The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

The Trust Funds would be pursued  IMHO.   They are the legacy of Oldco. 

There has to be accounting continuity between Oldco and its present " pot"  wherever that is. 

I'm looking forward to poor old Bazza forking up his Million quid though  as he doesnt have it any more. 

Footballfirst

It's a complicated mess which no doubt will takes years to unravel. The bottom line is these EBTs are earnings and therefore taxable and at some point tax will need to be paid unless as you say the monies revert back RFC PLC.

I don't see the monies reverting to RFC plc at all.  The trusts still exist and were legitimately set up.  The trustees are, in theory, both independent and at arms length from the club. The trustees have done nothing illegal. The trusts only hold the money that was deposited within them, with the trustees only responsible for distributing the funds, making investments or providing loans at the request of the beneficiaries.

The taxman is only interested in the two ends of the scheme, i.e. tax liability of the funds entering the trusts, and the funds exiting the trusts.

Footballfirst

Are you sure about the penalties and interest part??

Interest is obviously straightforward but the penalty phase is usually managed separately (by a separate first tier panel). There they will look at whether the non payment was accidental, deliberate and whether HMRC were at any stage deliberately misled. A totally different process to determining whether the payments were taxable.

I'm fairly sure HMRC will pursue the recipients (apparently now regardless of the outcome of the Supreme Court appeal) but only for the balance of what they owe should the Court of Session judgement be upheld.

The options for at least some of the players will be to somehow try to enforce the side letter on another party (would need a good contingency fee lawyer) or more likely to follow the numerous examples of recent times and declare personal bankruptcy.

You may be right about the initial assessments considered by the FTTT

From the FTTT report:

The initial assessments were variously amended and subsequently consolidated for the quantum of ?46,265,397 as at 21 April 2010. The split of the total assessed is ?34,650,228 for income tax, and ?11,615,169 for employer?s national insurance contributions.

The assessments are the result of an enquiry opened in January 2004 by HMRC into the use of an employee benefit trust in the Murray Group. The assessments are served on five Murray Group companies: Murray Group Holdings Ltd (MGHL), Murray Group Management Ltd (MGML), the Premier Property Group Ltd (PPGL), G M Mining Ltd (GMML), and The Rangers Football Club Plc (Rangers). Of the ?46.2 million assessed, the sum of ?36.6 million (PAYE ?27.4m, NIC ?9.2m) is on Rangers, and the balance of ?9.6 million allocated variously among the other four group companies.

However, we know that HMRC have claimed ?72M as a creditor of  RFC (2012) plc (IL) with regard to the big tax case in isolation, therefore they must have issued further assessments including interest and penalties totalling approx 100% of the initial sum due.

I would almost 100% guarantee that the above side letter is genuine. I saw that letter several years ago via the RTC blog. The date of the letter 23 November 2000 was the start date ultimately used by the SPL when setting the terms of reference for the LNS Commission, as it was deemed to be the earliest date where there was documentary evidence of the EBT scheme as operated by RFC (the big tax case).

We also know that the SPL originally intended that the start date for their investigations would be 1 July 1998, the date that the SPL came into being. We also know that there were documents in existence from 9 and 16 September 1999 which showed the operation of RFC's DOS scheme (the wee tax case). These documents were never made available for consideration by the LNS commission. It wouldn't be because it would implicate SFA President RC Ogilvie as having knowledge of the operation of the scheme which was deemed similar to the Aberdeen Asset Management scheme and had been declared unlawful by the Court of Session. Would it?

Any future sanctimonious offerings from our football authorities should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Randle P McMurphy

For the benefit of our resident Sevco troll Bryce read the following

Appeal No. UKEATS/0038/13/SM

EMPLOYMENT APPEAL TRIBUNAL

52 MELVILLE STREET, EDINBURGH, EH3 7HF

At the Tribunal

On 12 February 2014 and 13 May 2014

Before

THE HONOURABLE LADY STACEY

(SITTING ALONE)

THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED (FORMERLY

SEVCO SCOTLAND LTD) APPELLANT

PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS ASSOCIATION

SCOTLAND (FIRST RESPONDENT)

R F C 2012 PLC (IN LIQUIDATION) (SECOND RESPONDENT)

Well done Justin, you have a better grasp of the UK tax regime than most!

