Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Snake Plissken

I bore witness to the most heinous of gym sins last night, fitness brahs, a fat arsehole was curling the squat rack.

With a 10kg EZ bar.

:vrface:

When I am king, such crimes will be punished with death.

Creepy Lurker

Put off joining the Pleasance gym for ages as I didn't have a job and couldn't afford to be spending more than I was at Pure...got a job, joined and found out Pleasance actually works out cheaper at ?25 for two months student membership. Oh well.

Very impressed with the gym there. Best I'd previously been a member of was Stirling uni (will be going back there in September), but Pleasance is better.

Creepy Lurker

Can I ask you guys about your diet. And what times do you eat at?

I try eat breakfast every morning but when I'm working but I don't always feel up to it.

I have my tea around 6-7 but when I'm off I sometimes don't eat til 1-2.

Basically I'm just wondering does this affect anything when trying to better yourself?

Meal timing doesn't make a difference in terms of body composition but can impact hugely on performance. Try to find something that works for you. It isn't worth stressing over if you feel you're performing okay, but if not you could experiment with timing and frequency (more/less meals at different times).

This might not seem that helpful but anecdotally everyone seems to react differently. I do best on 3-4 large meals a day, roughly evenly spaced out (I eat 4 if bulking or maintaining and only 3 if I'm cutting as I skip breakfast).

Put off joining the Pleasance gym for ages as I didn't have a job and couldn't afford to be spending more than I was at Pure...got a job, joined and found out Pleasance actually works out cheaper at ?25 for two months student membership. Oh well.

Very impressed with the gym there. Best I'd previously been a member of was Stirling uni (will be going back there in September), but Pleasance is better.

Welcome to the Promised Land that is the Pleasance.

Moving to Liverpool at the end of August for a year's Uni and will be sad to leave the Pleasance gym, hoping for something equally as good down there.

Welcome to the Promised Land that is the Pleasance.

Moving to Liverpool at the end of August for a year's Uni and will be sad to leave the Pleasance gym, hoping for something equally as good down there.

Spoilt for gyms down there mate. Will post some later on although will probably be more expensive than the pleasance!

Guest GhostHunter

Out of curiosity - what do gyms like Pleasance etc, offer that Pure doesn't ?

In the main I want to get in and then get out as soon as I've finished my session - given I go pretty early, is there any benefit to me not staying at Pure ?

Slim possibility of me being back at Edinburgh soon, so just wondering whether to stay at Pure and join OT or city centre one, or, go elsewhere....

Creepy Lurker

In the main I want to get in and then get out as soon as I've finished my session - given I go pretty early, is there any benefit to me not staying at Pure ?

Slim possibility of me being back at Edinburgh soon, so just wondering whether to stay at Pure and join OT or city centre one, or, go elsewhere....

Basically just more equipment of a better quality. Might not be an issue for you if you're still going to be training at 4 AM or whenever it is as the gym won't be overcrowded when you're there, but it becomes more important if you're training at a time of day when Pure gets busy.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Guest GhostHunter

Cheers CL - thankfully never had to suffer Pure during peak times - it must be horrific, all that testorone flying about and no fecking machines to use :D

Ivan Drago

Started trying to do some running again but when I do I'm getting a really sharp pain on the inside of my foot - is this probably because of the footwear I'm using? I am using proper running shoes but they're not the most expensive and have seen better days.... I reckon that's all the problem will be but I'm just loath to splash out on another pair only to find out it doesn't solve the problem without getting a second opinion first...

Not done legs in about. 4 months.. Currently on my second excercise and my legs are like jelly! This should be fun

If you find that Pure offers all the machines weights etc that you need then have a look at 'The Gym', same idea @ ?15.99 a month, it's at the old GPO building now called Waverly Gate. Been going there for the last few weeks and even a 6pm when Pure used to be heaving The Gym is still relatively quiet!

The People's Chimp

I see that Pure are about to open another 2 in Glasgow and another 3 in Edinburgh. Hopefully the madness will calm down a bit after that. Will that not be 6 gyms in edinburgh then? Mental.

Stuart McNeill
I see that Pure are about to open another 2 in Glasgow and another 3 in Edinburgh. Hopefully the madness will calm down a bit after that. Will that not be 6 gyms in edinburgh then? Mental.

Do you know the locations of the other 3 in Edinburgh?

Snake Plissken

Ow, ow and ow.

In fact, ow.

Legs?

I find hamstrings and chest give me the longest lasting DOMS.

