Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

willie wallace

I see the queen has now spoken.we have to think very carefully about our future.i am sure that every voter yes or no will be grateful for that advice.

I see the queen has now spoken.we have to think very carefully about our future.i am sure that every voter yes or no will be grateful for that advice.

Quite a lot of people, on both sides, have not "thought carefully" but relied only on emotions.

Where's the logic in that?

The first Scottish General Election is the opportunity to shape the type of independence we want.

Why can people not grasp that this is not about Alex Salmond?

I suspect that deep down they do grasp it; it just gives them a convenient excuse to vote No.

willie wallace

Quite a lot of people, on both sides, have not "thought carefully" but relied only on emotions.

I am sure you are right GW but it is an emotional time.

While there's some truth in that, as there is in any election, I get the impression that most people actually living in Scotland are more engaged (and arguably informed) with this than any political event in 100+ years.

After meeting Ian Murray earlier i saw Amy Macdonald, Franz Ferdinand & Alex Salmond outside the Usher Hall for a photoshoot. I shouted for him to do the 5-1 and he laughed and said he cant as he still has to appease the Vermin and The Proclaimers :laugh:

Edited by Brandt

It is great for democracy that if , as is now the most likely, Scotland gain independence we have achieved it through peaceful means with no violence etc that usually accompanies such decisions. Thank goodness we are not N Ireland where votes are cast based on religion and fear.

Yes out in numbers today. Gathering at Middle Meadow walk and a mob outside the BBC Glasgow protesting about its coverage of the referendum

The BBC have been a disgrace. Impartial.............no way!

Why not just declare indpendence?

If things are going to remain civil, they should be properly negotiated and agreed by both parties, not dictated by Alex Salmond.

Do you mean rUK govt and Scottish govt? Why would negotiations be anything other than civil and properly negotiated and agreed?

Yes out in numbers today. Gathering at Middle Meadow walk and a mob outside the BBC Glasgow protesting about its coverage of the referendum

It was busy at the top of the meadows with a Yes group and 100 yards down in the middle there was a No stall with a handful of people and then at the bottom there was another decent sized Yes gathering.

Why not just declare indpendence?

If things are going to remain civil, they should be properly negotiated and agreed by both parties, not dictated by Alex Salmond.

Eh ? After a yes vote on Friday there will be 2 years of negotiations. Why do people still think Thursday is about voting for Mr Salmond? It's not it is about our futures. The time for deciding which party will lead Scotland will be for the electorate in 2 years time. It could be Labour it could be SNP. The voters,again will decide. Ironic that if it is Labour the very politicians that have been busy bullying, threatening and patronising those that want Independence may be in power!

The Mighty Thor
Intrigued by Salmond saying a No vote ends this debate for a generation. If it is a narrow margin of 2% or less, why would it?

I'd suggest it'd be the end of Salmond but the whole independence argument will not go away but rather may be enhanced next time with a different figurehead.

Scapegoats and excuses at the ready if No just do it and stumble a no win home.

Eh ? After a yes vote on Friday there will be 2 years of negotiations. Why do people still think Thursday is about voting for Mr Salmond? It's not it is about our futures. The time for deciding which party will lead Scotland will be for the electorate in 2 years time. It could be Labour it could be SNP. The voters,again will decide. Ironic that if it is Labour the very politicians that have been busy bullying, threatening and patronising those that want Independence may be in power!

Mr Churchill won a war and Mr Attlee a peace. Who's to say that if Labour offer a vision that scots prefer to the SNP that the same won't be true?

Two things to consider. A few months ago the SNP treasurer said his party would expend all their last pennies on this and could be left short for what will be a vibrant 2016 election. Another is, if Salmond and Sturgeon and Swinney are leading negotiations and are head down on that. Which you'd hope they'd be more concerned with this than running the nation day to day, that the SNP drop the ball on proposing a peace as it were and lose in 2016?

One thing I'll guarantee is that the mistrust between Scottish Labour and he SNP is clearly shared on either side by those in the top places. A coalition of the two won't be on the cards.

It was busy at the top of the meadows with a Yes group and 100 yards down in the middle there was a No stall with a handful of people and then at the bottom there was another decent sized Yes gathering.

