Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

"raising concerns about the integrity of the election process in the Scottish referendum."

Interesting, an excuse for BT to call a bum deal if the vote doesn't go their way.

"raising concerns about the integrity of the election process in the Scottish referendum."

Interesting, an excuse for BT to call a bum deal if the vote doesn't go their way.

That was always a given.

This will not happen....one way or tuther.

It does sound like a bum deal though - regardless of which way the vote goes.

Do you think saying they are undecided is a nice way of telling you to piss off?

Surely saying you are undecided is exactly the sort of people Yes campaigners would want to speak to!?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Surely saying you are undecided is exactly the sort of people Yes campaigners would want to speak to!?

Depends if the person wishes to engage in conversation or not. You say much more with body language.

There have been many accusations flying around implying that the Yes Campaign is scaremongering and lying about the swingeing cuts to our block grant as a consequence of probable cuts in NHS spending in England.

Check out Questions to the Prime Minister - Wednesday 10 September 2014 at 17.45 minutes into the following link - where a Sheffield Labour MP is raising the matter of 22-24% cut in NHS budgets between now and 2018 which have been intimated to a health practice in his constituency by NHS England.

http://www.parliamen...september-2014/

Everything in the NHS in England is 'hunky dory' according to Murphy, Lamont, Darling and Co. What a bunch of desperate deceivers.

Edited by billco98

It's a better excuse that some that yes would come out with.

Everyone should be interested in ensuring the vote is reliable. Hopefully these are just a few isolated errors.

There have been many accusations flying around implying that the Yes Campaign is scaremongering and lying about the swingeing cuts to our block grant as a consequence of probable cuts in NHS spending in England.

Check out Questions to the Prime Minister - Wednesday 10 September 2014 at 17.45 minutes into the following link - where a Sheffield Labour MP is raising the matter of 22-24% cut in NHS budgets between now and 2018 which have been intimated to a health practice in his constituency by NHS England.

Everything in the NHS in England is 'hunky dory' according to Murphy, Lamont, Darling and Co. What a bunch of desperate deceivers.

I haven't heard anybody from Better Together say thr NHS in England is fine. That's a total fabrication. The argument is that the nhs is sufficiently protected from privatisation under the current set up and that it would not be better served under independence.

With all due respect - I really wish Salmond would stop with this whole "Team Scotland" shite.

Same. File it under "Sco-lympians" as cringeworthy nonsense.

Ain't that the truth

If it's a yes vote im painting the kerb stones outside my house red white and blue.

Not really, but I can envisage stuff like that happening in certain places.

BoJack Horseman

Why is it assumed that these 3 year olds would vote for independence? Maybe they are pro union.

This isn't a go at you but it's stuff like this that means I can't wit til it's all over. The debate has descended into good old fashioned party politics.

I haven't heard anybody from Better Together say thr NHS in England is fine. That's a total fabrication. The argument is that the nhs is sufficiently protected from privatisation under the current set up and that it would not be better served under independence.

We all know that the NHS is under incredible pressure everywhere. The question we should all be asking is can we afford NOT to change the way the NHS is financed and operated.

Pro-rata, Scotland is going to have to put more into caring for a ageing and less healthy population than the UK as a whole (hence the "Barnett Consequentials") and how do we do that? By diverting more resources or by changing the way it is provided is how. There is no huge pot of extra money for an independent Scotland and, in fact, the total budget "on which we will be able to make our own decisions" will be smaller than at present; the myth of extra oil and renewables revenue is a myth as misleading the myth that Barnett returns less than we input.

I will guarantee that, within 5 years, an independent Scotland will have "a multi-layered approach to provision that is a mix of the best that the state institutions and private healthcare can provide." That is nothing other than the "privatisation" that Sturgeon has been (hypocritically) ranting about these past few weeks.

English paper down here practically saying dangle carrot to uglies to join English leagues and secure 100k of votes for No campaign thus settling it :rofl:

We all know that the NHS is under incredible pressure everywhere. The question we should all be asking is can we afford NOT to change the way the NHS is financed and operated.

Pro-rata, Scotland is going to have to put more into caring for a ageing and less healthy population than the UK as a whole (hence the "Barnett Consequentials") and how do we do that? By diverting more resources or by changing the way it is provided is how. There is no huge pot of extra money for an independent Scotland and, in fact, the total budget "on which we will be able to make our own decisions" will be smaller than at present; the myth of extra oil and renewables revenue is a myth as misleading the myth that Barnett returns less than we input.

I will guarantee that, within 5 years, an independent Scotland will have "a multi-layered approach to provision that is a mix of the best that the state institutions and private healthcare can provide." That is nothing other than the "privatisation" that Sturgeon has been (hypocritically) ranting about these past few weeks.

The SNP have in government already used private providers to help provide health care, social care and other aspects of the public health sector.

Majority of Scots gps are private and paid by the NHS for their NHS patients. Dentists too. Opticians as well.

Its already multilayered.

Geoff Kilpatrick

English paper down here practically saying dangle carrot to uglies to join English leagues and secure 100k of votes for No campaign thus settling it :rofl:

:vrface:

Actually, it would be probably easier to get shot of them with a Yes vote as there would be no threat to the SFA and a Scottish international team.

Actually, it would be probably easier to get shot of them with a Yes vote as there would be no threat to the SFA and a Scottish international team.

Sunday Express! They then say a Yes vote will effectively end any chance they have of playing in England :gok:

0931661b59e6054f948220eb875cb0c1.jpg

Why is it assumed that these 3 year olds would vote for independence? Maybe they are pro union.

