Formula 1 2012 Superthread

:shitwine:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like everyone is delighted with a Williams win, Doesn't do much for my predictor though!

good late birthday present for frank williams, for another race lotus IMO ruined any chance kimi had of winning by having his second stint on the softs today

Incredible scenes at the track as the Williams garage goes up in smoke. ohmy.gif

2 people airlifted to hospital with burns. :down:

Some reports says it was KERS related.

kingantti1874

What a weird season, merc win then no where, saber challenge the no where, rbr back on top next race in the midfield, Williams midfield then win... Only the macs and lotus showing any kind of consistency and even then not Much... Maybe something to those rumours, conspiracy theories of pirelli sharing out batches of better tyres at every race or having trouble manufacturing equal sets... Finding it hard to believe performance fluctuating so much

What a weird season, merc win then no where, saber challenge the no where, rbr back on top next race in the midfield, Williams midfield then win... Only the macs and lotus showing any kind of consistency and even then not Much... Maybe something to those rumours, conspiracy theories of pirelli sharing out batches of better tyres at every race or having trouble manufacturing equal sets... Finding it hard to believe performance fluctuating so much

I've heard the rumours. We'll see where Williams are at the next race. :thumbsup:

If the rumours are true I'll be having a bet on Force India and particularly di Resta for Canada. :thumbsup:

Bert Le Clos

I've heard the rumours. We'll see where Williams are at the next race. :thumbsup:

If the rumours are true I'll be having a bet on Force India and particularly di Resta for Canada. :thumbsup:

What rumours? :blink:

Do tell.

My Left Nut

Incredible scenes at the track as the Williams garage goes up in smoke. ohmy.gif

upwillab.jpg

Aszr2tFCIAA7sij.jpg

senna+fire.jpeg

kingantti1874

Do tell.

Theory that pirelli have supersets of tires which is allowing the dramatic swings in for this season or are having trouble manufacturing consistent sets.. Lots of people failing to understand why performance is fluctuating massively.. You have to say, entertaining as it is, its all a little bit strange.

rossthejambo

Theory that pirelli have supersets of tires which is allowing the dramatic swings in for this season or are having trouble manufacturing consistent sets.. Lots of people failing to understand why performance is fluctuating massively.. You have to say, entertaining as it is, its all a little bit strange.

Sounds a bit too much like conspiracy nonsense to me tbh.

Red Bull haven't made a good enough car, it's as simple as that.

Mercedes car doesn't look after the tyres all that well, that's been pretty evident from the start of the season. Schumacher's playing the blame game because he's had a disastrous start IMO, that crash yesterday was entirely his fault. I think he's totally lost it now, he won't win again.

Ferrari's were shit at the start and have since got a bit better due to the upgrades, and the great driving of Alonso.

Williams have the performance there, they had it in Australia when Maldonado was on his way to some good points before crashing out and Senna's had a couple of good drives as well. They've improved significantly due to the upgrades.

McLaren, if they'd stop making such basic technical errors with pit stops and the like, they'd be storming this World Championship IMO.

Lotus, like you say, they seem to have the better car but their strategies IMO are costing them, they'll be on the podium the most IMO.

Sauber are always going to be a bit erratic, like Williams in a way, they're a mid table team who may not have the strategies/set-ups right some times and their car just won't be suitable for certain tracks.

In short, there are easy ways to explain away the topsy turvy season and I don't think there's any need to buy into conspiracies about tyres.

kingantti1874

Didn't say I bought into it but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery... Teams are fluctuating between dominant and midfield race to race... That is very odd and has never really been the case before.. As I said in previous posts the tyre lottery is making for interesting viewing but I'd rather teams were being rewarded for the best engineering / driver combination.. It's all a little fake IMO

rossthejambo

I don't think it is fake tbh, the constructors know what tyres they're getting and should be building strategys and car set-ups to work with these tyres.

McLaren and Lotus seem to be managing reasonably fine, it's up to the rest of them to fix their car to be more efficient with the tyres.

kingantti1874

Only problem is Ross, none of the teams appear to be able to predict or understand what they need to do to hit the sweetspot on a consistent basis. It's luck more than design for all teams... Mac and lotus have done better than most though I'd agrer

Finally seen the race - a fantastic result in what has been an incredible start to the season.

As good as his qualifying session was, I never thought Maldonado would transfer that to the race. His 2nd pit stop was the key to victory, but he still did very well to hold off Fernando.

I wish I had joined this predictor league :( Mind you, most of these races have been completely unpredictable :lol: a new team make it to the podium each race.

Do tell.

Kingantti has basic summed it up. :thumbsup:

The fluctuations between midfield and winning is looking dodgy.

If its true then Force India for Canada.

I doubt it though. I just think Pirelli can't make 2 sets of tyres the same.

kingantti1874

Interesting quotes from horner on BBC saying better aero no longer equals optimum performance. Great for the. Neutral... Personally would rather they put some Bridgestone on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18067284

Looks like Massa will be on his way soon.

It's a great shame - while the last few years have been poor, Felipe was a tremendous driver. Three incidents totally messed him up though:

- losing the title in 2008. He was just 2 corners from winning the title until Glock's tyres packed in. He took 'defeat' (he won the race) in good grace, but it must have been soul-destroying.

- after being stuck in a terrible and uncompetitive Ferrari in 2009, he gets a serious injury after a freak accident involving a spring off of Barrichello's Brawn. That can only affect him mentally, as well as causing him to miss the res of the year.

