Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Guest GhostHunter

I've joined the 'weirdos who train at ridiculous times' club.

Was training at half 12 last night. Bizarre but oddly satisfying knowing folk are in their bed and you are making all KINDS of gains. :lol:

Past midnight GAINZZZ club.

Welcome.

Snake Plissken

The day after leg day...

:muggy:

My squats are coming along nicely though, closing in on double bodyweight :jjyay:

The day after leg day...

:muggy:

My squats are coming along nicely though, closing in on double bodyweight :jjyay:

zebra.jpg

Good job on your lifts.

Had an accident involving a pane of glass and my thumb and wrist so been unable to train for 2 weeks as have had about 30 stitches in. Was back in today but cant do anything requiring weight on my right wrist. Ended up doing

1km run (its 17c outside, was bloody lovely)

50 alternating pistol squats

50 ab mat sit ups

50 alternating pistol squats

1km run

My stomach and legs feel like jelly now. Nice to be back though.

Has anyone done SS or Couch to 5k?

Started it a couple of weeks ago, I'm 37 with no previous running experience or much fitness at all. It's tough but builds up reasonably slowly and I'm enjoying the challenge. You're supposed to do it three times a week but I'm doing it twice a week. After 9 weeks I will be expected to do a 25 minute non-stop run, unimaginable just now but I'll get there.

Generic Username

Got back running and playing football this week after doing the hammy about a month back now. My stamina is brutal at the best of times but it was ridiculous playing football last night. Blowing oot my hoop after 10 minutes.

Was in the gym to do legs today too. It's chronic how much I had to drop the weight by from what I'd been able to do before. A good 20/25kg off from the last time.

:sob:

The People's Chimp

Got back running and playing football this week after doing the hammy about a month back now. My stamina is brutal at the best of times but it was ridiculous playing football last night. Blowing oot my hoop after 10 minutes.

Is that as opposed to the usual 15 minutes?

::troll:::'>

Edited by The People's Chimp

Generic Username

Is that as opposed to the usual 15 minutes?

11 minutes mate. 11 minutes.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Whose been making some massive gainz then?

Going to make a big effort to pile on the weight in the coming months. I'm supposedly an ectomorph, so aiming to consume about 3000-3500 calories a day, 6-8 meals including weight gaining shake. 4 times a week in the gym, plenty of barbell, dumbbell and body weight work.

It's going to be difficult, anybody got some suggestions for healthy fats? I am trying to eat a packet of almonds a day (1300 calories :arry:)

Snake Plissken

Whose been making some massive gainz then?

Going to make a big effort to pile on the weight in the coming months. I'm supposedly an ectomorph, so aiming to consume about 3000-3500 calories a day, 6-8 meals including weight gaining shake. 4 times a week in the gym, plenty of barbell, dumbbell and body weight work.

It's going to be difficult, anybody got some suggestions for healthy fats? I am trying to eat a packet of almonds a day (1300 calories :arry:)

This post will rustle Creepy Lurker's Jimmies so hard.

Creepy Lurker

- Somatotypes don't exist in physiology.

- Caloric requirements are determined by age, gender, weight and activity level.

- Meal frequency is irrelevant outside the context of personal preference.

- Weight gainer shake is a total waste of money. You'd get as much nutritional benefit from having a whey shake with a chocolate bar on the side and it'd taste better too.

- Foods shouldn't be considered healthy or unhealthy outside the context of overall diet. As far as fats go make sure to eat oily fish (or a fish oil supplement if that's prohibitively expensive) and other than that just ensure as varied an intake as possible. The only fats which should be considered 'unhealthy' are artificial trans fats.

MY JIMMIES REMAIN UNRUSTLED.

Snake Plissken

Slight Jimmy rustling detected.

But, as always, Creepy gives rock solid nutritional advice.

If I may tag in, with regards to training, there are only four exercises you need to make sure you're doing:

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench Press

Chin Ups (weighted if possible)

I'm not saying you should only do those four, but the above are the foundation to any successful muscle-building program. Learn to love the Olympic bar and never, ever, ever skip leg day.

If I may tag in, with regards to training, there are only four exercises you need to make sure you're doing:

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench Press

I'm not saying you should only do those four, but the above are the foundation to any successful muscle-building program. Learn to love the Olympic bar and never, ever, ever skip leg day.

It's true brother.

Forget all the bullshit surrounding lifting and focus on this post and you'll see all kindssssssssssssss of gainz.

So many people **** about with 200 isolations per muscle group and end up sick of the gym. Of course the big problem is these are hard moves and people don't fancy them.

Edited by McGlynn Style Advisor

Creepy Lurker

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench Press

Snake's jimmy senses are tingling.

