Where is this?

jambogaz1968

Yes - point to redjambo - but deducted for correcting my mistake! Yes you're correct it was #1.

Well for a fleeting moment I had that point, and that'll do me. :)

LB, this is a cracker of a "Where is this?" I tried to find that location last night but it's proving mighty difficult. Can you tell me if I'm barking not necessarily up the right tree but at least in the right park?

The writing is frustrating only just unreadable. However, it looks as if it could be Spanish to me. The word on the top row may be "Espa?a", and the longer word on the third line "civilizaci?nes" or similar. The Roman numerals at the bottom might say 1810-1910.

Also, the woman on her knees in the relief sculpture may indicate secession or independence, or the desire therefore. I have to say that I only just stopped myself from googling images for "relief woman knees".

There were several countries, or areas of countries, in South America that declared independence in 1810, or at least took great strides towards it, including Venezuela, parts of Colombia, Chile.

So, would the monument be one in South America celebrating the 100th anniversary of some independence-related event?

luckyBatistuta

LB, this is a cracker of a "Where is this?" I tried to find that location last night but it's proving mighty difficult. Can you tell me if I'm barking not necessarily up the right tree but at least in the right park?

The writing is frustrating only just unreadable. However, it looks as if it could be Spanish to me. The word on the top row may be "Espa?a", and the longer word on the third line "civilizaci?nes" or similar. The Roman numerals at the bottom might say 1810-1910.

Also, the woman on her knees in the relief sculpture may indicate secession or independence, or the desire therefore. I have to say that I only just stopped myself from googling images for "relief woman knees".

There were several countries, or areas of countries, in South America that declared independence in 1810, or at least took great strides towards it, including Venezuela, parts of Colombia, Chile.

So, would the monument be one in South America celebrating the 100th anniversary of some independence-related event?

Your one helluva detective, saying no more :wink:

Your one helluva detective, saying no more :wink:

Can't figure out if being sarcastic or not. ;)

Ok, I'll carry on along those lines. Cheers.

luckyBatistuta

Can't figure out if being sarcastic or not. ;)

Ok, I'll carry on along those lines. Cheers.

Sorry mate, not being sarcastic. Your doing some stellar work there. :thumb:

luckyBatistuta

Buenos Aires?

It is the...Monumento a Espa?a (Buenos Aires)

Point to Mark_Mywords

Honourable mention to redjambo who I reckon laid the foundations to getting this

Point to Mark_Mywords

Honourable mention to redjambo who I reckon laid the foundations to getting this

Nice one, Mark_Mywords. :)

It's nice to see the monument (and the words!) in good detail. I wasn't too far off, just needed better Google-fu.

luckyBatistuta

Where is this?

IMG_3599.jpg

Don't know if anyone saw that :lol:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Florence?

Edit: I should have updated the thread before posting. :D

Edited by redjambo

Mark_Mywords

Point to Mark_Mywords

To be honest, that was just a complete guess.  I stumbled upon another monument in Buenos Aires that had some similarities to the one that we were looking for.

Go on, give the point to redjambo. :)

luckyBatistuta

To be honest, that was just a complete guess.  I stumbled upon another monument in Buenos Aires that had some similarities to the one that we were looking for.

I was tempted too as he had worked out so much of it. If he had said Argentina in the list of countries he put, I would have said he could have the point for all his effort.

luckyBatistuta

I will only be able to answer your posts for the next 20mins then I'm off on the golf course, so quick...tick-tock

I was tempted too as he had worked out so much of it. If he had said Argentina in the list of countries he put, I would have said he could have the point for all his effort.

No thanks, MMW, it's all yours :). It was fun trying to find it anyway.

I will only be able to answer your posts for the next 20mins then I'm off on the golf course, so quick...tick-tock

Ok, in that case, a long shot: some museum in Melbourne, Australia.

deesidejambo

It's the MINT Museum of Toys in Singapore.

Had to get it through the cr?pes place in the end.

How.

The ****.

Do you know all these places?

I haven't a scooby.

How.

The ****.

Do you know all these places?

I haven't a scooby.

