The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Nelly Terraces
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ The zone of interest “ 

startling and thought provoking film about a camp commandant of Auschwitz  and his family who live next door to the concentration camp . Stark contrast to their day to day humdrum lives to the horrors happening next door . The viewer doesn’t see anything but we can hear the shouting , screaming , despair and gun shots . There is also a humming noise all the way through it ( gas chambers burning I assume ) . A really brave approach to highlighting the horrors of that time . The performances are brilliant  . Esp the lead actor and Sandra Briull who plays his wife . 

Watching it you can kid yourself it’s a history lesson but then sit passively watching the nightly horror news re  Gaza . It’s the same . 

My wife & I went to see it on Saturday, what can you say huh, 'unsettling' is one word 'horrific' is another. The contrast between what was a heaven of the house & garden being next to a hell on the other side of the wall.  Such a well made film, nothing explicit, but it all being implied & left to your imagination of the horrors taking place on the other side, some of the scenes will stay with me forever. And I agree, the performances are brilliant.

Essential viewing & parallels to the current day are, sadly, striking. 

JudyJudyJudy
52 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

My wife & I went to see it on Saturday, what can you say huh, 'unsettling' is one word 'horrific' is another. The contrast between what was a heaven of the house & garden being next to a hell on the other side of the wall.  Such a well made film, nothing explicit, but it all being implied & left to your imagination of the horrors taking place on the other side, some of the scenes will stay with me forever. And I agree, the performances are brilliant.

👍👍

rudi must stay

Zone Of Interest

I didn't like alot of it but this film hits form and when it does wow that's what I watch films for that level when everything clicks

8/10

Americana
18 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I enjoyed it, some scenes incredibly hard to watch. Quite a unique idea , thought they may have done a little better with the ending.

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Americana said:

I enjoyed it, some scenes incredibly hard to watch. Quite a unique idea , thought they may have done a little better with the ending.

I loved the ending 

Mikey1874

Infiesto (Netflix) started well but lost its way. Serial kidnapping drama. Being set at the start of Covid in Spain was okay until it wanted to make a big point about at the end. 

6/10. 

rudi must stay

Spencer

Second time I've watched it. Good film, it's on netflix 

8/10

Dune Part 2

Cineworld. Been waiting ages for this and it didn't disappoint. The scope of this film is immense, it looks beautiful and Chalomet is excellent. 9.5/10.

rudi must stay

Spaceman

Very slow and disturbing. Not my cup of tea. It's on netflix 

5/10

thehibsareintheirbeds
12 minutes ago, Vansen said:

Dune Part 2

Cineworld. Been waiting ages for this and it didn't disappoint. The scope of this film is immense, it looks beautiful and Chalomet is excellent. 9.5/10.

Just seen it at the imax, totally agreed, great watch. Loved the contrasts between the bleached  sun and sand of arrakis and the black and white harkonnen stuff- brutal at times.  Score great too. Oh and florence pugh... 

Muppetboy

Documentary called Sarah Everard  the search for justice. BBC iplayer

Hard to watch at times, includes testimony from.leading police figures in charge of prosecution of the Wayne couzens.  Body cam footage as well as cctv images document Sarah's last known movements and decipher the actions that led to Sarah's death. Like I said it's tough to watch

Carl Fredrickson

Aftersun on Iplayer. 

A tremendous film that I found very emotional. The two main actors play the parts very well. 9/10

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Aftersun on Iplayer. 

A tremendous film that I found very emotional. The two main actors play the parts very well. 9/10

Interesting. I will watch 

Ray Gin

The Rifleman (Prime)

Latvian film about WW1/Russian civil War, following the story of a 16 year old who joins the army after his mother is murdered by Germans.

8/10

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Aftersun on Iplayer. 

Still to watch Paul Mascle is a great exciting new actor 

boag1874

The Iron Claw 

Cineworld Falkirk

Brilliant movie. Well acted from all the main cast (Ric Flair could have been cast better though even if only briefly featured), Zac Efron the standout who showed how good an actor he is. I’m a big wrestling fan so I knew what was coming with it being based on true events but it still hits hard.

