The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Remember there was talk of Rangers doing a Clydebank and buying St Mirren now seemingly close to a fan ownership buy out.

Not sure whether this was in any way a possibility.

Not quite. From memory , some senior club figure at St Mirren was sacked for allowing representatives of Rangers (in liquidation) access to certain information. That led to speculation that Whyte might buy St Mirren and rename the club - IIRC. Happy to be corrected.

Footballfirst

Souness on his EBT

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1349924-celtic-have-better-players-but-result-isnt-certain-says-souness/

The former Rangers manager also took time to reflect on his own time at the club and pondered the question of whether or not the lavish spending on transfers during his tenure was a factor in the club's eventual financial meltdown.

Declining to answer on whether he would swap his years of success if it had avoided the problems of recent years, he said: "I think Rangers supporters would look back on those days with great pride.

"Obviously [Rangers] got their sums wrong at the end and mistakes were made but it was a golden period for Glasgow Rangers, make no mistake. And they will get back to that period again."

Souness also revealed the reason why he received an Employee Benefit Trust from Rangers a decade after leaving the club.

"I was doing work for Rangers," he said. "I was in between jobs and I was going to scout players for Glasgow Rangers at that time, on the continent."

It certainly looks like payment for work done on Rangers behalf, therefore tax should have been paid, just as the three lordships at the Court of Session ruled

Heartsofgold

Always how much you believe but a guy at works mate won their 5k half time draw at the Dumbarton game.

Asked to accept 2k just now, rest to be paid end April.

This against Lottery and gambling commission rules!!  Al prize money offered must be kept in a sequestered account for prompt payment.

The three situations are different and not directly comparable. 

Airdrieonians went bust and I'm not aware of anyone at the time trying too hard to save them, then add in the Clydebank situation etc. 

Gretna again went bust and I'm not aware of anyone trying to save them at the time, the new club are as far as a I know to all intents are a new club rather than a re-incarnation/imitation/zombie of the old club.

I believe there was a consortium interested in buying Gretna, however they pulled out after the SFL demoted Gretna to the 4th tier for financial irregularities. They were only interested if Gretna remained in the 2nd tier. After the consortium pulled out Gretna went in liquidation and left the SFL.

The Future's Maroon

This against Lottery and gambling commission rules!!  Al prize money offered must be kept in a sequestered account for prompt payment.

Pretty sure this is correct, I once ran a lotto thing at work (HMRC), but the red tape I had to get through was unreal...as much as I did have to open a bank account etc.

Just to have a silly lotto syndicate thing?

On Souness, I may have read that incorrectly but he has basically just admitted earning money (a "salary") which involved tax evasion?

Former Rangers manager Walter Smith believes a sense of bitterness about the way the club was treated remains as they gear up for Premiership football.

Smith maintains there was "no reason" for Rangers to have to re-enter the league in the lowest tier.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36025815

"We're Ranjurs, we're allowed to cheat"

Former Rangers manager Walter Smith believes a sense of bitterness about the way the club was treated remains as they gear up for Premiership football.

Smith maintains there was "no reason" for Rangers to have to re-enter the league in the lowest tier.

(H)unbelievable.

Bitterness? Well.....yes. It's now coming to light that you lot cheated on a massive scale to buy and pay players whilst avoiding tax. You bust and are being liquidated. A new entity were allowed back into Scottish football via the lowest tier calling themselves Rangers whilst at the same time othe per clubs aspiring to get into that division were swept aside. Yes we are bitter and rightly so, Walter.

Edited by Dannie Boy

Francis Albert

And he implies Hibs and Hearts relegations were down to the unjustified removal of "Rangers" from the top flight!

Sums up everything you need to know about the Rangers mindset and why they believe they are above the law and rules and regulations. Then and now.

Edited by Francis Albert

And he implies Hibs and Hearts relegations were down to the unjustified removal of "Rangers" from the top flight!

Sums up everything you need to know about the Rangers mindset and why they believe they are above the law and rules and regulations. Then and now.

And exactly how would that have worked, Wattie ?

Like we got less points from the other teams than we would have if your lot had been there ?

Aye ok then.

Funny really

Dementia or something maybe kicking in.

And there was me ready to forgive and forget the sectarian club's 100 years of dividing and bullying Scottish society as well.

That man is an idiot and has clearly learned absolutely nothing from the demise of the previous rangers.

I wonder if he thinks "ways to help the manager" would include a dodgy tax scheme to pay the players more or just simply overspend to enable a further liquidation of his beloved rangers. Both these were in place when he was the manager and we all know how that ended. Perhaps like any other team they could live within their means and try to build a team from the income they derive rather than always looking for some scheme or benefactor to allow them to overspend.

