Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Been reading this thread for a while and noticed its mostly weights / gym when it comes to fitness. I've started to use DDPYOGA ( cue sniggering at yoga ) been doing it for a week and its so far helped with back problems and I have a lot more energy now. Because of back problems I saw no point in going to a gym. But this ain't like normal yoga there is a lot of physio therapy routines most if not all muscles are getting used and at times it can be quite hard going. I normally do an hour spread over 2 sessions a day sometimes more and as I've said the results and effects are noticeable more energy less pain ( I've now been 3 days off the painkillers to help my back everyday ) it seems a good way to get fitness back even if its yoga.

Creepy Lurker

Right /fit/ brahs, let's talk creatine.

Since the turn of the year, I've put a lot of effort into improving my diet and training. I know that I needed to get the diet sorted before I could even think about supplements so I didn't bother with any. But now I'm at a point where the diet is largely where it should be; it's sustainable and producing decent results.

I'm ready to kick it up a notch and I think creatine is my best option. I'm looking to increase both my strength and my lean mass. So tell me about your experiences with it and what results you saw. Any links to decent articles/research about it will be appreciated too.

Creatine monohydrate is the most researched supplement in history and undoubtedly works. The more expensive ones are pretty much a scam: you're paying more money for something which definitely isn't any more effective and is probably actually less effective. It's not like it's some kind of magic potion or anything, but unless you're one of a relatively small proportion of the population deemed to be a non-responder, you'll definitely see benefits from taking around 5g mono a day (no need to load or cycle it).

Layne Norton explains it pretty well in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6YJw0Pe2E

I think it's about halfway in if you want to skip to the part about creatine. Generally speaking it's a good video anyway, though. The main benefit of creatine is allowing you to use the ATP-PC (adenosine triphosphate-phosphocreatine) energy system for longer than usual, improving performance in short bursts of high intensity activity like lifting weights. You can get creatine from food, but you'd need to eat unrealistically huge amounts of things like beef and pork to consume enough of it to see a benefit.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Right /fit/ brahs, let's talk creatine.

Since the turn of the year, I've put a lot of effort into improving my diet and training. I know that I needed to get the diet sorted before I could even think about supplements so I didn't bother with any. But now I'm at a point where the diet is largely where it should be; it's sustainable and producing decent results.

I'm ready to kick it up a notch and I think creatine is my best option. I'm looking to increase both my strength and my lean mass. So tell me about your experiences with it and what results you saw. Any links to decent articles/research about it will be appreciated too.

First step towards the roids.

The Layne Norton video posted by CL gives all the information you need. Creatine monohydrate is the most effective, value for money form available. Anything else is an unnecessary expense.

The People's Chimp

How does it taste? I've been taking capsules, which are easy enough to swallow, so no hassle, but if the tubs work out cheaper might be worth looking at buying them in, unless it's so rank I'll not use it. :lol:

How does it taste? I've been taking capsules, which are easy enough to swallow, so no hassle, but if the tubs work out cheaper might be worth looking at buying them in, unless it's so rank I'll not use it. :lol:

Flavourless

The People's Chimp

Been reading this thread for a while and noticed its mostly weights / gym when it comes to fitness. I've started to use DDPYOGA ( cue sniggering at yoga ) been doing it for a week and its so far helped with back problems and I have a lot more energy now. Because of back problems I saw no point in going to a gym. But this ain't like normal yoga there is a lot of physio therapy routines most if not all muscles are getting used and at times it can be quite hard going. I normally do an hour spread over 2 sessions a day sometimes more and as I've said the results and effects are noticeable more energy less pain ( I've now been 3 days off the painkillers to help my back everyday ) it seems a good way to get fitness back even if its yoga.

If it works for you then keep it up. Would like to do a bit of yoga for the flexibility etc but will likely never get round to it. But it seems to have worked for Ryan Giggs.

The People's Chimp

Flavourless

Cool. Just looked it up, and it seems when I read it tastes like shit, it was the ethyl ester. Nice one, will buy the powder now.

Flavourless, usually mix mine in with my protein.

Edited by Walrus

If it works for you then keep it up. Would like to do a bit of yoga for the flexibility etc but will likely never get round to it. But it seems to have worked for Ryan Giggs.

the programme I'm on you can do as little or as much as you want. It's used by a lot of nfl players, wrestlers and is being tested by 3 epl clubs. Chris Jericho has been using it to overcome his back problems. Myself I do a half session before work then maybe another 2 at night and so far its worked my back is getting better much to the point I don't rely on painkillers. The flexibility on my back and spine so far is night and day from last week.

the programme I'm on you can do as little or as much as you want. It's used by a lot of nfl players, wrestlers and is being tested by 3 epl clubs. Chris Jericho has been using it to overcome his back problems. Myself I do a half session before work then maybe another 2 at night and so far its worked my back is getting better much to the point I don't rely on painkillers. The flexibility on my back and spine so far is night and day from last week.

