Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I usually say to someone on the rack;

"Can you gift me a wee shout when you're done, no rush mate"

Otherwise you'll wait forever. It's good to know you'll be handed it next. It's a queuing system at pure. :lol:

Edited by Sten Guns

Anyone ever completely changed what time of day they workout? I have recently gone from 5pm-ish every day to 0630.

I swear to god it might be killing me. Every workout I think i'm going to die or puke and I am absolutely messed for the rest of the day.

How long will this last? Its been a week and a half!

Guest GhostHunter

Anyone ever completely changed what time of day they workout? I have recently gone from 5pm-ish every day to 0630.

I swear to god it might be killing me. Every workout I think i'm going to die or puke and I am absolutely messed for the rest of the day.

How long will this last? Its been a week and a half!

You get used to it.

Took me about 3-4 weeks to get into the swing of it - though I've noticed I tend to hit the wall every 4weeks pretty regularly.

:ninja:

Nothing I hate more than people who stand and wait for you to finish on a machine or bench. A French boy followed me round the gym once asking if I was finished on each thing when I'd only done 1 set.

On another note..I'm still struggling for motivation. This has been for 2/3 weeks now and I'm only managing one or two sessions a week. I take my gym stuff to work with me then as soon as I leave work I'm like nah can't be hooped. Then I sit about the house doing FA all night!

Nothing I hate more than people who stand and wait for you to finish on a machine or bench. A French boy followed me round the gym once asking if I was finished on each thing when I'd only done 1 set.

If its the squat rack and its leg day, I'm standing waiting.

I ain't going knowhere and risking someone else getting it and it waiting longer.

That's why I ask too, you can't have 4 or 5 guys all wondering who's gonna jump on first. :lol:

It's like putting 50p on the pool table.

Creepy Lurker

I usually stand and wait, but not right next to anyone so that I'm breathing down their neck. Just close enough that no ***** else is getting the rack, bench or whatever before me.

Did they not get new stuff quite recently?

Yeah dumbbells, plates and cv stuff.

They now have updated all the other machines and racks etc...

Anyone got any ideas of a session without equipment for strength,can't get to they gym and struggling to think of anything here

Press up's

Squats with anything heavy round your neck.

Chin up's

On another note..I'm still struggling for motivation. This has been for 2/3 weeks now and I'm only managing one or two sessions a week. I take my gym stuff to work with me then as soon as I leave work I'm like nah can't be hooped. Then I sit about the house doing FA all night!

Have you spoken to a PT at the gym? Depending on where you go, they can sort you out with a programme that can change from session to session, so that you don't get bored. If it's just cardio you're going for, I'd suggest going to a Bootcamp Class. Excellent workout. Once you're "in to" the gym, it's difficult not to go. I end to feel guily for now not going because I'm not going to meet the goals I've set myself.

Have you spoken to a PT at the gym? Depending on where you go, they can sort you out with a programme that can change from session to session, so that you don't get bored. If it's just cardio you're going for, I'd suggest going to a Bootcamp Class. Excellent workout. Once you're "in to" the gym, it's difficult not to go. I end to feel guily for now not going because I'm not going to meet the goals I've set myself.

A few of my best mates are PTs so I probably should get one of them to do me a program. Its just getting into the gym thats the issue at the moment! I was in the phase of going 4 times a week and would never miss it but just proper struggling just now. Think it could be due to lack of results, I seriously struggling to put any weight on getting so fed up of it.

If its the squat rack and its leg day, I'm standing waiting.

I ain't going knowhere and risking someone else getting it and it waiting longer.

That's why I ask too, you can't have 4 or 5 guys all wondering who's gonna jump on first. :lol:

It's like putting 50p on the pool table.

I can understand it a bit more at Pure as it is always so busy.

If someone asks and you say only 1 set left fair enough but there is guys who just come and stand waiting or wait even when you say you've just started.

A few of my best mates are PTs so I probably should get one of them to do me a program. Its just getting into the gym thats the issue at the moment! I was in the phase of going 4 times a week and would never miss it but just proper struggling just now. Think it could be due to lack of results, I seriously struggling to put any weight on getting so fed up of it.

I am in the same boat. Prior to summer I was chopping and changing programmes and not happy with my gym and what I was doing. Went to Thailand trained for 2 weeks out there no gym time and thought I'd come back dying to get into it. That has not been the case! Since coming back from being away I've been to the gym once and that was last night - hated every minute. It wasn't helped that when I walked in some **** was training with his top off! Time for a new gym. Having trained in the se place for almost 8 years I'm ready for a change!

I am in the same boat. Prior to summer I was chopping and changing programmes and not happy with my gym and what I was doing. Went to Thailand trained for 2 weeks out there no gym time and thought I'd come back dying to get into it. That has not been the case! Since coming back from being away I've been to the gym once and that was last night - hated every minute. It wasn't helped that when I walked in some **** was training with his top off! Time for a new gym. Having trained in the se place for almost 8 years I'm ready for a change!

