Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Gonna hit it hard again soon. Been pretty bad lately mostly as I've been so busy just struggled for time to get down. Gonna leave David LLyod and rejoin Pure, so I can go for some late night sessions and the guys I know who go to Pure train better so will be better for me.

Going to go back on the Serious Mass, Creatine and keep up the Jack3d and try sort the diet out more eggs + cottage cheese etc.

Gonna hit it hard again soon. Been pretty bad lately mostly as I've been so busy just struggled for time to get down. Gonna leave David LLyod and rejoin Pure, so I can go for some late night sessions and the guys I know who go to Pure train better so will be better for me.

Going to go back on the Serious Mass, Creatine and keep up the Jack3d and try sort the diet out more eggs + cottage cheese etc.

Sounds good mate, i've found a decent diet is at least 70% influence on how worthwhile training is. If the training is top notch and the diet isn't, results are nowhere near what they could be. Obviously works the other way too though but for me diet is often underestimated. Being spot on with your diet aids your training performance, recovery, growth and body fat levels. My own diet is pretty basic and boring but seeing results and progress keeps me at it!

As for the training, training with mates or someone with similar goals is something id recommend - allows you to push yourself if there's someone to spot you and also means you can stick with the training! Good luck

Creepy Lurker

As of tomorrow, I'll be trying to incorporate some of these principles into my diet. Seems like good science; I'll report back on how it goes.

Anyone actually interested?

It's too early to comment on body composition, really, but I definitely feel like I have more energy during the day and am sleeping better. Training performance seems largely unchanged. Will keep up with this for quite a while, although not sure if it'll be a permanent change as there are certain things that I enjoy which are difficult to incorporate if I'm effectively not eating large portions of carbs and fat at the same time. Peanut butter sandwiches are one example, as is pasta with homemade pesto.

That said, I don't have any difficulty sticking to this and still get to eat food I enjoy. Saving up carbs for the final meals means that I get to eat carb portions which actually feel satisfying, which is nice.

On the subject of diets, I think I've pretty much got mines spot on during the week but I always take the piss a bit on Saturday and Sunday and eat shit. How much of an effect will this have do you think? Does it ruin 5 days of good work?

I need at least one day of eating what I want or I just won't stick to it.

Creepy Lurker

I'd keep it to one day a week, but if you're eating well most of the time then it won't make a huge difference. Depending on social life, I'll have either a 'cheat day' every 7-10 where I binge all day (it's ******* great) or slightly more regular 'cheat meals' where I eat whatever I like for one meal after having been high protein / low everything else for the rest of the day. The main benefit's psychological; as you say, it makes us all more likely to stick to it. If I really wanted to, I reckon I'd have enough discipline to eat 100% clean all the time, but I'd have no social life and be miserable. As it is, doing certain things less (going out on the piss, eating junk or unhealthy food, etc) actually makes me appreciate them much more when I do them.

Some people will even claim that having cheat meals will boost metabolism and are a good thing for that reason, but it's wishful thinking really. If you're cutting then it'll boost metabolism to an extent, but you're likely to be eating more extra calories than it'll have you burning.

There's a good article on the subject here.

Edit: further to my previous post, if anyone's interested then I'll add that I haven't followed the blueprint to the letter; I reckon that it's based on people training in the evening, so if I train during the day (which is normally the case at weekends), I'll have one of the high carb meals sooner after training and only one late in the day.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Anyone got any good bi's exercises? Started to get a bit bored of the ones I'm doing at the moment.

Any back ones too??

Anyone got any good bi's exercises? Started to get a bit bored of the ones I'm doing at the moment.

Any back ones too??

Deadlifts are the KING of exercises.

So in a nutshell, you are going to eat low carbs (AM) and high carbs (PM). What would be your measure of success from this?

This is a very interesting concept.

I am going on holiday soon and am trying to cut up and I am on a high carb AM and low carb PM diet.

