The all new "seethe" thread

cosanostra

It's a 40 year old train, things like that weren't thought about back then.

You still look bad, you took satisfaction in cutting the chain (actually taking a photo then posting it with "oops")

Your next step would have been to cut the frame of the bike? Despite the fact the thin aluminium rack could be more easily cut though without affecting it's structural integrity or usefulness?

All this instead of swinging the back end out the way.

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick question:

Are there any signs stating that you shouldn't put your bike there?  Unless it's specifically signed there that you're not allowed to chain your bike, I don't understand how that person could possibly be in the wrong.

Having thought about it, what if the cyclist is deaf, and couldn't hear your calls to move their bike?  You've not only destroyed their property, but discriminated against them as well. 

I would expect some fallout from this.

Seems like a horrendous way to treat your customers.

Putting up a bike rack (in an apparent fire escape, for some reason) then getting mad when a customer uses said bike rack.

Then vandalising the customers property and posting it online. In turn making it easier for someone to steal a very expensive bike.

Also, if that is a fire escape route as you claim, then it is completely inadequate and not fit for purpose given that it was already filled with junk.

Quick question:

Are there any signs stating that you shouldn't put your bike there? Unless it's specifically signed there that you're not allowed to chain your bike, I don't understand how that person could possibly be in the wrong.

Having thought about it, what if the cyclist is deaf, and couldn't hear your calls to move their bike? You've not only destroyed their property, but discriminated against them as well.

I would expect some fallout from this.

There are signs yes. It's also in the cycle paraphernalia issued by the toc. Photos were taken as I needed them to put in my report to my line manager, who fully backs me in my actions. As do every one of my colleagues that I've spoken with.

I'm not too blame for this, the idiot that chained it to the train and then didn't come forward is to blame.

There are signs yes. It's also in the cycle paraphernalia issued by the toc. Photos were taken as I needed them to put in my report to my line manager, who fully backs me in my actions. As do every one of my colleagues that I've spoken with.

I'm not too blame for this, the idiot that chained it to the train and then didn't come forward is to blame.

The only blame I see is with the TOC (not you but your company). It is endangering you, its staff and all passengers on the train by having inaccessible safety equipment. As staff you shouldn't have to work in unsafe conditions.

I get that you took actions to ensure the safety of all on your train, so you did the right thing in my eyes however the 'idiot' may have been at the toilet, or had his headphones on during your requests and can't be blamed either.

The only blame I see is with the TOC (not you but your company). It is endangering you, its staff and all passengers on the train by having inaccessible safety equipment. As staff you shouldn't have to work in unsafe conditions.

I get that you took actions to ensure the safety of all on your train, so you did the right thing in my eyes however the 'idiot' may have been at the toilet, or had his headphones on during your requests and can't be blamed either.

The equipments accessible if there's nothing chained to the train. The idiot had more than ample time to make himself known. The bike wasn't even booked to travel on the train.

I don't see why the guys an idiot, he clearly didn't know that you can only park in a bit of the designated bike rack.

Have you said why you couldn't swing the bike out of the way yet? I've parked in those racks hundreds of times and I've had to swing bikes out of the way to get to mine - I know it's not exactly impossible.

Why go for the most aggressive option when there was an easier solution that doesn't harm anything?

The equipments accessible if there's nothing chained to the train. The idiot had more than ample time to make himself known. The bike wasn't even booked to travel on the train.

The thing is, there shouldn't be a bike rack there in the first place, or safety equipment there. One of the two should be located elsewhere.

You can't put a bike rack there and say 'oh don't use this last bit please'. You either cut the rack to size or don't have it there at all. The public can be idiots, we all know that but by eliminating the possibility of them being idiots you eliminate the safety risk.

The thing is, there shouldn't be a bike rack there in the first place, or safety equipment there. One of the two should be located elsewhere.

You can't put a bike rack there and say 'oh don't use this last bit please'. You either cut the rack to size or don't have it there at all. The public can be idiots, we all know that but by eliminating the possibility of them being idiots you eliminate the safety risk.

The space is for use. It's the chaining it to the train that was the issue.

I posted this here in the seethe thread because it pissed me off but it seems I've created seethe from the kickback massive. I just wonder where the seethe would be directed if the chain hadn't been removed and the bike then impeded an escape route in an accident where a member of your family was hurt. I'll be saying no more as I don't need to justify myself on this. Safety first, always.

I'm with Ironjambo on this one. He seems to have gone to great lengths to find the cycle owner and had no option but to ensure the wrongly chained bike was freed so it could be removed quickly in the event of an emergency.

Confused by this.

is that not a bike rack so how is it "tied to the train"? If so, then I expect the location has now been raised with the appropriate people to get it moved?

Was an announcement made over the tannoy for the owner to move the bike?

If Health & Safety is so important (and it very much is), then why did the H&S assessors not pick up on this?

There are a lot of questions to be asked...after the owner has been given money to buy a new chain!

I'm with Ironjambo on this one. He seems to have gone to great lengths to find the cycle owner and had no option but to ensure the wrongly chained bike was freed so it could be removed quickly in the event of an emergency.

On your side here Stuart :thumb:

Right, so no good reason it couldn't just have been swung out of the way

Devil's advocate time, but what if any accident made it impossible to swing the bike out of the way?

Have to say though, it seems a strange place to have a bike rack.

Devil's advocate time, but what if any accident made it impossible to swing the bike out of the way?

