******* Powers

Bresnan gone too..for 1 run.

49-2

More pointlessnes...

Didn't review and possibly should have..still when you have that much confidence in the system.....

Jonathan Agnew ?@Aggerscricket48s

Another bizarre dismissal. Why Bres didn't review that? Snicko's spiky reading looks like a bat edge but was probably trouser pocket

Unbelievable to not review it. It's like the batsmen have no confidence in the umpires(on field and 3rd) to make the correct call. It seemed like Bresnan was too scared to use up a review

A - in case he was still given out

B - in case that review was needed later after

another umpiring balls up.

England are toiling here. Think they will be hoping for rain!

If my hope that this becomes known in time as the Jimmy Anderson Test, he's going to have to score 200 and and take 10 wickets in the 2nd innings, if there is a second innings.

Harry Palmer

If my hope that this becomes known in time as the Jimmy Anderson Test, he's going to have to score 200 and and take 10 wickets in the 2nd innings, if there is a second innings.

I think you're fecked I'm afraid. Sorry.

Wonder if the Aussie PM was tweeting about things today/yesterday/whatever day it is down there?

Time for Billy the Trumpet to rally the troops imo.

Alan Johnson

Trott gone early for 5. Another who's failed to score, only Cook's added anything of note so far. 64/3.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pietersen is lucky to still be there. Playing like I did in nets on Wednesday evening!

ToadKiller Dog

Bairstow fails

Big Kev gone .

England need 36 to avoid follow , hopefully Prior will find his firm with the bat .

Given my utterly hopeless predictions so far, I'm reluctant to predict a big innings for Prior but he tends to shine when the chips are down.

If England can produce another 100 runs or more, all three results could be in prospect on day 5. Clarke has to give his bowlers plenty of time to bowl Englans out therefore a home win is not out of the question.

Will predict an Aussie win just to ensure that doesn't happen.

Geoff Kilpatrick

England should avoid the follow-on but they still need to bat time. Prior and Broad need to bat till lunch, then they can go for quick runs to reduce the Aussie lead in amongst the showers.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a draw.

England should avoid the follow-on but they still need to bat time. Prior and Broad need to bat till lunch, then they can go for quick runs to reduce the Aussie lead in amongst the showers.

Just because ive just started watching Test cricket and dont want to sound daft....but....

The Aussies taking almost 2 full days to bat almost made the game a draw from the start. Why would they not declare around 400 and give themselves a chance to bowl England out

kingantti1874

was listening to Warne last night and he says Clarke is definitely willing to gamble to try and get a result as the ashes are lost with a draw.. England need to avoid th follow on to have a sniff..

Saying all that if England do avoid the follow on ill be surprised if it isn't. A draw

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just because ive just started watching Test cricket and dont want to sound daft....but....

The Aussies taking almost 2 full days to bat almost made the game a draw from the start. Why would they not declare around 400 and give themselves a chance to bowl England out

With that kind of score, the Aussies gave themselves a chance to bowl out England twice and win by an innings. If there were no rain issues, the Aussies would be sitting pretty even if England don't follow on. A lead of 150 or so means you can score quickly in the 2nd dig and then declare giving the opposition a target of 300 to 400 and a day and a bit to bowl them out.

The real question is how much time is lost to the weather.

Harry Palmer

It's meant to rain this afternoon and most of tomorrow but that might be bullshit.

Eng made 368.

Aus 24-1

Lead by 183.

Harry Palmer

Play starting at 11.30

Target of 332 for England if they want to win but with the rain floating around/crap light, would be surprised if it's a full day's play.

ToadKiller Dog

Play starting at 11.30

Target of 332 for England if they want to win but with the rain floating around/crap light, would be surprised if it's a full day's play.

Smart move by Australia , if they can get 2/3 hours worth of play and a couple of quick wickets then pressure is on .

England would have batted on if roles were reversed .

Still expect a draw though .

Harry Palmer

Cook could be out, lbw.

Reviewing it, no idea why.

Out!

England not scored a run yet.

England were 66s prior to batting unlikely they do it but still decent value

Weather forecast has suddenly improved (from an Aussie point of view) or got worse (from an English one)

ToadKiller Dog

Trott trotting off , totally out of form another big wicket gone quickly .

Game turning Australia's way .

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm sick to death of all the reviewing that's going on. Hawkeye, hotspot, sniko and all that shit - takes forever. At least in tennis is barely interferes in the game.

Update on Cricinfo. Tea Interval is now over

Mike Brewer: "This is a blow, it looks like England just wont have enough time to knock off these runs and keep the five-nil alive"

Pitch Inspection at 17:00

Looks like Australia are going to regret playing too safe and not declaring earlier

Pitch Inspection at 17:00

Looks like Australia are going to regret playing too safe and not declaring earlier

And even if the umpires decide to go ahead with play then it will take 90 minutes to get the pitch ready, so no play til 6.30 at earliest. Just call it off now.

Match drawn according to SSN. England retain the ashes as rain has stopped play.

Glad to hear they took my advice, the sensible decision. Bloody charade.

ToadKiller Dog

Monty Panasar in trouble , Drunk when out in Brighton , decided to pee on the door staff after being refused entry .

4th Test Latest

England win the toss and bat.

Currently 34-1

Root out. c. Haddin b. Watson after a review. Hotspot indicated a tickle.

Another unspectacular innings from Root. Which is a shame as I quite like him.

ToadKiller Dog

England batting like they are playing for a draw already .

Trott can do with getting some runs , danger that the Aussies have found him out .

Archived