Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

David McCaig

Lauriston is the main one I use. If you're going in early morning you're fine to get your hands on a bench/the free weights. Going in after about 8am/after 4pm when the classes are on and the pre/post work crowd are in, it's utterly dire.

Thanks

Creepy Lurker

Can anyone recommend a shake to have after a football game as I am guessing you may need more than just protein? Thanks

There's no special benefit to a shake at any time beyond it being convenient. Protein and carbs will help recovery, but you don't need to slam them down within a 45 minute anabolic window; in reality the 'window' is more like six hours. Don't worry about absorption rates etc. Basically if you want to recover well then eat a meal high in protein and carbs as soon after football as you become hungry. If the meal contains a lot of fats that's fine too, but obviously if you're eating more calories than you're burning you'll gain weight.

Imo, recovery shakes are a waste of money. If you want to have a shake after training containing more than just protein then blend in oats, honey, peanut butter, fruit, milk etc.

Can anyone recommend a shake to have after a football game as I am guessing you may need more than just protein? Thanks

It depends on your weight and what other exercise you get and what you hope to achieve by taking supplements.

If you are overweight and footie is all you do then you should have nothing - just eat vegetables and maybe a chicken breast or a bit of fish.

If you are not fat then you probably still don't need a lot of protein and a change in your diet would be better than shakes.

Konrad von Carstein

You guys that were talking about 2km on the rowing m/c what was/is your stroke rate? I've recently started using the rower after my treadmill (which is the main element of my gym time) and I try to maintain 28/30 s/m in 500 M bursts (longer if possible) I want to be doing 2000M every time at this stroke rate eventually with no stops!

You guys that were talking about 2km on the rowing m/c what was/is your stroke rate? I've recently started using the rower after my treadmill (which is the main element of my gym time) and I try to maintain 28/30 s/m in 500 M bursts (longer if possible) I want to be doing 2000M every time at this stroke rate eventually with no stops!

The setting I have it on tells you your time per 500m for each stroke. I usually sit around 1.55 or just below then speed up towards the end to try and push under 7.30...

It depends on whether I do it before or after other cardio machines. If I'm going for a PB it needs to be at 1.52/1.53.

There are two ways you can set it up to help you achieve your goal... (Assuming you are using a Concept2 rower).

1. Use the pace boat (type in what speed you want to do 500m in and then try and keep ahead if the boat)...

2. Make sure you can see the predicted finish time on the bottom.

You may need to fiddle with the settings or ask an instructor to get it to how I have it.

I would also suggest trying to complete the distance and then trying to beat your time, rather than going hammer and tongs and giving up half way through. There are times I have to give up 2-300m before the end if I'm on PB pace but not up to beating it that day, but it's far better to do the distance in my experience.

The setting I have it on tells you your time per 500m for each stroke. I usually sit around 1.55 or just below then speed up towards the end to try and push under 7.30...

It depends on whether I do it before or after other cardio machines. If I'm going for a PB it needs to be at 1.52/1.53.

There are two ways you can set it up to help you achieve your goal... (Assuming you are using a Concept2 rower).

1. Use the pace boat (type in what speed you want to do 500m in and then try and keep ahead if the boat)...

2. Make sure you can see the predicted finish time on the bottom.

You may need to fiddle with the settings or ask an instructor to get it to how I have it.

I would also suggest trying to complete the distance and then trying to beat your time, rather than going hammer and tongs and giving up half way through. There are times I have to give up 2-300m before the end if I'm on PB pace but not up to beating it that day, but it's far better to do the distance in my experience.

This, although I tend to sit at around 1:45 then speed up (to 1:30-35 per 500) bit for the last few hundred. If I'm feeling tired then I'll 'rest' at around 1:50 but for no more than 1 minute.

Ideally you want to be doing 285m per minute. I prefer to set a pace boat and then just beat it instead of wondering if I'm going fast enough.

Guest GhostHunter

You know what pees me off the most ?

You go day in day out, each the right stuff, do the right things, but when you look at yourself in the mirrors, you don't see much difference...but you know you're either bigger or leaner...

Does ma nut in.

At that pace you must be down below 6.30 for the 2k Dex... If you are that's mightily impressive...

I'm in a similar boat to you... The first couple of months I saw some big changes, but I've levelled off a bit.

Trying to eat more vegetables and cut down on carbs a bit more...

Cooked a bolognese which was only about 10% meat and 90% veg on Saturday then I went mental and bought loads of veg to roast on Sunday.

Had the bolognese with half the pasta (brown) I'd usually have, more sauce and salad on the side...

Replaced half my spuds with sweet potatoes on Sunday.

