Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Stuart McNeill

When working on a muscle group do you do any other training that day? Also, if working on arms do you do both biceps and triceps?

When working on a muscle group do you do any other training that day? Also, if working on arms do you do both biceps and triceps?

You can train biceps/triceps on the same day or split them into different days up to you. Either way can work as long as you are training them effectively.

Give or take is the Paleo diet just high protein, high fat and low carb?

Pretty much yeah. I ran it last year with a few tweaks and it worked for me. I was training hard and had no issues with recovery. I will go back to it again.

Stuart McNeill

You can train biceps/triceps on the same day or split them into different days up to you. Either way can work as long as you are training them effectively.

so I guess if you train your arms, say Monday, will you train them any other day when working on, say your legs?

or just 1 day a week?

One day a week should be adequate. If you are thinking of training arms on legs day.....you aren't training legs hard enough

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

so I guess if you train your arms, say Monday, will you train them any other day when working on, say your legs?

or just 1 day a week?

There are routines designed to hit muscles twice a week but then recovery comes into it. Compound movements which you should be doing with every workout hit numerous muscles so don't worry about how much you are hitting your biceps etc.

Snake Plissken

One day a week should be adequate. If you are thinking of training arms on legs day.....you aren't training legs hard enough

This.

I only do four exercises on legs day and I'm utterly spent by the end of it, to the point that stairs are difficult.

Guest GhostHunter

About 2 years ago, I went on a v high protein, v low carb diet - and it was going great until Day 3.

Day 3 is when the carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms kicked in.

It was like coming off hardcore painkillers....brutal.

My current workout plan is as follows,

Monday- chest

Incline press - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Flat press - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Flyes(incline or flat) 3 sets 8-12 reps

Cable crossovers - 3 sets 8-12 reps

Tuesday - back

Wide grip pull ups - 3 sets till failure

Barbell rows - 4 sets 10-15 reps

Lat pull down - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Single arm dumbbell row - 3 sets 8-12 reps

Deadlifts - 2 sets failure

Wednesday - legs

Squats - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Leg press - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Lunges - 3 sets 12-16 reps

Leg extensions - 4 sets 8-12 reps

Calf raises - 3 sets - failure

Thursday - shoulders and traps

Shoulder press - 4 sets 8-12

Side lat raises - 3 sets 10-15 reps

Rear delt raises - 3 sets 10-15 reps

Barbell/dumbbell raises - 3 sets 10-15 reps

Shrugs 2-3 sets failure (optional)

Friday - bicep and tricep

Skull crushers - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Rope push down - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Weighted dips - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Barbell curl - 4 sets 8-10 reps

Dumbbell curls on incline bench - 3 sets 8-10 reps

Concentration curls - 3 sets 8-10 reps

Also have a diet plan to go with it, but I've not go the willpower for that at the moment. Definitely am progressing with this workout plan. Feel free to try it out and tell me what you think

Creepy Lurker

Give or take is the Paleo diet just high protein, high fat and low carb?

There are about a million different variations, but if that's all people are doing they aren't following a traditional paleo diet. It's about excluding food types based on the argument that our paleolithic ancestors supposedly didn't eat them. So no grains, dairy, pulses or legumes. Starches are controversial. Our ancestors supposedly didn't eat these often highly nutritious foods, which makes them bad for you.

There wasn't much point in me posting that video, as paleotards gonna paleotard regardless. A paleo diet isn't necessarily unhealthy, just pointlessly exclusive and generally unsuited to the type of population who goes for it (ie active males).

Rob Riches had been on Paleo all of 2013 and he has found it highly successful.

Appatently the biggest, leanest and strongest he's ever been.

Creepy Lurker

Rob Riches had been on Paleo all of 2013 and he has found it highly successful.

Appatently the biggest, leanest and strongest he's ever been.

Oh well in that case maybe paleo is magic after all. I take it all back.

Oh well in that case maybe paleo is magic after all. I take it all back.

Should I be running paleo with my new playlist?

Snake Plissken

Should I be running paleo with my new playlist?

You can't run with a playlist.

Our ancestors didn't have MP3 players and they had to outrun dinosaurs, we're not biologically programmed to run with playlists.

Guest GhostHunter

You can't run with a playlist.

