Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Because it was so high. Compare it to overall general election turnout. Compare it to similar populations in other elections.

a quarter of the voters in Scotlands largest city failed to show up.

That's a disgrace any way you look at it.

No result is a clear demand for substantial change according to Nicola Sturgeon.

Eh?

Whether it is or isn't, it's been promised.

Now you argue who played the best poker hand considering the rout and what Westminster now has to give up to all parts of the UK

And they have promised no reduction in Barnett too.

:) :) :)

BoJack Horseman

If I'm being honest ?

No, I don't think the majority in Scotland will ever side with an Independent Scotland.

I think it will happen in my lifetime. Maybe not yours :P.

Look - if the independence grass roots movement wants to get any kind of traction next time it needs to sort out what it is going to do about currency, pensions, immigration etc BEFORE the vote

People need to be given the opportunity to make an informed choice rather than be treated like extras from Braveheart.

Agree with every word of this.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So are we now all aboard the federalism train?

I think the other parts of the UK will have to go down that road. The question there is what the structure England operates is.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

What is she meant to say? As it stand, 1.1m Scots want independence, and 1.3m don't. I think that shows that a large chunk of the country want change. Not enough for a majority, but enough to be heard.

The question was yes/no to independence. That's what it shows.

dobmisterdobster
So over to the Three amigos to deliver the Vow promises .

The leaders made the promises but the MPs won't deliver.

At least Cameron has the answer to the West Lothian question which Labour won't like.

Edited by dobmisterdobster

dobmisterdobster
So are we now all aboard the federalism train?

I would be if such a train existed.

Edited by dobmisterdobster

BoJack Horseman

Yep, you're right, of course. There will be absolutely no in-depth analysis of the statistics.

Isn't Hardeep Kohli actually English, if we're being picky.

I've no standards at all. I saw the fella on BBC 2 with the sound down and presumed he was of Asian connection. Maybe if I'd turned the sound up I'd have learned differently.

That notwithstanding, I just keep thinking that he reminds me of someone else. :whistling:

I'm sure you would like to think so.......some actually look more deeply than a simple majority vote.

You can take it as read that some of the voters who voted No did so because of the promises made about new powers. Were those not to be delivered questions would be correctly raised about the vote.

Change is coming and not just for Scotland... the impact will be felt 'nationwide'.

Edited by CJGJ

Salmond not talking until 10 am.

That's too long unless composing his thoughts before resigning.

He'll be waiting for Cameron's speech I think and a response will be forthcoming based on that as well

Least bitter of the Yes leaders interviewed

Swinney has always been the brightest and the most sensible but a lack of charisma is his weakness. He rarely let's his guard down. Salmond and Sturgeon lose the heid far too easily.

Quick question - do you think that this defeat for Yes, makes Salmond's position untenable as First Minister ?

I don't think it makes it untenable, though he may decide to go anyway.

Quick question - do you think that this defeat for Yes, makes Salmond's position untenable as First Minister ?

Why ?

150,000 people and their votes were/will be the difference between a No vote and independence.

Edited by CJGJ

William H. Bonney

yes, no question. he will step down today

Not untenable but he should do the decent thing and step down - let us all move on.

Personally no but I do think he'll stand down

I don't but also don't expect him to be party leader come 2016.

But then my skills of political analysis are on a par with Baldrick...

Guest GhostHunter

Why ?

For the last few years, he's geared the SNP (and Scotland) up for tonight's vote.

It's always been about an independent Scotland, or, as he puts it, Team Scotland

And, as if by magic, he tweets, "Well Done to Glasgow, our commonwealth city".

WTF Salmond.

75% turnout and you're congratulating them ?

That's more respect lost.

Yep, you're right, of course. There will be absolutely no in-depth analysis of the statistics.

It would have been much better to have had a devo max option on the ballet, but Cameron & Salmond were both scared. Ironically it seems we are now going to get the thing that absolutely nobody voted for.

The PM congratulates Alistair Darling on the campaign.

And the (unwritten) constitution ripped up on the basis of a rogue YouGov poll.

Darling, Cameron, Clegg, Milliband have played blinders :)

With final push to rout from Gordon Brown - who probably led the vow co-ordination.

Can he do anything right for someone considered Scotland's finest mind?

Edited by DETTY29

BoJack Horseman

Not really. He campaigned with a mandate to hold a referendum, and we voted the SNP to a landslide victory. He's all about independence though, so it's probably time to step down.

It would have been much better to have had a devo max option on the ballet, but Cameron & Salmond were both scared. Ironically it seems we are now going to get the thing that absolutely nobody voted for.

Salmond wanted devo max from the outset, Cameron said no to devo max. I doubt anyone in Scotland will complain if that's what we end up with.