Veggies I roasted were: aubergine, courgette, carrot, parsnip and pepper.

You know what pees me off the most ?

You go day in day out, each the right stuff, do the right things, but when you look at yourself in the mirrors, you don't see much difference...but you know you're either bigger or leaner...

Does ma nut in.

Photos are the best way to track progress. Once a month in the same pose, light etc. Hard to tell diferences when you see your body everyday.

Went out for a run yesterday. 2k and I was messed :( Not done anything for over a year now!

I'm out to work at 6.30 and not home until nearly 7 at night. Just don't seem to have the time for anything nowadays. Got a 1 year old and the wife works similar hours so don't feel like doing **** all when I get in. I'm eating healthier at work which is something I suppose.

Not looking for advice just fed up and wanted a moan :lol:

Snake Plissken

You could always do some circuits at home, Beats.

You don't need a lot of time or equipment and it's definitely better than nothing. Just do 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for about 8-10 sets - things like jump squats, burpees, mountain climbers, push-ups etc. I sometimes just cycle between mountain climbers and burpees for my cardio and I'm burst in a matter of minutes.

I'm lucky as my gym is next door to me, it's hard not to go :lol:

The People's Chimp

I see a few people have mentioned weighted dips before. I'll need to try weighted chins/pulls as the :pinilla: off banging out sets of chin ups is ridiculous.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Just sitting here drinking an unflavoured shake with water.

:boak:

I need to add banana and peanut butter to make it nice. Christ this is rough.

(totally didn't mean to order unflavoured shite, either)

Second day of me back to the gym. In some amount of pain, good thing though, I suppose.

Spend all my time either i) at the gym ii) eating iii) sleeping or iv) chewing on loads of chewing gum in some shan attempt to make myself hungry, so I can eat more. :lol:

Edited by Yang Guang

Creepy Lurker

Just sitting here drinking an unflavoured shake with water.

:boak:

I need to add banana and peanut butter to make it nice. Christ this is rough.

(totally didn't mean to order unflavoured shite, either)

Have you tried adding Nesquik?

Generic Username

I see a few people have mentioned weighted dips before. I'll need to try weighted chins/pulls as the :pinilla: off banging out sets of chin ups is ridiculous.

I use the weighted dip machine sometimes but find it quite hard to keep form and my arms end up going out wider at the sides. Do love a good dip though.

The People's Chimp

I use the weighted dip machine sometimes but find it quite hard to keep form and my arms end up going out wider at the sides. Do love a good dip though.

Wasn't meaning the machines, but a dipping belt you can add weights to, to add to your own bodyweight.

Generic Username

Wasn't meaning the machines, but a dipping belt you can add weights to, to add to your own bodyweight.

Sack that for a laugh. If i put weight on round my waist my shins would come through the top of my thighs!

Franklin Delano Bluth

Have you tried adding Nesquik?

I added chocolate powder once, didn't really help.

I'll give Nesquik a go though, just need to power through this bag and make sure I order a flavoured one next time.

I added chocolate powder once, didn't really help.

I'll give Nesquik a go though, just need to power through this bag and make sure I order a flavoured one next time.

If you really don't like it - not much point in forcing yourself. Just use milk which will be cheaper anyway up until you can afford to buy a flavoured one.

Creepy Lurker

I used to do weighted dips but found that I had to stop as I was getting shoulder problems as a result, even with decent form. Good thing to do if they don't give you problems, though.

The People's Chimp

I used to do weighted dips but found that I had to stop as I was getting shoulder problems as a result, even with decent form. Good thing to do if they don't give you problems, though.

I get a pain in my clavicle with dips so unlikely I'll do weighted dips, but keen to try weighted chins/pull ups.

Weighted dips have been out the window for ages now. (Shoulder issues).

Occasionally can't do skull crushers due to pains in my elbow joints.

Two cracking tricep exercises too IMO.

:sob:

Infuriating.

Snake Plissken

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I've been doing weighted dips with no problems for some time now.

35kg added :jjyay:

I like to follow those with a skullcrusher & close-grip press with the EZ bar superset. My triceps are obliterated after that.

Guest GhostHunter

Well, I'm happy...

295lbs on the deltoid fly this morning.

It was the top weight, so couldn't put anymore on :sob:

Not sure if good or not - but it hurts already

Out of interest, roughly how much do you spend on food per week? I'm hoping to go to university next term, so increased costs in food is one thing I'm worried about. I made various diet plans and then totalled up the cost, which came to around ?70 per week. Is that normal as it seems pretty high to me (given it's just for one person)? Thanks.

