Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Finding motivation hard so have signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon this year with a few fellow teachers.

Better get my ass in gear! :unsure:

Stack the beast is selling it too. Must be a barnet thing.

There is a lot of em on twitter pushing it just now. Think Simbo was one of the first and it's grown arms and legs.

Anyone (apart from Stens) see Craig Beattie on Twitter selling Herbalife? :vrface:

What a clown, eh.

He has a few folk working for him too. Awful.

Guessing your on twitter? I'm sure I follow folk on JKB but no idea who. Haha.

What a clown, eh.

He has a few folk working for him too. Awful.

Guessing your on twitter? I'm sure I follow folk on JKB but no idea who. Haha.

I don't follow you but saw you tweeting re. Beattie and Herbalife and tweeted back. :10900:

Anyone (apart from Stens) see Craig Beattie on Twitter selling Herbalife? :vrface:

Absolutely embarassing. Herbalife is a con. Too many people looking for the magic pill over a bit of hard graft.

Creepy Lurker

You guys are all so angry about Herbalife. Some boy took it and said it worked, so it seems legit to me. I don't actually take Herbalife, but I still take Herbalife.

Creepy, you used to be pretty good on this thread.

Now you just troll the shit out of it?

What's up pal?

If you've nothing decent to say its better just saying nothing? Surely easier than trying to be funny but just appearing like a knob?

Edited by Sten Guns

What's up pal?

If you've nothing decent to say its better just saying nothing? Surely easier than trying to be funny but just appearing like a knob?

He's still in the huff after people tried to defend the Paleo diet, even although he posted a great video which ripped it to bits.

Guest GhostHunter

Here's a theoretical question...but I suppose one for point in the future..

Say you get to a size/weight you're happy with, what's the best way to maintain it, and importantly, not put on any more muscle/bulk ?

Say you get to a size/weight you're happy with, what's the best way to maintain it, and importantly, not put on any more muscle/bulk ?

Find your maintenance calorie intake and stick to it.

Creepy Lurker

What's up pal?

I posted plenty of good stuff on the last page and all the responses did was remind me why I'd stopped bothering. The majority of posters are happier jumping from fad diet to fad diet than they are than trying to actually gain any kind of real understanding, so I don't see why I'd waste my time posting things that it's obvious no-one's reading or taking on board. It's the same reason why I don't bother talking about nutrition to anyone in real life; all they're going to do is nod, agree and then carry on doing what they were doing anyway regardless.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Fair do's.

But now your just wasting find posting troll chat?

So either way, your still wasting time. Whether its constructive help or a wind up?!

Anyone else use the foam roller to work your IT band?

My right side is a bit tight (which was giving me a bit of pain when squatting) so I was advised to use the foam roller.

It's brutal but it does the business.

The People's Chimp

Have we moved on from paleo yet? Just I wondered about stone age life expectancy. Must have been pretty high.

Creepy Lurker

Have we moved on from paleo yet? Just I wondered about stone age life expectancy. Must have been pretty high.

What's your problem with paleo, man? You're in the huff.

As Walrus correctly says, try to identify your calorie requirement and not go above it. Once you've put on some good muscle bulk it's going to take an even greater amount of calories than you already consume to add further size. If something has worked to get you to a certain size/composition you are happy with, then the best way to maintain that is to avoid any drastic increase in calories consumed (or decrease for that matter).

As Creepy and others point out, there's no right or wrong method to nutrition, and of all the many variables (training frequency, type etc) nutrition is by far the most individualised. What works for me will almost certainly differ from others on the thread and vice versa. For me it's trial and error and the more experience you gain from your own training and diet then the more you know what will help you gain/lose weight where desired.

Having said that, original yet simplistic point still stands - work out calorie expenditure and avoid any deficit/surplus to maintain the same weight.

What's your problem with paleo, man? You're in the huff.

Learn to let go CL. Everyone else seems to have moved on. Now you're just coming across as slightly childish.

Creepy Lurker

Everyone else seems to have moved on.

Er...try taking a look at the comment to which I was replying.

Er...try taking a look at the comment to which I was replying.

I've found some of the stuff you've posted on here in the past to be great and really useful. Bring that back please.

Snake Plissken

I posted plenty of good stuff on the last page and all the responses did was remind me why I'd stopped bothering. The majority of posters are happier jumping from fad diet to fad diet than they are than trying to actually gain any kind of real understanding, so I don't see why I'd waste my time posting things that it's obvious no-one's reading or taking on board. It's the same reason why I don't bother talking about nutrition to anyone in real life; all they're going to do is nod, agree and then carry on doing what they were doing anyway regardless.

If it's any consolation to you, I used some of the stuff you posted a while ago as a starting point to try to educate myself more and it's been a massive help. I know plenty about training methods but nutrition was always a bit of a black hole in my knowledge and I've only recently addressed that and I can see the results after a few weeks.

The trouble I've found with giving people advice, and this is probably true of anything, is that if you tell them something they don't want to hear, they won't listen. They want to believe diet x is the miracle solution and don't want to hear things which contradict that view. I used to work as a trainer and I soon grew very tired of the people I had to work with. Only about one person in ten showed any real desire to make improvements and progress, the rest just paid lip service to the idea and tried to find the easy way out, failed and then quit.

I feel your pain, Creepy.