Don't worry, Deeside, I normally don't know the places on this thread (except on the odd occasion). I just like the fun of trying to work out from the image what to Google to find it, as I imagine others do too. That image of the Museum of Toys had a cr?perie, a Wellness Spa, a couple of street numbers, a phone number on the "Space for Rent" ad, and of course some architecture (which didn't help me at all this time). Also, although it is becoming less and less the case nowadays, given that the signs were in English the country would probably be either English-speaking or have strong internationalism/tourism. There may have been other things too that I missed.

I went up a lot of dead ends before I got on the right track. That Space for Rent phone number, for example, is in a format you might expect to see in Australia, so I googled a fair number of "museum Adelaide" etc.

In the end, searching on Google Images for "Authentic French Crepes" (with quotes) returns, a wee bit down the page, an image of the front of the shop that corresponds with LB's photo and is to be found on a Japanese & Singapore dairy and cream food blog which lists the shop as being at 27 Seah Street, Singapore. So then a search for "museum Singapore 26 Seah Street" returns the MINT Museum of Toys.

luckyBatistuta

It's the MINT Museum of Toys in Singapore.

Had to get it through the cr?pes place in the end.

Don't worry, Deeside, I normally don't know the places on this thread (except on the odd occasion). I just like the fun of trying to work out from the image what to Google to find it, as I imagine others do too. That image of the Museum of Toys had a cr?perie, a Wellness Spa, a couple of street numbers, a phone number on the "Space for Rent" ad, and of course some architecture (which didn't help me at all this time). Also, although it is becoming less and less the case nowadays, given that the signs were in English the country would probably be either English-speaking or have strong internationalism/tourism. There may have been other things too that I missed.

I went up a lot of dead ends before I got on the right track. That Space for Rent phone number, for example, is in a format you might expect to see in Australia, so I googled a fair number of "museum Adelaide" etc.

In the end, searching on Google Images for "Authentic French Crepes" (with quotes) returns, a wee bit down the page, an image of the front of the shop that corresponds with LB's photo and is to be found on a Japanese & Singapore dairy and cream food blog which lists the shop as being at 27 Seah Street, Singapore. So then a search for "museum Singapore 26 Seah Street" returns the MINT Museum of Toys.

Point to redjambo, great stuff bud.

I deliberately left in the French crepes place to try and throw you off. I left the phone number in so that you could maybe try and get it through that. Also left in the Museum so that you had a starting point, but just left the Wellness Spa in as I didn't think that would help.

IMG_3601.jpg

Point to redjambo, great stuff bud.

I deliberately left in the French crepes place to try and throw you off. I left the phone number in so that you could maybe try and get it through that. Also left in the Museum so that you had a starting point, but just left the Wellness Spa in as I didn't think that would help.

Given that, for me anyway, it was the only clue that led me anywhere, could you deliberately leave in more stuff to throw us off the scent in future. ;)

You did well to scrub out the "Yomi" - it takes you straight there.

Thanks by the way for taking the time to edit and post these. They certainly keep the old grey matter flowing! :)

luckyBatistuta

Given that, for me anyway, it was the only clue that led me anywhere, could you deliberately leave in more stuff to throw us off the scent in future. ;)

You did well to scrub out the "Yomi" - it takes you straight there.

Thanks by the way for taking the time to edit and post these. They certainly keep the old grey matter flowing! :)

Here's another

IMG_3604.jpg

No idea where that is :lol: but nope :smile:

The Cook Islands, South Pacific. I spelled it wrong - it should be Rarotonga. Oh well, let's try some more...

luckyBatistuta

The Cook Islands, South Pacific. I spelled it wrong - it should be Rarotonga. Oh well, let's try some more...

Nope

Bora Bora it is

Point to redjambo

:verysmug:

With that reef and lagoon, and the ridge of those mountains, it had to be a volcanic island, most probably South Pacific. There's a reasonable settlement down at the water there so it was probably a tourist destination. I first went with the only one I've actually visited, Rarotonga (I've been to Tahiti too but just Papeete), and then thought I would give Bora-Bora a go. If that was going to be wrong, I was going to go for Moorea and then leave it to someone else (didn't want to hog the thread). Having my celebratory whisky as we speak...