Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

shaun.lawson
It's because Andy is a real man and not a wee poof who does half hearted fist pumps to show off his (pretend) heart of a lion. :2thumbsup:

God, that was embarrassing! He only did it to try and shut the press up, but would've been far better advised just being himself.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again

WOW - and even FFS!

I didn't know folk gave a **** about tennis.

I'd like Murray to win, no, wait, I don't, I want Fedmaster to win, then reading 3inaB comments, I don't want him to win. I mean, wow, it's like wow, this **** is amazing. wow!

Do I root for the skinny Hibs Scottish ****, or like, the other guy... Serena?

Wow!

I'll go with what ever SL chooses

Good enough for Deliah, good enough for me

It was ludicrous in Henman's - a weaker player than Murray - case too, but that didn't stop everyone doing it.

well, how do you know the difference between bottling it and simply not being good enough at the crucial time?

Some players can simply be outplayed by the better player while playing the best they can. You can have your off days, have no luck.

Then there`s always some players who seem to go far regularly in tourneys but just don`t seem able to go that extra step. What does it come down to in the end?

Maybe i was being a bit harsh calling Murray a bottler but there seems to be this big dip sometimes between a game he has flourished in and the more crucial game afterwards. Sign of nerves to me but he has the years to prove otherwise i suppose.

It's because Andy is a real man and not a wee poof who does half hearted fist pumps to show off his (pretend) heart of a lion. :2thumbsup:

Sadly Murray started doing the very same fist pumps in last weeks final.:smiley2:

Sadly Murray started doing the very same fist pumps in last weeks final.:smiley2:

And it looks naff and unnatural like he`s just doing it for the sake of it. An old tennis player(can`t remember his name) commented on this last year. He says it should be a natural reaction, not a gesture of pander to the crowd.

For the two people in the UK who care about womans tennis Laura Robson is going to get hammered off Hantchunova in the first round.

Well, that will probably be my final comment in this thread. First set 6-3 Robson. Well done.

scott_jambo

Anyone who has played tennis before knows that after a hard earned point, the fist pump is a natural almost reflex reaction, since your other hand is carrying the racquet.

It's very hard to do any other natural celebration after a point when holding equipment.

rava-ap_203775a.jpg

Even dogs find it tricky!

dog-dildo.jpg

James Blake looks to be heading for an early exit.

The curse of D-McG has ruined his chances as I stuck a wee treble on for Blake, Hantuchova and Mahut to win today to make it a bit more interesting.

:rifle:

I P Knightley

Good starts so far from Federer and Del Potro, who looked as though he could be a real threat with his performance this afternoon.

Obviously need to see how he'll cope against stronger players but a quarter final between JMDP and Roddick looks set to be a bit of a beezer. Roddick's looking in fine form against Chardy. Personally I'm hoping that Chardy takes a set or two as I won't be home until later and would like to see Murray in action.

Sexton Hardcastle

Good to see Kirilenko got through. Hopefully theres some highlights on Beeb HD tonight.

AdidasKrilenko.jpg

I P Knightley
Good to see Kirilenko got through. Hopefully theres some highlights on Beeb HD tonight.

AdidasKrilenko.jpg

Every time I put forward an argument criticising women's "tennis", someone comes up with one of these very persuasive counter-arguments.

Sexton Hardcastle

She some times plays doubles with Sharapova. Talk about an ideal team! It may even beat the glory days of Trish Stratus and some othet bird back in the WWF Days.

*Further pics welcome

5-5 in the first set for Murray v Kendrick and it's funny to hear the crowd really getting behind Murray this time around.

I think they're starting to love him a wee bit. Finally.

:smile:

Anyway, huggy stuff aside...get your finger out Andy....

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

1st set to Murray. That should ease the nerves a wee bit. :smiley2:

Looking very smart in the Fred Perry gear.

shaun.lawson
5-5 in the first set for Murray v Kendrick and it's funny to hear the crowd really getting behind Murray this time around.

I think they're starting to love him a wee bit. Finally.

:smile:

Anyway, huggy stuff aside...get your finger out Andy....

