The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

1971fozzy
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Seen any of Tony Jaa's work?
Ong-Bak 
Tom-Yum-Goong (released as Warrior King in the UK)

Both excellent martial arts flicks.

no not seen them but will check them out thanks.  I treated myself to the Bruce Lee film catalogue recently and enjoyed them all (some were corny though). 
I enjoy foreign films in general

the posh bit

The Menu. 8/10. An enjoyable romp. 

One Cut Of The Dead. 10/10. Japanese film, subtitles. A zombie flick that's (eventually) one of the funniest films I've seen in my puff. 

the posh bit
On 16/03/2024 at 23:13, Ray Gin said:

Poor Things (Disney)

8/10

As utterly bizarre as you would expect from the director of The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Emma Stone was worthy of her Oscar.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is a barmy, brilliant movie. 

Ray Gin
On 20/03/2024 at 21:50, 1971fozzy said:

yeah watched it tonight. Simply brilliant.

"The Night Comes For Us" with Iko Uwais is also worth a watch, even if it doesn't quite hit Raid/Raid2 levels.

Madjambo21

Road House 2024

Not very good.

The odd funny bit or good fight but overall a disappointing film.

4/10

Would have got 5 out of 10 but point off for McGregor's acting 

1 hour ago, Madjambo21 said:

Road House 2024

Not very good.

The odd funny bit or good fight but overall a disappointing film.

4/10

Would have got 5 out of 10 but point off for McGregor's acting 

Jesus that was shite. 

Ulysses

I'm in the middle of a run of seeing movies in the cinema for the second time round.  A couple of weeks ago I saw a 4K restoration of Stop Making Sense, which I'd only once seen in the cinema in 1984.  Last week I went to see Oppenheimer for the second time, and then a couple of days ago I got to see a film called Tarrac which I'd seen previously.  It's a 2023 Irish-language movie with subtitles about sea rowing racing in the south-west of Ireland - not to everyone's taste, but it's quite a feelgood movie.  And then tonight I went to see a showing of Dead Poets Society.

Late Night with the Devil

Cineworld Edinburgh. This was really enjoyable, and in the main cleverly set up. The 70s chat show style is spot on, the story draws you in, and the lead actor really does a great job. There is a novelty factor to this film which could harm repeat viewings but this was creatively made and well worth seeing. 7/10.

4 hours ago, Vansen said:

Late Night with the Devil

Cineworld Edinburgh. This was really enjoyable, and in the main cleverly set up. The 70s chat show style is spot on, the story draws you in, and the lead actor really does a great job. There is a novelty factor to this film which could harm repeat viewings but this was creatively made and well worth seeing. 7/10.

+1 from me. If a horror film manipulates the audience without them really realising it, it’s good in my book. The special effects at the climax were perfectly in keeping with the period, and the final twist really did surprise me.

Ulysses

I went to see Robot Dreams tonight.  It's been described as a love letter to friendship and to New York.  It's animated, beautifully animated, with no dialogue and no human characters.  It's set in 1984, and something that stands out is the rendition of the pre-9/11 New York skyline.  It's also full of oddball characters and incidents, and packed with 80s American cultural references and in-jokes.  I thought it was excellent, though I've no idea where you'll see it in Edinburgh.

Carl Fredrickson

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire at the Vue. 

Decent family film. Couple of bits younger kids might find scary (nowt wrong with that) and a few laughs. 

If they are going to make other films I think it may be time to retire the original cast and let the younger ones see if they can be a draw on their own. 

7/10

If you like a good western (I do) The Ballad Of Lefty Brown on Amazon prime is worth a watch. 

luckyBatistuta

Didn’t want to watch the new Road House remake, but gave it a go because Jake Gyllenhaal is in it. Turned it off after about 15 minutes and found out later that Mrs lB had also done the same. Garbage, should have been left well alone. 

rudi must stay

Aftersun

Easy watch. Good acting and nice to see a Hearts shirt

8/10

Inland Empire (2006)

Another slice of insanity from David Lynch.

All the tropes of his work are here; from the usual collaborators to non linear timelines to random psychedelia to not having a coherent plot at all.

Utterly bonkers. Three bloody hours of it.

7/10

Carl Fredrickson

Gran Turismo

Story of a computer game player who gets to drive race cars for real. A surprisingly good film with a decent story. Googled the lads dad as he is an ex-football player   8/10

JudyJudyJudy

"Mulholland drive "  Decided to give this another go as the last time i watched it when it was first out i was away with the goalie and i thought what the hell is happening in this film...watching it clean and its just as radge...enjoyable radge ...  8/10

1971fozzy
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"Mulholland drive "  Decided to give this another go as the last time i watched it when it was first out i was away with the goalie and i thought what the hell is happening in this film...watching it clean and its just as radge...enjoyable radge ...  8/10

mental film , but genius.  Not one to watch pished that’s for sure

1971fozzy

The Abyss - extended special edition (30 mins more)

not seen this for 20 years or so, so just got the 4K disc and it’s as great as I remember .  Looked amazing. The extra 30 minutes added alot to the story 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

mental film , but genius.  Not one to watch pished that’s for sure

I wasnt pissed. I was stoned. :) 

1971fozzy
50 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I wasnt pissed. I was stoned. :) 

Ahh. I was pished 🤣 so had to watch it again 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Ahh. I was pished 🤣 so had to watch it again 

It was a memorable night . 😎

Rousset1

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Spoiled somewhat by the inclusion of panel show douchebag Acaster and his leaden jokes.

the posh bit
12 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The Abyss - extended special edition (30 mins more)

not seen this for 20 years or so, so just got the 4K disc and it’s as great as I remember .  Looked amazing. The extra 30 minutes added alot to the story 

Where'd you watch that? 