Have to say though, it seems a strange place to have a bike rack.

My point is that when he saw the problem, it could have been solved by moving the bike - there's no need to wait for an accident!

Chained or unchained doesn't really matter, the bike is still obstructing an evacuation route. So the owners of the bike rack are culpable for putting it there.

Салатные палочки

It amazes me that there is a train, built in the mid 1970s, still operating passenger services.  

I agree, IJ was put in a bad position by someone installing a bike rack somewhere it shouldn't have been installed.  

It amazes me that there is a train, built in the mid 1970s, still operating passenger services.  

I agree, IJ was put in a bad position by someone installing a bike rack somewhere it shouldn't have been installed.  

Don't know where he works but some rail franchises are running rolling stock with an average age of 37 years, that's the worst in the UK.

Looks like it was also blocking the wheelchair ramp.

Seems like you did what you could but had to cut it.

The only problem I have is the joy you seem to be taking given you probably ruined someone's day, but each to their own.

Selfish holidayheads at work. We are a department of 5 at work and all get along pretty well. I go away with work for the last couple of weeks and get back to discover they've all put requests in to have Christmas Eve off. Totally fine as we generally have one person in on that day and it's an early finish. How ever no chat about this or asking me if I mind. Also I can't remember the last time I had that day off, indeed last year I was off for two weeks leading up to Christmas and came back for the 23rd and 24th so they could all have the day off. Thanks very much guys.

Also there are 3 of them with kids of primary school age so of course that has an effect on annual leave, I discovered among the other stuff that one of them has booked all his holidays for next year already so he can be off at the various holidays. As you can imagine the others aren't too happy. He is also the only person on a TOIL contract which he is an expert at manipulating to double his leave every year. Pretty ****ing underhand behaviour.

Samuel Camazzola

My point is that when he saw the problem, it could have been solved by moving the bike - there's no need to wait for an accident!

The way I've read this is Iron Jambo has simply followed a procedure to relieve him and the Company of any liability should the bicycle have caused any health and safety issues in the need for any emergency evacuations. The passenger has created a problem by (a) not booking said bicycle onto the train and (b.) not coming forward to remove the bicycle with security chain when given the opportunity on two occasions.

I cannot see any issues with IJ's actions here.

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

Right, forget who was right and who was wrong, please tell me you hid just around the corner so you could see the owner's reaction when he came back to his chibbed bike lock :lol:

The way I've read this is Iron Jambo has simply followed a procedure to relieve him and the Company of any liability should the bicycle have caused any health and safety issues in the need for any emergency evacuations. The passenger has created a problem by (a) not booking said bicycle onto the train and (b.) not coming forward to remove the bicycle with security chain when given the opportunity on two occasions.

I cannot see any issues with IJ's actions here.

To each their own, I don't see why the emergency equipment would be more accessible if the bike had been booked myself, and that's what the concern is, right?

I also don't see what's wrong with having headphones in or falling asleep on a train!

If chaining a bike there is such a big problem, do something. Put a sign up, let people know. Maybe don't put a ****ing bike rack there.

I'm not saying that part's IJ's fault, but I am saying the passenger acted fairly reasonably by locking his expensive bike in a bike rack.

As I said before, we don't all think like railway employees

Right, forget who was right and who was wrong, please tell me you hid just around the corner so you could see the owner's reaction when he came back to his chibbed bike lock :lol:

Nah because despite what some think I didn't take any pleasure in it. It took up over an hour of my time after I'd wrote a report for my line manager and I wanted to see him before I went home, which added another 20 minutes onto my day. I've got a weeks holiday and over a fortnight off now so I wanted to follow through and make sure I didn't come back to unfinished business.

luckyBatistuta

FFS...people who piss themselves all over the back of your taxi at 18.30 on a Friday night.

:seething:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Nah because despite what some think I didn't take any pleasure in it. It took up over an hour of my time after I'd wrote a report for my line manager and I wanted to see him before I went home, which added another 20 minutes onto my day. I've got a weeks holiday and over a fortnight off now so I wanted to follow through and make sure I didn't come back to unfinished business.

Cycling holiday is it?

FFS...people who piss themselves all over the back of your taxi at 18.30 on a Friday night.

Surely pat Stanton would be barred from all taxis in Edinburgh.

The amount of bottles, cans, food containers and general litter that currently adorns the edge of Queen's Park after yesterday's football. Being left overnight has ensured that plenty crap has blown into the trees and bushes.

Not good Gabriel.

luckyBatistuta

Not good Gabriel.

Tell me about it bud, start of my shift too. The fekr had the cheek to try and say it was a bottle leaking in is pocket, then starting moaning it was just a dribble. His trousers, floor and seat were soaking. Got my cleaning fee though, or else he'd have gotpost-25326-0-42200200-1477310728_thumb.jpg

The ****ing women that work in Reception that write emails in Comic Sans and sign them off as "The Spice Girls" commenting which one they are.

No Mary, you're not Sporty Spice, you're 55 and fat.

The ******* women that work in Reception that write emails in Comic Sans and sign them off as "The Spice Girls" commenting which one they are.

:qqb006:

The ******* women that work in Reception that write emails in Comic Sans and sign them off as "The Spice Girls" commenting which one they are.

No chance. Holy hell if people actually do this?

No chance. Holy hell if people actually do this?

If it wasn't a work email, I'd put a screenshot up.

It's ****ing horrible.

Musky Spice