It's in Murray's interests if the crowd don't fall head over heels for him if you ask me. That just creates insane levels of pressure on every point. Bit rusty from him so far, and he played a dangerous game for a time there - but with his nose in front, he should be able to relax and pull away I'd have thought.

1st set to Murray. That should ease the nerves a wee bit. :smiley2:

Looking very smart in the Fred Perry gear.

Ruins it. Hibs ^^^^.

He should be sponsored by Hi-tek or something similar.

It's in Murray's interests if the crowd don't fall head over heels for him if you ask me. That just creates insane levels of pressure on every point. Bit rusty from him so far, and he played a dangerous game for a time there - but with his nose in front, he should be able to relax and pull away I'd have thought.

Probably, but given that they weren't sure he'd ever become a darling of the Wimbledon crowd, it's interesting to see the progress that has been made in that respect...and without Murray really doing much other than playing good tennis. He's a little more crowd friendly but he's certainly not a crowd-pleaser in any way.

And I dunno if I'd say he looks rusty, but he does look like he he's not playing at full throttle and has another gear (or two) in there. Kendrick's serve is winning him a fair few points but he lacks finesse in the match winning shots. He's doing very well just now but I don't know if he'll keep it up. He settled the game down very nicely though, Murray needs to grab it by the scruff of the neck and take control again.

Ruins it. Hibs ^^^^.

He should be sponsored by Hi-tek or something similar.

Have some strawberries and cream and chill oot, eh. :D

chester copperpot

I have a fiver on Kendrick to win.

Think Murray will crumble with all the pressure on him. Maybe not this match but defo one in the next few rounds.

shaun.lawson
Probably, but given that they weren't sure he'd ever become a darling of the Wimbledon crowd, it's interesting to see the progress that has been made in that respect...and without Murray really doing much other than playing good tennis. He's a little more crowd friendly but he's certainly not a crowd-pleaser in any way.

And I dunno if I'd say he looks rusty, but he does look like he he's not playing at full throttle and has another gear (or two) in there. Kendrick's serve is winning him a fair few points but he lacks finesse in the match winning shots. He's doing very well just now but I don't know if he'll keep it up. He settled the game down very nicely though, Murray needs to grab it by the scruff of the neck and take control again.

But that's what he invariably doesn't do. Today, he can allow Kendrick to hit himself to defeat. The question mark over Murray, though - and especially in Grand Slams - is his tendency to be too passive, and not impose himself on opponents. He'll need to do something about that if he's to be successful on grass.

Have some strawberries and cream and chill oot, eh. :D

Chilled.

Still stand by my previous post though.

:2thumbsup:

chester copperpot
I have a fiver on Kendrick to win.

Think Murray will crumble with all the pressure on him. Maybe not this match but defo one in the next few rounds.

This just got a helluva lot more interesting. :10900:

1-1. Kendrick has his tail up.

To be honest, Murray hasn't even got out of first gear yet and Kendrick is playing at his best.

Finger oot Andy ya Hibs ^^^^! :stuart:

he looks to me to be in deep ****.

not playing well, getting ratty, and kendrick has obviously raised his game.

this 3rd set looks crucial.

chester copperpot
he looks to me to be in deep ****.

not playing well, getting ratty, and kendrick has obviously raised his game.

this 3rd set looks crucial.

As Shaun said earlier, he's playing well within himself but is not impossing himself on Kendrick. It could bite him on his arse. He's much better to lose going for it than hoping Kendrick will go long with every shot.

He's definitely allowing Kendrick to dictate play too much.

Still think he'll win this in four though.

As Shaun said earlier, he's playing well within himself but is not impossing himself on Kendrick. It could bite him on his arse. He's much better to lose going for it than hoping Kendrick will go long with every shot.

i have seen him play well within himself, but quite deliberately.

right now he seems to be all out of sorts. kendrick's serve has been mighty and looks bloody dangerous returning as well.

it wasn't supposed to be like this!!!

chester copperpot
i have seen him play well within himself, but quite deliberately.

right now he seems to be all out of sorts. kendrick's serve has been mighty and looks bloody dangerous returning as well.

it wasn't supposed to be like this!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer Murray to win, but just thought the odds for Kendrick were very good for a one off Tennis match.

He needs to step it up big style, or else he's in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer Murray to win, but just thought the odds for Kendrick were very good for a one off Tennis match.

