The Kickback Diaries - A History of Jambos Kickback

scott_jambo

Chaka Demus & pliers

Good read this thread.

Roald Jensen is another name I remember from the past.

Was it him who used to start the threads about how to get loads of packets of bacon from scotmid and they'd end up being due you money due to some strange combination of offers?

Edited by Chaka Demus & pliers

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chad Sexington

• Gregory House M.D.

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Johanes de Silentio

Was it him who used to start the threads about how to get loads of packets of bacon from scotmid and they'd end up being due you money due to some strange combination of offers?

If that is in fact true, then it's cast iron proof that kickback has gone downhill in recent years.

Guest GhostHunter

And as I said, Kickback is still good. Don't take it as a personal attack, you can't control the quality of posts.

I think it's valid to say that most of the classics broke every rule in the book and that wouldn't be allowed to happen these days. No biggy. :)

I know - I didn't take it as a personal attack, more just re-iterating the reasoning behind why threads get closed...

:thumbsup:

Sexton Hardcastle

Who was the lad who got torn a new one on more than one occasion after discussing his singing/performing career as a holiday rep. Sure it involved dressing up as characters from Toy Story.

Was there not a mug off talent show in honour of him?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

We have the rules in place for a reason, and you all agree to abide by them.

If a thread is closed, it's been closed by a moderator because one or more posts has broken the site rules.

As you say, there are other sites out there.

:thumbsup:

My only complaint is the swearing filter.

If I want to call someone a smelly ***** flap then I believe that's my right.

But rules are rules I guess

Johanes de Silentio

Who was the lad who got torn a new one on more than one occasion after discussing his singing/performing career as a holiday rep. Sure it involved dressing up as characters from Toy Story.

Was there not a mug off talent show in honour of him?

Was that the Kearney Dog fellae?

Chaka Demus & pliers

Was that the Kearney Dog fellae?

It was

See the Glasgows got talent thread in the classics

There was also his thread on whether or not he should sell his ring!

The People's Chimp

Good read this thread.

That sounds epic. Was he not always pished on cheap Cypriot wine?

That sounds epic. Was he not always pished on cheap Cypriot wine?

He went quieter after going to Cyprus, just the occasional bit of fishing.

Most of his more epic threads came when he lived here. Always good value as a poster.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I recall using the original version of JKB back in 95/96 when i was at Strathclyde, one of the 'perks' of being a postgrad was access to the maclab 24/7 so i would spend some time on there while not typing up my dissertation. I had a very weird experience on it, when one day someone posted to say that they know where i was and would i be interested in being part of a study that the Uni was conducting into internet usage, there was a fee payable and being a skint student i jumped at the chance. Was told to go to an office in the psychology building and report there. Needless to say, when i got there, the professor in that office had absolutely no idea who i was or what i was talking about. Still have no idea who it was that set me up.

Vlad-Stupid

I recall using the original version of JKB back in 95/96 when i was at Strathclyde, one of the 'perks' of being a postgrad was access to the maclab 24/7 so i would spend some time on there while not typing up my dissertation. I had a very weird experience on it, when one day someone posted to say that they know where i was and would i be interested in being part of a study that the Uni was conducting into internet usage, there was a fee payable and being a skint student i jumped at the chance. Was told to go to an office in the psychology building and report there. Needless to say, when i got there, the professor in that office had absolutely no idea who i was or what i was talking about. Still have no idea who it was that set me up.

:lol: Glad to see trolling on JKB has always been going strong

Danny Wilde

Seems like a typical 95/96 prank !

I don't recall there being even rudimentary password control on what pased for Kickback then ... and there were quite a few times when the forum was over-run by students at various unis for winds up and completely irrelevent chat !

sounds like doug when he was a lad working at hovis.

Johanes de Silentio

There was also his thread on whether or not he should sell his ring!

Sorry, what?

Sorry, what?

Check out cash my gold, worth the risk?

In the classics.

:shitwine:

He said he sat between row 35-40 of the Wheatfield. There was an outstanding drawing of his seat :rofl:

wumford.jpg

:lol:

And because it's always worth a read...

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/98418-gomess-shirt/page__p__2398840__hl__%2Bgomes+%2Bshirt__fromsearch__1#entry2398840

For those haven't read it. Get some popcorn on the go, skim through page 1, then enjoy - page 2 is where it gets juicy.

the outing of guildford was better before some of the more racey posts got, rightly, taken away.

Tommy Wiseau

Good read this thread.

Always thought he was an absolute prat of the first order. Was glad when he retired to Cyprus B)

Can I have access to JKB Purgatory plz Dexter? I must literally have books' worth of material down there :lol:

:shitwine:

Always thought he was an absolute prat of the first order. Was glad when he retired to Cyprus B)

Can I have access to JKB Purgatory plz Dexter? I must literally have books' worth of material down there :lol:

I hope the pub has somehow been archived - that was a goldmine of banter :sob:

Tommy Wiseau

It certainly was. I think at the very least the mods could have moved the Cubie thread into the Shed for the benefit of the masses :lol:

It certainly was. I think at the very least the mods could have moved the Cubie thread into the Shed for the benefit of the masses :lol:

Take it you haven't shagged her yet? :lol:

Craig Gordons Gloves

Seems like a typical 95/96 prank !

I don't recall there being even rudimentary password control on what pased for Kickback then ... and there were quite a few times when the forum was over-run by students at various unis for winds up and completely irrelevent chat !

i think you could log on as whoever you wanted if i recall it correctly. Threads would start and then go on and on for ever linked to the original. Ah, the heady days when the internet was still a vast, unexplored place....

