Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Snake Plissken

I lifted yesterday morning, the place was mobbed :lol:

Had an enormous cooked breakfast afterwards, **** "clean" eating.

:jjyay:

Trained yesterday after two days off.

Place was dead.

January though....... Dreading it.

I'm hoping Granton eases the influx at OT.

Creepy Lurker

Pure Gorgie was surprisingly busy on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

The good thing with Stirling Uni gym is that even when the New Year's Resolutioners come in it's still less busy than term time.

Pure Gorgie was surprisingly busy on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

The good thing with Stirling Uni gym is that even when the New Year's Resolutioners come in it's still less busy than term time.

I've trained a couple of times at Gorgie recently and it's always been heaving.

It's good they created more space, but another rack or 2 wouldn't go a miss.

I believe Granton got 3.

Creepy Lurker

Was the first time I'd been there since about this time last year, got all excited when I saw what I thought was four squat racks.

Looked a wee bit closer and saw it was two racks (both taken) and two Smith machines. :muggy:

Creepy Lurker

Anyone use weigtlifting shoes like these?

Worth while?

qn0IUuG.jpg

I use those exact ones. Hard to say how much they improved my lifts to be honest, lifts did go up after I got them but they were going up at the time anyway. Feel pretty good though. Would recommend if you've got the money to spare but obviously not a necessity.

I use those exact ones. Hard to say how much they improved my lifts to be honest, lifts did go up after I got them but they were going up at the time anyway. Feel pretty good though. Would recommend if you've got the money to spare but obviously not a necessity.

Cheers.

I read they're handy for folk who don't have good flexibility at the ankles.

I'm as unflexible as they come. :lol:

When I squat, parallel is an effort, stick two wee 2.5kg plates under my heels, it's no issue at all.

Would these remedy that?

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, sounds like it. I'm not sure they helped me that much as I'm pretty flexible anyway (probably through MT I imagine) but obviously it's hard to tell as it's not like you see a massively visible difference as soon as you start using them.

Can't be arsed doing all that shit people do with not wearing their lifting shoes until they're actually on the squat rack and just spending the rest of their session carrying them around with them. Too much hassle. :lol:

Guest C00l K1d

Been telling myself i need to get a gym membership for months and now with work finally going back to normalish hours after the year i think i'm going to get stuck into it.

Looking to build up as much as possible, although i'm not fat i'm still a highly unfit piece of shit so might try do a bit of swimming or something aswell.

Is there any decent places to look for introductory workouts or somewhere that would be able to generate a workout to the gyms specs? I used to go to the gym quite a lot when i was younger and playing football but looking back i was doing it completely wrong, giving every machine a go about 3/4 times, not really regulating anything i done. I know i'll get ''do it yourself you lazy bassa'', but frankly i don't really have a decent knowledge of gym excercises and i'm sure if i start going regularly i'll be able to tailor myself a workout once i ''learn the ropes''

Would be good if any of you roid heeds could point me in the right directions. Cheers

Snake Plissken

Is this the start of the resolutioners descending upon us once more?

My, how time flies.

Morpheous, here are two words to start you off: compound lifts.

While even the most rudimentary gyms will offer a wide array of machines, the best gains are to be had with lifts which incorporate all lot of muscles (compounds). The pound-for-pound champions of the lifting world are squats and deadlifts, you'll also do well to get stuck into the bench press, shoulder press and pull-ups (barbell rows work well too).

The People's Chimp

Trained yesterday before the game and it wasn't too busy, but I'm heading in tonight to see how it's going but not looking forward to a rammed gym in the new year. :muggy:

Edited by The People's Chimp

Just taken a "before" photo which I'll hopefully be able to post this time next year!

Great idea for seeing progress. Best of luck.

The People's Chimp

Overheard a PT at Glasgow pure say "24/7 mate 24/7" in response to a similar question about Christmas Day opening. Not sure if that helps or not. :)

Edited by The People's Chimp

Overheard a PT at Glasgow pure say "24/7 mate 24/7" in response to a similar question about Christmas Day opening. Not sure if that helps or not. :)

Thanks, I'll chance my arm then. Get a headstart on all those whose gyms aren't open :pleasing:

Hai guys! It's January!

Which gym in Edinburgh has the best aerobics class and the best magazine holders on the bikes?

