Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Guest GhostHunter

My problem with more powers to Holyrood is that the place is full of half-wits. Do we really want them to get more power over us. Time for some good people to step up to the political plate in Scotland and put themselves forward for election. Get rid of the failed local councillors who've moved up one carriage on the gravy train.

I've got a feeling SNP may not be the governing party come the next election....

Guest C00l K1d

Salmond's speech there was awful.

Thanking & congratulating those that voted Yes - no grace, no class.

I don't think Scotland can move on with him at the helm. Let Sturgreon take over and do it quickly.

This.

My problem with more powers to Holyrood is that the place is full of half-wits. Do we really want them to get more power over us. Time for some good people to step up to the political plate in Scotland and put themselves forward for election. Get rid of the failed local councillors who've moved up one carriage on the gravy train.

Oh and before anyone says Westminster is the same. I agree but the crowd in Holyrood make the shysters in Westminster look like rocket scientists.

That is a fair point.. many of our best are at Westmister.

.If the UK MP's are not to vote on many issues at Westminster is there a need for 2 sets of representatives... could they not do both ?

Guest GhostHunter

Does this mean we can bin the Flower of Scotland as the national anthem ?

Seriously though, the focus is on Darling now, to work alongside the SNP, and make sure that Cameron pledges are delivered. This isn't a situation that he can back down from, so he must deliver them - failure to do so, WILL unite Scotland, and WILL result in independence further down the line...

Even the Yes campaign can see the benefits of this ?

Does this mean we can bin the Flower of Scotland as the national anthem ?

Seriously though, the focus is on Darling now, to work alongside the SNP, and make sure that Cameron pledges are delivered. This isn't a situation that he can back down from, so he must deliver them - failure to do so, WILL unite Scotland, and WILL result in independence further down the line...

Even the Yes campaign can see the benefits of this ?

I genuinely think we'll see a UK wide re-jig

By January some form of draft will be in place but of course just what

Now for the other parts of the UK.... English votes for english issues is a certainty too it seems and shortly as well.

Can we really now expect 2 sets of MPs to be required given the lack of work for many Westminster MP's ?

This could spell the end for any future non English PM or even serving in senior ministerial positions in the UK as it would be strange to have him/them controlling only limited parts of the UK Legislature.

dobmisterdobster
Cameron " English votes on English issues to be delivered at the same pace as settlement for Scotland"

As I said earlier. This is Cameron's answer to the West Lothian question. Labour will not like that.

The PM address the wider questions well there I thought.What a great feeling this morning, we've dodged a bullet and now must make sure there can be no repeat.

It didn't take long for the focus to be on England

Less than 12 hours since the polls closed and England will now dominate the discussion

All the chat about Scotland losing money from the Barnett formula if they obtain tax raising powers and use them.. none of which was mentioned prior to the vote.

Still we voted for it.

Number of points to raise,

Firstly, the people have spoken and as John Smith would say "devolution is the settled will of the Scottish people".

Secondly, we are not a laughing stock. We have cherished unity and solidarity. For the right and wrong we have endorsed the union and we have to move forward.

Thirdly, we have heard today the will is there, and thank god it is, to develop, as the PM has said, a new and fair settlement for the Union. That's for us, Wales, Northern Ireland and all the English. If that means an empowered Holyrood, Cardiff and Stormont, then it may mean a limit to the powers of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs in Westminster on English matters. That is fair and right. I believe, with a man like Lord Smith chosen to lead this commission, a man respected in Number 10 and Bute house, that this can be an engaging, revitalising and empowering process for all Scots and all Scottish parties. As well as those across the UK.

Fourthly, i hope the democratic engagement shown for who runs what can be replicated and maintained on:

- the new powers are to be

- reconciliation and moving forward, and

- in the next two elections and on, not just in Scotland but across the UK for Westminster to come.

Good thread, thanks to all those who've engaged in this debate and been here and gone and come back or were gone for good as a result of it. Thanks to the Mods. I look forward to debating the outcomes, discussing the next stage and going forward into the elections to follow.

dobmisterdobster

Less than 12 hours since the polls closed and England will now dominate the discussion

All the chat about Scotland losing money from the Barnett formula if they obtain tax raising powers and use them.. none of which was mentioned prior to the vote.

Still we voted for it.

It's always give with one hand, take away with the other when it comes to devolution.

..and then said, "perhaps, forever".

Lifetime was it not.. somewhat short of forever.. ..

PM says independence question in Scotland has been 'settled for a generation, or, as Alex Salmond said, perhaps a lifetime.'