Correct. It's completely legally different when you're talking about a company making representations to its employees that it has deducted NI and tax and not actually done it, versus setting up an allegedly legal tax-free scheme.

Now, this "same club", if necessary, will of course use the legal argument that it was the oldco that indemnified the players against tax liability in the letter, not them, so that is the players' only recourse. Because they're the same club. But not.

Jambo-Jimbo

Sky sports news reporting that Rangers could win promotion to the Premiership tonight "after their relegation to the third division in Scotland following the breaking of financial rules in 2012"

The re-writing of history is absolutely incredible.

Sky sports news reporting that Rangers could win promotion to the Premiership tonight "after their relegation to the third division in Scotland following the breaking of financial rules in 2012"

It's hard to tell whether it's deliberate misinformation or if people have actually heard so much of Rangers's shite they've forgotten what actually happened.

LIK-WID-AY-SHUN

Cairneyhill Jambo

Sevco upsetting Livingston and Raith.

944319_10154021224381635_622737239306683

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

Sevco upsetting Livingston and Raith.

944319_10154021224381635_622737239306683

Money talks. I also seem to remember they tried this stunt last season with us (?) and had to rearrange the finals days fixtures.

Diadora Van Basten

The BBC when reporting that Rangers had to pay the fine to the SPFL said for the sake of this report the fine was imposed on oldco but is due to be paid by newco as grant of their licence.

The BBC reporting tonight that Rangers will return to the top flight "for the first time since 2012". They didn't need to add the since bit!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Congratulations to Scotland's newest club on getting promoted to the top tier of Scottish football for the first time.

Benny Factor

Congratulations to Scotland's newest club on getting promoted to the top tier of Scottish football for the first time.

At the 2nd time of asking! :)

5live sports presenter will be getting his windaes panned soon.

'4 years after being re-born in the bottom tier'

That said pre 6am it was all about 'after being demoted' which irrespective of your OC/NC views, never happened.

Edited by DETTY29

Hawick Jambo

Sod that. Hope they go back down next season.

Hate everything to do with them and their hate inspiring, bile filled neighbours.

I feel Scottish football has re-entered the dark age again.

Freaky Dancer

Sod that. Hope they go back down next season.

Hate everything to do with them and their hate inspiring, bile filled neighbours.

I feel Scottish football has re-entered the dark age again.

I couldn't agree more, the thought of all the West coast bias that is sure to follow makes me feel sick. Not to mention the number of sevco fans now spouting off that haven't been anywhere near Ibrox in years. Oh joy!

Hearts Heritage

5live sports presenter will be getting his windaes panned soon.

'4 years after being re-born in the bottom tier'

That said pre 6am it was all about 'after being demoted' which irrespective of your OC/NC views, never happened.

5live now being banned from Govan surely.

davidjambo51

BBC Scotland phone in this morning -  eejit of a Celtic fan on saying that Rangers got relegated and Hearts got liquidated  !!! Hearts fan got cut off for insisisting that this " Rangers " was a new Club.

I wonder how many Scottish journalists are searching the Panama Papers for David Murray, Craigie, Chuckles, King etc etc.

I'm going to say none based on the media's acceptance of rewriting history and The Herald caving into the power of the Blue pound

I wonder how many Scottish journalists are searching the Panama Papers for David Murray, Craigie, Chuckles, King etc etc.

I'm going to say none based on the media's acceptance of rewriting history and The Herald caving into the power of the Blue pound

We should be searching the Panama Papers for the names of Scottish journalists!

:)

The way every media outlet have swallowed the SFA / Rangers version of the truth is sickening. 

Diadora Van Basten

We should be searching the Panama Papers for the names of Scottish journalists!

The way every media outlet have swallowed the SFA / Rangers version of the truth is sickening.

Its like watching history being rewritten before your eyes.

BBC Scotland phone in this morning -  eejit of a Celtic fan on saying that Rangers got relegated and Hearts got liquidated  !!! Hearts fan got cut off for insisisting that this " Rangers " was a new Club.

I actually had to stop listening to that this morning. Louise White sounded like she had a sevco season ticket. She wouldn't accept that they are a NEW club. Vomit inducing stuff but that's how it will be played from now on and we all know it.

Diadora Van Basten

From the BBC report:

With the club mired in debt, Rangers entered administration and then liquidation in 2012 under the ownership of Craig Whyte - who has since faced criminal charges over his stewardship at Ibrox - and had to re-enter the Scottish football pyramid in the fourth tier.