I couldn't work out chest more than once a week even if I wanted to, not feeling too bad today (chest last night) but I know it's in the post.

Guest GhostHunter

Legs?

I find hamstrings and chest give me the longest lasting DOMS.

I couldn't work out chest more than once a week even if I wanted to, not feeling too bad today (chest last night) but I know it's in the post.

Yep.

Also did a blast on triceps and biceps, alternating each set between the two. Ooph, bloody arms feel like they belong to someone else...

Snake Plissken

There's just something about the soreness of legs, I think it's because there's no escape from them. You can't exactly opt out of walking the next day so you feel that pain every step the following day.

I just stretched in my seat and felt the early work of the DOMS fairy :muggy:

Chest twice a week for me.

Bench first, Incline second.

Second time, Incline first, bench second.

Found it really beneficial. When I only done it once a week I found it impossible to progress at incline (done second) as I was already fatigued.

My heavy set was around 70kg. (After 5 sets bench and 4 sets incline)

Do incline first, my heavy set is 90kg.

Huge difference.

Libertonian_II

Cheers CL - thankfully never had to suffer Pure during peak times - it must be horrific, all that testorone flying about and no fecking machines to use :D

I use Pure at OT over lunch times. Its reasonably quiet so I can get the machines I need in the right order, most days anyway.

I'm underweight for my average age and height so want to gain weight/mass and hopefully in the long term muscle (of course). I'm trying to eat around 3,000 or so calories a day, but I was wondering if would it be better to try to gain weight for a few weeks or months THEN start to go to the gym, or instead to do them both simultaneously?

Edited by peter_hmfc

Snake Plissken

I'm underweight for my average age and height so want to gain weight/mass and hopefully in the long term muscle (of course). I'm trying to eat around 3,000 or so calories a day, but I was wondering if would it be better to try to gain weight for a few weeks or months THEN start to go to the gym, or instead to do them both simultaneously?

:lol:

Of course not.

Unless you want to get fat, then just eat a lot of whatever you want and try not to move too much. You'll gain plenty of weight that way. If you're planning to gain a lot of weight and then convert it to muscle, you're going to be disappointed. When you build muscle, you get an initial bump (noob gains) and then it's a slow, slow grind to add lean mass. A kilo a month is good progress.

Get into a good routine and make good habits early and it'll pay off in time. Get used to the idea that it'll take a while and commit yourself to a year's worth of effort to see real results.

:lol:

Of course not.

Unless you want to get fat, then just eat a lot of whatever you want and try not to move too much. You'll gain plenty of weight that way. If you're planning to gain a lot of weight and then convert it to muscle, you're going to be disappointed. When you build muscle, you get an initial bump (noob gains) and then it's a slow, slow grind to add lean mass. A kilo a month is good progress.

Get into a good routine and make good habits early and it'll pay off in time. Get used to the idea that it'll take a while and commit yourself to a year's worth of effort to see real results.

Thanks :) . Also yeah, I see now that might have come across as a bit of a strange question.

As for taking a long time, that's something I've prepared for. I've read progress logs etc, some of which run for about 3 years, but I'm expecting that.

Snake Plissken

Thanks :) . Also yeah, I see now that might have come across as a bit of a strange question.

As for taking a long time, that's something I've prepared for. I've read progress logs etc, some of which run for about 3 years, but I'm expecting that.

Good stuff.

Get into the big compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press and chin-ups from the offset and you'll be set.

Guest GhostHunter

it's a slow, slow grind to add lean mass. A kilo a month is good progress.

Urgh - aint that the truth....

I'm at a point where gaining just 3/4 pounds of lean muscle over a YEAR is how fast I'm progressing.

:(

and then it's a slow, slow grind to add lean mass. A kilo a month is good progress.

A kilo of lean mass a month is very optimistic and certainly wouldn't be slow progress IMO.

Would you say you are gaining at that rate Snake? That's a lot of muscle if so.

Edited by TheOak88

What is your height and weight mate? Are you starting to gain weight at 3000 calories?

Snake Plissken

A kilo of lean mass a month is very optimistic and certainly wouldn't be slow progress IMO.

Would you say you are gaining at that rate Snake? That's a lot of muscle if so.

Indeed, it's outrageously optimistic.

I wish I was making that kind of progress but it's more like half that. I put on 12kg from September to January but about half of that was fat, so I shed all the fat I'd gained and then some (I'm leaner now than when I started). I'm up about 6 kg lean mass in about 10 months. Not exactly rapid progress but pretty solid.