The reason I eat high carbs AM is because when I wake up I have not eaten anything for 8 hours so my body needs carbs for fuel. I find that if I dont eat lots of carbs in the morning then I struggle to get going. Also would be worried about my body going in to a catabolic state where my body (because of the lack of carbs) would start feeding on my muscles for energy.

At night I tend to keep carbs very low. I stay clear of starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice and pots. The reason for this is that if you take in a lot of carbs at night and go to bed then your body does not get a chance to burn it of. This means that the carbs can get stored as fat for the body to use at a later date.

My current diet looks like this -

7am: Porridge with a banana and strawberries. Whey protein shake

10:30am 1 apple. Low Fat natural yogurt. Handful of Almonds. Whey protein shake.

12:30pm Tuna sandwich using brown bread and fat free mayo. Vegetable soup.

3pm: 2 Ryvitas with cottage cheese and sliced chicken breast

5:30pm: Workout

7pm: Whey protein shake with some fruit

8:30pm: 2 salmon breasts or 2 chicken breast with vegetables

10:30pm: Whey Protein shake and cottage cheese.

I sometimes swap the porridge in the morning for scrambled egg on toast using brown bread, 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. I also like to eat cottage cheese late at night becuase it is a slow digesting protein which will feed your muscles as you sleep.

Edited by lambo69

Creepy Lurker

The reason I eat high carbs AM is because when I wake up I have not eaten anything for 8 hours so my body needs carbs for fuel. I find that if I dont eat lots of carbs in the morning then I struggle to get going. Also would be worried about my body going in to a catabolic state where my body (because of the lack of carbs) would start feeding on my muscles for energy.

At night I tend to keep carbs very low. I stay clear of starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice and pots. The reason for this is that if you take in a lot of carbs at night and go to bed then your body does not get a chance to burn it of. This means that the carbs can get stored as fat for the body to use at a later date.

This is all total myth.

Good, simply written article here.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Vincent B.A

On the subject of diets, I think I've pretty much got mines spot on during the week but I always take the piss a bit on Saturday and Sunday and eat shit. How much of an effect will this have do you think? Does it ruin 5 days of good work?

I need at least one day of eating what I want or I just won't stick to it.

I've got the exact same problem as you. Decent diet during the week but then start on take aways, fry ups, half time pies and lager at the weekend. I think this makes a big difference for me and I'd be in better shape if I reduced the take aways etc to once a month. Easier said than done though......

I've got the exact same problem as you. Decent diet during the week but then start on take aways, fry ups, half time pies and lager at the weekend. I think this makes a big difference for me and I'd be in better shape if I reduced the take aways etc to once a month. Easier said than done though......

Have you thought about making your own take away stuff and storing it for the weekend? Making a chicken kebab with salad and whole meal naan. Not only good for the diet but saves pounds aswell. If you make that during the week and store it then you'll have no excuse but to eat it!

This is all total myth.

Good, simply written article here.

I very much doubt that those police officers or women were on a proper bodybuilding diet where they were eating 5-6 small meals a day and eating protein with every meal.

Without a doubt if you are trying to bulk and build lean muscle you should be eating carbs with every meal, including evenings.

I am not suprised that the police officers who were not eating carbs in the evening were a lot hungrier than the ones who were. How do we know that the police officers who werent eating carbs were not snacking on chocolate or ice cream late at night?

Were these police officers even training with weights?

Things like pasta and bread are very calorie dense. IMO if you are trying to cut it is not a good idea to eat these late at night and spike your insulin levels. I have been low carbs in the evening for 3 months now and I have dropped a load of body fat. Because I am keeping my protein intake very high, I have managed to do it with minimum muscle loss.

Vincent B.A

Have you thought about making your own take away stuff and storing it for the weekend? Making a chicken kebab with salad and whole meal naan. Not only good for the diet but saves pounds aswell. If you make that during the week and store it then you'll have no excuse but to eat it!