Let me guess, he was a skinny runt?

Snake Plissken

:what:

What an arsehole, that's just not on.

I found my first couple of workouts when I got back (coincidentally, I was also in Thailand) really grim but I stuck at it and last night was a bit of a return to form. Felt a bit more like myself again and I was hitting some proper weights once again.

If I can't be arsed with the gym I go swimming instead.

Although I am lifting weights (to built lean muscle to speed up my metabolism) my main goal is weight loss so swimming is just as good and I enjoy it.

Another 3 seconds of the 2km row PB.

Down to 7.10.

Hopefully get below 7 minutes before the end of the year.

Been a bit naughty on the take aways this week, so I'm going to try and have another week or so of eating cleaner and training before measuring the body fat % again.

Konrad von Carstein

I hate you :lol:

I've hurt my lower bicep/forearm area, I think when I "went for it" on thursday to get below 9 mns....fekking sor BTW

Lost a bit of motivation peeving at the festival midweek etc and tonight was the first time lifting in 3 weeks.

Woeful scenes. Was only benching 22kg dumb bells and my arms were shaking like a shitting dug :lol:

The morn will be sore.

Edited by McGlynn Style Advisor

Snake Plissken

I hate benching with dumbbells, much prefer a bar.

Since I broke into the triple figures a couple months ago, I've been training at 80% of my 1RM with a view to being able to bang out 6-8 reps at 100kg. Still a fair bit away from being about to do that but I think it's a good goal to aim for.

My cut ends next week, so I'm looking to get those lifts up in the next few weeks, particularly my deadlifts.

Prefer the bar as well but it's hard to get a shot of it at pure. Good to mix it up a bit anyway.

Just did my chest split workout for the 2nd time.

I do a flat press on the smith machine then switch to an incline with dumbells then go back on to the smith to do narrow grip presses after doing press up's.

My gym only has a small free weights section but it's enough.

I hate you :lol:

I've hurt my lower bicep/forearm area, I think when I "went for it" on thursday to get below 9 mns....fekking sor BTW

It helps being 6ft 3 with very long arms!

Snake Plissken

Prefer the bar as well but it's hard to get a shot of it at pure. Good to mix it up a bit anyway.

Say no more, in that place you've got to take what you can get.

I do occasionally do incline presses with dumbbells, I'm pretty weak with them but I have shoulder problems when I try to do incline with a bar. I have no issues with flat or decline.

And a Smith machine, Big C, really?

For shame.

And a Smith machine, Big C, really?

For shame.

The gym in the health club I work at is designed to ensure it doesn't attract meat heads that will scare away our target market (better off people), and it's not a huge gym.

I'm at the stage where a squat rack and a bench with a bar cradle would be better for me, but combining the smith and the free weights is almost as good... and it's all free for me!

There is an Olympic bar so I can do proper dead lifts and there is an adjustable dumbell bar so I can go as heavy as I want with them.

My main goal is fat loss at the moment so it's enough. If I feel the need to start body building seriously I'd need to join somewhere else.

It's a perfect gym for the 80% of people who just want to lose a bit if weight and stay healthy; unintimidating with lots of help from the fitness instructors included in the cost and a hi-tech wellness system for tracking your progress.

The people who want to make massive gainz and know what they are doing are in the majority on this thread, but a minority in general.

If you fall in to that category, then Pure will work for you, but the people I meet every day are typically middle aged folk that have been told to calm doon on the red wine and start taking some exercise by their doctor, or young women either trying to slim in to a wedding dress or lose the baby weight.

They don't need a squat rack etc... They need cardio, with a few simple resistance exercises mixed in.

Edited by BigC

Guest GhostHunter

The Pure gym dumbbells are children's weights.

2 x 36kg dumbbells are children's weights ?

Ouch. I'm doing it wrong then...

:D

Creepy Lurker

The gym in the health club I work at is designed to ensure it doesn't attract meat heads that will scare away our target market (better off people)...

Wut

2 x 36kg dumbbells are children's weights ?

Ouch. I'm doing it wrong then...

Haha. Mostly a wee troll but they could do with getting some heavier ones. I'm looking for a new gym when I move down south and it's one of the main reasons i'm not joining a Pure.

Guest GhostHunter

Haha. Mostly a wee troll but they could do with getting some heavier ones. I'm looking for a new gym when I move down south and it's one of the main reasons i'm not joining a Pure.

Yeah - it's been an ongoing issue with Pure - they refuse to get anything heavier - I'm sure Glasgow have 4 x 40kg though I may just be imagining that :/

How heavy do you need Ells bells?

