What will be the outcome of the General Election

Geoff Kilpatrick

What will the outcome of the Election be?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome of the Election be?

• Conservative majority greater than 20
    • Conservative majority 1-20
    • Conservative minority government
    • Conservative - Liberal Democrat coalition (Cameron/Other PM)
    • Conservative - Other coalition
    • Labour majority greater than 20
    • Labour majority 1-20
    • Labour minority government
    • Labour - Liberal Democrat coalition (Brown/Other PM)
    • Labour - Other coalition
    • Liberal Democrat majority 1-20
    • Liberal Democrat 1-20
    • Liberal Democrat minority government
    • Liberal Democrat - Other coalition (Clegg/Other PM)
    • No agreement and 2nd election

CavySlaveJambo

darling holds edinburgh s.w.

I am really not happy.

He is clueless and is not willing to admit that his and his government schemes cannot cope with autism.

edit: I mean the whole spectrum

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JamboInSouthsea

Be interesting to see what the final percentage votes will be overall as the 'bums on seats' malarky is somewhat non-representative (took me ages to write that as had a few vinos)

Be interesting to see what the final percentage votes will be overall as the 'bums on seats' malarky is somewhat non-representative (took me ages to write that as had a few vinos)

So far it's:

Tory: 34.9%

Labour: 27.5%

LibDem: 22.1%

CavySlaveJambo

true. looking like bums/votes don't tally at the moment that almost never happens

JamboInSouthsea

Tories keep their 1 seat in Scotland...ashamed as born in Dumfries, they always get the NFU vote.

JamboInSouthsea

too many retired rich english *******s down that way.

Maybe we should allow an ex-pat vote as there are 90 million people around the world of direct Scots descent...randy bu**ers that we are.

Previous post a bit out as Dumfries just being called and Labour hold that...red face now for different reason...was Tweedale what i mean't (possibly) before...told you i'd had a few vinos.

Stewart MacD

In this country it's the only form of protest you can make.

Writing "NONE OF THE ABOVE" or drawing a dobber on it makes more of a statement than staying at home.

Yes, it shows they are interested enough to have their name recorded as turning up, but that no candidate deserved their vote.

Here in Australia this also means you don't attract a fine for not voting.

JamboInSouthsea

Recount for Edinburgh South now - 3 way marginal.

I think that voting should be compulsary.

It would stop people moaning so much and scare the crap out of all the main parties.

JamboInSouthsea

Robert Smith gets Aberdeen West...bit of a departure and new fashion for The Cure front man ;)

Recount for Edinburgh South now - 3 way marginal.

glad i took the trip through to vote then.

JamboInSouthsea

Bloke in Inverness has managed to get 93 votes...Just Talk party i think

CavySlaveJambo

5this is the second constituency I have lived in while being old enough to vote (Edinburgh SW now, Moray) and they have both been where my vote doesn't count.

Still vote

As things stand

356/650

Tory 173 37,1%

Lab 135 27.2%

Lib Dem 26 22.2%

JamboInSouthsea

5this is the second constituency I have lived in while being old enough to vote (Edinburgh SW now, Moray) and they have both been where my vote doesn't count.

Still vote

As things stand

356/650

Tory 173 37,1%

Lab 135 27.2%

Lib Dem 26 22.2%

Yeah and Lib Dems get about 8% of seats as a result...no way is that democracy.

CavySlaveJambo

what is it with tory/lab politicians comparing the UK elections to the scottish ones - it be driving me nuts.

the results will be completely different next May

Miller Jambo 60

Reports of a gentleman in a norwich shirt wielding a bottle of bucky appear unsubstantiated atm.

Must of had his Celtic top in the wash, na doubt it.

This election is closer than i first thoughtrolleyes.gif

Lib dems are a joke, wasted vote imho.

Doug.

Must of had his Celtic top in the wash, na doubt it.

This election is closer than i first thoughtrolleyes.gif

Lib dems are a joke, wasted vote imho.