8/10

Americana
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Still to watch Paul Mascle is a great exciting new actor 

He is going to be massive with him playing the staring role in the new Gladiator movie.

Aftersun was tremendous moved into my Top 5, hit home with me quite a bit being a single father of a young girl of a similar age. The whole end "I dont dance" sequence is prob the most emotional scene I have experienced. Really glad a I took a gamble and watched it as I hadn't heard one good thing about it.

Americana
6 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

The Iron Claw 

Cineworld Falkirk

Brilliant movie. Well acted from all the main cast (Ric Flair could have been cast better though even if only briefly featured), Zac Efron the standout who showed how good an actor he is. I’m a big wrestling fan so I knew what was coming with it being based on true events but it still hits hard.

8/10

Enjoyed it too , thought the family was perfectly cast.

Disser Pointon
37 minutes ago, Americana said:

He is going to be massive with him playing the staring role in the new Gladiator movie.

Aftersun was tremendous moved into my Top 5, hit home with me quite a bit being a single father of a young girl of a similar age. The whole end "I dont dance" sequence is prob the most emotional scene I have experienced. Really glad a I took a gamble and watched it as I hadn't heard one good thing about it.

I had been really looking forward to Aftersun after lots of good reviews previously on here but I was very disappointed with it, maybe looked forward to it too much.

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Americana said:

Ill give it a whirl

rudi must stay

World Trade Center

Don't rate this film at all

5/10

The Beekeeper on Sky Movies. Standard Jason Statham fare, ultra violent with extreme action scenes and not exactly taxing on the brain. 
Great fun.  

Carl Fredrickson

Saving Private Ryan. My son is studying WW2 at school and we recently watched Band of Brothers. Tonight we watched SPR.

I havent seen it in years and it is still a tremendous film. 10/10

the posh bit

Backcountry 2014. Low budget indy movie on AP.

Tense tale about a couple lost in the middle of nowhere with a black bear on their case. 

One scene in particular moves this to a 8/10 instead of the solid 7 it was on up to that point. 😬

Ferrari on Sky Movies. Beautifully filmed account of a short period in the life of Enzo Ferrari. Excellent performances by Adam Driver and Penelope Cruz at the centre of it as Enzo and his long suffering wife Laura. 

Jim_Duncan

Watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles again last night. Easily the best film of the 20th century.

neilnunb

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Woohoo! 

Worth the Disney+ annual fee on its own 😁

Carl Fredrickson

Watched the Green Mile last night with my son. He is wanting to watch what he calls "classics" and this was the latest one in our journey together. 

I dont think there is a film over 3 hours long that is better than it (IMO).Time flies by watching it with so many memorable scenes.

Currently watching Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour with my daughter. I am only familiar with her 1989 album via Ryan Adams version. However, my lack of knowledge of her material doesnt take away from what is a tremendous show. A very accomplished and slick show that will appeal to many. 

Ray Gin

Poor Things (Disney)

8/10

As utterly bizarre as you would expect from the director of The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Emma Stone was worthy of her Oscar.

Ray Gin

Aftersun (iplayer)

3/10 

Lasted 47 minutes. Bored the life out of me. A bloke goes on holiday with his daughter and they do mundane holiday resort things. Not a single interesting thing happens in the entire first half. It might improve but I can't be arsed finding out.

Carl Fredrickson
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Poor Things (Disney)

8/10

As utterly bizarre as you would expect from the director of The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Emma Stone was worthy of her Oscar.

I gave up on this after about half an hour. Is it worth trying to watch it all the way through? 

Maybe not for me as your score for Aftersun differs greatly from what I took from the film. Different tastes etc

Ray Gin
34 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I gave up on this after about half an hour. Is it worth trying to watch it all the way through? 

Maybe not for me as your score for Aftersun differs greatly from what I took from the film. Different tastes etc

If you weren't enjoying it on any level after 30 mins you probably won't enjoy the rest of the film either.

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If you weren't enjoying it on any level after 30 mins you probably won't enjoy the rest of the film either.