Our ancestors didn't have MP3 players and they had to outrun dinosaurs, we're not biologically programmed to run with playlists.

I believe they hummed their playlists as they sprinted away.

http://www.robrichesfitness.com/2013/01/21/my-paleo-diet/

Refined oils, cheese, nut butters, eight different supplements. Just the kind of thing our caveman ancestors thrived on.

I can't quite get CL's seethe against paleo. Its principles gave me a starting point to build a diet around. As with all things in life people take it too far. As you have stated previously its about finding what works for each individual CL. Paleo gave me a starting point to build a diet that suited my needs and gave me results. As I said earlier my recover was very good and my energy levels were better than normal.

I am in no way an expert nor am I claiming to be anything else. Like all things I don't think there is any harm in folk trying something to see how they get on with it and if it works for them.

Creepy Lurker

I can't quite get CL's seethe against paleo. Its principles gave me a starting point to build a diet around. As with all things in life people take it too far. As you have stated previously its about finding what works for each individual CL. Paleo gave me a starting point to build a diet that suited my needs and gave me results. As I said earlier my recover was very good and my energy levels were better than normal.

I am in no way an expert nor am I claiming to be anything else. Like all things I don't think there is any harm in folk trying something to see how they get on with it and if it works for them.

The point is that if it's working it's not because you're 'eating paleo' but because you're eating a diet composed of nutritious whole foods, and presumably one which - intentionally or otherwise - provides you with a correctly calibrated caloric intake. I'm not saying that the foods which compose a paleo diet aren't good things upon which to base your diet, because they are (the only real problem being that there's absolutely nothing wrong with carbs unless you have a known intolerance, and claims to the contrary are flat out false). What I'm saying is that you can base your diet upon nutritious whole foods, with or without carbs to preference, without having to appeal to some obvious nonsense about cavemen.

You say that people take paleo too far. I'd argue that paleo in itself, with all the pseudoscientific bullshit behind it, is in itself 'too far'. Not only is it not backed by science, but as shown by the video that I posted on this page it's actually contradicted by science, and by using the name 'paleo' you're automatically linking yourself into that.

Then again, I've explained all of this multiple times already and you've obviously ignored it. If this thread's shown me one thing, it's that people are going to do what they're going to do regardless of how stupid it can be shown to be.

As for my post that you quoted...come on to ****. Can't you see why it's stupid for someone to be claiming to be 'following a paleo diet' whilst taking supplements?

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Creepy Lurker

It's impossible for any human on the planet to follow a true paleo diet.

Yes. That is what the video I posted was getting at.

Rob Riches isn't even following a 'paleo diet' as prescribed by those who popularised it, though. He is, by his own admission, eating quite a lot of processed foods. What he's basically doing is cutting out grains, still eating loads of processed foods and jumping on the paleo bandwagon because it sounds sexier and will get him more hits on Google.

I think I've remembered why I stopped posting serious stuff on this thread.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

I don't think he or anyone is jumping on a band wagon to be honest.

Just seems to me you have a problem with the gym rat version of the "paleo". Disliking the usage of the word.

I don't think anyone for one minute thinks they follow a true paleo.

Bit silly to get your knickers in a twist about it to be honest. :lol:

Robs version of Paleo is working wonders for him. That's all I'm saying christ!

We'll refer to it as the Joe Bloggs diet if it helps in future.

The point is that if it's working it's not because you're 'eating paleo' but because you're eating a diet composed of nutritious whole foods, and presumably one which - intentionally or otherwise - provides you with a correctly calibrated caloric intake. I'm not saying that the foods which compose a paleo diet aren't good things upon which to base your diet, because they are (the only real problem being that there's absolutely nothing wrong with carbs unless you have a known intolerance, and claims to the contrary are flat out false). What I'm saying is that you can base your diet upon nutritious whole foods, with or without carbs to preference, without having to appeal to some obvious nonsense about cavemen.

You say that people take paleo too far. I'd argue that paleo in itself, with all the pseudoscientific bullshit behind it, is in itself 'too far'. Not only is it not backed by science, but as shown by the video that I posted on this page it's actually contradicted by science, and by using the name 'paleo' you're automatically linking yourself into that.