Doug.

Percentage of votes:

Tory: 36.7%

Labour: 27.8%

Lib Dem: 22.5%

22.5% of the UK says that LibDem is not a wasted vote.....................

Miller Jambo 60

Percentage of votes:

Ok.dry.gif

Yeah and Lib Dems get about 8% of seats as a result...no way is that democracy.

Bit like the Tories in Scotland. 17% of the vote 2% of the seats. :thumbsup:

Bit like the Tories in Scotland. 17% of the vote 2% of the seats. :thumbsup:

It works both ways......

WE are now in the territory of Tories and DUP added together not being enough and Labour, Liberal, SNP, Plaid and everyone else not being enough.

I can easily see another election in one months time.

Either that or a nice short civil war.

Randle P McMurphy

WE are now in the territory of Tories and DUP added together not being enough and Labour, Liberal, SNP, Plaid and everyone else not being enough.

I can easily see another election in one months time.

Either that or a nice short civil war.

to be honest this may be for the best. maybe next time round they can actually be honest about their future spending cuts, tax hikes etc

shaun.lawson

An absolutely horrific set of results for the Lib Dems. True, if you'd asked me a month ago as the campaign got underway, I'd have expected us to lose seats as the Tories gained and Labour lost; but after the campaign we had, I've spent much of the evening in numbed shock. For Evan Harris to have lost Oxford West and Abingdon is incredible. For Labour to have moved from tiny majorities in Oxford East and, yes, Islington South and Finsbury to 3 or 4000 majorities is unbelievable.

What's happened is this. For a long, long time, I've wanted the Lib Dems to behave in a more obviously left of centre, social democratic way: we're a European Social Democratic Party in all but name as it is. But the electoral system punishes us for doing this. Stop appearing soft Tory in south-west England, and we lose out; go head-to-head with Labour for working class and ethnic minority voters in urban areas, and we lose there too. Because Labour's core support is astoundingly robust, and with Iraq fading in the memory, has returned to the fold: the panic caused by the prospect of a Tory government only increasing this. Family after family, generation upon generation have always voted Labour, and it seems as if they always will. And with the Tories on the march, that's led to a classic and thoroughly dispiriting third party squeeze.

On the bright side, Nick the prick Griffin's been comprehensively smashed in Barking; and for the Greens to have won Brighton Pavilion is magnificent: a wondrous achievement. Meanwhile, the Parliament we're heading for is as hung as hung can be. It's not necessarily a case of the Lib Dems having the balance of power: more if you tot up all the Tory and Unionist seats on one side, Labour, Lib Dem, the SNP (but would Salmond really work with or support Labour?), PC, SDLP, Alliance and Greens on the other, the result is desperately close. A handful of MPs will hold the balance in such a House of Commons, meaning huge influence for independents or someone like Caroline Lucas.

Whether Cameron is confirmed as PM over the next few days, or Brown resigns in the hope of Labour having a better chance of forming a coalition with the Lib Dems and others, no-one can know. After a remarkable campaign, and even more remarkable set of results, confusion continues to reign. It's like PR by default! And yes, like Cade, I fear we'll be doing this all over again very soon: the key point for Labour is in that time, they elect a leader who can quickly renew them and take the fight to the Tories.

The Real Maroonblood

It may not be a bad thing to be honest when I think about it, because the country is so completely fecked as it stands right now that whatever party gets in would need an absolute miracle to repair the damn place, so whoever gets in will have absolutely no chance of winning the next election anyway and it could see this years winners out of office for a minimum of ten years. (if that makes sense)

Sunderland central coming up and expected to be very close, you can see the posh Tory boy fretting a bit :D

You could be right.

The tories make their usual impact in Scotland.

Why is this the case?

Randle P McMurphy

You could be right.

The tories make their usual impact in Scotland.