Did he never once in his time as manager wonder where all the money was coming from to fund his ridiculous overspending, or did he ever, even for a brief moment, realise the damage he and his chairman were doing to Scottish football? I think not.

His arrogance now knows no bounds when it comes to his beloved rangers. He as much if not more than some individuals not only let his club die but was instrumental in the club dying in the first place. Perhaps a little humility might be in order but I won't hold my breath waiting.

"There was no necessity for Rangers to be put down into the Third Division and I think that's the thing that will always stay in Scottish football.

There's no doubt it was the wrong move in my eyes. Scottish football has been worse off and a lot of the teams who were happy to see Rangers go down have suffered and found themselves relegated or in the process of being relegated."

Senility is a cruel condition.

Quite simply it just reinforces everybody's view that Walters just a complete and utter bellend.

Utter wally, dare say the Scottish media will be on their knees with mouths wide open at this.

Bitterness? Well.....yes. It's now coming to light that you lot cheated on a massive scale to buy and pay players whilst avoiding tax. You bust and are being liquidated. A new entity were allowed back into Scottish football via the lowest tier calling themselves Rangers whilst at the same time other per clubs aspiring to get into that division were swept aside. Yes we are bitter and rightly so, Walter.

I thought he was saying the 'Rangers' fans were the bitter ones. 

Jambo-Jimbo

And there are some on here who wonder why there is so much ill feeling towards that bigoted arrogant condescending cesspit of a club.

Almost every interview from past players, managers, and the likes reinforces why I believe why that club needs to die again and this time permanently.

alicante jambo

Ill repeat again what i said before.Even being allowed into the 3rd division was a disgrace.The very least shouldve been demoted the the junior leagues and then made to play their way through the leagues.Scottish football is bent and that shower being allowed into the 3rd division lets everyone know its bent.

I picked that up when I heard it driving home. I think a lot of other fans are feeling bitter as well about the way the whole debacle was handle by the Scottish football authorities and more so now after Smith implied that we were relegated due to the way Rangers were treated. The truth is nobody missed them and the game was better for it.

Francis Albert

He was, but saying that they were justifiably bitter because of the way their club was treated.

Francis Albert

And exactly how would that have worked, Wattie ?

Like we got less points from the other teams than we would have if your lot had been there ?

Aye ok then.

I think he's suggesting that the financial impact of losing Rangers hurt us. Minor issues like the implosion of Vlad'd businesses won't have impinged on his narrow little world/Govan view, nor will he have noticed that financially we were so damaged we stopped giving the successor club "Rangers" (and Celtic) the whole of the Roseburn.

(H)unbelievable.

IRRESPONSIBLE IN THE EXTREME.

Akin to McCoist's who are these people?

Smith should think before he speaks.

Edited by Riccarton3

Noted this quote from the article:

"He also believes the Ibrox board "have to find a way" to back manager Mark Warburton to compete in the top flight."

Walter, I have a great idea.  You could use a clever, potentially dodgy, mibbe semi-legal mechanism to avoid paying tax on wages to players.  That'd effectively bump up the wage levels available for players.  At no extra cost to the club, you can improve the playing squad. 

I mean what could go wrong?

132goals1958

Well Walter what should have happened when Oldco went in to liquidation. Should the rules have been bent further than they were.Just as a little post script have you anything to say about your EBT.

Independence

It is arrogant, bigoted and shameless people like Watty that make The Rankers the most hated football team in Scotland.

Toxteth O'Grady

He's a bitter senile old git. He is also one on the many weedgie centred tossers that doesn't know what provincial means.

Seymour M Hersh

IRRESPONSIBLE IN THE EXTREME.

Akin to McCoist's who are these people?

Smith should think before he speaks.

That would be a first.

Jambo-Jimbo

It is arrogant, bigoted and shameless people like Watty that make The Rankers the most hated football team in Scotland.

And it's not that long ago the lying King was wanting to build bridges with the rest of Scottish football, then you get bigots like Smith showing what all at Ibrox really think about the rest of Scottish Football.

ToadKiller Dog

Old Uncle Walter a blathering bitter old man , Hibs being relegated was feck all to do with the new Orc team starting at the bottom it's because Hibs were a mess of a club who's fans were focused on our troubles . Yes Aberdeen are a provincial club but so are your beloved bigots .

Tommy Brown

Nailed it.

colinmaroon

You have it right!

"Rangers should never have been put down," he said!

I WISH!!!

You have it right!

"Rangers should never have been put down," he said!

I WISH!!!