Then again, I've explained all of this multiple times already and you've obviously ignored it. If this thread's shown me one thing, it's that people are going to do what they're going to do regardless of how stupid it can be shown to be.

As for my post that you quoted...come on to ****. Can't you see why it's stupid for someone to be claiming to be 'following a paleo diet' whilst taking supplements?

It definitely touches a nerve with you. I'm using the name paleo and that is all. At no point have I said I'm eating it because I want to mimick what my ancient ancestors are! Yes it works because of the nutrients but it works for me. I don't believe any of the mumbo jumbo behind but it gives me a structure to base a diet around. I incorporate carbs when 'following' a paleo type diet.

Snake Plissken

Claiming to follow a paleo diet whilst eating supplements is akin to claiming to be a vegetarian whilst eating steak.

Eating a lot of vegetables and unprocessed foods is all well and good but carbohydrates and the results of several thousand years of agricultural advances are not satan incarnate. If someone suggested taking a paleo approach to medicine, they'd be rightly seen as an idiot, trying to suggest we managed for thousands of years without penicillin is nonsensical. So why is acceptable and even encouraged to think that way about food?

I don't care what other people eat but I don't like the nonsense that is peddled along with the 'paleo' diet.

Paleo for me is like Crossfit - people harp on about it's greatness and superiority however it is of no interest to me. I get my results from finding what works for me and not what is basically another fad.

If others want to worship and follow these things then I'm happy to let them, it's their lifr after all. It just ain't for me.

Creepy Lurker

Claiming to follow a paleo diet whilst eating supplements is akin to claiming to be a vegetarian whilst eating steak.

Eating a lot of vegetables and unprocessed foods is all well and good but carbohydrates and the results of several thousand years of agricultural advances are not satan incarnate. If someone suggested taking a paleo approach to medicine, they'd be rightly seen as an idiot, trying to suggest we managed for thousands of years without penicillin is nonsensical. So why is acceptable and even encouraged to think that way about food?

I don't care what other people eat but I don't like the nonsense that is peddled along with the 'paleo' diet.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. If you aren't eating foods because our caveman ancestors supposedly did, and don't think that certain foods are beneficial on that basis, you aren't doing 'paleo'. This isn't about me having some irrational problem with the use of the word; if you don't follow those principles then you aren't 'following a paleo diet' because - and I'm going to quote this for emphasis - THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF PALEO.

Basically, this is an issue of guys thinking that eating more vegetables and less carbs sounds a bit gay, so they say they're eating like caveman because they think they sound more rugged and manly that way.

Bottom line: other people can eat how they want to. I don't care. However, if a specific approach is based upon stupid principles or if people are claiming to follow some ridiculous fad diet whilst ignoring some of its key principles, I reserve the right to laugh at them.

It's funny because I bet that the guys who go on about how great paleo is would be the exact types who'd belittle anyone who followed other fad diets (which is all that paleo is).

Nuffield Health (Greens) finally has new dumbbells! Yey!

No more cracked handles or 4kg jump after 30kg.

Time to make all kindsa gainz....all kinds

Edited by Walrus

I get your whole point and view. What I've said from the start is that I've based what I ate around the foods used in a paleo diet. Perhaps principles was the wrong word as it suggests I was trying to follow the philosophy of paleo. I don't buy into eating what our ancestors ate but rather the structure of the diet. The word paleo puts a name to it for me and that is all. Nothing more nothing less.

Out of interest what would you rather I called it CL? By using the word paleo you immediately know what food I am talking about rather than having to post high healthy fat/meat/veg low carb diet.

People asked for an opinion and I have mine.

I should also point that I am currently eating everything that moves in order to gain weight.

Edited by JC

Creepy Lurker

Why bother ascribing a name to it at all? And if the past few posts have shown anything at all, it's that the use of the word 'paleo' in no way makes it obvious what kinds of foods you're talking about.

Btw, the foods used in a paleo diet are actually just the foods used in most diets. It's differentiated by what it excludes rather than what it includes, so 'my diet is based upon the foods used in a paleo diet' is a completely vacuous statement.

Snake Plissken

Let's draw a line under this paleo pish and get back to bragging about workouts and shit.

I have just obliterated my legs, if I can walk tomorrow it'll be a miracle.