At the 2nd time of asking! :)

Very proud that we (and Motherwell) held back the orcs for a year.

panama papers/side letters its all the same, oldco(murray, king, ogilvy, etc) should be facing a court, if it wasn't for the establishment protecting them they would and we wouldn't have to keep repeating newco to heads buried in the sand

Always how much you believe but a guy at works mate won their 5k half time draw at the Dumbarton game.

Asked to accept 2k just now, rest to be paid end April.

Always how much you believe but a guy at works mate won their 5k half time draw at the Dumbarton game.

Asked to accept 2k just now, rest to be paid end April.

He should take it now! There's a history (Well, maybe not much!)

Take the 2 grand and go to the papers with the story. Get paid by the press and guilt sevco into coughing up the 3 grand - lovely jubbly

Take the 2 grand and go to the papers with the story. Get paid by the press and guilt sevco into coughing up the 3 grand - lovely jubbly

This. But he probably would get his windows bricked for disloyalty.

Wonder how the draw is managed... may be covered by legislation that means if they are using the funds inappropriately this needs looked into?

We and every other football supporter outside Sevco know the truth - Rangers are dead and the present team with that name are a new club. We won't let them forget it - even if the media do try.

Jambo-Jimbo

No Scottish paper would touch that story.

Jamborossco

I'm probably like most folk here and getting so annoyed and frustrated about the Media creaming themselves about the Rangers so called "return" to the SPL. not sure if this has been mentioned or discussed, but does anyone know the difference is to what happened to Rangers as to what happened with Airdrie and Gretna?

as far as i know all three clubs died and were reformed as new companies and are now playing at the same stadiums as to where the previous clubs played. if you check Airdrieonians/Airdrie United and Gretna 2008's history, honour's list etc it only goes back to when the new clubs were formed, no mention is made of either club being runners up in the Scottish cup etc 

yet we have Sevco being branded the same team, same history etc. anyone know the difference?

Edited by Jamborossco

I'm probably like most folk here and getting so annoyed and frustrated about the Media creaming themselves about the Rangers so called "return" to the SPL. not sure if this has been mentioned or discussed, but does anyone know the difference is to what happened to Rangers as to what happened with Airdrie and Gretna?

as far as i know all three clubs died and were reformed as new companies and are now playing at the same stadiums as to where the previous clubs played. if you check Airdrieonians/Airdrie United and Gretna 2008's history, honour's list etc it only goes back to when the new clubs were formed, no mention is made of either club being runners up in the Scottish cup etc 

yet we have Sevco being branded the same team, same history etc. anyone know the difference?

Yes. They are The Rangers.

alwaysthereinspirit

I think you already know the answer. Fear, bullying and association complicity.

Gretna 2008 didn't buy Gretna's history. Gretna 2008 are a new club, though not the newest, and accept that.

Airdrieonians went bust, Airdrie United were formed and tried to take their place in the league. This was refused in favour of Gretna.  Airdrie United then  'bought' Clydebank and so technically are a continuation of Clydebank and have Clydebank's history. They were renamed as Airdrieonians later on and it is unclear why they haven't bought Airdrionians' history (or indeed that of anyone more illustrious and bust. Third Lanark, after all, would be an improvement on Clydebank). 

They are a new club and they don't, to my knowledge, try to pretend otherwise.

Sevco 2012 bought the assets of Rangers including their history (quiet at the back) from Duff and Phelps as liquidators of the original Rangers (RIP). At this point, several of their players left, stating that the Rangers they played for had died and it wouldn't be the same (grossly underestimating the impending efforts of the football authorities, the media and Kilmarnock FC).

Sevco 2012 tried to transfer the SPL share owned by Rangers to Sevco 2012, but this was refused and the SPL share transferred to Dundee.

This created a gap in the SFL and, following the Airdrieonians precedent, one might have expected Sevco 2012 to have to bid for a league place against any other interested parties. Instead, every club shuffled up a place, and the space at the bottom was given to Sevco as part of the Five Way Agreement, despite not meeting the entry requirements (i.e. 3 years accounts). During this time, Sevco 2012 fulfilled a fixture against (I think) Brechin in some cup or other. To play this game, Sevco 2012 were given conditional membership and played wearing what were labelled Rangers strips and which included the trademarks purchased from Rangers' liquidators.