Cheers 👍

On 16/03/2024 at 23:13, Ray Gin said:

Poor Things (Disney)

8/10

I read the book many years ago and it was weird. To the credit of the director he’s managed to move it up a few notches. Disturbing but beautifully made film filled with great performances. Stone is rightly getting great credit but Ruffalo is fantastic as well. 

Americana

Forced to watch Madame Webb at the weekend 5/10 . Those 5 marks are for the introduction of Sydney Sweeney to me, jeezuz.

The Outfit on Netflix. Story about a tailor in Chicago who has customers who are local gangsters and things escalate from there. The whole film is set in his tailors shop and the things that happen over the course of a day when it all comes home to roost. Very well made and fascinating with a fantastic main performance from Mark Rylance. Well worth a watch if you enjoy a well scripted film with a good story that keeps you on your toes. 8/10 for me. 

Vlad Magic

Plucked up the courage to watch Bone Tomahawk after being warned off of it by reviews. Apparently had a particularly famous scene to be avoided if squeamish.

Well the film itself is pretty shit to be honest. It’s like they had the idea for the “scene” before making the film and wrote the rest of it taking you to that point.

The script is flaky at best. None of it remotely believable. A Western of sorts?

Anyway the scene is pretty disturbing involving the demise of a cowboy at the hands of flesh eating troglodytes (In a Western???)

4/10 and the 4 is for the scenery.

On 18/03/2024 at 11:04, Americana said:

Forced to watch Madame Webb at the weekend 5/10 . Those 5 marks are for the introduction of Sydney Sweeney to me, jeezuz.

In that case may I suggest The White Lotus, season 1.

Edited by jim747

PortyJambo
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

The Outfit on Netflix. Story about a tailor in Chicago who has customers who are local gangsters and things escalate from there. The whole film is set in his tailors shop and the things that happen over the course of a day when it all comes home to roost. Very well made and fascinating with a fantastic main performance from Mark Rylance. Well worth a watch if you enjoy a well scripted film with a good story that keeps you on your toes. 8/10 for me. 

A very enjoyable film, with a class performance by Rylance. It could easily be a stage play with the vast majority of the film taking place in one room/shop.

Americana
1 hour ago, jim747 said:

In that case may I suggest The White Lotus, season 1.

You may.

52 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

A very enjoyable film, with a class performance by Rylance. It could easily be a stage play with the vast majority of the film taking place in one room/shop.

I thought the exact same thing when I was watching it that it could very effectively be put on the stage. 

rudi must stay

Ferrari

rubbish film with a half-hearted performance from Adam Driver. For me he's not chasing parts that test him

5/10

Sisu

Decent 

7/10

The Matrix Resurrections

The worst film I have ever seen. Absolutely rubbish, visually boring and with pathetic acting

1/10

The Unlikely Pilgramige of Harold Fry

Nice film with a good shift from Jim Broadbent 

1971fozzy

The Raid 

god that was brilliant. Violent as f^**. Total carnage. Foreign film but not many subtitles.’

10/10

Americana
On 17/03/2024 at 09:52, Ray Gin said:

Aftersun (iplayer)

3/10 

Lasted 47 minutes. Bored the life out of me. A bloke goes on holiday with his daughter and they do mundane holiday resort things. Not a single interesting thing happens in the entire first half. It might improve but I can't be arsed finding out.

Think you've perhaps missed the point of the movie. To be fair it does hit quite hard after a bit of build up.

Disser Pointon
2 minutes ago, Americana said:

Think you've perhaps missed the point of the movie. To be fair it does hit quite hard after a bit of build up.

My wife and I watched it all and were very underwhelmed!

17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The Raid 

god that was brilliant. Violent as f^**. Total carnage. Foreign film but not many subtitles.’

10/10

2nd one is :scenes:

Ray Gin
20 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The Raid 

10/10

Great film. The sequel is even better.

1971fozzy
3 hours ago, Cade said:

2nd one is :scenes:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Great film. The sequel is even better.

yeah watched it tonight. Simply brilliant.

39 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

yeah watched it tonight. Simply brilliant.

Seen any of Tony Jaa's work?
Ong-Bak 
Tom-Yum-Goong (released as Warrior King in the UK)

Both excellent martial arts flicks.