There was a sizeable 'No' gathering at some cricket ground in the Edinburgh area today, though I'm not sure where; just saw pictures online.

Gatherings of committed supporters for either side should do little more than offer the media an opportunity to show strength, or not.

Mr Churchill won a war and Mr Attlee a peace. Who's to say that if Labour offer a vision that scots prefer to the SNP that the same won't be true?

Two things to consider. A few months ago the SNP treasurer said his party would expend all their last pennies on this and could be left short for what will be a vibrant 2016 election. Another is, if Salmond and Sturgeon and Swinney are leading negotiations and are head down on that. Which you'd hope they'd be more concerned with this than running the nation day to day, that the SNP drop the ball on proposing a peace as it were and lose in 2016?

One thing I'll guarantee is that the mistrust between Scottish Labour and he SNP is clearly shared on either side by those in the top places. A coalition of the two won't be on the cards.

IF the elections in an independent Scotland are organised as per the current Holyrood method we will almost certainly have coalition governments. Unlikely that the SNP and Scottish New Labour would form one mind you.

IF the elections in an independent Scotland are organised as per the current Holyrood method we will almost certainly have coalition governments. Unlikely that the SNP and Scottish New Labour would form one mind you.

Indeed. The first point is kinda valid. You could run a minority government like the SNP one of 2007-11. Relying on opposition support and working across the parties.

But I don't think anyone should expect a "Team Scotland Government" with Salmond as Prime Minister and Jim Murphy or Gordon Brown his Deputy. Neither like each other that much. Salmond and some of his backers would find a more open partner in the Conservatives or what ever they become post-Yes. After all every one of their budgets got Tory backing when they were a minority. Not so toxic when the UKs gone and Westminster isn't there.

The BBC have been a disgrace. Impartial.............no way!

BBC have quoted that 350 people protested outside the BBC about their bias - I have seen video footage......a few more than the reported 350!. Not sure if the BBC will make any more mention of it!

BBC have quoted that 350 people protested outside the BBC about their bias - I have seen video footage......a few more than the reported 350!. Not sure if the BBC will make any more mention of it!

What if, when reported the crowd was 350 strong and has subsequently grown?

This is like the anti-austerity cuts march. It wasn't covered up. But it was reported and it wasn't huge news. These protests happen all the time, the live social media reporting of it covered the angles you need. Who, what, when, where and why. The BBC and other major broadcasters didn't think it newsworthy because such gatherings are common and are followed by little subsequent action.

There are much bigger stories than a gathering of less than 500 folk about dubious BBC bias claims today. For some I accept the BBC is discredited from this campaign and it's coverage. I've thought it decent, not as good Channel 4, but better than Sky or ITV/STV.

Here's what I think is vital to consider on this yes campaign bias stuff. The camp has said it's a grassroots campaign, which needs little media coverage and has run by word of mouth to build it's campaign to what it is now. So if all that's true, who cares what the BBC say? Surely the yes movement will trump the voice of the BBC if it truly is such a movement by it's message.

Correct.

They don't really believe it though, just searching for excuses.

A fair enough assumption to make of people who are supporters of 'Yes', but how, then, would you explain this?

Yesterday the BBC's former Business Editor, Paul Mason, launched a stinging attack on the BBC over its coverage of the Scottish independence campaign.

Mason, who worked for the BBC for 12 years before becoming Economics Editor at Channel 4 News in 2013, wrote on his Facebook page that, "Not since Iraq have I seen BBC News working at propaganda strength like this. So glad I'm out of there."

What if, when reported the crowd was 350 strong and has subsequently grown?

This is like the anti-austerity cuts march. It wasn't covered up. But it was reported and it wasn't huge news. These protests happen all the time, the live social media reporting of it covered the angles you need. Who, what, when, where and why. The BBC and other major broadcasters didn't think it newsworthy because such gatherings are common and are followed by little subsequent action.

There are much bigger stories than a gathering of less than 500 folk about dubious BBC bias claims today. For some I accept the BBC is discredited from this campaign and it's coverage. I've thought it decent, not as good Channel 4, but better than Sky or ITV/STV.

