The Ashes

Harry Palmer

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good knock by Bresnan. Bell and Root to take it to tea, then a final blast in the last session and two days to bowl the Aussies out. :)

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those listening to Test Match Special, here's another missing towel story involving a cricket figure.

For those of you who're not, here's a missing towel story involving a cricket figure.

ToadKiller Dog

Didn't look like it carried. Hard one . One angle looks out , other not so .

Play on .

Geoff Kilpatrick

Didn't look like it carried. Hard one . One angle looks out , other not so .

Play on .

Eh? That was out every day of the week.Smith got his fingers underneath it and Bell was gone.

ToadKiller Dog

Eh? That was out every day of the week.Smith got his fingers underneath it and Bell was gone.

Disagree the 2nd angle looks like it took a bounce to my eyes . I expect the Sky wizards will get to the truth of it .

Disagree the 2nd angle looks like it took a bounce to my eyes . I expect the Sky wizards will get to the truth of it .

Agree with this. Impossible to say with any conviction whether or not that was out.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Agree with this. Impossible to say with any conviction whether or not that was out.

Fingers say it all. They were underneath the ball.

ToadKiller Dog

Have to go with Bumbles view during the break , can't give it out . Likely out is not good enough .

Though I now think its likely from the camera angles that he caught it the angles are not good enough to give it 100%

Lord Gower not happy .

ToadKiller Dog

Aussies take it philosophically though

https://twitter.com/23nsg/status/358590341370232833/photo/1

Ha ha , poor Cricket Australia .

Must be soul destroying for Australia that England have kicked on and as secured the test .

Of course Australua could make a miracle world record score or start praying for flash floods in the London area .

Slept through it all. Bugger!

Expect England to bat on to get Root to 200 then declare, roughly 600 ahead.

Think Aussie might struggle to get that.

kingantti1874

Slept through it all. Bugger!

Expect England to bat on to get Root to 200 then declare, roughly 600 ahead.

Think Aussie might struggle to get that.

Ya think? The will struggle to get to 250

Ya think? The will struggle to get to 250

Or 150. Swanny will be licking his lips as will James Anderson and the rest.

Alan Johnson

Presume Cook will have told Root to bat quite aggressively tomorrow to get his 200 so they can declare and have two full days bowling. Not that it should matter hugely though, England could probably just tell their main bowlers to have a rest and use their back-ups of Root, Trott and Pietersen - the Aussies would probably still find a way to get all out pretty quickly.

Matthew Le Tissier

Pieterson to sit out final two days with a calf strain. Gives him 13days to get fit for the 3rd test.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pieterson to sit out final two days with a calf strain. Gives him 13days to get fit for the 3rd test.

I wouldn't pick him.

kingantti1874

I wouldn't pick him.

He hasn't looked great but I dunno, who would you replace him with geoff

Geoff Kilpatrick

He hasn't looked great but I dunno, who would you replace him with geoff

Well, I wouldn't have dropped Compton in the first place but they can't move Root from opener now. Next cab off the rank is James Taylor and he deserves a shot.

I honestly think KP will be working to be ready for the next series in November. This one is in the bag.

Will start supporting Hibs if Root doesn't get 200!!

Matthew Le Tissier

I honestly think KP will be working to be ready for the next series in November. This one is in the bag.

Out 1st ball of the day nap :lol:

The series is in danger of turning into an anti-climax like the 5-1 game. Too easy against terrible opposition.

Geoff Kilpatrick

How long is left? Does this finish tomorrow? Chance of the Aussies holding out for a draw?

Two days and no chance. 2-0 England.

Harry Palmer

Bairstow and Root out and England declare.

Lead of 582.

Matthew Le Tissier

Oh Kiwidug :facepalm::rofl:

ToadKiller Dog

578 to win, I think.

It's about batting/holding out for a draw the Aussies won't get near 583 .

A draw would be an astounding victory of sorts for Australia .

Alan Johnson

:arry:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

The_razors_edge

This has the potential to be the most boring 2 days of cricket ever. I fully expect the Aussie batsmen to drop anchor and play for the draw.

It's about batting/holding out for a draw the Aussies won't get near 583 .

A draw would be an astounding victory of sorts for Australia .

I don't know what the best thing for Australia would be - just be ultra-cautious, play all strokes into the ground to prevent catches, leave all balls that aren't sitting up for an easy hit, take singles when three looked on, etc.?

ToadKiller Dog

I don't know what the best thing for Australia would be - just be ultra-cautious, play all strokes into the ground to prevent catches, leave all balls that aren't sitting up for an easy hit, take singles when three looked on, etc.?

My opinion they need to play like Geof Boycott used to , Block , block and Block again .

Goes against Australian nature though I expect England to have about 7 of them out today and tidy up early the morn if Australia bat well .

ToadKiller Dog

Watson!

:rofl:

Was never going to last long . Not good enough technique for an opener .

The_razors_edge

I'm guessing he expected the ball to turn more than it did, still strange choice to leave what was a straightish delivery. Rogers, although good at county level, has looked pap at test level.

Is a new ball used at the start of a new innings, or does a ball have a specific lifespan?

Alan Johnson
Is a new ball used at the start of a new innings, or does a ball have a specific lifespan?

New one at the start of each inning, bowling team get option of another new one after it's 80 overs old.

ToadKiller Dog

You can take a new ball after 80 overs but you don't have to take it straight away , like if you want to slow play or the old ball us still spinning you can wait and take it later .

New one at the start of each inning, bowling team get option of another new one after it's 80 overs old.

You can take a new ball after 80 overs but you don't have to take it straight away , like if you want to slow play or the old ball us still spinning you can wait and take it later .

Thanks, chaps.

Alan Johnson

Aus have been shite with thier reviews all series

Could have left it at that.

I take it Australia have traditionally been the Rangers/Real Madrid of cricket: the most successful, most arrogant and most hated?

What kind of reputation do India have?

Sorry to ask such basic and boring questions, but I'm only properly getting into it for the first time.

Are West Indies thought to be in terminal decline or do they just have a weak team at the moment?

Archived