Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

According to the Pure Gym website there is one opening at "Edinburgh West" in June 2012.

Anyone heard where about exactly?

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice here. I'm looking to get pretty fit and eating reasonably healthy. Now, I'm still quite young and play a bit of sport so I'm reasonably fit as it is but would like to get alot fitter, and bulk up a tad, but not too much. I've got myself a gym membership and have started going 4 times a week. The biggest challenge for me will be my diet because if I'm honest, it's awful, I eat a lot of junk, so I need a complete turnaround in terms of what I eat. Ideally I'd like to drop a waist size but I suppose that would come along with training at the gym. Just looking for some advice on how many times should I really be going to the gym a week? And what sort of foods should I be eating if I want to build a bit muscle? Thanks

Has any one ever tried this? Tough Mudder. Me and a few mates are signing up for it. Will really need to step up my gym time to handle it I think.

Yeah me and my friends are doing it, looks incredible!

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice here. I'm looking to get pretty fit and eating reasonably healthy. Now, I'm still quite young and play a bit of sport so I'm reasonably fit as it is but would like to get alot fitter, and bulk up a tad, but not too much. I've got myself a gym membership and have started going 4 times a week. The biggest challenge for me will be my diet because if I'm honest, it's awful, I eat a lot of junk, so I need a complete turnaround in terms of what I eat. Ideally I'd like to drop a waist size but I suppose that would come along with training at the gym. Just looking for some advice on how many times should I really be going to the gym a week? And what sort of foods should I be eating if I want to build a bit muscle? Thanks

What is your body type?

Are you naturally skinny/Medium build/put on weight easily?

i think dropping a waist size while bukling up will be difficult, best thing you can do is spend 12 weeks bulking and then ripping it down with a lot of cardio, imo.

Four times a week is the absolute maximum you should be going, you will see gains going two-three times a week at first. Then maybe mix it up in the future with extra sessions followed by long periods of rest.

What is your body type?

Are you naturally skinny/Medium build/put on weight easily?

i think dropping a waist size while bukling up will be difficult, best thing you can do is spend 12 weeks bulking and then ripping it down with a lot of cardio, imo.

Four times a week is the absolute maximum you should be going, you will see gains going two-three times a week at first. Then maybe mix it up in the future with extra sessions followed by long periods of rest.

Personally I would do the opposite to this. How much muscle do you think he is going to gain in 12 weeks?? At best 3 or 4 pounds of newbie muscle (plus as he has stated he thinks his BF is already higher than he would like, so don't see the point of adding to this for the sake of gaining a couple of pounds of muscle).

IMO spend the next 12 weeks, shifting the excess fat and water you are holding, through diet and training (btw 4 days a week training is probs about right). Then begin a slow but steady bulk thereafter.

Personally I would do the opposite to this. How much muscle do you think he is going to gain in 12 weeks?? At best 3 or 4 pounds of newbie muscle (plus as he has stated he thinks his BF is already higher than he would like, so don't see the point of adding to this for the sake of gaining a couple of pounds of muscle).

IMO spend the next 12 weeks, shifting the excess fat and water you are holding, through diet and training (btw 4 days a week training is probs about right). Then begin a slow but steady bulk thereafter.

Think it depends on his body type, TheOak.

I think I am assuming he is an ectomorph and a hard gainer but you are probably right as it sounds like he wants to go down a waist size.

Think it depends on his body type, TheOak.

I think I am assuming he is an ectomorph and a hard gainer but you are probably right as it sounds like he wants to go down a waist size.

Way too much emphasis is placed on this idea of body types. Yes a few people will be traditional ectomorphs and a few people will be traditional endomorphs. But the vast majority of people are just something in the middle. Generally IME the term 'hard gainer' is just an excuse used by people who get dissapointing results and don't want to blame their own failings with regard to training and diet.

I think it is unlikely he is a traditional ectomorph, as he said he likes to keep relatively fit and participate in sports yet despite this he has put on unwanted BF. It is difficult for an ectomorph to put on excess BF while sitting at home in front of the TV, so the chances of it happening when said person is fairly active and playing sports? Not very likely, unless he is eating like a Rhino throughout the day.

Firstly, thanks for the replies folks, appreciated.