Not a bad idea yeh, thanks. I've made currys a few times and use yogurt instead of cream to make it healthier but to be honest if I'm getting a curry I like it to be made from the experts and ordered from the comfort of my armchair! A couple of weekends ago I made home made beef burgers and chips with sewwt potato. Maybe not the most healthy meal but better than a curry and all the trimmings I guess.

I think you're right though, if I have something ready for when I come back from the footie (and a few pints), I can just heat it up and resist the temptation of picking up the phone.

Creepy Lurker

I very much doubt that those police officers or women were on a proper bodybuilding diet where they were eating 5-6 small meals a day and eating protein with every meal.

Without a doubt if you are trying to bulk and build lean muscle you should be eating carbs with every meal, including evenings.

I am not suprised that the police officers who were not eating carbs in the evening were a lot hungrier than the ones who were. How do we know that the police officers who werent eating carbs were not snacking on chocolate or ice cream late at night?

Were these police officers even training with weights?

Things like pasta and bread are very calorie dense. IMO if you are trying to cut it is not a good idea to eat these late at night and spike your insulin levels. I have been low carbs in the evening for 3 months now and I have dropped a load of body fat. Because I am keeping my protein intake very high, I have managed to do it with minimum muscle loss.

Okay, you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about. I'll humour you by arguing the point, but it's worth pointing out first and foremost that you've given nothing to back up your argument; basically, what you're saying is 'it's true because I want it to be true, and anything which contradicts it obviously must be wrong'.

However...

• You're throwing doubt on studies which you have no knowledge of, arguing that outside variables might've been playing a part. This just shows total ignorance of how such studies work. In order for any weight to be dealt to the findings of studies, factors such as you've mentioned have to be factored in. Also, I don't know how to break this to you but...er...chocolate and ice cream contain carbs.
  • You mentioned 'a proper bodybuilding diet with 5-6 small meals'. This is another myth (as well as being irrelevant in the context in which you've mentioned it). Guys like natural pro bodybuilder Alberto Nunez advocate meal timing being irrelevant (Nunez is also a big advocate of the 'IIFYM' style of eating), and it's backed up by the success of diets based upon intermittent fasting. Put simply, the important thing is hitting the right macronutrient levels across the day as a whole; as long as you aren't at the extreme end of either one meal a day or more than eight, it's unlikely to make a big difference (converesely, I still think that the 'six meals a day' advice is good for beginners as it gets them thinking in terms of planning ahead and making sensible choices).

It isn't even logical to not eat carbs in the evening for most people; most of us will train in the evening, and it's after training that your body is at its most receptive to using protein for muscle repair and sending carbs towards refilling your glycogen stores. This effect lasts for long enough to make it logical for the next 1-2 meals post-training to contain a decent portion of carbs. That's not to say that people can't have results from cutting back on carbs in the evenings, but it isn't because they're doing it in the evenings. Most people won't fully compensate over the course of the day, so less carbs in the PM = less calories in the PM = less overall calories = more weight loss. It's cutting back on carbs more generally which has caused this effect, though, and not doing so in the evening.

I'm yet to be entirely convinced by this concept of going high carb in the evening and low carb (maximum 30g per meal, lower than protein) during the day - this is why I'm testing it out - but there is absolutely zero evidence that going low carb in the evenings is of any benefit in and of itself.

If you're going to try to dispute this, please do so by posting some kind of source rather than making vacuous statements such as 'Things like pasta and bread are very calorie dense. IMO if you are trying to cut it is not a good idea to eat these late at night and spike your insulin levels.' . Thanks in advance.

Should add here that if going low carb late in the day is working for you and you feel comfortable with it, I'm not suggesting that you change anything; if you're eating enough carbs over the course of the day, it won't have a terribly negative effect. There's no science showing it to be positive either, though.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Every four months or do I reappear in here and say I'M BACK IN THE WAGON.

Well guess what.

Reading all this carbs makes me wish I understood nutrition and what to eat when. People in the gym are forever telling me that good conditioning is 20% training, 80% diet

Creepy Lurker

Every four months or do I reappear in here and say I'M BACK IN THE WAGON.