Why is this the case?

because the majority of people in Scotland can see the merits of what is better for the majority rather than self protectionism. also there are a significant number who lived through Thatcher who would never ever vote tory

The Real Maroonblood

because the majority of people in Scotland can see the merits of what is better for the majority rather than self protectionism. also there are a significant number who lived through Thatcher who would never ever vote tory

You are spot on.

CavySlaveJambo

what does everyone reckon about what happened in Sheffield Hallam?

Ah well hopefully next election is the scottish ones which generally turn out different to the UK ones.

IMA MAROON

Whatever policies the Labour or Conservative parties have is irrelevant. It is all to do with these Scottish people hating what they see as posh English folk. That is all. It is like a form of bigotry.

Miller Jambo 60

You are spot on.

Yes Thatcher certainly made her mark thats for sure.

Horrible nasty piece of work.

Doug.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The United Kingdom is in major trouble after this result.

The Tories are the clear winners in England but have 5 seats outwith England (Rodney Connor in FST in Northern Ireland notwithstanding).

English independence anyone?

One other thing: The uniform swing is dead and so should Gordon Brown's premiership! thumbsup.gif

Geoff Kilpatrick

Any books opened yet on a second election in October?

I've no idea if my ballot paper got back in time because of the volcano delaying things (not that it mattered in Dunfermline but goodbye Willie the tube!) but there will be no stability.

Watch the markets - this could be hairy!

The Old Tolbooth

Whatever policies the Labour or Conservative parties have is irrelevant. It is all to do with these Scottish people hating what they see as posh English folk. That is all. It is like a form of bigotry.

What a stupid comment to make, deary flippin me!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

So, there's another dichotomy here.

If Cameron calls for "English votes for English laws", how will Labour and the Lib Dems respond?

There's a bit of chat going around that Brown should stand down to give the coalition a chance, I thought it's only the incumbent PM that can do this?

Conservatives are the biggest party, but outside "Middle England" they've done very poorly. This could be as destructive to the UK, as a Labour-Lib Dem coalition would be in terms of rejection because they have less seats.

Other than the Tories just being in power, which is bad enough. This could drive up support for the SNP. One Conservative seat in all of Scotland, it's clear that they don't represent us. If they did form government, the SNP could seriously gain momentum.

I P Knightley

Percentage of votes:

If we're talking stats, then 8% of seats would suggest it is a wasted vote.

As Shaun has said, they're not in a position to compete on their own terms so run as a compromise party that tries to offend no one yet aims to oust sitting parties. I don't think it's possible to be any more beige.

mod delete.

Many of the posts on the recent JKB election threads (which I assume are put up by Scots) would suggest that IMA MAROON has got a fair point. Is it just the last sentence that you count as 'slavering'?

Geoff Kilpatrick

There's a bit of chat going around that Brown should stand down to give the coalition a chance, I thought it's only the incumbent PM that can do this?

Conservatives are the biggest party, but outside "Middle England" they've done very poorly. This could be as destructive to the UK, as a Labour-Lib Dem coalition would be in terms of rejection because they have less seats.

Other than the Tories just being in power, which is bad enough. This could drive up support for the SNP. One Conservative seat in all of Scotland, it's clear that they don't represent us. If they did form government, the SNP could seriously gain momentum.

If the Tories are clever, they could work with the Nats. Introduce fiscal autonomy and create a powerful "parliament for England" effect.

If the Tories are clever, they could work with the Nats. Introduce fiscal autonomy and create a powerful "parliament for England" effect.

How would that work exactly? I can understand the Tories playing to their strengths, but doing so would cause a rift in the country, wouldn't it?

IMA MAROON

Randle P McMurphy is suggesting people who vote for the Conservatives have no interest in what is better for the majority but only for themselves. That is why we Scottish are better than they English. This is, at best, inverted snobbery.

Then there have been folk going on about how can any Scot vote for someone educated at Eton. Others saying they hope Cameron does not win because they don't like his voice. It is all very embarrassing chip on the shoulder stuff from people that still see themselves as working class. It is all a bit old-fashioned.