Tommy Wiseau

Take it you haven't shagged her yet? :lol:

I'm playing the, er, long game, Beats B)

HampdenHearts

I have been viewing kickback since maybe 2006 or so and used to post under a different name till I forgot the password and e-mail address I registered with.

There have been loads of crackers but there have also been some cringey hyena-geek type ambushes on posters.

The Shawn Lawson and Therapist, walter mitty one was a beaut!

This is taken from a hard-copy email I have, dated 18th Dec 1996. A few well-kent current faces in there ... :P

These were the Kickback contributors to the 500 Club scheme we organised at that time. I'd forgotten that we requested a *minimum* amount of ?12.50 per head ... but by the end we'd raised ?625. All agreed that the extra ?125 should go to the Hearts Youth Development Fund.

I'm sure we've inevitably lost a couple of people below to the grim reaper (RIP). And many just moved on as Kickback evolved into a bigger beast. But I'm sure that many others still post here under whatever alias... Shout out if you recognise yourself or someone you know in the 1996 Kickback list !

Mark the Auckland Jambo

That would be me :)

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Guildford :vrface:.

That thread is tremendous, I was away on holiday and missed out on it all :sob:

Gregory House M.D.

P&B may be moderated better but I prefer the throbbers on this site to the throbbers over there. Also, apart from having to share the board with scummy Celtic fans, the Hearts fans that post over there are utter welts :lol:

Most of us are current or former Kickback members. Frankinstein Jambo is on P&B. He had a breakdown on it and wrote out a resignation post about how none of us were deserving of his genius postings :vrface:

The username amalgamation thread where I got my first and only warning for laughing at one of the posts...:lol::sob:

Edited by Shake Twist Stomp!

Danny Wilde

Well there you go Mark .. Got a letter right in front of me that you sent at that time ... from Milford, North Shore !

Bloody hell seems like yesterday we did all that 500 club stuff !

1338829779[/url]' post='2955450']

That would be me :)

Edited by Danny Wilde

There has been some tremendous threads on jkb since I joined in 2006; I remember the IJ thing happening, but wasn't really involved in the posting or anything much

Edited by Dandyman

Johanes de Silentio

Frankinstein Jambo is on P&B. He had a breakdown on it and wrote out a resignation post about how none of us were deserving of his genius postings :vrface:

Really? :lol:

I don't believe it's possible to top the Irvine Jambo "life and death that never was" story.

Actually I do, and it is, but I'm the only one who can tell, and I don't intend to. :ninja:

Gregory House M.D.

Really? :lol:

Yes he wrote out that the board will be a worse place without him etc.

He returned days later.

Johanes de Silentio

Yes he wrote out that the board will be a worse place without him etc.

He returned days later.

I miss him. :lol:

rossthejambo

wumford.jpg

:lol:

And because it's always worth a read...

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/98418-gomess-shirt/page__p__2398840__hl__%2Bgomes+%2Bshirt__fromsearch__1#entry2398840

For those haven't read it. Get some popcorn on the go, skim through page 1, then enjoy - page 2 is where it gets juicy.

Glorious thread :lol:

I got a warning for calling Guildford out on his trolling on the huge brainfart that was the Craig Thomson thread. Would have thought id have got a free pass/apology after his outing....:whistling:

shaun.lawson

Most of us are current or former Kickback members. Frankinstein Jambo is on P&B. He had a breakdown on it and wrote out a resignation post about how none of us were deserving of his genius postings :vrface:

Only an absolute ***** would do something like that, it must be said. :ermm:

Gregory House M.D.

If you've read that link you're not a favourite of the non-kickbackers over on P&B. One of them seems to mention you at every opportunity actually.

Alot of the good former members of here are across there. Mak rarely posts these days. Any time he's quoted his name comes up as "Mhak" don't know why. Paulo Sergio over there is Aurora Borealis/Problem Officer?

;)

You got a mention on the P&B thread too it seems. Only read the first page though, my ADHD got the better of me.

rossthejambo

:lol: No one does a farewell thread like you though Shaun.

I'm sure FJ did a farewell thread on here before he changed his name originally. Remember the burnt hands thread? :rofl:

Gregory House M.D.

:lol: No one does a farewell thread like you though Shaun.

I'm sure FJ did a farewell thread on here before he changed his name originally. Remember the burnt hands thread? :rofl:

He even gets pelters for that over there when he posts. That was an outstanding thread :rofl:

In the category of D&CCSF's scrubber thread. :lol:

Gregory House M.D.

Has anyone got a link for the thread where a group of kickbackers went along to a glasgow pub for a JKB singer in "Glasgows got talent"? I was poorless when I first read it. Think it originally started before I was here.

Danny Wilde

Who was the guy who claimed to have initiated a suicidal overdose and then came onto JKB to eh ... tell us about it.

Think it was all down to some kind of "domestic" :whistling:

Guest Alex Guttenplan

I don't believe it's possible to top the Irvine Jambo "life and death that never was" story.

Actually I do, and it is, but I'm the only one who can tell, and I don't intend to. :ninja:

:eek:

rossthejambo

Has anyone got a link for the thread where a group of kickbackers went along to a glasgow pub for a JKB singer in "Glasgows got talent"? I was poorless when I first read it. Think it originally started before I was here.

Its in the classics.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Guildford was an effective wum tbh. I got a couple infractions just because I couldn't help biting at some of his nonsense laugh.gif But after a while he started trying too hard and it was quite satisfying watching him flounder

• davemclaren locked this topic