Started a beginners course in yoga 8 weeks ago. Tonight is the last of the block. Started it to help with flexibility for martial arts. I've really enjoyed it and come out of it feeling very relaxed. Going to try and stick with it though.

Started a beginners course in yoga 8 weeks ago. Tonight is the last of the block. Started it to help with flexibility for martial arts. I've really enjoyed it and come out of it feeling very relaxed. Going to try and stick with it though.

is it a more traditional yoga your doing?

I have to admit I'm enjoying the programme I'm on only doing a beginners version which you should only be doing three days a week but I feel that I can cope with everyday. I got six different routines to do and I'm on the basic movements and an energy routine right now.

I can imagine it would be good to help with martial arts

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Nah its a Crossfit class. Got a coach who puts all the classes together and he's there for all the classes. I find its worked far better than me going to the gym on my own. Its also decent fun and the folk are decent as well. I know its got a certain reputation as being a bit of a fad, and to a certain extent, when I have gone to other Crossfit gyms, I would agree, but the one I go to is 50/50 men/women and everyone is pretty decent.

I was doing Crossfit for a while also and found it pretty enjoyable and beneficial. Benefits for me were it was easier to find the motivation when you're around others and being forced to do exercises which I wouldn't be on my own. Have since moved elsewhere and all the places round here are too expensive, but I will probably get back into it. Quite enjoy just working on some of the Olympic lifts and stuff like deadlifts, squats etc on my own at the moment.

There was a very small number there who were crossfit 'nuts' and spoke about wods/paleo/rxs etc all the time, but the majority were there just because it was a decent workout that was hard to achieve in a gym on your own.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Some interesting stuff about creatine. I tried it when I first started, one of these mups who thought every supplement, poor workout and a shite diet would make me RIPPED.

So you don't have to use it in cycles? That's what put me off a bit, all the loading instructions and all that pish. Are capsules as good as power? Should you be on a bulk when taking it?

Some interesting stuff about creatine. I tried it when I first started, one of these mups who thought every supplement, poor workout and a shite diet would make me RIPPED.

So you don't have to use it in cycles? That's what put me off a bit, all the loading instructions and all that pish. Are capsules as good as power? Should you be on a bulk when taking it?

No. I too thought it had to be cycled but there is no reason to say that cycling it is essential. That said, cycling it is useful as taking supplementary creatine saturates the muscle at a level massively more than is available endogenously (naturally produced within the body, and as a result the body can down-regulate how much it produces. Layne Norton sums it up well in the video posted previously.

Loading creatine effectively leads to 100% muscle saturation in a far shorter time than a normal daily dosage. Loading traditionally comprises of around 20g/day split into 4 x 5g doses for 7-10 days whereas normal dosage is one 5g serving daily. The latter method will work however muscle saturation may take closer to 14 days to occur. One benefit of the non-loading method is less water retention, so if you're on a "bulk" this may not be as much of an issue. I still consume creatine when cutting to help me through the hard sessions, that's one of the major benefits of creatine. Saying that, i tend not to "bulk" any more as such, the term to me encompasses an image of folks throwing countless calories down their necks with no thought whatsoever and gaining a whack of fat! Calorie and macronutrient adjustment towards muscle gain for me personally is far different from a "bulk", which is often - in my view - an excuse to eat garbage in copious amounts.

is it a more traditional yoga your doing?

I have to admit I'm enjoying the programme I'm on only doing a beginners version which you should only be doing three days a week but I feel that I can cope with everyday. I got six different routines to do and I'm on the basic movements and an energy routine right now.

I can imagine it would be good to help with martial arts

It's ashtanga yoga. Feel like an absolute tool at times and I have been close to copping the giggles on a few occasions. Where do you do it?

It's ashtanga yoga. Feel like an absolute tool at times and I have been close to copping the giggles on a few occasions. Where do you do it?

I do it at home all that is needed is a mat a heart rate monitor the DDPYOGA dvd and plenty of water.It comes with a nutrition plan but im not doing it to lose weight the support team at the website or Facebook get back to you pretty fast with any queries Not a lot of classes for this here yet in Scotland but its massive in the US. Just done a lengthy workout and i feel great.This video explains it alot better than i can

Creepy Lurker

No. I too thought it had to be cycled but there is no reason to say that cycling it is essential. That said, cycling it is useful as taking supplementary creatine saturates the muscle at a level massively more than is available endogenously (naturally produced within the body, and as a result the body can down-regulate how much it produces. Layne Norton sums it up well in the video posted previously.