Can't see me ever getting to the stage I need heavier than what pure has :sob:

I'm not really into body building but there is a great Arnold documentary on Netflix just now.

Els is right in that the Pure dumbbells are light.

I can't do my chest with them.

Nor can I do shrugs or single arm rows.

That said, I prefer the oly bar for chest and shrugs. Missing single arm rows ain't the end of the world, loads of alternatives.

Guess you just need to work round it.

I'd be more concerned at the lack of an oly bar than heavier dumbbells anyway......

Edited by Sten Guns

How heavy do you need Ells bells?

Can't see me ever getting to the stage I need heavier than what pure has :sob:

I'm not really into body building but there is a great Arnold documentary on Netflix just now.

I'd look for at least 50kgs personally. Not belittling anyone or being macho I just believe everyone should work to their maximum potential when looking to make gains. The length of time and consistency in my training means that I'm at a stage where I need heavier weights to push myself. A couple of years ago Pure would have been absolutely ideal for me but these days I need a little bit more to progress!

Els is right in that the Pure dumbbells are light.

I can't do my chest with them.

Nor can I do shrugs or single arm rows.

That said, I prefer the oly bar for chest and shrugs. Missing single arm rows ain't the end of he world, loads of alternatives.

Guess you just need to work round it.

If be more concerned at the lack of an oly bar than heavier dumbbells anyway......

Agree Sten. The olympic bar is essential and I'd say between that and dumbbells the bar has to take priority. I just prefer dumbbells for certain exercises, olmypic bar for others. Most gyms these days tend to have both which is good.

I'm not some sort of monster out of the World's Strongest Man but I do need a fair bit of weight on the bar these days to overload the muscle. Others on here would undoubtedly be surprised at how strong they actually are too if given the opportunity to use heavier dumbbells. The more you train, the stronger you get, provided you're doing it right.

My personal opinion from my own experience and working as a trainer is that the number on the weights creates a mental block before someone's even tried to lift it. It's a natural thing but if for whatever reason you don't think you're capable of lifting a weight, chances are you'll struggle to do so. I read a couple of studies where a subject was asked to lift a weight, and between sets the weight was increased to above the weight they had stated as their maximum without them being aware. On their next set at the higher weight, they had absolutely zero issue in successfuly lifitng it for the same amount of reps.

The other option is just to go somewhere in your mind and get angry! (without screaming the gym down though...THAT does my tits in).

Edited by ellsbells

Fair play, 50kg dumbbells would end me. 30kg on a good day for me :lol:

Saw a boy last night trying to lift 33 or something and on his first rep his arms just folded and the weights went flying :vrface:

Think you are right about the numbers. So much of it is psychological for me.

The People's Chimp

WTF?

If you lift heavy free weights you're automatically poor?

Being a bit obtuse IMO. He maybe didn't explain it properly but clearly their target market isn't really anyone who lifts, and if they attracted more people who lifted it might scare off the girls who come to use the treadmill and the older people who come to, er, use the treadmill. :lol:

Being a bit obtuse IMO. He maybe didn't explain it properly but clearly their target market isn't really anyone who lifts, and if they attracted more people who lifted it might scare off the girls who come to use the treadmill and the older people who come to, er, use the treadmill. :lol:

Totally understand they don't want to attract people that lift...... But why the "better off people" in brackets?!

WTF?

If you lift heavy free weights you're automatically poor?

Stop stirring Sten, you know that's not what I meant. It was an attempt to explain the free weights situation in my gym, not to have a go at anyone.

There are a lot of women who are put off going to gyms because they find the atmosphere intimidating.

One of the things that intimidates them is big chunky guys lifting heavy weights, so they deliberately pick gyms that don't attract body builders.

My club has positioned itself to be as attractive as possible to these people, which is why we don't offer a wide selection of free weights.

As a result we are very successful, but we do lose out to other gyms when decent folk, like the bro's on this thread realise that we don't have enough for them.

But as I said, whilst the weight lifters are the majority on this thread, they are the minority of gym users in general.

It's like saying I've opened a health food shop to try and cater for all the rich folk who like organic expensive stuff and I've deliberately chosen not to sell processed foods.

That doesn't mean you have to be poor to enjoy bad food, it's just demographics.

Creepy Lurker

If you read BigC's post carefully, you'll see that he basically just called us all peasant scum.

Totally understand they don't want to attract people that lift...... But why the "better off people" in brackets?!

Pretend I said "soccer mom's" instead.

It's just demographics, precious. x

If you read BigC's post carefully, you'll see that he basically just called us all peasant scum.

"Proles and trolls" that's all you are.

I put up with you though, because occasionally one of you says something useful.

I do have to hold my nose when I'm posting on this thread though.

The more likely someone is to lift free weights, the more likely they are to be poor.

New one for me.