It was no voters who raised it after their children received polling cards. So it seems to be an issue across the board. Dundee seems to be an exceptional case though.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into.

The last thing any of us need is for there to be issues about the result. Ultimately this is fraud.

Edited by jambo1185

Geoff Kilpatrick

It was no voters who raised it after their children received polling cards. So it seems to be an issue across the board. Dundee seems to be an exceptional case though.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into.

The last thing any of us need is for there to be issues about the result.

If it's 3 year olds in Dundee their parents won't be old enough to vote either!

Jeezo. Galloway sounds almost reasonable on Sunday Politics. Has he taken some sedatives?

Im unsettled by how much I am agreeing with him :(

Edited by jambo1185

Toxteth O'Grady

If RBS and Standard Life relocate I will personally be delighted.

The next time RBS stuff up the rest of the UK can pay to bail them out.

The only dealings I've had with Standard Life was when they sold me an endowment policy which has produced a massive shortfall so they can GTF as well.

That has been doing the rounds for some weeks. I referred a Celtic supporting Yes voter to the quote at the time. I think it originated in the a Parish of Govan but there is some logic to it.

Ian Murray just on BBC News with his No Badge on.

Was it live? Just bumped into him 45 mins ago in Morningside. Shook him by the hand for his sterling efforts in the saving of our club :smile:

Edited by Brandt

Guest GhostHunter

Was it live? Just bumped into him 45 mins ago in Morningside.

It was when I posted I think - he was with some BBC News woman who's presenting overlooking Princes St Gardens,

It was when I posted I think - he was with some BBC News woman who's presenting overlooking Princes St Gardens,

Must have been. Was walking towards that way with his wee no sticker on.

The sad thing is it probably would sway the votes of a decent number.

The sad thing is it probably would sway the votes of a decent number.

No doubt about it. There's irony in staying in the union but feckin off from the Scottish league!

Edit: I should say hypocrisy!

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

A wee question to ask folk. In the street you live in and the surrounding streets / area. What would be the majority in yes/no posters in the windows of other residents?

Ive taken fair bit of the Morningside area in and i'd say 10/4 in favour of yes, posters.

Lots of folk with yes stickers/badges compared to very little no stickers/badges.

Edited by Brandt

A wee question to ask folk. In the street you live in and the surrounding streets. What would be the majority in yes/no posters in the windows of other residents?

Ive taken fair bit of the Morningside area in and i'd say 10/4 in favour of yes, posters.

Priestfield.

No No posters or stickers

No Yes posters or stickers

Much twitching of curtains though.

Edited by DETTY29

MrWinningSmith

A wee question to ask folk. In the street you live in and the surrounding streets. What would be the majority in yes/no posters in the windows of other residents?

West Pilton there is a number of Yes stickers in windows. I can't say I've seen any No stickers in my travels yet.

Anyone thinking of voting yes should be watching tommy Sheridan the now on bbc 1.... Enough to make you vote no

Galloway was really good. Unusually reasonable and talking openly about politics in Scotland. Clearly retains a lot of interest in the Holyrood and wider Scottish debate.

Sheridan was showing signs of being unhinged at times. His brand of, what is borderline, Trotskyism is never going to win votes. He's an electoral deadweight. More know that the SSP is still on the go than him and his Solidarity party which is a one man vehicle for him. Totally discredited himself when he lead the SSP and helped destroy them between 2003 and 2007. Which was a shame because they made decent gains on policies.

If we get a Yes win it will be a very interesting 2016 election. I can see the Galloways, Sheridans, Foxes and their like fighting hard for seats against Greens and SNP list seats up and down the country. Labour v the SNP would be most interesting. No doubt Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney would find an opposition of Brown, Alexander, Murphy etc a tougher fight to beat than Lamont and Gray.

Just still not so sure it is wise to go for independence especially under the model proposed.

Anyone thinking of voting yes should be watching tommy Sheridan the now on bbc 1.... Enough to make you vote no

Yep just saw it, Galloway even came across as highly respectable in comparison and that is saying something. Sheridan was embarrassing

We had Cameron on Monday telling us that if we go Independent, then we will no longer have a say as a permanent of the UN Security Council.

And yesterday, David Davies, ex football commentator and FA, that we may longer be allowed to be a permenent member of the FIFA council that sets the offside laws, thus giving the rest of the world veto over the UK nations.

We'll need a strong and loud voice from Jim Boyce to keep any changes fair.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What if England drags us out of the EU?

What if England leaves the EU but an independent Scotland was in it?

Would you like 70% of your exports to have tariffs?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Would they have tariffs?

That would depend on whether the UK was outside of both the EU and EFTA.

If it was, then it would be outside of the EU customs union and therefore all EU trade would be subject to tariffs.

The point is that what the UK does in relation to Europe will have an impact on Scotland, irrespective of whether it is in the EU or not.

If a yes campaigner came round my house i would be in two minds:

Either

1. Point out the flaws in their arguments therefore declaring myself as a no voter

Or

2. Just agree with them and tell them I'm voting yes/undecided to avoid my house/car being vandalised after Friday

As much as I would love to do the first, I'll opt with the second option as I know yes voters will never change their mind due to simple things like reality so there is no point trying

4. Say you're thinking of voting Yes but you're not sure. Could they explain, perhaps for several hours, why you should vote Yes? You will waste their time and might prevent somebody getting sucked in.

Edited by Gorgiewave

If the poll was based on stickers or posters in this neighbourhood, it would be cancelled thanks to apathy. The polling clerks would die of boredom long before tea-time.