Made it my New Year's resolution to shift some Christmas poundage after (lol) stuffing my face for the last 52 weeks (lol... What am I like).

I want to lose three stone in three weeks. Should I take some supplements? I've just bought my first protein shake.

Creepy Lurker

Sounds like you need to do Crossfit and follow a paleo keto intermittent fasting Herbalife diet.

Snake Plissken

You also have to eat super clean.

Anything with more than 14 calories in it is bad, so just eat soap to be on the safe side.

Snake Plissken

Six days into my cut and I've dropped a kilo.

So easy to drop weight, so difficult to gain it :sob:

At least I never have to cut for long to stay lean.

The People's Chimp

Good luck this evening brothers.

Will need to be like Moses and the Red Sea to get through the waves of Resolutioners.

:muggy:

Gym wasn't too bad tonight! Was quite busy when I started at 8.15 but got quieter.

2nd workout of the year. Don't think I'll feel right until I've done all 3 splits!

The People's Chimp

Couldn't move for new folk at Pure. Looks like they sold out two vending machines worth of padlocks to newcomers. :lol:

Couldn't get a bench or a rack so just did some hiit on the rower and a load of chins, a leg press and fecked off home. That was at about 8.30 btw.

I had to come home for a sleep after a front squat session followed by a long row. Gym is doing a charity thing this month where they want people to ROW A ******* MARATHON, thats 42000m. You get a 2 minute rest every 10000m but it still sounds bloody boring. I'll end up doing it no doubt.

PB on front squats today. 100kg for 1.

Pretty pleased as I've only been doing them 5 weeks and I do them after 10x10 back squats.

I've gone back to virtually zero on squats.

I tend to rock on to my toes and can't get all the way down with proper form. Think it's a combination of never really doing them properly and my ankle sprain last year.

I was advised to put a couple of 2.5kg plates under my heels and I can get all the way down with that. Going to slowly build up the weight and make sure I'm doing full squats.

Creepy Lurker

Sparring tonight didn't go very well. :lol:

Ended up being like 'erm, I've got to go, my train's at five past nine' at 8:40. The train station's a five minute walk away.

Pussy. :facepalm:

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Question for those in the know about Leg Press.

The Leg Press machine at my gym has a max weight of 145kg or 155kg. I have read that even a beginner should be able to press 2.4 x their own bodyweight.

I am 74kg which means I should be able to press something like 175/180kg

Two points, how can anyone leg press 2.4 x BW if machine doesn't have enough weight and.... I am killing myself trying to press 135kg is this normal for a beginner?

Snake Plissken

Not sure where you read that but you're getting way too hung up on a number there.

The right weight is one that's challenging but one you can still perform with proper form, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not hitting the number you think you should be at yet. What you should do is look to gradually increase the weight as your strength increases, if you can bang out three sets of twelve reps* at, say, 120kg one week, then up to to 125kg the next week. If you can't quite make three sets of twelve, then stick at it until you can and then move up.

If you get to the point where you can do multiple sets at the top weight of a machine, then you can scale it back and do reps with one leg. If you've mastered 145kg with two legs, go back to 75/80kg and use one leg.

If you're just starting out, don't get fixated but numbers, concentrate on form and making little increases every time a weight starts to get comfortable. The leg press is a perfectly fine exercise for leg development but you'd do well to look into squats and deadlifts once you feel more comfortable in the gym.

* - the sets and rep range really depends on your goals

Edited by Snake Plissken

Question for those in the know about Leg Press.

The Leg Press machine at my gym has a max weight of 145kg or 155kg. I have read that even a beginner should be able to press 2.4 x their own bodyweight.

I am 74kg which means I should be able to press something like 175/180kg

Two points, how can anyone leg press 2.4 x BW if machine doesn't have enough weight and.... I am killing myself trying to press 135kg is this normal for a beginner?

Squat like a Biatch.

Lunge.

Stiff leg dead.

Leg extensions and leg curls.

Then use that leg press machine at the end for high reps.

You won't get close to maxing the machine then.

There's a boy at Pure who brings a pair of his own plates.

2 x 0.5kg

Surely tae **** the 1.25's are sufficient for a small increment / progressive overload.

Or maybe I'm wrong :lol: