The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Narvik

7/10

decent Norwegian WW2 film where neither the British or Germans are the good guys. Didn’t know the story so quite an eye opener 

netflix

best in the land
19 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Devotion (Prime)

7/10

If you only watch one fighter pilot based film this year, make it this one and not that Tom Cruise pish.

Watched this yesterday as well, was worth watching.

22 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Pale Blue Eye.

It's on Netflix, a brilliant film and a great cast.

8/10.

Same score from me. Bale was excellent as always, as was the weird looking guy with the wonky eyes from The Queens Gambit.

We Bought A Zoo.

One of my childs favourites , really is a cracking film for the whole family.

True story based on a recently widowed husband with two young children who decide to start over and take on a house with a zoo attached.

8/10

rudi must stay

The Menu

I've never seen anything like it. It's like watching a car crash really slowly but Ralph Fiennes one of the greatest actors I've ever seen. You could get him painting a wall it would be the best thing you've ever seen

10/10

Wakanda Forever. The sequel (of sorts) to Black Panther. A bit different to the usual Marvel stuff in that there are masses of superheroes around the place and no guest appearances by the usual suspects. Handled the death of Chadwick Boseman quite nicely. Never going to win any awards but not to bad if you like a big CGI movie with action sequences. 

Really enjoyed Bank of Dave, perfect relaxing Saturday night in movie.

Netflix

Wasted 30 mins on The Pale Blue Eye first,

Will try it again though.

Netflix

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Netflix

Netflix

Bank of Dave was good. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Netflix

Netflix

I thought The Pale Blue Eye was a brilliant film, 8/10 for me, a great twist at the end.

Telford_jambo123

Spotlight 9/10 true story of a local investigation team for the Boston globe uncovering the truth about catholic priests child abused habits being brushed under the carpet 

Plane with Gerard butler, 3/10, absolutely shit

skinamarink, 0/10, watched after hearing it was creepy as hell, was dire and full of wtf moments 

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Plane with Gerard butler, 3/10, absolutely shit

skinamarink, 0/10, watched after hearing it was creepy as hell, was dire and full of wtf moments 

I only lasted 30 minutes. Utter pish. 

luckyBatistuta

The Forgotten Battle

1944, the Second World War. A British glider pilot, a Dutch boy fighting on the German side and a Dutch female resistance member all end up involved in the Battle of the Schelde.

Really enjoyed this… 8/10

Bank of Dave

A reasonably decent watch with some good moments…7/10

On 20/11/2022 at 18:24, TayJamTart said:

Saw new release "Aftersun " at cinema last night. Amazing performance by Livingston 12 year old Frankie Corio who starred as Sophie! 

Paul Mescal ( BBC's Normal People) impressed as her Scottish Dad.

It was strange to see all inclusive holiday in Turkey in the days before mobiles, etc. Good music too!

On 19/01/2023 at 16:28, IanV said:

Saw Aftersun. Definitely won’t be for everyone - slow and arty - but can see why it got a lots of nods for Best Film of 2022 and a few BAFTA nominations. No harm that the daughter character is clearly a Jambo wearing a nice retro Strongbow top in a few scenes.

On 24/01/2023 at 12:14, Notts1874 said:

Aftersun. Absolutely superb. The two leads are incredible. Don't watch if you are feeling anyway fragile though!! 

Guid Hertz top on show as well. 

Seen a couple of news articles about this today so decided to give it a watch.

Can only echo the posts above in that it's not going bto be for everyone and it's definitely more of an arty project than your standard film. One if those films where there is no story to follow.

Thought some of the dialogue, especially from the girl, had to be unscripted because it was delivered so naturally and exactly the sort of throw away comments a child would come up with.

On the flip side I couldn't help but feel like they literally only had 1 camera to film the whole thing which led to shots without a cut. Could just have been a director choice.

Can't really give it a score but I would reccomend it.

25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Seen a couple of news articles about this today so decided to give it a watch.

Can only echo the posts above in that it's not going bto be for everyone and it's definitely more of an arty project than your standard film. One if those films where there is no story to follow.

Thought some of the dialogue, especially from the girl, had to be unscripted because it was delivered so naturally and exactly the sort of throw away comments a child would come up with.

On the flip side I couldn't help but feel like they literally only had 1 camera to film the whole thing which led to shots without a cut. Could just have been a director choice.

Can't really give it a score but I would reccomend it.

The director has done a couple of interviews about the whole look of the film and the use of the camcorder. The two leads were given two weeks in the resort on their own before filming to build the father/daughter relationship.

I'd recommend a second watch after a few days. You will get even more out of it. 

The "Under Pressure" scene though!!! 