Agree with this post, but would maybe add overhead press and bent over row. Imo, Starting Strength is the perfect routine for novice lifters.

Here's a question regarding chin-up's.

I'm primarily focusing on weight loss for now so I swim and I've upped my cardio in the gym, but I also do weights.

(Unfortunately dead lifts and squats are still out due to ankle injury so I've had to revert to just doing leg extensions and curls).

I'm quite heavy (17st - was 18 a few months ago). So chin up's are a struggle. I'm lucky if I can do one.

I know lat pulldowns are the closest weighted exercise but I have always avoided them.

When I stand in a natural position, my shoulders rotate forward and my head sits slightly forward.

I've asked a multitude of instructors how to improve my posture and they all told me to go heavy on the upper back and skip lat pulldowns because the lats are attached to the front of the shoulder and LP will make that worse, whereas strengthening the upper back will pull the shoulders back tighter.

I would like to be able to do chin up's... But the only real way to do them (other than losing more weight) is to do a bit if weighted work on those muscles...

What are people's thoughts?

Should I go back to LP's (I find I can lift quite a heavy weight on them when I've not been training in them regularly anyway).

Should I try and get the bands you put your knee through?

Franklin Delano Bluth

Snake's jimmy senses are tingling.

Agree with this post, but would maybe add overhead press and bent over row. Imo, Starting Strength is the perfect routine for novice lifters.

Quick google search and Starting Strength is by Mark Rippetoe? One website says his nutritional information is bad. I'd agree with that, 6000 calories and a gallon of milk a day!? Crazy talk.

Thanks for the advice though, Creepy, Snake and MSA! :thumbsup:

Edited by Yang Guang

Snake Plissken

Here's a question regarding chin-up's.

I'm primarily focusing on weight loss for now so I swim and I've upped my cardio in the gym, but I also do weights.

(Unfortunately dead lifts and squats are still out due to ankle injury so I've had to revert to just doing leg extensions and curls).

I'm quite heavy (17st - was 18 a few months ago). So chin up's are a struggle. I'm lucky if I can do one.

I know lat pulldowns are the closest weighted exercise but I have always avoided them.

When I stand in a natural position, my shoulders rotate forward and my head sits slightly forward.

I've asked a multitude of instructors how to improve my posture and they all told me to go heavy on the upper back and skip lat pulldowns because the lats are attached to the front of the shoulder and LP will make that worse, whereas strengthening the upper back will pull the shoulders back tighter.

I would like to be able to do chin up's... But the only real way to do them (other than losing more weight) is to do a bit if weighted work on those muscles...

What are people's thoughts?

Should I go back to LP's (I find I can lift quite a heavy weight on them when I've not been training in them regularly anyway).

Should I try and get the bands you put your knee through?

17st = 107kg, think of the gainzzz you'd make if you'd could do a few chin-ups.

At the moment I'm doing mine with 20kg added and I'm still a few kg under that weight :lol:

If your gym has one of those chin-up assist machines I'd get on that, maybe offset about 20kg, and work your way down from there. Either that or some bent over rows would still work the back pretty well but I'd also recommend working your lower back and core to improve your posture.

Creepy Lurker

Quick google search and Starting Strength is by Mark Rippetoe? One website says his nutritional information is bad. I'd agree with that, 6000 calories and a gallon of milk a day!? Crazy talk.

Thanks for the advice though, Creepy, Snake and MSA! :thumbsup:

His nutrition information is terrible. Starting Strength isn't a piece of nutrition advice.

Sten Guns

190kg deadlift PB today.

I can smell the big 200 this summer.

(I weigh 80kg)

PaulHartley10

Looking for some ideas for repetitive healthy meals. I'm needing something easy to make and healthy that I can pack up and take to my work every day.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to have to get fit in the next few months and wouldn't mind giving this lifting/diet culture that seems rife a try. I'm pretty badly overweight at the moment - should I lose weight first, then think about putting on a bit of muscle?

Guest GhostHunter

190kg deadlift PB today.

I can smell the big 200 this summer.

(I weigh 80kg)

Congrats Sten. Awesome dead weight...

I can only dream about getting that - I've plateau'd, but I think it's more mental than anything else.

Sten Guns

Congrats Sten. Awesome dead weight...

I can only dream about getting that - I've plateau'd, but I think it's more mental than anything else.

Cheers, Dex.

One of those days where everything felt lighter than normal.

Creepy Lurker

I'm going to have to get fit in the next few months and wouldn't mind giving this lifting/diet culture that seems rife a try. I'm pretty badly overweight at the moment - should I lose weight first, then think about putting on a bit of muscle?

Depending on how badly overweight you are, probably. You can still lift while losing weight, though.

Went for a jog along the canal on Saturday and only a few miles in I started to feel my heart squashing in and spat up blood. Have been feeling so crap since, no energy at all. Running the Edin marathon in 3 weeks so bit worried about this..

I'm sure the sensation of a squashed heart and coughing blood is nothing to be worried about. Certainly no reason to go and see a doctor ASAP.

I'm sure the sensation of a squashed heart and coughing blood is nothing to be worried about. Certainly no reason to go and see a doctor ASAP.

I think it's fairly common?

I think it's fairly common?

Mate get yourself to a doctors ffs and don't do anything that strains you until you have the all clear.

In fact get yourself to the hospital right now. :lol:

If this isn't some sort of weird troll attempt then get to the doctor.

Coughing blood on it's own isn't entirely uncommon and could be caused by many things which may not be serious at all. But accompanied with the weird heart sensation you had and feeling crap all week you should get an appointment ASAP. Better safe than sorry.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coughing-up-blood/pages/introduction.aspx

Going to go to the doctors on Wednesday, hoping it isn't gonna be anything that stops me from doing any exercise as I don't want to have to pull out the marathon.

Maybe I've taken cutting too far, is blood heavy?

Guest GhostHunter

Going to go to the doctors on Wednesday, hoping it isn't gonna be anything that stops me from doing any exercise as I don't want to have to pull out the marathon.

Maybe I've taken cutting too far, is blood heavy?

Sorry, and I don't mean this personally, but, give me strength.

The doc will refer you to the hospital anyway, so you're as well going up to A&E now, and getting it over and done with.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Enough about you dying.

Did you see Csaba Laszlo?

Creepy Lurker

Is there much point in a tubby person doing ab exercises?

If you're hoping to burn fat by doing so, no.

Konrad von Carstein

The question deserves better from CL (who regularly offers so much to this thread!!)

questioner -speak to gym instructor - or wait til others post.

Creepy Lurker

The question deserves better from CL (who regularly offers so much to this thread!!)

questioner -speak to gym instructor - or wait til others post.

The question was asked and answered in the past couple of pages. He asked a simple question and I gave him a simple answer reflecting my opinion. A strong core is useful in improving performance in any sport you care to mention (including lifting), but given the way in which he asked his question it seemed clear that his primary goal is fat loss. That being the case, his time would be better spent doing other things.

Who are you anyway, the answer police or something? Maybe you could contribute something of your own rather than dismissing my answer then telling him to speak to an instructor.

Konrad von Carstein

The question was asked and answered in the past couple of pages. He asked a simple question and I gave him a simple answer reflecting my opinion. A strong core is useful in improving performance in any sport you care to mention (including lifting), but given the way in which he asked his question it seemed clear that his primary goal is fat loss. That being the case, his time would be better spent doing other things.

Who are you anyway, the answer police or something? Maybe you could contribute something of your own rather than dismissing my answer then telling him to speak to an instructor.

Hahaha "the answer police" ? Dismissing your answer, er no, I actually gave you credit for how you can respond to questions (when you can be arsed) so go finger yourself!

My contribution? If you are over weight, address your diet, and develop a regime based on cardio with reference to an instructor at the gym until you can safely increase the cardio element to a minimum of say 30 mins and then enhance with weight exercises, again with reference to an instructor at the gym.

You really need to stop treating this thread as a competition, mainly because you have won it, sadly (depending on your mood) you prefer to score points where it really isn't necessary .

Edit: too cheeky

Edited by Bruce Willis

Snake Plissken

Strange post, Bruce.

Not every question needs an essay to answer it (especially one that's been done before a few times).

Creepy Lurker
Blah blah blah

tl;dr

I answered his question, you didn't.

Guest GhostHunter

Okay children....

Both naughty corners are free you know.

I actually had to go and check the rules to make sure there isn't a "Rule 99.1 - Please ensure your post is at least 130 characters long, and contains useful information. Failure to adhere to this Rule, will incur the wrath of the Keeper of the Thesaurus."

But, there isn't.

:ninja:

ellsbells

To be fair to CL i think the answer was acceptable. By assumption, "a tubby person" as the PaulHartley10 put it would most likely be looking to exericse to improve body composition via fat loss (correct me if i am wrong, as this may not always be the case). So yes, abdominal exercises for that type of goal are pretty useless.

Even at lower body fat, i find specific ab training pretty useless anyway. Big compound exercises such as deadlifts, squats, overhead pressing etc are much better for core development through postural demand than doing thousands of crunches. If nutrition etc is all in check then your abs will show. For the record, i rarely specifically train abs, about once every two/three weeks although maybe more if a holiday is coming up :)

Creepy Lurker

I do honestly think my answer there was fine. Acted like a bit of a dick after though, tbf. Sorry lads. It's coming to something when you're getting full on roid rage and don't even lift.