I would Im of medium build, although one thing I have noticed is in the last year or so, my weight tends increase and decrease drastically every now and then, which is pretty strange as I didn't notice anything I was doing or eating particularly different.

I've also done quite a bit of research of what sort of foods I should be eating and what to avoid, when losing a bit of weight and also what to eat when gaining a bit of muscle.

As you guys say, it's probably best the work off excess fat first with cardio work, then once I'm happy move onto muscle work. Again thanks for the input.

Creepy Lurker

...Generally IME the term 'hard gainer' is just an excuse used by people who get dissapointing results and don't want to blame their own failings with regard to training and diet...

<div><br></div><div> Couldn't agree with this any more.

</div><div><br></div><div>Edit: HMFC 1874, you said that you've done a bit of research into what kinds of food you should be eating when aiming to lose weight and when aiming to build muscle: what do you mean by this?  You should pretty much be eating the same <i>kinds </i>of foods either way, just in different quantities and with different macronutrient ratios.</div><div><br></div><div>What the **** is with all this <div> shit?</div>

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Bought more creatine after the first cycle going well. First time I had tablets and I've managed to buy powder form this time by mistake, it says 1.5g but doesn't have a scope in it so how much do I mix with water?

Creepy's posts are looking creepy?!

Anyway, how do I make cottage cheese more interesting?

I fecking hate it.

I fecking hate it.

Buy flavoured cottage cheese? (still pretty rank)

My friend mixes it with Nesquik chocolate milkshake powder! :yucky:

Creepy Lurker

I fecking hate it.

I like it plain personally, but it's really good with paprika or honey added (part of why I buy the plain stuff is that it gives me the option to do either).

Otherwise, berries etc are really good in it. Or you could do as Walrus said and buy the flavoured stuff.

According to the Pure Gym website there is one opening at "Edinburgh West" in June 2012.

Anyone heard where about exactly?

:interesting:

I'd imagine maybe in Edinburgh Park so all the office folk?

If it's anywhere near where I live (Corstorphine) I'll definitley start using it.

:interesting:

I'd imagine maybe in Edinburgh Park so all the office folk?

If it's anywhere near where I live (Corstorphine) I'll definitley start using it.

Been told by the manager at OT it will be on Gorgie Road.

That's all they have been told.

Edited by Sten Guns

Been told by the manager at OT it will be on Gorgie Road.

That's all they have been told.

Competition for Greens, might check it out when its open.

Hey guys,

I've been going through a massive weight loss (8 stone in 2 years). Been going to the gym 6 days a week to do cardio, but I seem to be having issues with excess skin in and around my stomach, I've read some advice that the best way to deal with it is to pile on muscle in the areas (the rowing machine seems to have taken care of my arms and pecs (formerly moobs) and the exercise bike took care of my legs). I'm fairly new to gym stuff so what do you guys recommend in terms of Ab workouts?

Also don't know if any of you have seen this, but I got an invite to this website called Fitocracy. I do have some invites going spare, but not many so if anyone is really interesting give me a shout and I'll send one out.

600 Gorgie Road according to this?

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/6513/applications_received_16_january_2012

Opposite Stevenson House and that old Fiat Garage? Google Street view shows a Bank Of Scotland building at 600 Gorgie Road?

Greens will take a pounding.

When it does open, get in there quick and sign up. I'm signed up to the one in Bournemouth that only just opened last September, they have an introductory price for the first month or so with a massive discount. I'm paying ?9.99 a month for the first year, people joining now have to pay ?17.99.

Creepy Lurker

Hey guys,

I've been going through a massive weight loss (8 stone in 2 years). Been going to the gym 6 days a week to do cardio, but I seem to be having issues with excess skin in and around my stomach, I've read some advice that the best way to deal with it is to pile on muscle in the areas (the rowing machine seems to have taken care of my arms and pecs (formerly moobs) and the exercise bike took care of my legs). I'm fairly new to gym stuff so what do you guys recommend in terms of Ab workouts?

Also don't know if any of you have seen this, but I got an invite to this website called Fitocracy. I do have some invites going spare, but not many so if anyone is really interesting give me a shout and I'll send one out.

When it does open, get in there quick and sign up. I'm signed up to the one in Bournemouth that only just opened last September, they have an introductory price for the first month or so with a massive discount. I'm paying ?9.99 a month for the first year, people joining now have to pay ?17.99.

