The Kickback Diaries - A History of Jambos Kickback

scott_jambo

I know we lost Tom Wilson (Scotts brother) about 10 years ago.

Must still be a few on that list (Geoff obviously) who still post here. But like I say, it was very early days in '96 ... and then once-working class people got internet in the house a few years later, it was all downhill after that.

Just kidding !...:thumbsup:

I joined in late 90's early 2000's if I recall correctly, took a bit of a sabbatical around 2008 until 2011, due to my daughter being born and a change in job.

Was good to see reading this thread from the start, that I had been remembered though from my early days on here. :thumbsup:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chad Sexington

• Gregory House M.D.

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Johanes de Silentio

Been a member since '97 when the server was doon more than it was up! Off the top of my head, the engrossing threads over the years:-

Ruud Gullit was getting i a taxi at the Balmoral. Someone mentioned it on here, and I told the nation on Real Radio footy phone in! Loads of people fell for it!

IJ's (the REAL IJ) shaking with rage thread

Guildford Jambo being outed was another peach

I was glued to the Irvine Jambo thread too. Was up till all oors. Some sterling work from Therapist on that one!

The None / Badger / Beattie media threads went way over my heid!

:shitwine:

Guildford Jambo being outed was another peach

a modern day classic, which is still in the JKB archive :thumbsup:

The recent saga of the Wales v Belgium 1993 DVD was outstanding as well.

Tommy Wiseau

I would love to see an archive of every deleted post from this board one day :lol:

I know that the vast majority of my best posts got binned - mostly justly :lol:

Sterling Archer

I would love to see an archive of every deleted post from this board one day :lol:

My anne frank edit is gone forever

Victor Mancini

Has any of Doug's capers came up yet? I joined here in 2009 and he was quite the character....

Sometimes it was funny, sometimes boring and other times I actually felt sorry for him.

I seem to remember him briefly sobering up and his posts became more sensible/readable only for xmas to come round and he was back on it!

Got wife bud u?

Some old names coming up, I first heard Kickback around 1998 when I first became internetted, I went to a web page called Far From Gorgie, the page was started by Willie Duff. As it was U.S based I asked if he had ever heard of a man with the same name, his instant response, thats my Dad. I was able to talk to Bill senior whom I had been good friends with in school days. I then went on to Kickback and have been addicted to it in its many forms since. David Gillespie was a character, so was a guy named Sigmund. He could really upset the wee team fans who came on the forum, sadly he died under tragic circumstances. It was good in the early days. Its still good but different, threads like the one today dealing in swimming pools, racism, are too much for me to translate. I am never sure if it is genuine opinion or just an attempt to troll. It can at times be amusing, but when it becomes nasty and insulting the interest for me wanes.

Guest GhostHunter

Sometimes, when I'm bored - I'll go through the Kickback Purgatory forum. This is where *your* posts mainly sit nowadays

:lol:

Anyway - my meltdown thread that resulted in some severe collateral damage - still ranks up there.

"You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry"

How did that Gyildford jambo get Outed in the end?

The artist currently known as I Just Came To Say Kello set the trap by asking if he sat in row 40 of the Wheatfield stand, and WUMford fell right into it.

"I won't disclose my exact location, but it is between rows 35-40."

His back-pedalling by saying that he oesnt know his row, and that he just counts backwards from the top was just more fuel to the fire.

Sometimes, when I'm bored - I'll go through the Kickback Purgatory forum. This is where *your* posts mainly sit nowad

99478978.png

Gregory House M.D.

How did that Gyildford jambo get Outed in the end?

He said he sat between row 35-40 of the Wheatfield. There was an outstanding drawing of his seat :rofl:

Snake Plissken

Many wonderful posts in The Pub are gone forever :sob:

Many wonderful posts in The Pub are gone forever :sob:

I really liked The Pub. Ok, there were a few times it went a bit over the top but there were some man sized rippings dished out and in general nobody got too offended. Why was it stopped?

Hahah funny

Where is this drawing to be found?