Here's what I think is vital to consider on this yes campaign bias stuff. The camp has said it's a grassroots campaign, which needs little media coverage and has run by word of mouth to build it's campaign to what it is now. So if all that's true, who cares what the BBC say? Surely the yes movement will trump the voice of the BBC if it truly is such a movement by it's message.

In that case, then, you might use the present perfect continuous form of the verb: have been protesting.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

A fair enough assumption to make of people who are supporters of 'Yes', but how, then, would you explain this?

Yesterday the BBC's former Business Editor, Paul Mason, launched a stinging attack on the BBC over its coverage of the Scottish independence campaign.

Mason, who worked for the BBC for 12 years before becoming Economics Editor at Channel 4 News in 2013, wrote on his Facebook page that, "Not since Iraq have I seen BBC News working at propaganda strength like this. So glad I'm out of there."

Imagine doing some research into Paul Mason and finding out that he was a staunch left-winger.

An Ex employee slating his old work. Stunned by this like.

Sums up for me the fact Better Together are out knocking doors all over Edinburgh today and Yes Scotland are too busy staging "freedom" rallies in the Meadows and complaining about bias at the BBC.

[modedit]

The Mighty Thor

Imagine doing some research into Paul Mason and finding out that he was a staunch left-winger.

An Ex employee slating his old work. Stunned by this like.

Mason sounds bitter, very bitter.

Boy suggesting that the BBC might not be impartial immediately slated as being a bitter left winger?

:cornette:

The bbc has a self protectionist agenda. Always has had, always will do.

It relies on public funding and a lack of governmental scrutiny ergo it bends to the government of the day. Especially the blue ones.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Boy suggesting that the BBC might not be impartial immediately slated as being a bitter left winger?

:cornette:

The bbc has a self protectionist agenda. Always has had, always will do.

It relies on public funding and a lack of governmental scrutiny ergo it bends to the government of the day. Especially the blue ones.

Ah, he's entitled to his view but we're not. Coolio.

I didn't say he was a bitter left winger. I said he was a staunch left winger. That's a fact.

The Mighty Thor

Ah, he's entitled to his view but we're not. Coolio.

I didn't say he was a bitter left winger. I said he was a staunch left winger. That's a fact.

Who said you weren't entitled to your view.

To extend your logic you are a staunch right winger then?

It doesn't follow does it. Rather than debate the alleged bbc bias you dismiss the boy as a left wing crank.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Who said you weren't entitled to your view.

To extend your logic you are a staunch right winger then?

It doesn't follow does it. Rather than debate the alleged bbc bias you dismiss the boy as a left wing crank.

Have. A. Look. At. 'The Boy's'. Background.

Malinga the Swinga

Election shouldn't only about Salmond but that is the way he portrays it. Take away Sturgeon and Sillara, please take Sillars away forever, and who else has campaigned for Yes, via the mass media market. SNP want us to take a chance and gamble on Scotland being a success. This is far too big to gamble on or take a chance.

Being British has done me very well for 50 odd years and the two S's want me to back them because it might or could be better. It could or might be a lot worse as well and it is not worth the risk.

Still a No for me.

The Mighty Thor

Have. A. Look. At. 'The Boy's'. Background.

Examine. what. he. is. saying.

Has the bbc coverage of this referendum been biased either way?

Another debate on the BBC tonight. Ruth Davidson and Douglas Alexander for Better Together. The Rab C Actress and someone from the SNP for the other side.

Looking forward to this. I have been very impressed with Ruth Davidson

Looking forward to this. I have been very impressed with Ruth Davidson

I have as well, she was far and away the best on the panel the other night at the 16/17 year olds debate.

Examine. what. he. is. saying.

Has the bbc coverage of this referendum been biased either way?

Of course it has....the media is biased in all it's reporting.....it is the nature of the beast.

Social media is the alternative but that can be corrupted just as easily.

If you ain't cynical...you ain't listening....to paraphrase Noam Chomsky.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Amusing, on both sides, how people suddenly become fans of normally disliked groups or persons, that happen to agree with them.