14 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

The director has done a couple of interviews about the whole look of the film and the use of the camcorder. The two leads were given two weeks in the resort on their own before filming to build the father/daughter relationship.

I'd recommend a second watch after a few days. You will get even more out of it. 

The "Under Pressure" scene though!!! 

I wonder if they were given the camcorder too and if any of that made it into the film. Ridiculously natural parts of it.

Aye that scene was special. Hadn't ever heard that version of it either.

13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I wonder if they were given the camcorder too and if any of that made it into the film. Ridiculously natural parts of it.

I think some did. They also kept some of the parts of the film that just had Paul Mescal in secret from Frankie. 

51 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't want to turn this into an Aftersun thread, but here is a picture of the director, aged 11, and her Dad on holiday!! 

20230209_230246.jpg

Just watched “ The wrestler”.

8.5/10. Excellent film. 

Mickey Rourke playes a washed up, ageing wrestler who pines for the glory days of his past fame despite him losing his family ann his health. Lives on a trailer park and speaks to a stripper played by the gorgious Melisa Tomei for company. 
Really enjoyed it. 

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Just watched “ The wrestler”.

8.5/10. Excellent film. 

Mickey Rourke playes a washed up, ageing wrestler who pines for the glory days of his past fame despite him losing his family ann his health. Lives on a trailer park and speaks to a stripper played by the gorgious Melisa Tomei for company. 
Really enjoyed it. 

An amazing film. I need to rewatch it as I’ve not seen it since it came out. 

23 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Long Good Friday is on Film 4 on Sky at 22:50, an absolute classic, if you haven't seen it, try and watch it.

:spoton: An absolute stone cold classic. Bob 'Oskins was never better. The end credits scene is a masterclass in acting. Helen Mirren is as stunning as always.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

:spoton: An absolute stone cold classic. Bob 'Oskins was never better. The end credits scene is a masterclass in acting. Helen Mirren is as stunning as always.

Not a duff actor in that film, as complete film as has ever been made here or abroad, the ending is simply superb. 

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Long Good Friday is on Film 4 on Sky at 22:50, an absolute classic, if you haven't seen it, try and watch it.

Very young Pierce Brosnan and Charlie Thompson at the end.

Watched the Guy Ritchie film Gentlemen on Netflix last night when I got home from work. Have to say I enjoyed it very much. Thought Matthew McConnaghey, Hugh Grant, and Charlie Humman were all excellent in it. 8.5/10

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Very young Pierce Brosnan and Charlie Thompson at the end.

Watched the Guy Ritchie film Gentlemen on Netflix last night when I got home from work. Have to say I enjoyed it very much. Thought Matthew McConnaghey, Hugh Grant, and Charlie Humman were all excellent in it. 8.5/10

Agree with this. High Grant demands your attention each time he is on the screen. I have grown to appreciate him over time. Paddington 2 is another excellent bit of acting from him. 

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Agree with this. High Grant demands your attention each time he is on the screen. I have grown to appreciate him over time. Paddington 2 is another excellent bit of acting from him. 

Agreed. The older he has gotten, the better at acting he has become.

Eddie Marsan, never let's you down either.

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Didnt know his name but a quick Google search and I agree. A very good versatile actor.

On 24/01/2023 at 10:37, Ray Gin said:

The Stranger (Netflix)

7.5/10

Loosely based on the true story of an elaborate undercover police operation trying to craftily get their main suspect for an abduction/murder to confess his crime.

Watched it last night on your recommendation.

Decent watch, was a very elaborate sting.

On 11/02/2023 at 13:04, Carl Fredrickson said:

Yes think we spoke about this before regarding Hugh Grant . He has really become far more versatile but also plays the “ cad “ so well . His performance in 

“ Paddington 2” was superb. He was also great as Jeremy Thorpe in “ a very British scandal “ 

On 11/02/2023 at 14:23, John Findlay said:

Yes he’s a fine actor too .

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes think we spoke about this before regarding Hugh Grant . He has really become far more versatile but also plays the “ cad “ so well . His performance in 

“ Paddington 2” was superb. He was also great as Jeremy Thorpe in “ a very British scandal “ 

I mention him at least once every 6 months on this thread :)

27 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I mention him at least once every 6 months on this thread :)

And why not ! 

4D9BF153-E633-4491-8BF9-3801C3226F41.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

On 11/02/2023 at 13:39, rudi must stay said:

Zach Snyder's Justice League

Slow and steady wins the race

10/10

Far too relaxed with your scoring if you're giving The Justice League 10/10

PLuther out in a couple of weeks.

And I didn't know Roger Daltrey was writing a biopic of Keith Moon and has just finished it.