It sounds like you're 'skinnyfat': in other words, you've lost a lot of weight due to being on a regular caloric deficit, but are burning muscle instead of fat due to focussing too much on cardio and not enough on resistance and/or nutrition. You're losing weight, but your body composition isn't improving.

Firstly, I'd forget about 'ab workouts'. Your abs can be as strong as you like, but if you have high bodyfat you won't see them. Carry on with cardio, but switch to high intensity interval training and don't train for longer than 40 minutes to an hour at a time. If you train for longer than that without taking on quick release carbs during training, you'll go into a catabolic state (the technical term for burning muscle instead of fat).

Also, mix your cardio training with full body resistance workouts focussed on the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench presses and pull-ups), making sure to allow sufficient time for recovery. Make a real effort to sort out your nutrition too: there's loads of advice on nutrition and workouts in this thread. The bottom line is that if your nutrition isn't adequate, any training regime will have strictly limited results.

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: don't mean to sound too critical, by the way. Your weight loss so far has been fantastic and you've given yourself a great platform to build upon. Now, it's just about fine-tuning.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

It sounds like you're 'skinnyfat': in other words, you've lost a lot of weight due to being on a regular caloric deficit, but are burning muscle instead of fat due to focussing too much on cardio and not enough on resistance and/or nutrition. You're losing weight, but your body composition isn't improving.

Firstly, I'd forget about 'ab workouts'. Your abs can be as strong as you like, but if you have high bodyfat you won't see them. Carry on with cardio, but switch to high intensity interval training and don't train for longer than 40 minutes to an hour at a time. If you train for longer than that without taking on quick release carbs during training, you'll go into a catabolic state (the technical term for burning muscle instead of fat).

Also, mix your cardio training with full body resistance workouts focussed on the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench presses and pull-ups), making sure to allow sufficient time for recovery. Make a real effort to sort out your nutrition too: there's loads of advice on nutrition and workouts in this thread. The bottom line is that if your nutrition isn't adequate, any training regime will have strictly limited results.

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: don't mean to sound too critical, by the way. Your weight loss so far has been fantastic and you've given yourself a great platform to build upon. Now, it's just about fine-tuning.

I actually had noticed that before, and have been working on my body composition. The last term of uni (September > December) I hadn't lost any total weight (it stuck around the 72kg mark), but I know I got dramatically slimmer from photographs and clothes sizes.

So far though my muscle-regain has seemed to have only come through my legs/pecs and arms which is why I'm having issues around my abs.

EDIT: Just to add my current Cardio workout is 20 minutes on the Exercise Bike on a fairly high level and then ~10 minutes on the rowing machine at full level/resistance.

Edited by hp88

Creepy Lurker

So far though my muscle-regain has seemed to have only come through my legs/pecs and arms which is why I'm having issues around my abs.

Ab workouts won't help remove what you refer to as 'excess skin in and around your stomach'. Fat will be burned equally from all over the body, and can't be isolated by exercising a specific area. Given that exercises which isolate the abs (as with any isolation exercise) aren't efficient fat burners, they won't help you to solve this problem.

If you struggle to burn fat in a given area, it may be a genetic issue (although it won't be insurmountable), but it's a fallacy that isolating that area will help you to burn fat there.

Ab workouts won't help remove what you refer to as 'excess skin in and around your stomach'. Fat will be burned equally from all over the body, and can't be isolated by exercising a specific area. Given that exercises which isolate the abs (as with any isolation exercise) aren't efficient fat burners, they won't help you to solve this problem.

If you struggle to burn fat in a given area, it may be a genetic issue (although it won't be insurmountable), but it's a fallacy that isolating that area will help you to burn fat there.

I don't think its a fat issue there, I do have bits of fat evenly across most areas, but I think I'm doing more work on my legs/pecs/arms than I am on my abs, which means the muscles there are stretching the skin back out, the muscles on my abs are pretty much non-existant from what I can tell.

To be specific: I don't want to burn fat from there, I want to build muscle there. Ideally I want to be, to use my housemates (they're all girls) term, 'Ab-ulous'.

At the moment my legs are like chiselled stone and my biceps are a lot more sizeable than my mates that have been working out at the gym for a while, the abs are a bit of a mis-match.