Well guess what.

Reading all this carbs makes me wish I understood nutrition and what to eat when. People in the gym are forever telling me that good conditioning is 20% training, 80% diet

To be honest, for anyone starting to look at their nutrition I wouldn't recommend that they try to go into this much detail; going from eating normally to that would be too much for most people to stick to.

Making frequent small changes is the way forward, although the more reading you do as you go along the better your results will be.

• 2 weeks later...
Vincent B.A

http://www.leangains.com/ Anyone tried Lean Gains?

Interesting read. I dont think I could handle the fasting though. There was quite an interesting bit on the website about supplements too, I've been thinking about trying Glutamine and Beta-Alanine.

How many of you boys eat sweet potato?

I'm trying to add them into my diet but **** me they are sweet! What do you have it with? Is one enough to have on your plate because I don't think I could stomach anymore.

I'm trying to add them into my diet but **** me they are sweet! What do you have it with? Is one enough to have on your plate because I don't think I could stomach anymore.

If you don't like them. Why do you eat them?

If you don't like them. Why do you eat them?

I don't mind them. Much the same as most vegetables, I can tolerate them. If I just ate what I liked I'd be 50 stone. :sweat:

Gerd Muller

Not been in this thread for ages but thought I'd ask this question here rather than create a new thread. I play fives every Monday night at 8pm and normally don't eat anything after 4pm. Today I had a small bowl of tomato and herb pasta at 3.30pm and was still feeling full up when running about at fives. It was a horrible feeling and felt like I had no energy and carrying extra weight. I thought pasta was good to have during the day and then burn it off through exercise or have I got that wrong?

Creepy Lurker

http://www.leangains.com/ Anyone tried Lean Gains?

No, but the science is good. Definitely works for some people and worth giving a go.

If you don't enjoy them as part of a savoury dish, why not try eating them as a sweet? It might sound weird, but I like to have a sweet potato mashed up with agave syrup, cinnamon and some vanilla flavoured casein powder (whey would work too) before bed. Sometimes mix in dates too.

Not been in this thread for ages but thought I'd ask this question here rather than create a new thread. I play fives every Monday night at 8pm and normally don't eat anything after 4pm. Today I had a small bowl of tomato and herb pasta at 3.30pm and was still feeling full up when running about at fives. It was a horrible feeling and felt like I had no energy and carrying extra weight. I thought pasta was good to have during the day and then burn it off through exercise or have I got that wrong?

Not eating anything after x o'clock isn't really a good way to work anyway, to be honest, but four and a half hours would be more than enough time for that to digest. Having said that, I definitely seem to be getting good results with eating most of my carbs after training and in the last meal of the day: I find that I feel quite drowsy if I take on a big portion before training.

Do you eat pasta regularly? If you're still feeling that way four and a half hours later, it could be linked to an intolerance. I'm hesitant to mention gluten as I think that people self-diagnose that far too regularly, but it could be worth looking into either by checking with your doctor or just cutting out gluten for a while and seeing how you feel (but not both: the most reliable way of detecting gluten intolerance won't work unless you're actually eating gluten).

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Creepy Lurker

While I'm here, does anyone use ZMA? I got some for free and don't want it, so willing to give it away free if anyone'll get any use out of it.

90 caps,RRP ?20.99.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

While I'm here, does anyone use ZMA? I got some for free and don't want it, so willing to give it away free if anyone'll get any use out of it.

90 caps,RRP ?20.99.

Don't currently use it but had been looking into similar products, you still looking to get rid?

Creepy Lurker

Don't currently use it but had been looking into similar products, you still looking to get rid?

Yeah mate, do you want it?

Creepy Lurker

No bother, gave you a reply.

On topic, first session back at MT last night after seven months training kickboxing and K1. Elbows. :jjyay:

Gimme an H...

What are peoples thoughts/feelings towards Jack3d? I've been recommended to give it a try but really want to gauge opinion from users before I purchase.

