Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson
imperious. 5 unforced errors in a grand slam match, surely unheard of.

that form is plenty enough to get to the final, federer obviously being a whole different prospect.

At present, I fully expect him to get to the semis, taking revenge against Gonzalez for what happened in Paris en route. I get the feeling the semi, probably against Roddick, is going to be a real thriller though, and will probably go five long sets.

At present, I fully expect him to get to the semis, taking revenge against Gonzalez for what happened in Paris en route. I get the feeling the semi, probably against Roddick, is going to be a real thriller though, and will probably go five long sets.

murray has always had the measure of roddick, although roddick is having a bit of a purple patch. he would obviously be dangerous.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Changed your tune since you came out with this!

And on the strength of that performance, one thing neither Roger Federer, Andy Roddick or even Fernando Gonzalez will be doing is shaking with fear.

:D

Shaun, you also said Gulbis would be a danger.

GIRUY

Only joking

shaun.lawson
Changed your tune since you came out with this!

On his first round performance, they certainly wouldn't have been. Now, metaphorically speaking of course, Gonzalez will be, Roddick could be; Federer won't be.

shaun.lawson
Shaun, you also said Gulbis would be a danger.

GIRUY

Only joking

If I get the big picture right - that Murray breaks his duck in New York later this summer - I'll be happy enough. :smiley2:

chester copperpot
:D so that's why he's talking a good game in the interview.

Yip, think's he can coach the world with his blast at all the other tennis players.

Yip, think's he can coach the world with his blast at all the other tennis players.

by burning ambition this year is to see murray arguing with the umpire and saying "apologies for having an opinion... do feel free to show where i said it was out".

shaun.lawson
murray has always had the measure of roddick, although roddick is having a bit of a purple patch. he would obviously be dangerous.

Murray's certainly a better player than Roddick overall: he's far more versatile and has far more weapons. I'd essentially written Roddick off until recently. But he's playing very well now, and what concerns me is the courts are playing a bit more like how they once did: favouring huge servers rather than baseliners, especially if it stays hot over the rest of the fortnight.

Roddick seems very relaxed, and knows it's now or never for him as far as this event goes. His grass court record demands respect, and he's certainly dangerous: particularly if the public and press start assuming Murray should cruise into the final. Of course, A Rod has to get past Hewitt first: which if it happens, will also be quite a match.

Chad Sexington
come on anybody playing against andy murray, pump that hobo mickey weir loving tramp right out the tourny!!:10900:

article-0-02783BC900000578-7_468x366.jpg

I P Knightley
I wonder what 3inabed will have to say about Murrays performance today :2thumbsup:

He won't understand it. There were two blokes playing tennis.

shaun.lawson
article-0-02783BC900000578-7_468x366.jpg

That pic's from the US Open, of course. I was watching footage of his final against Federer last night: I swear he's bulked up a fair bit since, having already done huge amounts of work in the couple of years prior to that. When he and Federer shook hands at the net, he looked kinda puny, still something of a boy against a man. It's changing though, no question about it.

chester copperpot
by burning ambition this year is to see murray arguing with the umpire and saying "apologies for having an opinion... do feel free to show where i said it was out".

:rofl:

Murray's certainly a better player than Roddick overall: he's far more versatile and has far more weapons. I'd essentially written Roddick off until recently. But he's playing very well now, and what concerns me is the courts are playing a bit more like how they once did: favouring huge servers rather than baseliners, especially if it stays hot over the rest of the fortnight.

Roddick seems very relaxed, and knows it's now or never for him as far as this event goes. His grass court record demands respect, and he's certainly dangerous: particularly if the public and press start assuming Murray should cruise into the final. Of course, A Rod has to get past Hewitt first: which if it happens, will also be quite a match.

there's usually a dangerous floater veteran player about who can take a bit of stopping. in fairly recent years there's been ivanisevic unseeded, as was safin a couple of times. hewitt could be this year's dark horse.

i watched the querrey vs cilic match the other night and cilic looks to be another handful. is he in murray's half?