Edited by hp88

I've given my opinion. Whether or not you want to pay any attention to it is your business.

Fair enough, to go back to your original post:

If I'm doing cardio 6 days a week, recovery time wise, should I perhaps do this every other day after I've done my cardio, or do you think that would be too little recovery? I think I could probably do that without it impacting my uni routine.

I'm fairly happy nutrition wise, I cook everything from fresh now (tastes so much better) and I've been making sure to up my veg/fruit intake from what it was.

Creepy Lurker

I wouldn't do more than 3 full body workouts a week, and I'd leave at least a day between them. Doing cardio on 'off' days is acceptable, but I'd consider cutting your training down to five days a week and taking two recovery days. A lack of adequate recovery time will hold you back in terms of recovery, muscle growth and fat burn.

As far as nutrition goes that's a good start, but I would still recommend having a look through this thread.

I wouldn't do more than 3 full body workouts a week, and I'd leave at least a day between them. Doing cardio on 'off' days is acceptable, but I'd consider cutting your training down to five days a week and taking two recovery days. A lack of adequate recovery time will hold you back in terms of recovery, muscle growth and fat burn.

As far as nutrition goes that's a good start, but I would still recommend having a look through this thread.

Will do.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Had the best session of January tonight. It appears the January do gooders don't do Sundays so the gym was almost empty. Dreading tomorrow though. Mondays have been ridiculous recently with the amount of new years resolution couples kicking about.

Does it annoy anyone else when they see fat people coming to the gym to walk on a treadmill. FFS just walk next time your gonna use the car and save yourself ?40 a month.

Had the best session of January tonight. It appears the January do gooders don't do Sundays so the gym was almost empty. Dreading tomorrow though. Mondays have been ridiculous recently with the amount of new years resolution couples kicking about.

Does it annoy anyone else when they see fat people coming to the gym to walk on a treadmill. FFS just walk next time your gonna use the car and save yourself ?40 a month.

Always think this when I see birds walking for an hour on the treadmill. I'd rather walk/run outside when theres atleast something to see than pay ?50 to do the same.

Guest C00l K1d

Always think this when I see birds walking for an hour on the treadmill. I'd rather walk/run outside when theres atleast something to see than pay ?50 to do the same.

You at the gym

AlienCat051100006.jpg

I don't think its a fat issue there, I do have bits of fat evenly across most areas, but I think I'm doing more work on my legs/pecs/arms than I am on my abs, which means the muscles there are stretching the skin back out, the muscles on my abs are pretty much non-existant from what I can tell.

To be specific: I don't want to burn fat from there, I want to build muscle there. Ideally I want to be, to use my housemates (they're all girls) term, 'Ab-ulous'.

At the moment my legs are like chiselled stone and my biceps are a lot more sizeable than my mates that have been working out at the gym for a while, the abs are a bit of a mis-match.

Have you defo lost enough fat that you think you should be able to see your abs?

Edited by TheOak88

Have you defo lost enough fat that you think you should be able to see your abs?

I think so, my ribs stick out over my stomach. There's still a layer of fat there, but not enough to hide at least the upper abs.

I'd agree with you regarding the january folks, a lot of jokers who just come for a social! I dont mind people training together, infact id promote it, but standing taking 5 minutes between exercises when there's others waiting is out of order, especially when they refuse to let you "work in" between sets if you're both doing the same exercise.

As for the fat folk walking, sometimes for medical reasons it's not advisable for the obese population to be hammering the treadmill at first (possible high blood pressure etc) until they adapt to higher intensity exercise - but that aside, it bloody noises me up as well when you want on a treadmill!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just discovered the joys of cottage cheese and contrary to loads of people, I really like it. Have it with salsa sauce and crackers, barry.

I'm struggling for ideas for lunch. Usually at uni most days and the cafe is pretty pish. End up getting a wee tub of pasta with some tuna, tomatoes and lettuce but could do with changing it up a wee bit.

Any ideas on some quick, cheap things I could make the night before?

Cant stomach cottage cheese. Quark on the other hand is more do-able. Mix it with some flavoured protein or the low calorie hot choc powders.

Creepy Lurker

Just discovered the joys of cottage cheese and contrary to loads of people, I really like it. Have it with salsa sauce and crackers, barry.