Creepy Lurker

Out of interest, roughly how much do you spend on food per week? I'm hoping to go to university next term, so increased costs in food is one thing I'm worried about. I made various diet plans and then totalled up the cost, which came to around ?70 per week. Is that normal as it seems pretty high to me (given it's just for one person)? Thanks.

Really depends. Buying your food will be expensive, though. You can save money on protein by buying meat that's on offer/in the reduced section and freezing it until you need it. Carbs are dirt cheap anyway and fats can be taken care of to an extent by buying fattier cuts of meat as well as cheaper eggs, cheese etc. Your food shopping will still be more expensive than average, though. Tinned sardines and mackerel are lifesavers for me, as are Tesco Value baked beans.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Franklin Delano Bluth

Anybody else really struggle with a specific body part limiting them?

If i'm working on my back/chest/shoulders, my arms (specifically my triceps) limit my reps more than anything. I try to solely use whichever part i'm working on obviously, but my arms just can't deal with the weight i'm lifting.

It just means my back/chest/shoulders aren't getting worked as much as they could. I could definitely lift a heavier weight, but my triceps just give up. Really quickly as well. Say 2 sets of 6 reps, and they are gone. A good example is the bench press - I could lift heavier, but my triceps just buckle and give up really quickly.

Should I just do some tricep workouts every day?

It's really annoying because my arms are the smallest part of my upper body, and I would like for them to get bigger. My triceps, as weak as they are, are the most defined and largest muscle in my upper arm. Weird, and really annoying.

Snake Plissken

Anybody else really struggle with a specific body part limiting them?

If i'm working on my back/chest/shoulders, my arms (specifically my triceps) limit my reps more than anything. I try to solely use whichever part i'm working on obviously, but my arms just can't deal with the weight i'm lifting.

It just means my back/chest/shoulders aren't getting worked as much as they could. I could definitely lift a heavier weight, but my triceps just give up. Really quickly as well. Say 2 sets of 6 reps, and they are gone. A good example is the bench press - I could lift heavier, but my triceps just buckle and give up really quickly.

Should I just do some tricep workouts every day?

It's really annoying because my arms are the smallest part of my upper body, and I would like for them to get bigger. My triceps, as weak as they are, are the most defined and largest muscle in my upper arm. Weird, and really annoying.

I wouldn't recommend it, young Pandawan.

If you're capable of doing triceps again after working them the day before, you've not worked them hard enough. Your triceps are the biggest and most defined muscles in your arm because they are supposed to be. Your suggestion that you try to focus "soley" on the muscle you're working suggests you're not too familiar with the concept of secondary muscles in compound exercises.

The bench press isn't just a chest exercise, it also blasts your delts and triceps and it'll tax your core and lats while you keep the bar steady. Your bench press isn't just indicative of the strength of your pectoral muscles but the sum of all the parts you use to do it. Treat your triceps like all the other muscles you work, you wouldn't make many gainzzz if you worked everything every day.

You need to allow your muscles time to adapt and recover from the exertion you put them under, that's what it is after all - a reaction and an adaptation to pressure. If you want to build the strength of your triceps, you should be looking at fewer reps and higher weight. There are plenty of good ones to look at: dips, skullcrushers, extensions, close-grip presses etc. so try doing them after your chest workout.

Extensions are a good starting point, as are close grip presses, so go from there and look to add skullcrushers and/or dips as you progress.

Franklin Delano Bluth

I wouldn't recommend it, young Pandawan.

If you're capable of doing triceps again after working them the day before, you've not worked them hard enough. Your triceps are the biggest and most defined muscles in your arm because they are supposed to be. Your suggestion that you try to focus "soley" on the muscle you're working suggests you're not too familiar with the concept of secondary muscles in compound exercises.

The bench press isn't just a chest exercise, it also blasts your delts and triceps and it'll tax your core and lats while you keep the bar steady. Your bench press isn't just indicative of the strength of your pectoral muscles but the sum of all the parts you use to do it. Treat your triceps like all the other muscles you work, you wouldn't make many gainzzz if you worked everything every day.

You need to allow your muscles time to adapt and recover from the exertion you put them under, that's what it is after all - a reaction and an adaptation to pressure. If you want to build the strength of your triceps, you should be looking at fewer reps and higher weight. There are plenty of good ones to look at: dips, skullcrushers, extensions, close-grip presses etc. so try doing them after your chest workout.

Extensions are a good starting point, as are close grip presses, so go from there and look to add skullcrushers and/or dips as you progress.

Cheers, Snake. :thumbsup:

What would you say, 6-8 reps on high weight, or even less, 4-6? Was doing 8-10 yesterday.

Your form on the bench may mean you are hitting your triceps more. Try a wider grip.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Your form on the bench may mean you are hitting your triceps more. Try a wider grip.