Sevco 2012 subsequently renamed themselves Rangers International Football Club or some such (company mind, not the ethereal club :rofl:) and since then, Sevco 2012, the football authorities and the Scottish media have been doing their level best to gloss over, ignore or rewrite the above and would frankly prefer if you didn't think about it.

Rangers are a new club, but saying so is tantamount to treason if your employment is in any way reliant on Scottish football.

All from memory, happy to be corrected on all but one part of it.

The three situations are different and not directly comparable. 

Airdrieonians went bust and I'm not aware of anyone at the time trying too hard to save them, then add in the Clydebank situation etc. 

Gretna again went bust and I'm not aware of anyone trying to save them at the time, the new club are as far as a I know to all intents are a new club rather than a re-incarnation/imitation/zombie of the old club.

alwaysthereinspirit

Gretna 2008 didn't buy Gretna's history. Gretna 2008 are a new club, though not the newest, and accept that.

Airdrieonians went bust, Airdrie United were formed and tried to take their place in the league. This was refused in favour of Gretna.  Airdrie United then  'bought' Clydebank and so technically are a continuation of Clydebank and have Clydebank's history. They were renamed as Airdrieonians later on and it is unclear why they haven't bought Airdrionians' history (or indeed that of anyone more illustrious and bust. Third Lanark, after all, would be an improvement on Clydebank). 

Sevco 2012 bought the assets of Rangers including their history (quiet at the back) from Duff and Phelps as liquidators of the original Rangers (RIP). At this point, several of their players left, stating that the Rangers they played for had died and it wouldn't be the same (grossly underestimating the impending efforts of the football authorities, the media and Kilmarnock FC).

Sevco 2012 tried to transfer the SPL share owned by Rangers to Sevco 2012, but this was refused and the SPL share transferred to Dundee.

This created a gap in the SFL and, following the Airdrieonians precedent, one might have expected Sevco 2012 to have to bid for a league place against any other interested parties. Instead, every club shuffled up a place, and the space at the bottom was given to Sevco as part of the Five Way Agreement, despite not meeting the entry requirements (i.e. 3 years accounts). During this time, Sevco 2012 fulfilled a fixture against (I think) Brechin in some cup or other. To play this game, Sevco 2012 were given conditional membership and played wearing what were labelled Rangers strips and which included the trademarks purchased from Rangers' liquidators.

Sevco 2012 subsequently renamed themselves Rangers International Football Club or some such (company mind, not the ethereal club :rofl:) and since then, Sevco 2012, the football authorities and the Scottish media have been doing their level best to gloss over, ignore or rewrite the above and would frankly prefer if you didn't think about it.

Rangers are a new club, but saying so is tantamount to treason if your employment is in any way reliant on Scottish football.

You made that up didn't you. How could you possibly remember all that and our third rate joke of a footballing association not?

Nice job.

Gretna 2008 didn't buy Gretna's history. Gretna 2008 are a new club, though not the newest, and accept that.

Airdrieonians went bust, Airdrie United were formed and tried to take their place in the league. This was refused in favour of Gretna. Airdrie United then 'bought' Clydebank and so technically are a continuation of Clydebank and have Clydebank's history. They were renamed as Airdrieonians later on and it is unclear why they haven't bought Airdrionians' history (or indeed that of anyone more illustrious and bust. Third Lanark, after all, would be an improvement on Clydebank).

Sevco 2012 bought the assets of Rangers including their history (quiet at the back) from Duff and Phelps as liquidators of the original Rangers (RIP). At this point, several of their players left, stating that the Rangers they played for had died and it wouldn't be the same (grossly underestimating the impending efforts of the football authorities, the media and Kilmarnock FC).

This created a gap in the SFL and, following the Airdrieonians precedent, one might have expected Sevco 2012 to have to bid for a league place against any other interested parties. Instead, every club shuffled up a place, and the space at the bottom was given to Sevco as part of the Five Way Agreement, despite not meeting the entry requirements (i.e. 3 years accounts). During this time, Sevco 2012 fulfilled a fixture against (I think) Brechin in some cup or other. To play this game, Sevco 2012 were given conditional membership and played wearing what were labelled Rangers strips and which included the trademarks purchased from Rangers' liquidators.