I P Knightley

That's quite an impressive ambition to have :biglaugh:

That's quite an impressive ambition to have :biglaugh:

it's the way they're coached on the courts of North Berwick.

shaun.lawson
there's usually a dangerous floater veteran player about who can take a bit of stopping. in fairly recent years there's been ivanisevic unseeded, as was safin a couple of times. hewitt could be this year's dark horse.

i watched the querrey vs cilic match the other night and cilic looks to be another handful. is he in murray's half?

He's not. Murray's half is definitely the weaker one: it's hard to see anyone other than him, Gonzalez, Roddick and Hewitt making the quarters from that section. But in the bottom half, Cilic's meeting with Tommy Haas looms as probably the tie of the third round, and the winner of that will probably face Djokovic in the last eight. Federer, meanwhile, won't have a walk in the park against Soderling in the last 16, or any of Tsonga, Verdasco or Karlovic in the quarters.

If you ask me, Murray's is the best draw of the lot, and bodes very well for him.

Very comfortable from Murray today and he showed today why he's the third best player in the world. Served incredibly well.

Looks like he'll play a clay courter in the next round and with probably Wawrinka in the fourth round, it should be relatively easy until the quarters.

Delighted to see Hewitt beat Del Potro and I'm still hoping for a match between him and Roddick in the quarters.

chester copperpot
Very comfortable from Murray today and he showed today why he's the third best player in the world. Served incredibly well.

Looks like he'll play a clay courter in the next round and with probably Wawrinka in the fourth round, it should be relatively easy until the quarters.

Delighted to see Hewitt beat Del Potro and I'm still hoping for a match between him and Roddick in the quarters.

Murray for Wimbledon. FACT. END OFF.

Feck off.

chester copperpot
And the feck off is for what?

Was just kidding mate, I will be gambling against Murray next round.

Denny Crane

And also: "Thank you for your co-operation".

Was just kidding mate, I will be gambling against Murray next round.

No worries. Keep doing what you are doing because it's working. Some of us will chip in to refund you if he wins it :2thumbsup:

The Spanish dude is 4-2 up in the final set so you'll get massive odds on him.

come on anybody playing against andy murray, pump that hobo mickey weir loving tramp right out the tourny!!:10900:

why do you hate Barcelona fans so much? :confused:

Sexton Hardcastle

Igor Andreev - Lucky boy

Mixed doubles partner for Kirilenko.

Hopefully he turns out to be able to play tennis and keep this fox in the tournement.

Federer strolling through his game and Soderling won his game. Do they two meet in the next round? Will be the first challenge for Fed.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Federer strolling through his game and Soderling won his game. Do they two meet in the next round? Will be the first challenge for Fed.

I think they do, but Fed will stroll that too IMO.

Soderling is having a good spell but is nowhere near good enough to trouble Federer on grass.

I think they do, but Fed will stroll that too IMO.

Soderling is having a good spell but is nowhere near good enough to trouble Federer on grass.

Aye, no doubt about it. Might make him break a sweat though!

I've got a wee double on Soderling and Tsonga for a bit of interest. Tennis odds are a joke though. Federer was 1/50!

Will be interesting to see how Soderling does this time but can't see it being a lot closer, although he might take a set.

No surprise that Tsonga and Karlovic have played two tiebreaks already, if it goes to a fifth set it'll probably go to about 17-15.

Think Fish might cause an upset today by knocking out Djokovic.

I saw Terry Wogan's contribution from Wimbledon this evening and found his smug and condescending comments about Andy Murray's 'improved demeanor' to be repulsive.

So let me get this straight. In order to be accepted, Andy must become a fawning, preening, arse licking and lickspittle establishment creep in the likeness of Mr Terry (I used to be Irish and am now an English establishment lackie crawler) Wogan.

Andy is where he is today because he has done it his way and effectively put two fingers up to the LTA, Pims soaked, Home Counties, Royalist, sycophantic brigade. He is his own man, Mr Wogan, and does not need anyone, not least you, to tell him how to carry himself - more power to his Caledonian elbow!

shaun.lawson
I saw Terry Wogan's contribution from Wimbledon this evening and found his smug and condescending comments about Andy Murray's 'improved demeanor' to be repulsive.

So let me get this straight. In order to be accepted, Andy must become a fawning, preening, arse licking and lickspittle establishment creep in the likeness of Mr Terry (I used to be Irish and am now an English establishment lackie crawler) Wogan.