Loading creatine effectively leads to 100% muscle saturation in a far shorter time than a normal daily dosage. Loading traditionally comprises of around 20g/day split into 4 x 5g doses for 7-10 days whereas normal dosage is one 5g serving daily. The latter method will work however muscle saturation may take closer to 14 days to occur. One benefit of the non-loading method is less water retention, so if you're on a "bulk" this may not be as much of an issue. I still consume creatine when cutting to help me through the hard sessions, that's one of the major benefits of creatine. Saying that, i tend not to "bulk" any more as such, the term to me encompasses an image of folks throwing countless calories down their necks with no thought whatsoever and gaining a whack of fat! Calorie and macronutrient adjustment towards muscle gain for me personally is far different from a "bulk", which is often - in my view - an excuse to eat garbage in copious amounts.

This is an excellent post.

Rock a 10-20% surplus and you can spend the majority of the year bulking. There's a limit to how much muscle you can (naturally) put on over a period of time anyway, so although eating massively over maintenance can be seen as insurance policy which can allow you to be entirely certain you're maximizing muscle gains, the majority of extra weight gain's just going to be fat.

I don't understand why anyone without any intention of being a competitive bodybuilder would allow themselves to ever get to a point where they look fat. Spending the whole year training and dieting to only look good for twelve weeks in summer is weird to me. Obviously you'll put on a bit of fat when bulking, that's unavoidable, but to me going above 15% bodyfat is just lazy.

I do it at home all that is needed is a mat a heart rate monitor the DDPYOGA dvd and plenty of water.It comes with a nutrition plan but im not doing it to lose weight the support team at the website or Facebook get back to you pretty fast with any queries Not a lot of classes for this here yet in Scotland but its massive in the US. Just done a lengthy workout and i feel great.This video explains it alot better than i can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_6DMKyiAXc

Diamond Dallas Page!!

Awesome.

Changing the subject completely, my gym just got Swimtag today.

http://www.swimtag.co.uk/

Freakin' awesome for tracking and improving your swims.

Did a 500m swim in 8.46 (beat my PB by 10 secs) and the data that the website put out split it into time per length, no of strokes per length, est calories burned etc.

Going to be doing a bit more swimming over the next few weeks I think.

Snake Plissken

Splendid info as always, hermanos.

I've ordered some Creatine Monohydrate online for a pretty reasonable price, I intend to go with 5g mixed into some water first thing in the morning.

Got a dead leg at football on Monday, thought it was OKish last night, squatted...horrendous.

Hobbling about today.

Creepy Lurker

I've just been to the doctors and they suspect I might be lactose intolerant and as such have asked me to refrain from dairy (cows milk products) in any shape or form.

Does anyone know if this means you can't take a protien supplements?

I also been running a calorie surplus diet and have relied on dairy produces to do this a bit easier. Anyone got any general advice.

Whey and casein are both derived from milk, so they'll be out of the question. If the problem is lactose you might be okay as the vast majority of the sugars are removed, but if you've been told to eliminate all dairy produce then I'd do that. Dairy intolerances aren't always to do with lactose anyway. You can buy protein supplements that don't contain dairy (soy protein, hemp protein, pea protein, brown rice protein, etc). I'm reliably informed they taste like shit, though.

As far as things to replace dairy goes I'm guessing you want things which are high calorie without being too filling? Nuts, seeds, peanut butter and dried fruit are good choices. Within reason obviously you can eat anything you enjoy.

Creepy Lurker

Thanks I thought that might be the case. Protien isn't exactly the tastiest thing in the world and I take it out of ease after workouts etc. So the thought of moving to something which tastes even worse ain't that appealing.

Yeah I am. I've been pretty much following your advice elsewhere. Eating a variety of stuff but running a calorie surplus to help gain mass. Dairy products were a easy and non filling way to do get calories in ie. adding milk to stuff, cottage cheese, yougart and granola (yes I know I will be able to get some lactose free stuff)

I guess I'm just going to find something else. Nuts and that just don't really do it for me of I'm honest. Though for a bit they're going to have to do.

Yeah, I love dairy myself. Would hate to have to give up cheese! Good luck finding a replacement.

The People's Chimp

**** giving up cheese. Imagine being a vegan, would be utterly shite. Could manage being veggie. but not vegan.

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, as far as dairy goes I reckon I could cut out milk and yoghurt if I had to (wouldn't especially want to, but I could) and similarly could cut out meat products (fish would be harder, but probably manageable).

Cheese, though? Not on your life.

Stuart McNeill

My asthma has caused me major problems lately and just felt if I did go to the gym, I'd find it difficult.

Anyway my body wanrs to go but I'm too lazy.

Stuart McNeill

My asthma has caused me major problems lately and just felt if I did go to the gym, I'd find it difficult.

Anyway my body wanrs to go but I'm too lazy.

The People's Chimp

Could cut cheese over meat easily. I can't remember the last time I went a day without eating meat.

If someone gave me the choice, put like that, would likely say Id sack the cheese, but looking at from the point of view of going veggie versus going vegan, one would be okay, the other would just be totally shite.

Mind you, don't know what I'm talking about, would get zero gains without three chicken breasts a day.

Edited by The People's Chimp

Does anyone do yoga? It's been recommended to me not for fitness but as way to try and alleviate some of the pressure/stress I have to face. Serves me right for getting a mot!!!

:bitgay:

j/k - someone on the previous page does it and seems to have benefited from the experience.

Creepy Lurker

Imagine being in a situation where someone was actually forcing you to give up either cheese or meat, but not both, and you had no other option. Under those circumstances I think boring meals would be the least of your worries.

If someone gave me the choice, put like that, would likely say Id sack the cheese, but looking at from the point of view of going veggie versus going vegan, one would be okay, the other would just be totally shite.

Mind you, don't know what I'm talking about, would get zero gains without three chicken breasts a day.

Veggie versus vegan is as straight forward as asking cake or death.

Cheese versus meat requires some deliberation, but meat wins.

Snake Plissken

The thought of having to go vegetarian or not have cheese ever again is a terrifying one.

I'd sack cheese before meat if I had to.

Long time reader of this thread but had to post due to the scary choices between cheese and meats. Cut it out. Lets not think about dropping either! Haha

Anyway, does anyone use CLA tabs for 'weight control?'

I dropped from 18st to around 12 st 5lbs since the middle of last year using these on and off. I found the isupp meta rip ones to be the best. Expensive though!

Edited by Jambo_Gaz

Needing some bro science after the decent creatine advice.

Is it really worth my while adding Glutamine to my shake?

Are BCAA's worth buying?

Edited by Sten Guns

Are BCAA's worth buying?

If you go back a few pages, there was some discussion about BCAA's (mainly between me and CL). Personally I rate them, and use them year round. Just sip them intra-workout. Obviously they are not essential, but personally I think they are worth while especially if you train high volume and are cutting (training on low calories).

Got a reminder last week of just how bad my fitness is.

Started playing 7 a side with guys from my work. Really struggled to make it through the full hour and my body was aching for about 3-4 days after it.

Saying that though, on Thursday past, I managed a wee bit better. Felt horrible but was managing to push it enough to last the hour. Don't even feel half as bad as I did last week.

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I might last an hour of football without being too knackered.

Absolutely superb chest session yesterday after taking Creepy's advice on board.

I didn't go to failure, or pretty damn close to it, like I normally do. The difference was brilliant.

Usually I will only get 3 reps at 100kg after blasting 70, 80 and 90. But after leaving some in the tank I managed 6 reps. What a difference.

110, which has been my 1RM for too long, managed 2 and also a negative.

Then managed 115kg for 1.

Happy Sten.

Who would have thought doing less reps earlier on would leave you with more energy to perform heavier lifts later.

Who would have thought doing less reps earlier on would leave you with more energy to perform heavier lifts later.

There's always one knob. :lol:

My earlier sets never EVER knackered me to the point I felt I was losing "energy" as you put it.

Nor was I previously doing reps that were pushing me out a comfort zone.

But aye bash on with the over simplification.

What is your definition of "almost failure" if it's not knackering yourself to the point you can't do any more?

Almost failure, by that I mean, if I attempted another rep i'd likely need a spot.

Training slightly differently, I didn't feel any different prior to my "heavy sets". It's not like I felt more energetic.

Genuinely amazed the reps DOUBLED at 100kg by just stopping 1 or 2 sooner on the earlier sets

Yeah I expected to maybe get one more at the 100, but I wasn't expecting 6 instead of 3.

TBH you're not that far off benching double what I can manage so you're clearly doing something right.

I just wanted a quick rustle of these jimmy things that you get now.

Creepy Lurker

Are BCAA's worth buying?

I tend to think that BCAAs are probably only beneficial if you're cutting / training fasted. It's not uncontroversial, though, and plenty of well respected guys are in favour of using them.

Glutamine's a waste of money in my opinion, as any studies I'm aware of have shown it to do nothing for healthy individuals eating adequate protein. Glad my suggestions helped, btw.