Any pro's/con's, side effects, stories, anything really.

Cheers in advance.

What are peoples thoughts/feelings towards Jack3d? I've been recommended to give it a try but really want to gauge opinion from users before I purchase.

Any pro's/con's, side effects, stories, anything really.

Cheers in advance.

Good stuff but be careful. Your resistance to it grows quickly so you need to keep uping the doseage but don't jump up too much, its recommended 2-3 scoops and one night I stupidly took 6 scoops and couldn't even drive to the gym as my leg was shaking that much. Great work out...I think, I honestly don't even remember being in the gym or speaking to people. So stick to the 3 scoops max, and keep some sugary drinks/sweets for after your workout as you may have a crash. I'd also suggest waiting till you lose motivation for the gym to start using it.

Gimme an H...

Cheers Chrambo, appreciated.

Do you find it to be basically a Gym glorified red bull? I've heard lots of different things about it, mostly good to be fair but most just say it gives you a boost in energy and helps you 'GO' for longer.

Vincent B.A

Cheers Chrambo, appreciated.

Do you find it to be basically a Gym glorified red bull? I've heard lots of different things about it, mostly good to be fair but most just say it gives you a boost in energy and helps you 'GO' for longer.

I was curious about this stuff too. I read that it gives you tingles and sometimes makes you a bit shakey. The stuff i read basically says it gives you an energy boost, it does sound like gym glorified red bull. I'm sure I also read that some of the ingredients in it have been banned in certain countries.

I'd say it's like red bull in that it gives you a buzz and more energy but it also helps you concentrate on your reps. Really good stuff especially if, as I said earlier, your struggling for motivation in the gym. Would definitely recommend it but as I said just watch how many scoops you take.

Creepy Lurker

They claim it's a T booster, but as the video says that'll only really be the case if you're not getting enough through diet. What they don't mention in the video is that if you are getting enough through diet, taking ZMA could even have a negative effect; over-consumption of zinc interferes with absorption of other minerals, notably iron.

Like I said, I got 90 caps free with casein that I bought. I don't need or want it, which is why I'm giving it away.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Creepy lurker, if you could recommend one book or website on nutrition aimed at people who go to the gym quite a lot but don't do any more than standard cardio/weights work, what would it be?

I've decided I'm going to try and do this properly. Pretty clear that going to the gym three times a week achieves nowt without a proper diet.

Creepy lurker, if you could recommend one book or website on nutrition aimed at people who go to the gym quite a lot but don't do any more than standard cardio/weights work, what would it be?

I've decided I'm going to try and do this properly. Pretty clear that going to the gym three times a week achieves nowt without a proper diet.

if you cannae kill it, pick it or grow it, then dinnae eat it.

Work out calories required to maintain your weight using one of the calculators on the internet (google it) and if you want to bulk, add 500 calories, if you want to cut, deduct 500 calories.

lean protein and good carbs such as beans, vegetables etc should make up your meals. porridge or eggs in the morning. drink plenty water and nae fizzy juice. :thumbsup:

thats my simple guide to it. will no doubt be destroyed by creepy. :ninja:

Creepy Lurker

I personally think that it's best to start off by reading the traditional advice before starting to look at more in depth stuff, and on that basis I think that this is a very good book to start with. I don't necessarily agree with everything it says, but it's very good for giving a lot of the basics without either going into too much incomprehensible detail or going too far in the other direction and becoming patronising. It does contain a lot of 'traditional' advice which is starting to be rejected now, but in terms of giving a fairly detailed overview it's brilliant.

There are loads of good websites out there (and loads more crap ones), but here are a few that are decent:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

http://www.t-nation.com/

http://myrevolution.no/blade/

if you cannae kill it, pick it or grow it, then dinnae eat it.