I have it on my computer - I'll upload when I get home, if someone doesn't post it by then.

Ray Winstone

Some of the excellent reads ended up in the (predictable) banning of various posters....

I may try to resurrect the Facebook thread in the Shed (as long as the usual tossers don't come along and ruin it like last time). Just had a friend announce on FB that her husband had decided to stop his chemo because it was not going to help, and along with 50 replies, there are 2 "Likes" (WTF?).

Resurrect 'my' Facebook thread(s)... :verysmug:

There were actually two started...but they both got the same treatment in the end :sob:

Edited by Ray Winstone

scott herbertson

Some old names coming up, I first heard Kickback around 1998 when I first became internetted, I went to a web page called Far From Gorgie, the page was started by Willie Duff. As it was U.S based I asked if he had ever heard of a man with the same name, his instant response, thats my Dad. I was able to talk to Bill senior whom I had been good friends with in school days. I then went on to Kickback and have been addicted to it in its many forms since. David Gillespie was a character, so was a guy named Sigmund. He could really upset the wee team fans who came on the forum, sadly he died under tragic circumstances. It was good in the early days. Its still good but different, threads like the one today dealing in swimming pools, racism, are too much for me to translate. I am never sure if it is genuine opinion or just an attempt to troll. It can at times be amusing, but when it becomes nasty and insulting the interest for me wanes.

I still have my 'Far from Gorgie' T shirt in a box somewhere - it travelled to many a European game with me until I got too fat to get into it..

IIRC I had to send a money order to the US to get it - no paypal in those days!

Edited by scott herbertson

Johanes de Silentio

In other news, it would seem that the post cup final bonhomie has bit the dust, and normal Kickback shitepoking has resumed.

We had a tiny glimpse of Kickback Utopia for a wee while there...

and I liked it. :(

:sob:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

In other news, it would seem that the post cup final bonhomie has bit the dust, and normal Kickback shitepoking has resumed.

Yeah, but if that was the status quo then we'd have had no IJ, no Davey Temple, no score angels, no Juve etc.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Who wants that? It's the best thing about this place when it's allowed to flourish. If it was just people back slapping each other and discussing tactics, line-ups and transfer targets this place would die.

Who wants that? It's the best thing about this place when it's allowed to flourish. If it was just people back slapping each other and discussing tactics, line-ups and transfer targets this place would die.

couldn't agree more. it's the pointless bickering, wummery and irreverent crazyman stuff on here that makes the board. it's almost impossible to prove but i highly doubt there's a better football team forum than this one.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

couldn't agree more. it's the pointless bickering, wummery and irreverent crazyman stuff on here that makes the board. it's almost impossible to prove but i highly doubt there's a better football team forum than this one.

Pie and Bovril is better these days tbh.

Any sign of a good thread on here is closed within 2 pages now.

probably also true. there could be a bit more licence given but i suppose the admins and mods have their reasons.

i hate missing locked threads. :verymad:

Chad Sexington

I tried there the other day...I couldn't get passed the Celtic fans. :(

probably also true. there could be a bit more licence given but i suppose the admins and mods have their reasons.

i hate missing locked threads. :verymad:

Don't get me wrong, Kickback is still good, just the mods have the destroying of simpletons on lock down.

I tried there the other day...I couldn't get passed the Celtic fans. :(

Someone somehow had a picture of one of the main timothy's on there and posted it the other day, he was repulsive and got utterly destroyed. :lol:

The People's Chimp

Agree there should be a little less of the thread closing and post removing. I doubt many of the classics would have been achieved nowadays. Mind you, the first sign of a potential classic becoming a damp squib is the "This thread is going into the classics..." post on the first page. Guaranteed flop after that.

Guest GhostHunter

We have the rules in place for a reason, and you all agree to abide by them.

If a thread is closed, it's been closed by a moderator because one or more posts has broken the site rules.

As you say, there are other sites out there.