I P Knightley

What's with the Buckingham constituency?

It's the seat of the Speaker, Bercow (who's a knob), and Labour & the Libbies haven't put anyone up against him (I assume that's a tradition).

I would have thought that that would have made the counting even easier but it's still undeclared.

Is there something about not declaring the Speaker's result until last or are they finding it difficult to count all the votes for Nigel Farage? I need FACTS!

Randle P McMurphy is suggesting people who vote for the Conservatives have no interest in what is better for the majority but only for themselves. That is why we Scottish are better than they English. This is, at best, inverted snobbery.

Then there have been folk going on about how can any Scot vote for someone educated at Eton. Others saying they hope Cameron does not win because they don't like his voice. It is all very embarrassing chip on the shoulder stuff from people that still see themselves as working class. It is all a bit old-fashioned.

This is correct, but the rest is as you say it is.

Geoff Kilpatrick

How would that work exactly? I can understand the Tories playing to their strengths, but doing so would cause a rift in the country, wouldn't it?

How exactly?

Fiscal autonomy means that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would control their own budgets and tax raising powers, and pay to Westminster only central funding where the UK is statewide e.g. Europe, Defence, Foreign Affairs. It ends chippiness at a stroke because there is no Westminster bogeyman to blame anymore, and empowers the Scottish Parliament. It also ensures the weak justification for non English MPs voting on English laws, i.e. the impact on funding for services via the Barnett Formula.

Pensions and Social Security aren't devolved either so transfer payments are maintained for benefits as well.

I P Knightley

On a tangent, Glenda Jackson has clung on to my old constituency by 42 votes.

I wonder how many voted for her only because they've seen her muff.

How exactly?

Fiscal autonomy means that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would control their own budgets and tax raising powers, and pay to Westminster only central funding where the UK is statewide e.g. Europe, Defence, Foreign Affairs. It ends chippiness at a stroke because there is no Westminster bogeyman to blame anymore, and empowers the Scottish Parliament. It also ensures the weak justification for non English MPs voting on English laws, i.e. the impact on funding for services via the Barnett Formula.

Pensions and Social Security aren't devolved either so transfer payments are maintained for benefits as well.

Yeah, I know what fiscal autonomy is.

But wouldn't such a movement by the UK government be a sign of division? In practice, it might not be a problem, in terms of raising tax etc., but wouldn't it be seen as the start of the break up?

I might not be making myself that clear, I've not had much sleep. :lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yeah, I know what fiscal autonomy is.

But wouldn't such a movement by the UK government be a sign of division? In practice, it might not be a problem, in terms of raising tax etc., but wouldn't it be seen as the start of the break up?

I might not be making myself that clear, I've not had much sleep. laugh.gif

I think the UK has started to break up with this result anyway. England has rejected Brown - if it transpires that he cobbles together a coalition with the Lib Dems, the Alliance, SDLP, SNP and PC (don't laugh), there will be an English backlash.

That to me is when the UK is in peril - when the English question the fairness of the Union.

Geoff Kilpatrick

On a tangent, Glenda Jackson has clung on to my old constituency by 42 votes.

I wonder how many voted for her only because they've seen her muff.

:rofl:

I always thought it was the best looking part of her!

Denny Crane

I think the UK has started to break up with this result anyway. England has rejected Brown - if it transpires that he cobbles together a coalition with the Lib Dems, the Alliance, SDLP, SNP and PC (don't laugh), there will be an English backlash.

That to me is when the UK is in peril - when the English question the fairness of the Union.

What do you reckon the SDLP's price will be Geoff?

Geoff Kilpatrick

What do you reckon the SDLP's price will be Geoff?

Good question!

If it was purely party political, they should be seeking some legislation to state that candidates must take their seats and challenge Sinn Fein.

More realistically, I think it will relate to decision making at Stormont, particularly as the DUP and Sinn Fein are marginalising the UUP (who deserve all they got despite them being who I would vote for if I was still at home) and SDLP.

Archived