Bullseye.

I'm all for independence, but not when it's based on a total punt.

I was always open to the idea until I looked into the snp's plans.

Absolutely thrilled.

Good victory for YouGov too who got it spot on.

Or as Andrew Neil put it

'A Federal UK based on one rogue YouGov poll'

Or along those lines.

Still we voted for it.

This is fairly cynical.

Tommy Sheridan on 5 Live

:cornette:

On 5Live on Monday after Cameron's speech, Peter Allen said in the interest of fairness, if any YES campaign provides a response to the Prime Minister, we will respectfully broadcast their response in full.

Cue Tommy's response.

Top trolling by the BBC.

Scotland has dodged a bullet big time here.

Salmond and the Yes mob have been unbelievably reckless, trying to suck people into independence on the basis of zero facts or guarantees. A sham of a campaign from them.

I read they were formed in 1934, that is 80 years to get to what they wanted and they were hopeless. Nothing to offer. That joke of a white paper.

Really.?.. see above post 24859 for the true statement

So not a quote it would seem

Cameron stated that it was a Salmond quote - he didn't say it was from today's statement.

But accurate you will agree.

Nah - we've been moaning that the UK system needs changed. Here we have it.

We're not the only part of this union. There's no reason that England shouldn't have its own settlement too & it absolutely makes sense to do that now.

Stayed away from this thread on purpose, gutted at the vote. Westminster now has to deliver which will be a tough job. If they do not deliver it will be game on again.

Lord Smith once told me that when they were building the Museum of Scotland the money ran out before they could clad the back (southside) of the building in sandstone. But because it was such a bizarre building nobody seemed to notice that it was not and never has been finished!

From dodging about on the web, seems that there is a general expectation that Salmond should resign now. But also a general acceptance that Sturgeon would take over. Yet this was her blueprint, her White Paper - one which I am told she did not let Cabinet members see before it was printed! She has also been Independence Minister at public expense for 2 years. Surely she should move to the backbenches too? In fact with the likes of Neil and McAskill completely discredited there should be a fresh election at Holyrood? Is this possible under the current constitutional settlement?

I wonder what the historians will trace as the key factors in the last week or so? A natural fear of change asserting itself? The corporate interventions? The timetable for new powers? Those who had kept quiet to avoid the issues involved with making their preference clear prior to the vote? At this point it looks like the intervention of Gordon Brown was really important in getting the Labour vote out. I would say that Douglas Alexander, Jim Murphy and Kezia Dugdale were seriously impressive too in the latter weeks of the campaign. Perhaps a combination of some of them leading Scottish Labour and a natural withering of the SNP vote (no longer possible to make assertions about how independence will change everything) will return Labour to power at Holyrood?

One other thing - I posted years ago on here about how the SNP had cast aside the 20% or so of voters in Scotland who have naturally voted Conservative. There was no effort to try to bring small State, entrepreneurial, mercantile people from that group into the fold. Perhaps the swing required to get a Yes vote was lost by demonising that group of people.

Listening to Farage just now, and taking into account the timescales promised by the 3 amigos, his comments are as relevant as Tommy Sheridan's.

Edit - forgot about by elections and p.ntiall UKIP getting seats at next GE

Edited by DETTY29

Now the vote has passed all we hear is how we receive too much money already and the English don't get a fair deal

So promises made are now under attack on the first day after the vote..

Just imagine if all this had been mentioned prior to the vote.. your funding will be cut but vote No

Still we voted for it.

The amount of people on social media saying they are ashamed to be Scottish :cornette:

Hopefully they'll use the free movement within the EU to move abroad if that's the case :whistles:

Edited by Ivan Drago

The Real Maroonblood

He never said that at all... he quoted Salmon who said not for at least a generation.

There will be referendums periodically until Scotland becomes independent.

Can see Brown/Darling completing a coup to take over the lead of the Labour Party. Think Miliband is far too weak to challenge Cameron.

Cameron stated that it was a Salmond quote - he didn't say it was from today's statement.

I gave you the quote

He has never said forever but still the truth is rarely part of politics

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Glasgow and Dundee want to secede from the union I think it should be permitted.

East and West Dun-gow, analogous to the partition of India.

This idea has a lot of merit.

Not bitter, just don't understand how folk have such short memories.

It's not as much short memories, but there being a total lack of substance about the SNP's plans and their white paper having one page of figures which were based on a high oil price.

Not exactly a plan of action, but more a wish list.