I'm cutting the last 1-2% of fat this summer and then I'll be on a slow, clean bulk for a few months until I reach my upper limit which I'm guessing is about 80kg. If I get even half a kilo a month, I'll be delighted.

Indeed, it's outrageously optimistic.

I wish I was making that kind of progress but it's more like half that. I put on 12kg from September to January but about half of that was fat, so I shed all the fat I'd gained and then some (I'm leaner now than when I started). I'm up about 6 kg lean mass in about 10 months. Not exactly rapid progress but pretty solid.

I'm cutting the last 1-2% of fat this summer and then I'll be on a slow, clean bulk for a few months until I reach my upper limit which I'm guessing is about 80kg. If I get even half a kilo a month, I'll be delighted.

6kg in 10 months is still more than decent progress mate IMO. Even 3-4kg lean is a pretty noticable change to someones physique.

Had my first gym session today.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, but it was a weak effort :down:

Down to 44.02 for 100 lengths (2.5km) and 26.12 for 60 lengths (1.5km) in the pool.

Feeling it today though.

Been doing more swimming since I had a few days off with a virus. Back to the gym on Monday!

Generic Username

If anyone can chuck me a bun on how to get my cardio booted into touch. I've got the lung capacity of a 90 year old and need to get myself relatively "fit" for the new season starting.

Interval training.

On a treadmill or running outside if you're training for Footie.

Edit: Here is a very basic article:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/01/27/kick-your-ass-and-kickstart-your-metabolism-in-20-minutes/

One or two people may have issues with some of the things said in it, but the basics are there.

Edited by BigC

Wish I'd never bothered starting.

Stick to indoors, it can't hurt you :sob:

First gym session in a couple of weeks after doing a bit of swimming.

Body fat last Sept was 33.5%. Last night it was 27.0%.

Aiming to slowly get it down to 20% but if I plateau at just above that I suppose it won't be the end of the world!

So recently on top of football and other stuff I've tried to step up my efforts to loose a bit weight.

I've been jogging to and from work. Roughly at least 8miles each way. Thats 25km a day. Not bad Id say.

One questions for the fitness fanatics, I've been feeling my abs area tight and a bit sore rather than say my legs or anything. Its not painful as such so Im hoping it just means im tensing as I run and its toning up but could i be over doing it?

Not an expert by any means but if it feels like muscle fatigue then it probably is.

Main thing with running is to make sure you also do a bit of core work and stretch those hammies!

Guest GhostHunter

Been thinking for a while that I'm not seeing dem gainz in any shape or form, so went to get measured for a suit yesterday only to find out my chest has gone from 40" to 44" inside 8months.

Chuffed at that, not chuffed cuz none of my shirts fit anymore.

Been thinking for a while that I'm not seeing dem gainz in any shape or form, so went to get measured for a suit yesterday only to find out my chest has gone from 40" to 44" inside 8months.

Chuffed at that, not chuffed cuz none of my shirts fit anymore.

This ^

I went from a 44" chest (pure fat) to a 38" in a matter of just eight months. No work clothes fit me so, the missus throws them all out one night.

Now, working my way back to a 40" (trim atm) chest the right way but I'll be damn right peeved when I build back up a bit more and have to buy all those clothes again.

This ^

I went from a 44" chest (pure fat) to a 38" in a matter of just eight months. No work clothes fit me so, the missus throws them all out one night.

Now, working my way back to a 40" (trim atm) chest the right way but I'll be damn right peeved when I build back up a bit more and have to buy all those clothes again.

I went from 48 to 46 chest and the 46 suits are getting too big as well now (I have a wide frame naturally and from swimming so it's not all man boobage).

Hoping to get to 44"

Always struggle to find a well fitting suit because my arms are so long!

Snake Plissken

Anyone a member at virgin omni?

I was for a couple of years from 09-11.

Pretty decent gym, suited me at the time as I worked in Broughton so I managed to get there during lunch and after work quite easily.

Is anyone doing/done Insanity?

Started it a few days ago and they mention a lot of ?recovery formula? I looked in to the one they advise, but due to living abroad, I?ve not found anywhere I can get it delivered. Do you know if I can just substitute it for another protein supplement or if it?s actually necessary at all?

cheers

Was getting a tattoo done last week and the artist was telling me about the Omni refurb.

Free weights sounds really good now.

Still a rip off IMO.

Unless of course you take advantage of the classes, pool, sauna etc.

All I need / want is a gym.

Edited by Sten Guns