Andy is where he is today because he has done it his way and effectively put two fingers up to the LTA, Pims soaked, Home Counties, Royalist, sycophantic brigade. He is his own man, Mr Wogan, and does not need anyone, not least you, to tell him how to carry himself - more power to his Caledonian elbow!

Andy Murray's demeanour has improved - and you need to lose that very obvious chip on your shoulder you have about the English! ;)

However... as I'm English myself, hopefully I'm qualified to say the following. Many of the 'fans' at Wimbledon are jumped up, up their own arses, Pims drinking embarrassments. Their attempts at chants during matches are cringeworthy; and they wouldn't know either genuine humour ("Come on Tim!", they shout during a Murray match. How funny...) or a hostile atmosphere if it smacked them round the face.

Once we get into the second week, when it's no longer possible for the lumpen proletariat to get their hands on tickets for singles matches, these idiots can be relied upon to be away scoffing strawberries and champagne when the quarter-finals and semi-finals start: meaning Centre Court is left about half empty. The Ivanisevic-Rafter final showed what's possible when real fans are able to attend; but no, we can't have that. We have a reputation to uphold, after all...

Henman Hill, Murray Mound and, before long, Robson's Ridge (oooh matron!) are pretty nauseating too - especially the voxpops given to grinning BBC reporters. All this is no doubt the reason Murray prefers the US Open: the players are traditionally treated appallingly there, but at least the fans are genuinely vocal.

I P Knightley
Henman Hill, Murray Mound and, before long, Robson's Ridge (oooh matron!) are pretty nauseating too - especially the voxpops given to grinning BBC reporters. All this is no doubt the reason Murray prefers the US Open: the players are traditionally treated appallingly there, but at least the fans are genuinely vocal.

Robson's Rump?

Andy Murray's demeanour has improved - and you need to lose that very obvious chip on your shoulder you have about the English! ;)

However... as I'm English myself, hopefully I'm qualified to say the following. Many of the 'fans' at Wimbledon are jumped up, up their own arses, Pims drinking embarrassments. Their attempts at chants during matches are cringeworthy; and they wouldn't know either genuine humour ("Come on Tim!", they shout during a Murray match. How funny...) or a hostile atmosphere if it smacked them round the face.

Once we get into the second week, when it's no longer possible for the lumpen proletariat to get their hands on tickets for singles matches, these idiots can be relied upon to be away scoffing strawberries and champagne when the quarter-finals and semi-finals start: meaning Centre Court is left about half empty. The Ivanisevic-Rafter final showed what's possible when real fans are able to attend; but no, we can't have that. We have a reputation to uphold, after all...

SL, I agree with both you and Billco, and think that the reason AM's got there has nothing to do with the establishment, just the good old-fashioned way of staying focused on the prize, and being a grumpy git when it suits him - the fact that he had a parent who knew how to use a tennis racket obviously helped, but I remain hopeful that he can become the first Brit to win it for 70 odd years - saw/heard some local youngsters being interviewed by Pam Shriver, asked what they thought about AM, and they said they didn't like him because he isn't English! Now, THAT is being rascist! (they call themselves British, so will obviously take no pride in any potential glory).

I hope he wins it.

Sheriff Fatman
Henman Hill, Murray Mound and, before long, Robson's Ridge (oooh matron!)

It's called Murray Field now.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Shaun, I may think your posts on the biggest thread on the Shed to be complete bunkum but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

As does Des Kelly in The Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1195860/Breaking-news-tennis-useless.html

shaun.lawson
Shaun, I may think your posts on the biggest thread on the Shed to be complete bunkum but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

As does Des Kelly in The Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1195860/Breaking-news-tennis-useless.html

It's not often I agree with a Daily Mail writer, but he's spot on. Quite why we expect players ranked outside the top 200 to defeat genuinely strong opponents has always been beyond me - especially given the complete lack of tennis culture in this country.

I imagine a fair few people on here have been to Wimbledon. The club itself is gorgeous, and the absolute business - but it's also scandalously overpriced, treats the public like idiots, and quite incredibly backward in its outlook. Good grief: until only a few years back, they didn't even provide refunds for an entire day's play being washed out; and it's ludicrous it's taken them this long to build a roof on Centre Court.

