Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Guest GhostHunter

My usual routine was to get hame from work, have a scran and then head to the gym for just after 9. I'd usually miss the rush from the last class that was on and normally got on whatever I needed without any hassle but there was the odd occassion where it'd still be rammed and you couldn't get on a bench for love nor money.

Done an AM stint a couple of times on a Sunday at the PureGym in Gorgie and it's been dead as well. Didn't find it too difficult to get up and get along there this morning although I did make a point of trying to get to my scratcher at a reasonable hour. Definitely going to try and keep the early morning shifts up. Will be good to get home tonight and know I don't need to bother going out again in a few hours to the gym that could potentially be full of roasters.

Got myself into the habit of early mornings now - been a struggle, but I don't think I could honestly go when it was busy.

Pure this morning in ra weej - in at 0400, not a soul around, had the entire free weights on the ground floor to myself - battered them for an hour and now I feel great.

Waiting for someone to come off the weights/machine before you can use them ?

:what:

0400? You were actually IN the gym at this point? Thats not what time you got up?

Thats absolutely mental. Thats the middle of the night man, not early morning! What time do you go to bed?

Guest GhostHunter

0400? You were actually IN the gym at this point? Thats not what time you got up?

Thats absolutely mental. Thats the middle of the night man, not early morning! What time do you go to bed?

Bed for 9/10 up at half 2 :D

Trained at Gorgie Pure pre match yesterday.

Managed a 180kg dead and an 80kg clean and press.

Pretty chuffed with that. The young team weren't half staring though. As they done bicep curl after bicep curl after bicep curl.

Guest GhostHunter

Trained at Gorgie Pure pre match yesterday.

Managed a 180kg dead and an 80kg clean and press.

Pretty chuffed with that. The young team weren't half staring though. As they done bicep curl after bicep curl after bicep curl.

:D

Seat Sniffing exercises the nasal muscles.

I was given a flyer for Puregym before the St Johnstone game and seems a good deal, is it any good.

I was given a flyer for Puregym before the St Johnstone game and seems a good deal, is it any good.

Don't train there personally, but i've been with a mate and am going again this evening, if it's value for money you're looking for then it's fantastic. I've used most gyms in Edinburgh and pure are a good standard with decent range of equipment. I prefer the one at Gorgie to the others but all well worth the money (which is pennies in comparison to others). Only downside is it can be very busy.

Don't train there personally, but i've been with a mate and am going again this evening, if it's value for money you're looking for then it's fantastic. I've used most gyms in Edinburgh and pure are a good standard with decent range of equipment. I prefer the one at Gorgie to the others but all well worth the money (which is pennies in comparison to others). Only downside is it can be very busy.

Cheers for that might give it a try, would be thinking of going early morning so shouldn't be to busy.

Snake Plissken

Started IF on Monday, it's been surprisingly easy to stick to even though I'm often not breaking my fast until 3pm because I often workout at 8/8:30pm. I enjoy the flexibility of it and being able to east big meals once the feeding window opens. In terms of training, my strength hasn't suffered at all and I've already noticed some fat loss. I'm just trying to trim about 1/1.5kg of fat gained during a bulk so it's going pretty well.

I've been making good progress with my Romanian deadlifts and squats, now into triple digit territory for the former but my bench is still stalling at around 80/85kg. While I'm not really that fussed about the number, I would like to make progress on it so any thoughts/advice on bursting through that plateau will be appreciated.

I never really took my diet seriously before and I regret that because my training has always been good, I intend to make this year the one I really make progress from being in decent shape to being in great shape.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Been on a right run of gym sessions since new year but cannot get the fecking fat off my belly, despite dieting hard. Six pack nowhere to be seen.

I'm resigned to having a fat back like partridge

Can anyone recommend some decent core exercises that don't put too much strain on your lower back?

I have a dodgy back which flares up when I do sit ups. Plank exercises seem to be not too bad but I was wondering what else I could do.

:raging:

ANSWER ME!

Simon-Quinlank.jpg

:raging:

ANSWER ME!

Simon-Quinlank.jpg

Press ups, chin ups, dead lifts and squats all engage your core. If you do them as well as the plank within your workout you won't go far wrong.

Passing a medicine ball from your hands above your head down to your feet and back again is a good one too. (Hands and feet meet in the middle then go back into position regardless of the direction the ball is going).

Front crawl kick with a kick board float in the pool is good.

You could also try a Pilates class and add some of those exercises into your workout.

Hamstring stretches with a yoga band will help reduce lower back pain as well.

... I'm sure other will be able to suggest more gym based exercises.

PaulHartley10

So what supplements are people using?

I'm killing myself at the gym 5 days a week but feel my diet is letting me down. I'm not much of a breakfast man so I bought some diet whey for in the mornings. Due to working in a supermarket, lunch is mainly what is letting me down. It's far too easier to pick up some sh!te for a pound than look about for something healthy! I can take my whey two times a day but I'm unsure when best to fit them in?