I'm struggling for ideas for lunch. Usually at uni most days and the cafe is pretty pish. End up getting a wee tub of pasta with some tuna, tomatoes and lettuce but could do with changing it up a wee bit.

Cooking healthy meals in bulk when you have the time saves time and money. Make four portions' worth of something, freeze three of them and you have three ready made lunches to chuck in a tupperware.

I've just cooked four chicken breasts marinated in the juice and zest of four clementines and some grated ginger, along with four sweet potatoes, four carrots, four peppers (two red, two green) and four red onions in olive oil. Not even eating any of it today. Also got three servings of rice, bean and vegetable stir-fry, one pork and vegetable casserole and one low-fat salmon flan in the freezer at the moment.

Depends how strict you want to be, AP. Personally im in Uni some days 9-1 then work 1:30-9:30, so i take 3-4 pre-cooked meals (don't particularly rate my uni canteen or staff canteen at work).

Im pretty strict/clean on the diet at the moment. Cook 3-4 chicken breasts, about 100g of brown rice/sweet potato and a 3 handfuls of broccoli/green beans. Split it into 4 containers (size of the ones u get a chinese takeaway in!) and have them every 2.5-3 hours throughout the day.

Easiest things to cook off are rice, pasta, noodles, veg etc and also ur protein sources i.e chicken breast, turkey breast etc. will take about 30 mins all in to cook the lot and split it up. Depends if u mind eating cold food! Obviously the meats are more expensive but it's an integral part of any diet where muscle building or maintenance is the goal.

Barney Rubble

Anyone know of any reasonable gyms i could go to on a pay as you go basis in the west of Edinburgh when my local one is closed for unexpected reasons which happened today , nothing fancy mind just a good collection of weights benches and machines will do :thumbsup:

Anyone know of any reasonable gyms i could go to on a pay as you go basis in the west of Edinburgh when my local one is closed for unexpected reasons which happened today , nothing fancy mind just a good collection of weights benches and machines will do :thumbsup:

Is that team parente gym?

So how is everyones goals for 2012 coming along?

Think I am on the right track for Summer. Been working in an office since the turn of the year which means I have to be well organised with my grub.

Creepy Lurker

So how is everyones goals for 2012 coming along?

Think I am on the right track for Summer. Been working in an office since the turn of the year which means I have to be well organised with my grub.

Bit frustrating, to be honest. My goals are more performance related, and although I've still got good fitness I feel like I'm treading water in terms of technique. Haven't noticed any real improvement in sparring, and when I improve on one weak area it seems as though I lose out elsewhere. Think it might be partly to do with having been on a caloric deficit initially: you don't realise how much of a difference it makes even in terms of performance on a technical level (just having that bit less energy makes you tire more quickly, be more prone to mistakes etc). Still disappointing, though.

Appeareance-wise, despite the mini-cut people have actually been telling me that it looks like I've gained a bit of muscle. Back to my pre-Christmas weight now and leaner, so obviously put on a bit of lean bulk as well as fat over the festive season and have kept it on whilst burning the fat. So that's one good thing, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

These after Christmas New Years resolution making cretins are showing no signs of letting up at the Peak in Stirling. :angry:

Hopefully by March they'll be off the wagon.

Shoulders been messed for a week now. Last Tuesday went to gym, shoulder felt fine went to do shoulder press on usual weight and as soon as I was fully extended I felt the pain in my shoulder. Tried a few more and it was killer, so done bi's/tri's. Went down the Wed tried to bench and it was agony again so been off the gym since and it still feels pretty tight, can't life my arm up higher than 90 degrees.

Anyone had similar? Desperate to get back into the gym.

Shoulders been messed for a week now. Last Tuesday went to gym, shoulder felt fine went to do shoulder press on usual weight and as soon as I was fully extended I felt the pain in my shoulder. Tried a few more and it was killer, so done bi's/tri's. Went down the Wed tried to bench and it was agony again so been off the gym since and it still feels pretty tight, can't life my arm up higher than 90 degrees.

Maybe worth while going to a sports specialist doctor. Do you mean you are in a lot of pain if you lift your arm above your head?

Hurt my shoulder bringing a weight down about a month ago. Just been doing a stretching routine with very light weights and a resistance band before every workout. Seems to be helping a lot, still not 100% though.