Americana
On 23/03/2024 at 09:30, Carl Fredrickson said:

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire at the Vue. 

Decent family film. Couple of bits younger kids might find scary (nowt wrong with that) and a few laughs. 

If they are going to make other films I think it may be time to retire the original cast and let the younger ones see if they can be a draw on their own. 

7/10

Looking forward to this, enjoyed the last attempt.

1971fozzy
4 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Where'd you watch that? 

had to import the disc from the US (it’s not released here due to that rat scene). I used WOWHD , but I think it’s out of stock for now

the posh bit
26 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

had to import the disc from the US (it’s not released here due to that rat scene). I used WOWHD , but I think it’s out of stock for now

ta

rudi must stay

I thought this film was decent. With a solid effort from Joseph Gordon Levitt, it's on prime

7/19

Ended up seeing a hat trick of films at the weekend. After Late Night With the Devil whetted my appetite for horror, picked Immaculate next. Sort of Rosemary’s Baby in an Italian convent. Promising menacing build up with lots of spooky things before descending to visceral B-movie gory ending. Sydney Sweeney (who was also one of the producers) gives it her all and shows real old fashioned star quality, as well as her, um,  obvious attributes 😍

5/10, plus an extra point for Sydney.

Edited by Elljay

Last of the three was Drive Away Dolls, Ethan Cohn’s new film he made with his wife replacing his brother Joel. A quirky lesbian road movie comedy thriller take on the Thelma and Louise model, just campy enough to be lighthearted fun. Cameos from Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal and Miley Cyrus liven thing up along the way. 7/10

Lovely, Dark and Deep.

Film about a park ranger in North America who experiences strange goings on while in the backcountry. 

I think this is inspired by the work of David Paulides who has written extensively about the number of people who go missing in national parks. The 411 I think. One of his books is shown offhandedly early on.

It's shot beautifully and the lead actress looks convincingly confused: I felt the same. There are some good ideas floating around however this film tried my patience to the limit even with a runtime of just 83 minutes. 4/10.

henrysmithsgloves
On 27/03/2024 at 19:30, Vansen said:

Lovely, Dark and Deep.

Film about a park ranger in North America who experiences strange goings on while in the backcountry. 

I think this is inspired by the work of David Paulides who has written extensively about the number of people who go missing in national parks. The 411 I think. One of his books is shown offhandedly early on.

It's shot beautifully and the lead actress looks convincingly confused: I felt the same. There are some good ideas floating around however this film tried my patience to the limit even with a runtime of just 83 minutes. 4/10.

Read his books, fascinating read . What's it on netflix?

15 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Read his books, fascinating read . What's it on netflix?

Not sure if it is but I rented it as it looked interesting. It's billed as cosmic horror and an explanation for missing hikers and backpackers in the particular area this film is set. 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Vansen said:

Not sure if it is but I rented it as it looked interesting. It's billed as cosmic horror and an explanation for missing hikers and backpackers in the particular area this film is set. 

Just a tad bit worried about putting that title in my search engine 🤣

56 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Just a tad bit worried about putting that title in my search engine 🤣

😄 yeah its a weird name! 

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Watching Zulu just now on council telly

Carl Fredrickson

The Barbie movie 

Greater love has no father than he will sit through 2 hours of this pish to keep his daughter happy. Hard not to be distracted by the second hand on my clock. 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Barbie movie 

Greater love has no father than he will sit through 2 hours of this pish to keep his daughter happy. Hard not to be distracted by the second hand on my clock. 

th-2011470144.jpg

rudi must stay

The World Is Not Enough

Not one of the best Bonds but decent, I always liked Carlyle as a villain and he's ok here. Id say 6/10

rudi must stay

Road House

Nicely looking film easy watch. It's on prime

7/10

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry. I recorded this from Sky Movies weeks ago and forgot about it. Story of an old man setting off to walk from his home in Devon to Berwick Upon Tweed to ‘save’ a friend who is in a hospice with cancer. The usual brilliant understated performance from Jim Broadbent in the eponymous role. 
Just a very watchable, gentle, and moving film. 

PSA there may be tears. 

Lovecraft

The Abyss Special Edition in glorious 4K.

An absolute masterclass in filmmaking.

Filmmaking that nearly killed everyone involved.

Heard a lot of hype over Saltburn so gave it a go.

Boring journey, weak plot, dull twists, and gratuitous scenes do not make for a good watch.

2hrs of my life I won’t get back.

Muppetboy

Immaculate, 7/10. 

Decent horror about a nun who gets pregnant at an Italian convent. Slow but watchable and with quite a shocking ending that's left to the viewer to decide what actually went on

Americana
1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

Immaculate, 7/10. 

Decent horror about a nun who gets pregnant at an Italian convent. Slow but watchable and with quite a shocking ending that's left to the viewer to decide what actually went on

Prob gonna have to watch it just for Sydney Sweeney

rudi must stay

The Beautiful Game

Nice film about the England team at the homeless world cup. It's on Netflix

6/10

1971fozzy
On 26/03/2024 at 15:49, the posh bit said:

ta

think you can rent it on iTunes and the others