I'm looking to get in a bit of a routine but I'm also unsure on how often to eat for losing weight. I'm used to eating twice a day, dinner and lunch, and see the whey shake as something inbetween. I'll normally finish work and goto the gym before going home for tea, which makes me reluctant to have anything sizable before going.

Any dietary or supplement advice would be appreciated.

If you are training for weight loss you shouldn't need to take too many supplements. Protein shakes are full of calories.

There are fat binding pills out there, but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Stick to fish/chicken after a work out. That's all the protein you need. Out with that, try to just fill yourself up with fruit and veg and never be really full or really hungry.

You should eat enough to suppress your appetite as often as you have to.

The reason you crave shite at lunch is because you skip breakfast.

Try porridge or a couple of weetabix... Even better if you have fruit on the side.

You'll be more likely to avoid rubbish at lunch.

Also, some people find that a bit of butter on their toast in the morning stops them craving fatty food later in the day... Butter is quite heavy but the calorie intake is minimal, so if it works for you, keep doing it. (If it doesn't you're as well avoiding it).

Other than that, just try and replace food with healthier stuff. Bagels for toast... Low fat yoghurt for chocolate... Potatoes for chips...

I'm killing myself at the gym 5 days a week but feel my diet is letting me down. I'm not much of a breakfast man so I bought some diet whey for in the mornings. Due to working in a supermarket, lunch is mainly what is letting me down. It's far too easier to pick up some sh!te for a pound than look about for something healthy! I can take my whey two times a day but I'm unsure when best to fit them in?

I'm looking to get in a bit of a routine but I'm also unsure on how often to eat for losing weight. I'm used to eating twice a day, dinner and lunch, and see the whey shake as something inbetween. I'll normally finish work and goto the gym before going home for tea, which makes me reluctant to have anything sizable before going.

Why are you having protein shakes if you are trying to lose weight?

Eat at least 3 meals. If you starve your body you are encouraging it to store fat. Get some breakfast down you.

Breakfast is vital mate. Get some porridge or something down you and you'll find it's easier to resist eating crap later on in the day when you are hungry.

Cook some chicken/fish etc and take it to work in a wee container. Have it with a salad and you're sorted.

Using your protein shakes is fine mate. The majority only have 150-200Kcal per shake, so having 2 a day is going to be fine. If your not a big breakfast person - just have a shake with some oats in it (mixed in water). Personally I would avoid porridge or weetabix if trying to cut due to the milk.

It won't really matter how many meals you have - as long as it is the right amount of calories/macros. You could split it into 6 small meals, you could have 2 big meals or 3 medium sized meals - whatever suits your schedule best will be fine - and you are more likely to keep to it.

Creepy Lurker

you gotta eat clean bro. take everyone on here's advice, especially the bits that contradict each other.

4 days off the gym.

(Stag weekend)

Dreading the morn. :lol:

Shoulders tomorrow though. So it's not too bad I suppose. Bench, Squats or Deads would have been far far worse.

Snake Plissken

you gotta eat clean bro. take everyone on here's advice, especially the bits that contradict each other.

:lol:

Using your protein shakes is fine mate. The majority only have 150-200Kcal per shake, so having 2 a day is going to be fine. If your not a big breakfast person - just have a shake with some oats in it (mixed in water). Personally I would avoid porridge or weetabix if trying to cut due to the milk.

It won't really matter how many meals you have - as long as it is the right amount of calories/macros. You could split it into 6 small meals, you could have 2 big meals or 3 medium sized meals - whatever suits your schedule best will be fine - and you are more likely to keep to it.

It's fine with skimmed milk or the 1% stuff.

I've been hitting the pool since tearing ankle ligaments. Initially just doing rehab work, stretches, calf raises in the water and aqua jogging etc.

Started swim training properly last week and I'm up to 100 lengths in 49 1/2 minutes. (53 1/2 min including 2 x 2 min water stops).

On holiday in 5 weeks so I'm going to try and do 3 x distance swims per week for the next 2-3 weeks then see how I am for the gym. I'll maybe try and get up to 2 miles (128 lengths) later this week if I'm feeling energetic.

The most annoying thing was that I was just getting into dead lifts and squats... They are the two exercises my injury will affect the most!

I've also gone cold turkey on the chocolate... Was eating 2-3 chocolate bars a day but haven't had anything since New Year... Going forward I'm only going to have it as part of a dessert if I'm in a restaurant (which isn't that often), holidays and Xmas.

I reckon that's the main reason I've not put on weight whilst out of action.

The Mighty JTs

What is the opinion on breakfast bars? Currently have a couple boxes of Nutri grains. Any good? or is there better things to be having as snacks at work

What is the opinion on breakfast bars? Currently have a couple boxes of Nutri grains. Any good? or is there better things to be having as snacks at work

Are they not just high GI sugar?

The Mighty JTs

Are they not just high GI sugar?

Not totally sure tbh. Just looking for something that will give me a bit of energy but is not bad for me aside from bringing fruit in everyday.