My post-workout meal has left me fuller than a prostitute with a runny nose, a pleasing start to the week.

:jjyay:

tokyowalnut

Is anyone here doing the Men's Health Dirty Weekend in May?

20 Miles, 200 Obstacles! Stupid, but it should be a blast!

Just wanting to see where people are with their training!

Let's draw a line under this paleo pish and get back to bragging about workouts and shit.

I have just obliterated my legs, if I can walk tomorrow it'll be a miracle.

My post-workout meal has left me fuller than a prostitute with a runny nose, a pleasing start to the week.

:jjyay:

Sounds fair enough to me. CL may combust if we carry on!

Legs later today and I can't wait for it!

Stuart McNeill

Anyone fancy telling me what they would do if they went to the gym only 3 times a week? What would you work on etc and what days?

Anyone fancy telling me what they would do if they went to the gym only 3 times a week? What would you work on etc and what days?

What are your goals? What are you trying to achieve?

Stuart McNeill

What are your goals? What are you trying to achieve?

just trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment and eventually get muscle... hopefully.

just trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment and eventually get muscle... hopefully.

Have you had a look at your diet or done any reading up on how you should be eating to lose weight?

Your diet will dictate how much weight you lose.

Stuart McNeill

Have you had a look at your diet or done any reading up on how you should be eating to lose weight?

Your diet will dictate how much weight you lose.

Used to eat alot of shit tbh, I've cut out Snacking, chocolate etc..

Doesn't help people 'celebrating' easter, didn't want any chocolate but was giving it.

Is there any meals that are decent to eat after the gym?

Should I stick to cardio?

I take it you are not currently gaining any weight? In other words your weight is stable with what you are currently eating. This would mean you are eating a maintenance level of calories. You want to start eating a deficit of calories.

My advice would be to keep a journal of what you eat over the next few days. Work out how much carbs, protein and fats you eat on an average day. The level of fats will probably be relatively low - less than 50g a day. If it is higher than 50g then reduce it to less than 50g. The carbs will probably be quite high. Once you have worked out how much carbs you eat on an

average day - half it. And continue like that for 2 weeks and see if you lose any weight. You should.

With regards to your training. Again if it was me I would just advise you to hit an hour of cardio 3 times a week at the gym. When I say cardio I don't mean sit on the recumbent bike and read a book while barely pedalling. I mean use the treadmill on incline or the stairmaster and aim for a BPM of about 130-150 for the hour. Should easily be able to burn 400-600 calories each time I would imagine.

Used to eat alot of shit tbh, I've cut out Snacking, chocolate etc..

Doesn't help people 'celebrating' easter, didn't want any chocolate but was giving it.

Is there any meals that are decent to eat after the gym?

Should I stick to cardio?

Is it pure weight loss you are after or is it general body improvements?

If it's both I'd add in a few weights from the off, some chest press, squats and 3-4 other exercises.

What the Oak is saying is correct, but...

Most people who say they want to lose weight don't want to lose muscle as well and end up like bean poles. A few weights exercises will help posture and give you a better body shape.

It's less boring. People are more likely to quit something they don't enjoy.

You can increase the intensity, so you keep your pulse rate high and you get quite a good calorie burn whilst also working muscle.

The other thing you should take into consideration is what you enjoy.

I really struggle to do cardio in the gym, other than a 2000m sprint on the rower to warm up, but I enjoy swimming and fives.

I was doing gym, swim and fives once per week each before I did my ankle in and seeing results.

Did my first gym session in 2 months yesterday, was brutal (I've been swimming 3 times a week for the last 6 weeks since the ankle sprain).

It's frustrating because I was just getting into doing squats, lunges and dead lifts properly... Now they are the three exercises I can't do. I've had to switch back to leg extension and leg curl.

Snake Plissken

My legs...

To date, probably the hardest workout I've done for them and I can feel it already, tomorrow is going to be wonderful... :sob:

Guest GhostHunter

My legs...

To date, probably the hardest workout I've done for them and I can feel it already, tomorrow is going to be wonderful... :sob:

I feel your pain.

Just out and into work after destroying mine with deads.

I think I still have legs, hard to tell as I CAN'T FEEL THEM.