:thumbsup:

Vlad-Stupid

P&B may be moderated better but I prefer the throbbers on this site to the throbbers over there. Also, apart from having to share the board with scummy Celtic fans, the Hearts fans that post over there are utter welts :lol:

Edited by Deal With It

Guest GhostHunter

P&B may be moderated better but I prefer the throbbers on this site to the throbbers over there. Also, apart from having to share the board with scummy Celtic fans, the Hearts fans that post over there are utter welts :lol:

Criticism of the moderators, is infractionable you know.

:whistling:

Randle P McMurphy

This is taken from a hard-copy email I have, dated 18th Dec 1996. A few well-kent current faces in there ... :P

These were the Kickback contributors to the 500 Club scheme we organised at that time. I'd forgotten that we requested a *minimum* amount of ?12.50 per head ... but by the end we'd raised ?625. All agreed that the extra ?125 should go to the Hearts Youth Development Fund.

I'm sure we've inevitably lost a couple of people below to the grim reaper (RIP). And many just moved on as Kickback evolved into a bigger beast. But I'm sure that many others still post here under whatever alias... Shout out if you recognise yourself or someone you know in the 1996 Kickback list !

Douglas Ross

Sean Carriere

Scott Wilson

Pamela Bridges

Murray Forbes

Tom Pike

Graham Robertson

Joel Warren

Paul Cowan

Chris Griffith

Frank Young

Eric Burns

Mark the Auckland Jambo

Paul Martin (me)

Scottie (s_ziggy_leslie)

Gordon Lawless

Kenny Sargent

Ray Adams

Jim Cockburn

Tom Wilson

Roddy Forfar

Brian Shaw

Geoff Kilpatrick (some studenty bloke with a Heriot-Watt email address...)

Peter Sharwood-Smith

Martin Cunningham

Chris Smith

Bob Pringle

Martin McLaren

Grant Thorburn

Tom Coyle

Andrew Quinn

Norman Douglas

Mike Ritchie

Lilian Cooper

Andrew Collin

Sandy Fisken

Grant still posts on here occasionally, I think he is called something like clackmanan jambo

The People's Chimp

There is a power of wallopers on PnB. Harrowing.

Chad Sexington

Someone somehow had a picture of one of the main timothy's on there and posted it the other day, he was repulsive and got utterly destroyed. :lol:

Now I would have liked to have been in on that :lol:

The moment of truth went something like this:

"I've played against this guy in six-a-sides in Edinburgh and I can confirm that he's absolute gash. There's no way he ever played for Carlisle."

What developed from there was a thing of beauty

think it started with trying to raise a team and he come on and said he played wi carlisle,

sooperstar says he played wi the guy with gorgie hearts,( well being with gorgie since the beginning i was interested in this) and in this one game he beat an opponent and stopped and looked at the touchline as if to say "what about that then" when the opponent took the ball right off him,the touchline/players and me being the ref in this game,litterly fell about laughing, the game was against edinburgh deaf school if i remember correctly,

the guy never started or finished a whole game for gorgie hearts in all the years of gorgie hearts

Tiberius Stinkfinger

oh good. fodithmann is here now.

Victorian, the Scottish Ping Pong Champion, how are you dear fellow ??

302974_10150328373779032_6732359031_7942252_199071875_n.jpg

Johanes de Silentio

oh good. fodithmann is here now.

So, do you guys know each other, then? :smuggy:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

So, do you guys know each other, then? :smuggy:

I know loads of people that post on JKB.

I don't know him !

Johanes de Silentio

I know loads of people that post on JKB.

I don't know him !

Would you like to know him?

We have the rules in place for a reason, and you all agree to abide by them.

If a thread is closed, it's been closed by a moderator because one or more posts has broken the site rules.

As you say, there are other sites out there.

:thumbsup:

And as I said, Kickback is still good. Don't take it as a personal attack, you can't control the quality of posts.

I think it's valid to say that most of the classics broke every rule in the book and that wouldn't be allowed to happen these days. No biggy. :)

• davemclaren locked this topic