Cheers MSA, appreciate it.

Snake Plissken

Cheers, Snake. :thumbsup:

What would you say, 6-8 reps on high weight, or even less, 4-6? Was doing 8-10 yesterday.

For strength, it's all about high weight and low reps. A short burst of maximum exertion with a longer rest period, hypertrophy (muscle gain) is about putting the muscles under pressure for longer. Below is a basic table to give you an idea:

Table-1.jpg

1RM = One rep max (the maximum amount of weight you can shift in one rep)

Spend a few weeks cranking out low reps and then scale it back to get a few more reps in. Hopefully the increases you'll have made in strength by this point will kick in and allow you to reach the right rep range.

Speaking of injury, got results of my knee MRI scan back today... I have no cartlidge, worn away completely

:cornette:

Anyone experienced this? Can it be fixed?

Really depends. Buying your food will be expensive, though. You can save money on protein by buying meat that's on offer/in the reduced section and freezing it until you need it. Carbs are dirt cheap anyway and fats can be taken care of to an extent by buying fattier cuts of meat as well as cheaper eggs, cheese etc. Your food shopping will still be more expensive than average, though. Tinned sardines and mackerel are lifesavers for me, as are Tesco Value baked beans.

Thanks :thumbsup: . Still a bit weird seeing my total amount being more than can feed some families, but I'll look into it :) (never had mackerel though) .

Speaking of injury, got results of my knee MRI scan back today... I have no cartlidge, worn away completely

:cornette:

Anyone experienced this? Can it be fixed?

standard_wheelchair.jpg

Severely struggling with motivation at the moment, feel like training is getting me no where! Plus a new job which is alot more stressful and a bit less spare time on my hands.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Severely struggling with motivation at the moment, feel like training is getting me no where! Plus a new job which is alot more stressful and a bit less spare time on my hands.

I can tell i'll struggle with motivation in a while. Only 2 weeks in, I went up weights a wee bit this week, which is good. However, I'm a really hard gainer. I need to be eating every single second to put on any weight at all. It's really difficult, and very expensive.

jambo-fletch

Hey guys i've recently got into lifting weights and working out as i want to bulk up and get lean, Im 5'10 and only 11 stone at the minute and pretty skinny, I've started taking protein shakes, normally one a day after training. I was wondering if Creatine would be useful? Don't know much about it and was looking for some info. Also should i still take Shakes on rest days? Cheers :10900:

The People's Chimp

If you skim back through this thread you'll get a lot of excellent info and advice on all of the above.

Edited by The People's Chimp

Hey guys i've recently got into lifting weights and working out as i want to bulk up and get lean, Im 5'10 and only 11 stone at the minute and pretty skinny, I've started taking protein shakes, normally one a day after training. I was wondering if Creatine would be useful? Don't know much about it and was looking for some info. Also should i still take Shakes on rest days? Cheers :10900:

Only on sunny days brah.

I've had the same problem with time and have looked at a few programmes. First one I'd recommend is German volume training or another one would be 5/3/1 with one of its variations. You can be in and out pretty quick with one of those programmes.

Beat my PB for 2km on the rower.

My best recent time was 7.23, best ever was 7.19

Pulled out a 7.17 yesterday.

Also been adding a few kgs to every weight I do and still completing the sets after a few goes.

Struggled in the pool today though!

Franklin Delano Bluth

Creatine is okay, give it a bit of research before jumping in though. It isn't just like another protein shake. I use it, FWIW: once pre-workout, and once post.

Take your protein shakes every day. All they are essentially is another source of protein to up your intake. If you're wanting to get bigger, you might want to get a weight-gainer shake. They pack loads of carbs and calories into servings as well to help you raise your intake. They are very filling, though. I like to take my weight-gainer shakes 3 times a day, once when I get up, once before bed and once post-workout. I try and eat three meals a day on top of that, and at least 30g of protein per meal. It's all about diet if you want to get bigger though. Want to be big, eat big, is what they say.

Snake Plissken

Creatine is okay, give it a bit of research before jumping in though. It isn't just like another protein shake. I use it, FWIW: once pre-workout, and once post.

Take your protein shakes every day. All they are essentially is another source of protein to up your intake. If you're wanting to get bigger, you might want to get a weight-gainer shake. They pack loads of carbs and calories into servings as well to help you raise your intake. They are very filling, though. I like to take my weight-gainer shakes 3 times a day, once when I get up, once before bed and once post-workout. I try and eat three meals a day on top of that, and at least 30g of protein per meal. It's all about diet if you want to get bigger though. Want to be big, eat big, is what they say.

facepalm-gif-56.gif