Guest GhostHunter

On a day off from work today, so wrestled with the decision whether to get up and go to the gym or not...decided to have a long lie - and now I feel guilty.

Really guilty.

:(

I haven't trained for over a week.

Drank last Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday and last night.

Need to get back involved. Dunno about anyone else but I am mentally different when I ain't in that routine of lifting every few days.

The People's Chimp

I hate it when other things get in the way. Had a few meals out and a night away with my girlfriend, then 5s last night so my routine is screwed. I had a great session on Saturday but that was the first time in about a week. I now feel shit, have a headache and I'm fairly grumpy about it. Can't wait for tonight to try and get back into a rhythm.

I hate it when other things get in the way. Had a few meals out and a night away with my girlfriend, then 5s last night so my routine is screwed.

Sounds a lot more fun than being stuck in the gym all week.

The People's Chimp

Sounds a lot more fun than being stuck in the gym all week.

Spot on. I usually go for hours and hours on end so when I go to the gym, I don't do anything else. :look:

2 or 3 chocolate bars a day? ******* hell.

Yeah. It had to stop. I wasn't seeing much improvement after going to the gym regularly, and it was pretty obvious why.

Because I'm a big guy and I exercise I do need to eat a fair bit. I'd always get hungry towards the end of my shift and need an energy boost. That was all that was available, so I'd just get stuck in.

Didn't help that the gf was always buying chocolate for me so there was always temptation in the cupboard and I'd inevitably have one a couple of hours after dinner.

Was aiming to go cold turkey for January, then cut down, but I found it easier than I thought, so I'm just going for it permanently, although I've decided to allow myself chocolate desserts when I'm eating out (which isn't often).

Starting to notice a bit of a difference on my belly - reckon I'd have lost more if it wasn't for the ankle sprain.

I hate it when other things get in the way. Had a few meals out and a night away with my girlfriend, then 5s last night so my routine is screwed. I had a great session on Saturday but that was the first time in about a week. I now feel shit, have a headache and I'm fairly grumpy about it. Can't wait for tonight to try and get back into a rhythm.

Yeah, I've been feeling shite since I got back from Beirut and I only managed to go for a session on Saturday. Now I've got a boozy long weekend in Berlin so I won't be back in the gym until Tuesday :(

Creepy Lurker

I too can't stand it when I get to do nice things as part of my personal life when I could be on the cross trainer or doing planks or something.

The People's Chimp

I too can't stand it when I get to do nice things as part of my personal life when I could be on the cross trainer or doing planks or something.

Of course, CL knows this isnt the point of the few posts on the subject, but troll away.

Creepy Lurker

I remember one time I got an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas, and let me tell you that I was miserable for every second of that trip. It seriously messed with my routine of kipping bosu ball burpee chin-ups, and what's more I didn't even get to eat clean.

Felt guilty throughout the 5-1 mauling of the Hobos last year. I had a bacon roll before breathing in the atmosphere and enjoying the hospitality before partying in Gorgie until 10 pm when the gym police telt us aw tae geit tae oor beds because otherwise our dead lifts would suffer when he glided into the gym at 1.30 the next morning.

Creepy Lurker

Felt guilty throughout the 5-1 mauling of the Hobos last year. I had a bacon roll before breathing in the atmosphere and enjoying the hospitality before partying in Gorgie until 10 pm when the gym police telt us aw tae geit tae oor beds because otherwise our dead lifts would suffer when he glided into the gym at 1.30 the next morning.

Good post, GW. I felt like shit throughout the cup final and celebrations that night and the next day, mainly because it made me miss zumba and I couldn't find any paleo options anywhere.

As the final is a Sunday this year celebrations will have to be cancelled, nothing can interfere with Chest Mondays.

As the final is a Sunday this year celebrations will have to be cancelled, nothing can interfere with Chest Mondays.

That's nae odds to me, I'm not even going to the final because Sunday is my Rest Day when my body repairs all the microtears caused by my strenuous workouts. I can't afford to walk out to the car, never mind climb the stairs at Hampden or, worst of all, celebrate a goal. I'll look up the result on my NARCISSMAX © body and world monitor when I hit the gym at 2.00 am on Monday.

I remember one time I got an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas, and let me tell you that I was miserable for every second of that trip. It seriously messed with my routine of kipping bosu ball burpee chin-ups, and what's more I didn't even get to eat clean.

:rofl:

After last weekends Newcastle stag, this weeks been a shambles in the gym.

What a difference the old bit bevy makes. :lol:

Generic Username

I had a big weekend last weekend and only managed to drag myself to the gym twice this week. Back on it like a BOSS on Monday.

128 lengths (2 miles) in the pool this evening in 1 hr 3 minutes.

Knackered.

Also weighed myself and I'm down 3kg and 2% body fat since the end of Nov.

That's despite doing nothing in Dec and sitting on my arse for 2 weeks with a sprained ankle.

Amazing what a holiday in 4 weeks will do for you!