Riotwatch

Italian Lambretta

The Comedian

Some parts of England are like foreign countries.

You just noticed ??? <_<

No.

Cheers Swavkav. Lad.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Breakin' Rocks

I didn't realise it had a "all rights reserved" label on it preventing me from humming it over the weekend due to me not being in some godawful midlands hell-hole.

Matter of fact, I understood it to apply to the wider urban decay under Thatcher's Britain; the rise of unemployment and the closure of manufacturing capacity around the country - including Coventry. Thinking through the lyrics ("government leaving the youth on the shelf"; "no work to be found in this country"), it's definitely got more to do with that than racial tension.

Loads of relevance to the current situation, I'd say.

Next you'll be telling me that it's not physically possible to paint the whole world with a rainbow and that this is simply a literal contruct devised to convey an image that it is possible, through kindness and generosity, to share one's emotional well-being with others who share our planet. Well I'm not going to listen - I'm getting that rainbow paint at the weekend and then you'll see.

Eh London was booming during the Thatcher days of the eighties and the policy was to hell with the rest of the country. Having met members of the specials they are very proud of Coventry.

Carl Fredrickson

Thieving and looting across the country.

London calls it 'an abomination', Birmingham calls it 'a disgrace', Liverpool calls it 'a Monday'... :ninja:

Nicholas Brody

article-2023667-0D59940300000578-97_634x604.jpg

article-2023667-0D54428F00000578-371_634x797.jpg

article-2023667-0D59913D00000578-281_306x423.jpg

Those pesky bankers and Tories robbed these innocent souls of an education :(

Dagger Is Back

This is just wanton vandalism.

I wonder why these things happen in London and now Birmingham apparently. We have severely deprived areas up here, we have huge unemployment, we have whole areas whose traditional industries have sunk so why not here?

What makes London and Birmingham different? What do they have that we don't?

Just don't get it.

Sheriff Fatman

Thieving and looting across the country.

London calls it 'an abomination', Birmingham calls it 'a disgrace', Liverpool calls it 'a Monday'... :ninja:

I loved the footage from Birmingham. In London they looted computer shops and electronics shops, in Birmingham they looted a sandwich shop. Some dumb numpties in Birmingham.

davemclaren

Croydon on fire. Time for them to stop pussy footing about and get heavy handed on these criminals/opportunists. This has fk all to do with any protest.

Jail every last one of them and punish there families by making them pay for the damage.

:blink:

with what appeared to be genuine angst the bloke on the one show shook his head while declaring 'i saw a youth hitting a bus with a plank'

:blink:

Isaac Clarke

This is just wanton vandalism.

I wonder why these things happen in London and now Birmingham apparently. We have severely deprived areas up here, we have huge unemployment, we have whole areas whose traditional industries have sunk so why not here?

What makes London and Birmingham different? What do they have that we don't?

Just don't get it.

They've got a lot more violent crime and being big cities have a larger inner city youth problem. It's probably the same in most big western cities.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I think you may be a little 'underinformed'. People are being assaulted and robbed, pulled out of their cars, knocked off motorbikes etc.

i apologise, my understanding was that there was looting etc but not widespread assault, homes burning etc.

My point about the disenfranchised still stands though. If people felt like they had opportunities etc then they wouldn't be so quick to be so destructive.

And as for turning on a news channel as another poster suggested, i did, and apparently the financial meltdown here takes precedence over London riots.

I P Knightley

Eh London was booming during the Thatcher days of the eighties and the policy was to hell with the rest of the country. Having met members of the specials they are very proud of Coventry.

Deary me. The song was not about London; nor was it about Coventry. It was about the wider impact that Thatcher's policies had had on society within UK. An impact which, months after the song had been written, led to rioting in places around the UK including Brixton, London. Is it really that hard to close your eyes and imagine how the current economic climate, UK-wide, mirrors in many ways the situation back then without nit-picking about the exact details. You may as well be arguing that the song's not relevant because Thatcher's no longer PM...

A decent read about it here. Seems to have been inspired by Liverpool and, more prominently, Glasgow.

Name drop noted. Well done you. And well done the Specials (that you've met) for being proud of Coventry. If you've ever been, you might form a different impression - maybe exaggerated by "hell-hole" but unlikely to be wholly positive.

Sheriff Fatman

i apologise, my understanding was that there was looting etc but not widespread assault, homes burning etc.

My point about the disenfranchised still stands though. If people felt like they had opportunities etc then they wouldn't be so quick to be so destructive.

And as for turning on a news channel as another poster suggested, i did, and apparently the financial meltdown here takes precedence over London riots.

Aye cos all the really disenfranchised of the world (not the lazy idiots in the UK who complain about having nothing to do and being oh so poor, usually via their iPhones and Blackberries) are rioting on the streets.

The financial meltdown does as it's consequences will effect more people and be more widely felt.

Nicholas Brody
Back to Mark White who is now in Croydon. In the area he is in, there are no police but two cars on fire, a betting shop smashed in, youths running into it and ransacking it. "It is completely lawless in this part of Croydon tonight," he says.

The police have no control at all.

Then while I appreciate your opinion is as valid as anyone else's you may want to consider what you are typing bearing in mind the pictures and stories that are being shown here just a suggestion

feel free to ignore it.

There is some unbelievable footage at the moment of burning property and houses and I see that Birmingham city centre is being shut down.

I think the ony way forward is to have a curfew tomorrow evening, stayed up watching events unfold and its trully horrific.

Other option is to block twitter until the violence subsides.

ToadKiller Dog

Bloody Ooligans

While watching his recently looted 50inch telly and drinking a looted bottle of whiskey .

Seriously army on the streets ,rubber bullets ,people need to calm down and stay away from the right wing media , The first rubbber bullet that kills and thats a good chance it wont just be angry youth on the street there parents will join them as will trade unions and more than just london and birmingham will erupt . Turning the ghettos in london into real warzones is not going to improve things . It may not be political now but go in cack handed and it will become so .

The police need to keep coralling the outbreaks and protecting the innocent as best they can and let it burn out which it will in a day or so .then go after them with cctv pictures etc .

No reason why it could not spread to Scotland if its not allowed to calm down .

Cameron ,Boris and co have looked very arrogant in there handling of this that wont be forgot , I think Boris may just have lost his election next year with his attitude .

Carl Fredrickson

Reading on another website and folk are saying that friends of theirs in the forces are being briefed for action. :unsure:

you're off your chump chief. if it was easy to create opportunities and jobs for whole swathes of the community then it would already be underway. one other thing which may have escaped your notice is that the world is in the bottom of a deep and widespread slump.

like it or not, the government is committed to a sustained programme of cuts in every conceivable area of public spending, and the private sector is also severely depressed.

it's a mind-numbingly stupid way to approach such a subject to mindlessly blurt out that more should be done to re-enfranchise the supposedly disenfranchised in order to get them to stop destroying large areas of our society.

mindless violence like this isn't a direct result of the rioters having no jobs. it's a direct result of them being criminals and thugs. what you put forward is just a pathetic excuse. it's not a valid explanation.

you're off your chump chief. if it was easy to create opportunities and jobs for whole swathes of the community then it would already be underway. one other thing which may have escaped your notice is that the world is in the bottom of a deep and widespread slump.

like it or not, the government is committed to a sustained programme of cuts in every conceivable area of public spending, and the private sector is also severely depressed

it's a mind-numbingly stupid way to approach such a subject to mindlessly blurt out that

more should be done to re-enfranchise the supposedly disenfranchised in order to get them to stop destroying large areas of our society.

mindless violence like this isn't a direct result of the rioters having no jobs. it's a direct

result of them being criminals and thugs. what you put forward is just a pathetic excuse. it's not a valid explanation.

Completely agree.

While watching his recently looted 50inch telly and drinking a looted bottle of whiskey .

Seriously army on the streets ,rubber bullets ,people need to calm down and stay away from the right wing media , The first rubbber bullet that kills and thats a good chance it wont just be angry youth on the street there parents will join them as will trade unions and more than just london and birmingham will erupt . Turning the ghettos in london into real warzones is not going to improve things . It may not be political now but go in cack handed and it will become so .

The police need to keep coralling the outbreaks and protecting the innocent as best they can and let it burn out which it will in a day or so .then go after them with cctv pictures etc .

No reason why it could not spread to Scotland if its not allowed to calm down .

Cameron ,Boris and co have looked very arrogant in there handling of this that wont be forgot , I think Boris may just have lost his election next year with his attitude .

Seriously don't think I have read a bigger load of left wing nonsense in all my life. And there has been some tripe on Kickback over the years.

Be a different story if it were your house they were burning down, or the shop you had built up over many years. Water cannons at the very least imo.

Did anyone see the footage of the Ladbrokes store? Shocking...

They were only offering 10/1 on Hibs winning the Scottish Cup... :whistling:

The Mighty Thor
<br /><br />

<br />

<br />

Deary me. The song was not about London; nor was it about Coventry. It was about the wider impact that Thatcher's policies had had on society within UK. An impact which, months after the song had been written, led to rioting in places around the UK <b><u>including Brixton, London</u></b>. Is it <i>really</i> that hard to close your eyes and imagine how the current economic climate, UK-wide, mirrors in many ways the situation back then without nit-picking about the exact details. You may as well be arguing that the song's not relevant because Thatcher's no longer PM...<br />

<br />

A decent <a href='http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2002/mar/08/artsfeatures.popandrock' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>read about it here</a>. Seems to have been inspired by Liverpool and, more prominently, Glasgow. <br />

<br />

Name drop noted. Well done you. And well done the Specials (that you've met) for being proud of Coventry. If you've ever been, you might form a different impression - maybe exaggerated by "hell-hole" but unlikely to be wholly positive.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

The parallels with that time are striking. A government pursuing a fiscal policy which at it's core damages the fabric of community and society against a backdrop of a severe recession.

This kind of thing was fairly inevitable.

Breakin' Rocks

Deary me. The song was not about London; nor was it about Coventry. It was about the wider impact that Thatcher's policies had had on society within UK. An impact which, months after the song had been written, led to rioting in places around the UK including Brixton, London. Is it really that hard to close your eyes and imagine how the current economic climate, UK-wide, mirrors in many ways the situation back then without nit-picking about the exact details. You may as well be arguing that the song's not relevant because Thatcher's no longer PM...

A decent read about it here. Seems to have been inspired by Liverpool and, more prominently, Glasgow.

Name drop noted. Well done you. And well done the Specials (that you've met) for being proud of Coventry. If you've ever been, you might form a different impression - maybe exaggerated by "hell-hole" but unlikely to be wholly positive.

The song was written about Coventry city centre becoming a ghost town due to the death of the car industry and the problems between black and white youth at that time. Completely different circumstances this time most of those rioting never had and never will have jobs to lose. As for current economic climate completely different now to these times. Canna think of millions being put on the dole due to loss of the heavy/manufacturing industries being shut down, they no longer exist. Unemployment has not risen to any great degree in recent times.

Private Hudson

The fightback is on. Large gangs of Asian youths scaring of 'rioters' from Green Street in East London.

Will be interesting to see how people react to this tomorrow. These idiots will be far outnumbered if the 'ordinary' man decides to arm up. blink.gifwoot.gif

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Social media's a game-changer. Passionate speech on riot-torn streets of Hackney to lauded woman with hundreds of thousands of views within minutes.

Isaac Clarke

The fightback is on. Large gangs of Asian youths scaring of 'rioters' from Green Street in East London. [/img]

That's all the police need! Where did you hear that?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Calling for the army to come out? :facepalm:

Saying this is all about race? :facepalm:

Good job I'm about to sit down at my desk. This thread is heading rapidly downhill.

Private Hudson

That's all the police need! Where did you hear that?

On Twitter. Dalston area of Hackney now clearing due to Turks and Asians arriving on scene to defend their property.

Bloody immigrants coming here and dispensing justice we don't have the balls to do ourselves, eh? ninja.gif

Breakin' Rocks

<br /><br /><br />

The parallels with that time are striking. A government pursuing a fiscal policy which at it's core damages the fabric of community and society against a backdrop of a severe recession.

This kind of thing was fairly inevitable.

Not true industries were being shut down en mass during Thatchers purges of the eighties whereas our main one Finance has basically been nationalised by the Government. Don't think this would have happened under Thatcher.

I have no time for the Conservatives but how in the world are their policies destroying the fabric of communities within 12 months of being in government ?

Not true industries were being shut down en mass during Thatchers purges of the eighties whereas our main one Finance has basically been nationalised by the Government. Don't think this would have happened under Thatcher.

I have no time for the Conservatives but how in the world are their policies destroying the fabric of communities within 12 months of being in government ?

Of course there not. But some "lefties" like to blame everything on the Tories. No mention of the damage all those years of Labour government did to the fabric of our society.

its just got mental, its spreading everywhere. its coming through on twitter that the police are out protecting my local curry's/pc world and halfords. some streets closed off by police that i walked by just a few hours ago. probably be a sleepless night tonight because of police choppers.

no worries though, if asian gangs are fighting protesters elsewhere my flat will be protected by my local bengali gangs

ToadKiller Dog

"Things got out of hand & we?d had a few drinks. We smashed the place up and Boris set fire to the toilets.?

David Cameron recalls his time at Oxford, speaking in 1986

Carl Fredrickson

its just got mental, its spreading everywhere. its coming through on twitter that the police are out protecting my local curry's/pc world and halfords. some streets closed off by police that i walked by just a few hours ago. probably be a sleepless night tonight because of police choppers.

no worries though, if asian gangs are fighting protesters elsewhere my flat will be protected by my local bengali gangs

Keep safe man :thumbsup:

Archived