- he looked decent in 2010, and then came the German GP. The words "Fernando is faster than you" spelled it out - Alonso was Ferrari's priority. After having that race stolen from him, he's never come close to winning, and didn't get on the podium in 2011.

I'd be confident that he'd get a drive next season, be it with a team like Toro Rosso, or something. Who next for Ferrari? If he's healed, Kubica might be worth a pop. Can't be any worse than the infamous run of Luca Badoer.

kingantti1874

Massa won't get a drive I don't think.. Plenty of good young drivers out there looking for a seat and even. In competitive ferraris massage hasn't delivered... I actually don't like the guy he's a mobile chicane in a fast car and seems to be selective in terms of who he fights and who he doesn't

rossthejambo

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/18067284

Looks like Massa will be on his way soon.

It's a great shame - while the last few years have been poor, Felipe was a tremendous driver. Three incidents totally messed him up though:

- losing the title in 2008. He was just 2 corners from winning the title until Glock's tyres packed in. He took 'defeat' (he won the race) in good grace, but it must have been soul-destroying.

- after being stuck in a terrible and uncompetitive Ferrari in 2009, he gets a serious injury after a freak accident involving a spring off of Barrichello's Brawn. That can only affect him mentally, as well as causing him to miss the res of the year.

- he looked decent in 2010, and then came the German GP. The words "Fernando is faster than you" spelled it out - Alonso was Ferrari's priority. After having that race stolen from him, he's never come close to winning, and didn't get on the podium in 2011.

I'd be confident that he'd get a drive next season, be it with a team like Toro Rosso, or something. Who next for Ferrari? If he's healed, Kubica might be worth a pop. Can't be any worse than the infamous run of Luca Badoer.

Been on the cards for a while, agree with your summary of the last few years of his career, it certainly hasn't helped that he's having to fight a pretty poor car just now either.

As for next year, Kubica was my original shout but I wouldn't be overly surprised if Perez got the call.

• 2 weeks later...

Any on else getting the message

"Save Error"

"Sorry, your predictions could not be saved at this time" blink.gif

Guess no predictions for me this week down.gif

(not that it really matters laugh.gif)

Any on else getting the message

"Save Error"

"Sorry, your predictions could not be saved at this time" blink.gif

Guess no predictions for me this week down.gif

(not that it really matters laugh.gif)

Yep. I normally precict (stupidly) early in the week, maybe the traffic is too much for the web site this late?

Yep. I normally precict (stupidly) early in the week, maybe the traffic is too much for the web site this late?

Even though i keep getting the error message there is a chance it may have saved. I have closed down the window and restarted from the home page and when i go to "predictions" the selections i tried to make were still showing. Not sure if this is to do with cookies recalling the data that was on screen or if the website has accepted them. blink.gif

Did you see Schumi's blocking of Hamilton.... Schumi has lost the plot.

Th one from Barcelona? Really poor show from Schumi.

Even if Hamilton blocked him earlier (and if he did, I'd be convinced it was unintentional), it was just downright bad sportsmanship from Michael.

That act in Barcelona costs Schumacher pole position :lol:

Webber moves on to pole as a result.

Backing Raikkonen for pole and podium finish :vrface:

The latter might still happen - Monaco is a funny race. Let's not forget 1996...

rossthejambo

The latter might still happen - Monaco is a funny race. Let's not forget 1996...

Possible, but the way he's been performing so far, I'd be very surprised. Safe money will be on Webber/Hamilton IMO.

Very lucky.

Rumours are Vettel going to Ferrari.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7780998/

I would be stunned if that happened - Ferrari have had a poor car this year. Unless they're offering a lot of money. I'm sure Fernando would be livid as well - we saw in 2007 how much he appreciates having a competitive partner.

Could this open an opportunity for Hamilton to leave McLaren for Red Bull?

Ferrari have upped their game recently and I think it is 99% certain that Massa will leave.

Massa will be away. No chance of a new contract imo.

Could be massive changes if true. :thumbsup:

Ferrari. Alonso + Vettel.

Red Bull. Hamilton + Webber.

McLaren. Button + di Resta/Perez

Mercedes. Rosberg + Perez/di Resta

Lotus. Kimi + Grosjean.

Prince Buaben

Schumacher hit Grosjean at the start

Bad start from JB

Schumacher hit Grosjean at the start

Bad start from JB

Grosjean squeezed Schumi into the barrier (not intentionally) and came off worse - Maldonado and Pedro De La Rosa are out after the first lap as well.

Safety Car out already.

Prince Buaben

Grosjean squeezed Schumi into the barrier (not intentionally) and came off worse - Maldonado and Pedro De La Rosa are out after the first lap as well.

Safety Car out already.

Looked like Grosjean touched the Fearri before squeezing Schumi.

rossthejambo

Massa will be away. No chance of a new contract imo.

Could be massive changes if true. :thumbsup:

Ferrari. Alonso + Vettel.

Red Bull. Hamilton + Webber.

McLaren. Button + di Resta/Perez

Mercedes. Rosberg + Perez/di Resta

Lotus. Kimi + Grosjean.

I can't see Vettel leaving Red Bull anytime soon. Still think Ferrari will be waiting on the prognosis of Kubica before deciding on Massa's replacement.

Bit gutted there's been no rain tbh, could have done with a bit more excitement.

Archived