Guest GhostHunter

As Walrus correctly says, try to identify your calorie requirement and not go above it. Once you've put on some good muscle bulk it's going to take an even greater amount of calories than you already consume to add further size. If something has worked to get you to a certain size/composition you are happy with, then the best way to maintain that is to avoid any drastic increase in calories consumed (or decrease for that matter).

As Creepy and others point out, there's no right or wrong method to nutrition, and of all the many variables (training frequency, type etc) nutrition is by far the most individualised. What works for me will almost certainly differ from others on the thread and vice versa. For me it's trial and error and the more experience you gain from your own training and diet then the more you know what will help you gain/lose weight where desired.

Having said that, original yet simplistic point still stands - work out calorie expenditure and avoid any deficit/surplus to maintain the same weight.

Thanks Ells (and Walrus and indirectly, Creepy)...

Guest GhostHunter

Only about one person in ten showed any real desire to make improvements and progress, the rest just paid lip service to the idea and tried to find the easy way out, failed and then quit.

I feel your pain, Creepy.

This is pretty much it - I'm now in my ninth month of regular sessions and the first port of call for help has always been in this thread. CL/Sten/Snake/Ells have all helped point me in the right direction - and yes, I may not follow to the letter, but everyone's regime is going to be different, you get out what you put it.

There's aint no miracle pill that's going to instantly give you the desired look, it's all down to hard work and a strong will to get to that place.

Anymore Paleo chat, and I'm putting the word in the sweary filter

:D

I actually enjoy CL's trolls. I've been a fan since the best/worst poster thread about 7 years ago that got about 20 folk a ban.

That's why I said he was in the huff, I didn't want it to stop.

Creepy Lurker

I've found some of the stuff you've posted on here in the past to be great and really useful. Bring that back please.

No.

As for all the other comments, thanks guys. LUVUGUISE <3

Check me getting all hormonal and shit. :laugh: Up your fats bro, oestrogen is OFF DA MUTHAFUKIN SCALE.

Love when the sun finally comes out, always get a renewed boost for your training.

:davebp:

Saying that, it also increases your time sitting in beer gardens.

No.

As for all the other comments, thanks guys. LUVUGUISE <3

Check me getting all hormonal and shit. :laugh: Up your fats bro, oestrogen is OFF DA MUTHAFUKIN SCALE.

In that case I'm getting all paleo on you.

I was about to head to the gym but I've just noticed it's cloudy out. Should I wait until it gets sunny again to maximise my gains? Don't want to waste my time.

Guest GhostHunter

I was about to head to the gym but I've just noticed it's cloudy out. Should I wait until it gets sunny again to maximise my gains? Don't want to waste my time.

It's okay, it's protein cloud.

Go for it.

Creepy Lurker

No point going out when there are clouds around. Wait until the sun's out, make the most of your gym session by getting some vitamin D. No vitamin D and you'll go catabrolic and lose all your gainzzzz.

Creepy Lurker

12 pizzas, bulking!

This is exactly the kind of thing people are referring to when they say 'IIFYM' except that then there are pop tarts.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Generic Username

My hammy went yesterday playing football. Total shanner. Hobbling about like a dafty.

Am I better laying off the gym for a week or two until it starts to sort itself out or can I still go some things while I'm there as long as I'm keeping away from things that'll engage that particular muscle too much?

My hammy went yesterday playing football. Total shanner. Hobbling about like a dafty.

Am I better laying off the gym for a week or two until it starts to sort itself out or can I still go some things while I'm there as long as I'm keeping away from things that'll engage that particular muscle too much?

I would say crack on, just stick to upper body.

Generic Username

I would say crack on, just stick to upper body.

That's what I was thinking but don't want to do myself a mischief. It feels like I'm getting stabbed in the leg when I start to move forward, who knows how brutal it'll be when I try and pick up some weights!

Never pulled my hammy but sounds like it could be painful even for upper body.

Rest for a week and see how it goes imo. No point doing more harm for the sake of a half arsed workout.

You'll be fine for anything you can do seated or lying down (e.g. bench/incline/shoulder press).

In saying that, it's pretty overcast. Wait until it gets sunny for boosted gains.

Edited by Ray Gin

Generic Username

Never pulled my hammy but sounds like it could be painful even for upper body.

Rest for a week and see how it goes imo. No point doing more harm for the sake of a half arsed workout.

It's pretty brutal like, calling time on my illustrious footballing career at the end of the season seems to have been a smart move!

Creepy Lurker

I don't see any reason why an injured hamstring would stop you from training the upper body. Could be a good opportunity to work on any weak points.

Was out last night and a complete stranger came up to tell me he'd seen me in the gym and compliment me on my squat. Bishes be mirin.

Certainly rest legs for a week or 2. With regards to upper body just try a few exercises and see how you feel. If it feels fine carry on.

Dunno about you boys but when I'm benching I push through my heels and I've had cramp in a leg on numerous occasions.......

So aye, as far as training upper bod goes, I do use legs...

Deadlifts, bent over rows, standing barbell press would all be out window too.

Edited by Sten Guns

Dunno about you boys but when I'm benching I push through my heels and I've had cramp in a leg on numerous occasions.......

So aye, as far as training upper bod goes, I do use legs...

Deadlifts, bent over rows, standing barbell press would all be out window too.

Yeah I would agree with that. I guess it depends how bad the strain is. Just comes down to trial and error I think.