Sevco 2012 subsequently renamed themselves Rangers International Football Club or some such (company mind, not the ethereal club :rofl:) and since then, Sevco 2012, the football authorities and the Scottish media have been doing their level best to gloss over, ignore or rewrite the above and would frankly prefer if you didn't think about it.

:bravo::greatpost::spoton:

Footballfirst

The three situations are different and not directly comparable. 

Airdrieonians went bust and I'm not aware of anyone at the time trying too hard to save them, then add in the Clydebank situation etc. 

Gretna again went bust and I'm not aware of anyone trying to save them at the time, the new club are as far as a I know to all intents are a new club rather than a re-incarnation/imitation/zombie of the old club.

Jim Ballantyne did seek to get "Airdrie Utd" to replace Airdrieonians in the league, but his application was rejected by the SFL in favour of Gretna.  Not to be outdone, Ballantyne bought the financially strapped Clydebank outfit, moved them to Airdrie with the approval of the SFL  and dressed them up in Airdrieonians colours,

Ballantyne himself later became president of the SFL, so was part of the cabal who created the 5-way agreement and allowed Sevco to enter the SFL (he was a Rangers/Sevco supporter in any event). He lost out to Neil Doncaster when the SPL and SFL were merged a couple of seasons ago.

Remember there was talk of Rangers doing a Clydebank and buying St Mirren now seemingly close to a fan ownership buy out.

Not sure whether this was in any way a possibility.

Edited by Mikey1874

Gretna 2008 didn't buy Gretna's history. Gretna 2008 are a new club, though not the newest, and accept that.

Airdrieonians went bust, Airdrie United were formed and tried to take their place in the league. This was refused in favour of Gretna. Airdrie United then 'bought' Clydebank and so technically are a continuation of Clydebank and have Clydebank's history. They were renamed as Airdrieonians later on and it is unclear why they haven't bought Airdrionians' history (or indeed that of anyone more illustrious and bust. Third Lanark, after all, would be an improvement on Clydebank).

Sevco 2012 bought the assets of Rangers including their history (quiet at the back) from Duff and Phelps as liquidators of the original Rangers (RIP). At this point, several of their players left, stating that the Rangers they played for had died and it wouldn't be the same (grossly underestimating the impending efforts of the football authorities, the media and Kilmarnock FC).

This created a gap in the SFL and, following the Airdrieonians precedent, one might have expected Sevco 2012 to have to bid for a league place against any other interested parties. Instead, every club shuffled up a place, and the space at the bottom was given to Sevco as part of the Five Way Agreement, despite not meeting the entry requirements (i.e. 3 years accounts). During this time, Sevco 2012 fulfilled a fixture against (I think) Brechin in some cup or other. To play this game, Sevco 2012 were given conditional membership and played wearing what were labelled Rangers strips and which included the trademarks purchased from Rangers' liquidators.

Sevco 2012 subsequently renamed themselves Rangers International Football Club or some such (company mind, not the ethereal club :rofl:) and since then, Sevco 2012, the football authorities and the Scottish media have been doing their level best to gloss over, ignore or rewrite the above and would frankly prefer if you didn't think about it.

:spoton: Edited by Dannie Boy

Jim Ballantyne did seek to get "Airdrie Utd" to replace Airdrieonians in the league, but his application was rejected by the SFL in favour of Gretna.  Not to be outdone, Ballantyne bought the financially strapped Clydebank outfit, moved them to Airdrie with the approval of the SFL  and dressed them up in Airdrieonians colours,

Ballantyne himself later became president of the SFL, so was part of the cabal who created the 5-way agreement and allowed Sevco to enter the SFL (he was a Rangers/Sevco supporter in any event). He lost out to Neil Doncaster when the SPL and SFL were merged a couple of seasons ago.

Great amendment FF

David Longmuir lost out to Doncaster as both were the respective CEOs/MDs.

Ballantyne would have 'lost' out to Topping.

I think.

Footballfirst

David Longmuir lost out to Doncaster as both were the respective CEOs/MDs.

Ballantyne would have 'lost' out to Topping.

I think.

Your are right. My memory must be failing me trying to recall everyone that has some connection with this saga.

To be fair, there's not many footballing figures who haven't been involved to some extent.

Edited by Footballfirst

Unknown user

Let's not forget Rangers' active role in Airdrie's demise if we're recapping past hypocrisies

• Maple Leaf locked this topic