Work out calories required to maintain your weight using one of the calculators on the internet (google it) and if you want to bulk, add 500 calories, if you want to cut, deduct 500 calories.

lean protein and good carbs such as beans, vegetables etc should make up your meals. porridge or eggs in the morning. drink plenty water and nae fizzy juice. :thumbsup:

thats my simple guide to it. will no doubt be destroyed by creepy. :ninja:

Most of that's fine, although I'd also emphasise the role of healthy fats. I've also personally recently moved away from the high carb breakfast thing that most people do and am really feeling the benefits of it...but I don't think that it's worth going into that with someone who's just starting out nutrition-wise. The best advice from that point of view is to think in terms of eating healthily before going more in-depth at their own rate if that's what they want to do. Trying to do too much too soon is only ever likely to result in burning out and slipping back into bad habits.

Gradual progression is key. I've gone a bit more in depth on this thread when it's been relevant, but I wouldn't even really recommend that people who're just starting out even calculate macronutrient levels (which is probably the single most important part of sports nutrition) straight away.

Most of that's fine, although I'd also emphasise the role of healthy fats. I've also personally recently moved away from the high carb breakfast thing that most people do and am really feeling the benefits of it...but I don't think that it's worth going into that with someone who's just starting out nutrition-wise. The best advice from that point of view is to think in terms of eating healthily before going more in-depth at their own rate if that's what they want to do. Trying to do too much too soon is only ever likely to result in burning out and slipping back into bad habits.

Gradual progression is key. I've gone a bit more in depth on this thread when it's been relevant, but I wouldn't even really recommend that people who're just starting out even calculate macronutrient levels (which is probably the single most important part of sports nutrition) straight away.

Do you think it's necessary to go more in depth if you are just looking to keep yourself in shape?

I know you do a lot for your sport.

Creepy Lurker

Do you think it's necessary to go more in depth if you are just looking to keep yourself in shape?

I know you do a lot for your sport.

Well, the more you put in the more you get out (as in just about any area of life). It'd really depend on how you'd define 'necessary' and how much you're willing to sacrifice for your fitness goals.

That might seem like a bit of a vague answer, but it's hard to say. The more I've learned on the topic the more I've wanted to learn, so reading up on fitness and nutrition and putting into practice what I've read has effectively become a hobby to me. I realise that it's more of a chore to most people and I think that it's important to enjoy what you're doing, so I don't reckon that it's a good idea for anyone to make themselves miserable counting every gramme of everything and end up with a house full of tupperware and no mates (not that I'm saying that that's what my life's like laugh.gif). Basically, it's about striking a balance between improving diet and lifestyle without compromising other areas of your life (e.g. less of a social life, spending leisure time planning meals rather than properly relaxing) more than you're comfortable with.

The only exception I'd make there would be for people who're training really seriously for aesthetics; if you just want to be fitter and look a bit better naked then you can get away with a degree of guesswork, but for the bodybuilder look calculating macros at the very least becomes essential.

Just got a bag of this stuff :

real%20mass%20probiotic.jpg

Good reviews for a gainer, hopefully can finally get some decent weight on!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just got a bag of this stuff :

real%20mass%20probiotic.jpg

Good reviews for a gainer, hopefully can finally get some decent weight on!

Stuff like that ******* scares me, looks like steroids

Ray Winstone

1 year and 6 months (almost to the day) since I started changing my diet and actually going to the gym properly...

35kg lost.

Just goes to show with a bit of effort and application you can achieve anything.

Now for a healthy salad dinner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

1 year and 6 months (almost to the day) since I started changing my diet and actually going to the gym properly...

35kg lost.

Just goes to show with a bit of effort and application you can achieve anything.

Now for a healthy salad dinner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

2FcVV.gif

• 1 month later...

Got the bug for this running now.I was buzzing on Sunday when I got in.

Thought it was a one off but I'm going to keep at it :thumbsup:

I didn't keep at it :facepalm:

First time in over 6 months I went for a run this morning! 3k and I was totally messed. Thought I was going to die :(

Back out Tomorrow though. Going to sign up for this 10k again :thumbsup: