Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Unfortunately for the First Minister if you fight such a bullish campaign and end up with such a split country then the first step to mending the country is for him to stand down.

Guest GhostHunter

Not really. He campaigned with a mandate to hold a referendum, and we voted the SNP to a landslide victory. He's all about independence though, so it's probably time to step down.

Salmond wanted devo max from the outset, Cameron said no to devo max. I doubt anyone in Scotland will complain if that's what we end up with.

This.

When TF will Edinburgh declare It is now embarrassing the time Edinburgh is taking

Maybe they can't believe 250,000 voted Yes.....ahem

The pattern has been set and with Edinburgh at only 39% Yes it seems those English students and workers have helped skew the vote... a large non scottish voting base alongside voters who work for many of the multi nationals, energy companies and banks meant many were always going to be no voters...much the same as Aberdeen.

Edited by CJGJ

For the last few years, he's geared the SNP (and Scotland) up for tonight's vote.

It's always been about an independent Scotland, or, as he puts it, Team Scotland

And, as if by magic, he tweets, "Well Done to Glasgow, our commonwealth city".

WTF Salmond.

75% turnout and you're congratulating them ?

That's more respect lost.

Whoever came up with Team Scotland should have been shot.

Whichever way the vote went, I've never considered anyone not to be part of Scotland and on the whole most of us to be proud to be so.

As an aside, apart from daft extremists this has never been anti English either. Found it hilarious that Scotland has found it's very own Rev. Ian Paisley and Martin McGinness Chuckle Brothers in Lord John Reid, ex Irish Republican and Communist and David Coburn of UKIP.

Edited by DETTY29

I voted yes but fully expected this outcome. Life will go on as normal, today will be like any other for me.

That's true but I also hope that now that we are through this process that many Yes supporters will recognise that, for many No supporters, life wasn't going to go as normal and be like any other day for us.

You can't miss what you have never had...it's a different story if it is all you have ever known (and are satisfied with it).

I think the fact this decision was so close could ultimately backfire on the Westminster parties if they back out of giving Scotland additional powers (and some of their MPs are already threatening to do so) or go further down the UKIP route and vote to pull out of the EU.

Should those things happen I can see another referendum in Scotland in a couple of years that the Yes campaign will win.

Guest GhostHunter

I think the fact this decision was so close could ultimately backfire on the Westminster parties if they back out of giving Scotland additional powers (and some of their MPs are already threatening to do so) or go further down the UKIP route and vote to pull out of the EU.

Should those things happen I can see another referendum in Scotland in a couple of years that the Yes campaign will win.

I'm sorry, but it's not a "close" decision at all.

Look at the numbers of voters, not the percentages....not close at all.

Wow. Silent majority indeed.

You wouldn't have thought that Edinburgh would have voted the way it did if you were relying on the Hearts and Hibs messageboards for your information. :ninja:

Close ??

Edinburgh, I'm ashamed of you.

Folks, divest yourselves of any accounts or shares in those weasely financial institutions that went with Cameron's blandishments/threats.

I'm sorry, but it's not a "close" decision at all.

Look at the numbers of voters, not the percentages....not close at all.

Indeed. Its like taking Edinburghs vote out the equation - well over 300,000 votes.

And they haven't even finished counting yet.

Its the result I predicted. I was in the silent majority.

BoJack Horseman

SNP will be trotting out the "we would've won, but they promised more powers, like we wanted originally, and that made people vote No." if you buy into that then yes, if they go back on their promises then shit might hit the fan. I don't buy into that. This would have been the result regardless of the vow, but I'm glad they did it.

You wouldn't have thought that Edinburgh would have voted the way it did if you were relying on the Hearts and Hibs messageboards for your information. :ninja:

Or anecdotal walking down the streets evidence.

As you may see from my posts i,m highly delighted with the outcome,Over the last few months I,ve become a Tory b!"?^&d a traitor a quisling and more.However I recognise that Yes won 45% of the franchise .Things just have to change .Please no recriminations and I,ll be the first on the streets if anybody reneges on new powers .

Guest GhostHunter

Time to move forwards, push for the changes that Cameron & Co intimated, push for devo-max and start addressing the issues that matter in Scotland - unemployment, housing and welfare issues.

A monumental day for Scotland - and no matter who we voted for, the country WILL change forever.

What is amazing is the lack of appearances by all the leaders of the 3 main politcal UK parties

Not one of them is trusted in Scotland and that says it all.

Fife now votes No.. but not by such a huge amount as Edinburgh, now it is official the No campaign has won the vote overall.

Scotland has voted No

Only another 15 years at least to wait until the next vote

Never in doubt :). The Yes campaign certainly succeeded in shouting louder and sticking more posters up but the silent majority have won the day. Delighted.