**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Peterson to Cardinals should mean the required touches he's after!

Just saw that on NFL Network, definitely a better chance of getting something going now.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, Boof said:

A rules question...

If a defensive team intercepts a pass...are they allowed to pass forward from the hand? And if so, anywhere? Or only up to the line of scrimmage? 

I'm only guessing, but pretty sure they can't pass forward at all after intercepting a pass.  Willing to stand corrected and learn something new each day if someone knows the rules better. What makes you ask?

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What makes you ask?

Nothing other than curiosity - I'm always looking out for rule-quirks in all sorts of sports :lol:

I just thought that a defending team wouldn't have a dedicated passer on the field but might have someone willing to give it a go if was an all-or-nothing situation if they were permitted to do so. It's maybe one of those simple answers that everyone knows - just not me.

6 hours ago, Boof said:

A rules question...

If a defensive team intercepts a pass...are they allowed to pass forward from the hand? And if so, anywhere? Or only up to the line of scrimmage? 

No, forward passes are specifically for the offense behind the line of scrimmage, and can only be done once. On an interception, the rules are effectively the same as on a kick return or an offensive player after crossing the line of scrimmage.

Laterals (sideways or backwards passes) are of course allowed, which has led to some of the great last-second plays in history.

Brilliant - question well and truly answered. That'll be why I've never seen it happen :lol:

As a (former) rugby player, I'd have to say I feel the lateral pass is woefully underused.

How about kicking the ball ahead of the line of scrimmage?

I appreciate possession is key but think there could be some situations where it might work.

Edited by Boof
Thought of a part 2 to the question...

7 minutes ago, Boof said:

Brilliant - question well and truly answered. That'll be why I've never seen it happen :lol:

As a (former) rugby player, I'd have to say I feel the lateral pass is woefully underused.

I appreciate possession is key but think there could be some situations where it might work.

No, they couldn’t kick it. 

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

No, they couldn’t kick it. 

Aww - a welly upfield for the speedy guys to chase after a fumble could be most interesting :lol:

Is it a penalty, then, if someone even accidentally kicks the ball after a fumble? 

13 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I'm obviously hoping it was just a reaction to a horrible performance, though I agree about after this year. He hasn't looked the same even going back to parts of last season and I'm wondering if the "hunger" is still there.

I think you're right. Everyone always tips the Steelers but there's just been something not right over the past 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, Boof said:

Aww - a welly upfield for the speedy guys to chase after a fumble could be most interesting :lol:

Is it a penalty, then, if someone even accidentally kicks the ball after a fumble? 

Yes, that team is penalised. 

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Yes, that team is penalised. 

Cheers, Peebo. 

Bit of a sore one for a FOOTballer to be penalised for playing the ball with the foot :lol:

6 hours ago, Boof said:

The problem is largely that in football, because of the importance of blocking, the ball carrier is often the player furthest upfield.  Because of that, if a lateral goes badly, all a defender has to do is scoop the ball up and take off running and it's a footrace to the endzone.

Because I know folks on here are largely exposed to American football through the NFL, I'll mention that in college football, "option" offenses which involve lateral pitches are far more common. These are harder to pull off in the NFL because all the defenders who aren't linesmen are freakishly fast and the space that option offenses open for you close down very quickly.  Carolina runs these occasionally because they have Cam Newton who is a legitimate running threat who's hard to tackle, but even they don't run it all that often.

A backwards lateral is a key part of one of the great football trick plays, the "flea flicker" (no I don't know why it's called that) where the quarterback hands off to the running back, who runs towards the line like he's going to run but stops short of it, turns around, and flips it back to the quarterback, who throws a downfield pass.

(Note that a couple of those aren't actually flea flickers, but are halfback or receiver passes, which are slightly different.)

One of the really underused rugby-like plays in football IMO is the quick kick.  There's nothing that says you can only punt on fourth down, and particularly in games where the defenses are strong and field position is really important, sometimes a team will get into a third and 17 or something like that.  The chances of actually getting the first down against a good defense in those situations is really low.  It's seen as "giving up" on the offense so coaches don't like to do it, but if you have an offensive player on your team who can punt somewhat directionally, you can line them up behind the quarterback, who can take a step towards the sideline like he's getting a change to the play, then snap it to the designated kicker. A rugby-style punt is required because it has to be fast, but it's not hard to put it over the head of the defense.  Here's an old play where they did it on fourth and inches, but I really think teams could pin opponents deep on third and long more often.

luckyBatistuta

Josh Gordon reportedly plans to file for reinstatement. Hopefully he has turned it around, sad to see such a waste of talent. 

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Sexton Hardcastle

Not strictly NFL related but Juventus are doing a hard knocks style pre season series for Netflix.

pretty amazing that UEFA or EPL haven't tapped into the NFL films style of production. 

22 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Zeke gone. Again.

Now there is one absolute ***** for which I’d give Trump some respect if he was to call him a SOB that should be fired. 

luckyBatistuta

there's a chance Elliott might not miss a single game if the NFLPA refiles the case and is granted a TRO or preliminary injunction.

Elliott and the NFLPA have other legal options as well. They could seek an en banc hearing with the 5th Circuit or refile the case in Texas, according to Feldman.

I'm sure no one in Scotland is up watching this but when he's not insulting female reporters, Cam is a hell of a player.

Carolina D-line looking dangerous again too. 3 sacks on Wentz and it's only 20 minutes into the game.

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Brilliant work from Eagles D there

Game breaking play.

I thought Carolina might just hold on that but kudos to Wentz -- after taking on a linebacker straight up he came back in and delivered the TD throw.  If I was Carolina's D-coordinator, I would have been telling them, "make Wentz beat us with his arm after he took that pop." Did just that.

19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Watching, good battle. Loving Romo in his new job, great knowledge.

"Tony Romo is really good at his job and I'm enjoying it" are not words I'm used to thinking but I agree.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

"Tony Romo is really good at his job and I'm enjoying it" are not words I'm used to thinking but I agree.

Can't say I was getting overly excited about him in the job, but I really do think he brings a lot to the overall enjoyment of watching a game.

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Definite touchdown, what a crock

No angle that was going to overturn it though. If they'd had an overhead view it would have been though.

Loss of timeout hurts but I think Rivera was happy to have Cam get a breather and a little attention after taking that fall.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Eagles are looking like the real deal.

Getting excited about them this season.

Long time since they have been 5-1 after week 6

Getting excited about the Eagles too. Moved to Philly last year and got right into all the teams here.

I thought the refs were absolutely horrendous last night, calling the Eagles for some BS holding and pass intereference calls and nothing the other way. And that's without even mentioning LeGarret Blount being called for unnecessary roughness for blocking and then receiving no protection after being thrown to the ground long after the whistle on a later play.

Wentz is quality.

Hard to overcome two turnovers in your own endzone. The last interception was horrendous but the first two weren't Cam's fault at all.

Good game overall. As I said, the Panthers desperately miss Olsen.

luckyBatistuta

This happened at the game on Thursday night. The old guy kept asking the younger guy to sit down throughout the game. Here's hoping they catch the guy, bang out of order. Hope he gets banned.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

This happened at the game on Thursday night. The old guy kept asking the younger guy to sit down throughout the game. Here's hoping they catch the guy, bang out of order. Hope he gets banned.

He was arrested on Friday. 

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Peebo said:

He was arrested on Friday. 

Glad to hear it, don't want to see that nonsense at the NFL games.

Some game in New Orleans, now 45-38 with 6 mins left after the Saints had a 24 point lead and everyone thought the game was over.

Oh, and great win Miami!!