He needs to step it up big style, or else he's in trouble.

what odds did you get?

he's steadied up his own serve a bit this set but the last thing he needs is another tie break. he needs to find a break or it could be curtains.

shaun.lawson
He's definitely allowing Kendrick to dictate play too much.

Still think he'll win this in four though.

I agree. I struggle to see Kendrick keeping it up for a whole match. At present though, Murray's doing a Henman, messing around against a lower ranked opponent when he should be ruthlessly killing him off.

However much grass has changed in recent years, it still takes considerable time to really learn how to play on it. On what he's shown today, Murray's still learning - and by way of warning, Ernests Gulbis, who the winner of this match meets in the second round, is much more dangerous than Kendrick.

chester copperpot
what odds did you get?

he's steadied up his own serve a bit this set but the last thing he needs is another tie break. he needs to find a break or it could be curtains.

33/1, but heard there were much bigger odds.

Kendrick still 13/2, but that will be much bigger now Andy has broken.

ah the old magic hasn't deserted me. a wee bit of the old victorian kybosh.

'mon the murray.

33/1, but heard there were much bigger odds.

Kendrick still 13/2, but that will be much bigger now Andy has broken.

that's unbelievable odds. staggering.

I agree. I struggle to see Kendrick keeping it up for a whole match. At present though, Murray's doing a Henman, messing around against a lower ranked opponent when he should be ruthlessly killing him off.

However much grass has changed in recent years, it still takes considerable time to really learn how to play on it. On what he's shown today, Murray's still learning - and by way of warning, Ernests Gulbis, who the winner of this match meets in the second round, is much more dangerous than Kendrick.

Having a bit of a battle might end up doing Murray some good. He wasn't tested at all at Queens and at least it's come in a match where he still should come through.

Gulbis is definitely a better player than Kendrick but he's one of these mystery players. A young guy with a lot of potential and he's had reasonable runs in a couple of Slams but he's pretty much done nothing this year.

chester copperpot
Having a bit of a battle might end up doing Murray some good. He wasn't tested at all at Queens and at least it's come in a match where he still should come through.

Gulbis is definitely a better player than Kendrick but he's one of these mystery players. A young guy with a lot of potential and he's had reasonable runs in a couple of Slams but he's pretty much done nothing this year.

Gulbis is were my next fiver is going.

Should get good odd's too.

chester copperpot

Get in, he played average at best, the guy Kendrick played out of his skin, but Murray still through.

Might just be the boot up his arse needed.

shaun.lawson
GIRUY Shaun.Lawson.

only joking

top post

not joking

Joking or not joking, early in the third set, while victorian was already having kittens, I agreed with Martin that Murray would win in four. Which is precisely what happened.

I love how everyone's really excited again now on the strength of an unconvincing first round win. Murray has to improve hugely if he's do to what he really should given his draw and make the final.

chester copperpot
that's unbelievable odds. staggering.

That's why I backed him mate. Each match with Murray could potentially be a big winner in the bookies, due to his popularity.

Gulbis will beat him if he plays like he did today. Gulbis will prob be 15/1 or summat, because most non bet people will back Murray.

Joking or not joking, early in the third set, while victorian was already having kittens, I agreed with Martin that Murray would win in four. Which is precisely what happened.

I love how everyone's really excited again now on the strength of an unconvincing first round win. Murray has to improve hugely if he's do to what he really should given his draw and make the final.

SEETHING.

ONLY JOKING

shaun.lawson
SEETHING.

ONLY JOKING

:laugh:

"Murray's going to be better than Federer. If you just look at how their careers began, he's ahead of Roger!"

Pfft.

That's why I backed him mate. Each match with Murray could potentially be a big winner in the bookies, due to his popularity.

Gulbis will beat him if he plays like he did today. Gulbis will prob be 15/1 or summat, because most non bet people will back Murray.

i might have a wee peek myself.

i want murray to win but if ridiculous odds are being bandied about then it seems almost like being rude not to have a bite.

:laugh:

"Murray's going to be better than Federer. If you just look at how their careers began, he's ahead of Roger!"

Pfft.

haha you are shaking with rage. :2thumbsup:

Archived