In 2001, after the AELTC and BBC combined to destroy Britain's best chance of winning the men's singles since before the war, an American journalist asked Alan Mills why, given the weather forecast for the Saturday had been fine at first, wet in the afternoon, they hadn't resumed the Henman-Ivanisevic semi early. Mills paused: he didn't know what to say. "Good question", he finally responded - then fell silent. That year, with the weather making havoc of the draw, Wimbledon were still starting play at 2pm every day: only for bad light to often curtail proceedings with an hour still scheduled!

Mind you, even with the roof, I still think Wimbledon isn't scheduled correctly anyway. There's loads of anomalies with the Grand Slam calendar. Australia is played too early in the year, at a time players aren't fully up to speed yet and often in horrendous heat. Then there's a huge gap to the French, then an insanely small one to Wimbledon. Two surfaces at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and a 'grass court season' encompassing two tournaments; and alarmingly often, the second week in SW19 is affected by rain.

So why not move the Aussie Open back a few weeks to, say, mid-February? Keep the French where it is, but move Wimbledon back to the final two weeks of July; then move the US Open back about a fortnight to mid-September. All you'd need is a couple more grass court events prior to the big one, which must be possible somewhere like Holland or Germany, surely? As it is, it makes zero sense that the game's blue riband event is played on a surface which is close to an anachronism in modern day tennis.

Geoff Kilpatrick
It's not often I agree with a Daily Mail writer, but he's spot on. Quite why we expect players ranked outside the top 200 to defeat genuinely strong opponents has always been beyond me - especially given the complete lack of tennis culture in this country.

I imagine a fair few people on here have been to Wimbledon. The club itself is gorgeous, and the absolute business - but it's also scandalously overpriced, treats the public like idiots, and quite incredibly backward in its outlook. Good grief: until only a few years back, they didn't even provide refunds for an entire day's play being washed out; and it's ludicrous it's taken them this long to build a roof on Centre Court.

In 2001, after the AELTC and BBC combined to destroy Britain's best chance of winning the men's singles since before the war, an American journalist asked Alan Mills why, given the weather forecast for the Saturday had been fine at first, wet in the afternoon, they hadn't resumed the Henman-Ivanisevic semi early. Mills paused: he didn't know what to say. "Good question", he finally responded - then fell silent. That year, with the weather making havoc of the draw, Wimbledon were still starting play at 2pm every day: only for bad light to often curtail proceedings with an hour still scheduled!

Mind you, even with the roof, I still think Wimbledon isn't scheduled correctly anyway. There's loads of anomalies with the Grand Slam calendar. Australia is played too early in the year, at a time players aren't fully up to speed yet and often in horrendous heat. Then there's a huge gap to the French, then an insanely small one to Wimbledon. Two surfaces at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and a 'grass court season' encompassing two tournaments; and alarmingly often, the second week in SW19 is affected by rain.

So why not move the Aussie Open back a few weeks to, say, mid-February? Keep the French where it is, but move Wimbledon back to the final two weeks of July; then move the US Open back about a fortnight to mid-September. All you'd need is a couple more grass court events prior to the big one, which must be possible somewhere like Holland or Germany, surely? As it is, it makes zero sense that the game's blue riband event is played on a surface which is close to an anachronism in modern day tennis.

In the case of the Australian Open, it coincides with the long school holidays here. Kids don't go back till the first week in February and helps to explain why it is the biggest attended Grand Slam event (that and the fact they are quite fond of night matches in Melbourne). Also you have the Australia Day celebrations as well. The heat this year in January was ridiculous in Melbourne BUT it was just as bad in February (that was when the Black Saturday bush fires occurred) so postponing it until later wouldn't be of any benefit except that the players had played more warm-up events.

Sheriff Fatman

Yeah and moving Wimbledo forward a few weeks will make such a difference on the likelyhood of rain affecting it. For god's sake the competition is is the UK, were the average likely hood of rain over any fortnight period is relatively high. If the last couple of years are anything to go by, there would be more disruption if it was moved into the last two weeks of July. Plus the fact that, even without rain, the humidity in London gets pigin awful the later in the summer you get, June is almost bearable, July is god awful and August is hellish.

Archived