Saw him being interviewed on STV sports news. The guy who was doing the interview had the opportunity to rip him to shreds and didn't. Sums up the media in this country.

dozy dick the dooman

Are the Bbc allowed into that place again

Maybe he's after another try at management when the bread man loses his magic hat.

"There was no necessity for Rangers to be put down into the Third Division and I think that's the thing that will always stay in Scottish football.

There's no doubt it was the wrong move in my eyes. Scottish football has been worse off and a lot of the teams who were happy to see Rangers go down have suffered and found themselves relegated or in the process of being relegated."

Senility is a cruel condition.

Old Rangers were guilty of many things, Walter, but blaming them for the global financial crisis which ruined VR and led eventually to our admin and relegation seems a bit harsh.

He also seems to have missed the fact that relegation was the price Hearts paid for ridding ourselves of VR and a toxic level of debt. We took our medicine, didn't complain, and bounced back in one season - leaving 'Rangers' in our dust. Relegation was merely part of our healing process.

Just the start of the gibbering pish that we will have to endure when these bigots get a place at the big table next season.

The difference this time is they are 'pink lint' and do not have a 'pot to pish in'. Who's fault will that be, considering they let their club die......

I hope the chief inspector from the weegies finest has to step into Selliks dressing room on Sunday and tell them to take their foot of the gas. I think that is a distinct possibility. 

I found that interview incredibly naive, fundamentally flawed and so unbelievably frustrating.

I never minded Walter Smith when he was Rangers manager, he backed his club and players without crossing too many lines and wasn't too inflammatory in the main.

That nonsense tonight was just irresponsible though, with all the rhetoric from The Rangers fans about revenge and payback he has done nothing to dispel any of the myths that these nutters thrive on.

"Were put down to the third division...."

"Clubs that were happy to see this are now relegated or going to be relegated" a dig at Hibs and Utd by my interpretation.

" This was a wrong decision for Scottish football......"

God there was so much wrong with what he said, you could hear Richard Gordon and Tom English almost speechless with what they had heard.

And as for the clubs that have suffered as a result of them being out the league ? Celtic. That's about it I think.

Pandering at its most toe-curling !!

Stephen Muddie

I just read the BBC article. OMG can't believe it, came here to link it... Glad to see you guys have been on the case for hours

What a total throbber Smith is. Words can't describe

Kilmarnock supported Rangers being admitted to Premiership and they look like they could get relegated.

How does that compute

Tommy Brown

You can swap the cardigans name for any Rangers fan's name.

Every hun I know, has spouted the same pish since they were liquidated.

i wish jj was my dad

Like the weegia and the authorities the old traitor still thinks that Scottish football exists for the benefit of the two sets of bigots from Glasgow.  So it doesn't matter that Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee etc, etc have thrived. Celtic and Rangers have lost money which in their world means Scottish football. 

The reason that these throbbers spout this stuff is entirely down to the inaction of the SFA. Had they taken the firm action that was required and stripped Oldco of the "Honours" that they won through cheating, idiots like Smith would not have been able to peddle the nonsense that he does. They cheated, their club died, and a completely new club was formed and admitted to the lowest Division in Scottish senior football. The new club was not punished , indeed they were done favours to allow them to participate. That needs to be rammed down the throats of these idiots every time they put their heads above the parapet and spout their pish.

If the authorities had treated Rangers the same way as they treated Gretna Clydebank etc their fans would have been angry . However they didn't and left it to the clubs to ensure the precedent was followed. The fans of the tribute act blame the clubs for their being allowed into the bottom tier and this is the cause of the hatred. If the authorities had acted properly the majority would have realised they had been treated according to the rules and their sense of injustice may have subsided. In essence the hatred has been instigated by the failure of Doncaster regan and longmuir to apply the same rules to rangers as they applied and would have applied to any other liquidated club

Footballfirst

Kilmarnock supported Rangers being admitted to Premiership and they look like they could get relegated.

How does that compute

Killie abstained in the vote to allow Sevco to be admitted to the SPL, as they were keen to retain the blue pound.  Their recently published accounts show them still losing money despite sorting out their bank debt a couple of years ago.  Relegation could be the final straw for them if they continue to miss out on the blue pound on the way down.

Edited by Footballfirst

Killie abstained in the vote to allow Sevco to be admitted to the SPL, as they were keen to retain the blue pound. Their recently published accounts show them still losing money despite sorting out their bank debt a couple of years ago. Relegation could be the final straw for them if they continue to miss out on the blue pound on the way down.

Never like to see a club struggle financially (with three obvious exceptions) but they deserve to struggle after their kow towing to the Huns.

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

@GAPonsonby

Why the hell is BBC Scotland allowing its pundits to stoke up resentment ahead of this weekend's Old Firm game? Madness.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic