Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

PresidentRomanov
the whole thing's just been ruined by seeing some tube wearing a celtic cap in the crowd.

Celtic/Hibs/Andy Murray, same thing :clover:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson
haha you are shaking with rage. :2thumbsup:

And on the strength of that performance, one thing neither Roger Federer, Andy Roddick or even Fernando Gonzalez will be doing is shaking with fear.

Spot on PR. :57:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
And on the strength of that performance, one thing neither Roger Federer, Andy Roddick or even Fernando Gonzalez will be doing is shaking with fear.

Even the magical Fed had shakey performances in the French. :smiley2:

I think you dislike Murray because he is miles better than Henman. Just admit it!

baah, murray isn't a real hobo. it's not like he ever goes to a game.

oh hang on...

shaun.lawson
Even the magical Fed has shakey performances in the French. :smiley2:

I think you dislike Murray because he is miles better than Henman. Just admit it!

I have tons of respect for Murray: he's way better than Henman. I cheerfully admit to not particularly liking the guy, because I think he behaves like a dick at times. But all I'm doing is judging him by the most exalted of standards: he's earned that by the strength of his progress so far. And on that count - and only on that count - he's still slightly wanting.

PresidentRomanov
I have tons of respect for Murray: he's way better than Henman. I cheerfully admit to not particularly liking the guy, because I think he behaves like a dick at times. But all I'm doing is judging him by the most exalted of standards: he's earned that by the strength of his progress so far. And on that count - and only on that count - he's still slightly wanting.

I think you'll find most Hibbies are slightly wanting Shaun :smiley2:

tim061007G_468x559.jpg

chester copperpot
I think you'll find most Hibbies are slightly wanting Shaun to feck off back to Hibs.net. :smiley2:

Better?

shaun.lawson
Better?

Given my popularity over there, hardly! :laugh:

shaun.lawson
tim061007G_468x559.jpg

:D

I judged Henman by those standards too. It's why I concluded pretty early that he wasn't good enough - and despaired at those who blamed him for not being as good as they'd insisted he would be. Fortunately for Murray, he has time on his side in a way Henman never did.

I P Knightley
:laugh:

"Murray's going to be better than Federer. If you just look at how their careers began, he's ahead of Roger!"

Pfft.

Don't know if that's all AP's quote there. I know that I'm guilty of using the latter part when arguing against those who were saying last year that Murray was and would be no good. The fact is that if you track the two of their progress through the rankings, Murray's ascent was steeper than Federer's.

I really don't think he'll outstrip Federer, Nadal or Agassi but the message (as you've agreed) is to sit tight and wait and see.

tim061007G_468x559.jpg

You gotta respect a bloke who's prepared to drop his guts in an effort to put off his opponent during a match, even though there's a clear risk of follow through - and he's wearing whites.

shaun.lawson
Don't know if that's all AP's quote there. I know that I'm guilty of using the latter part when arguing against those who were saying last year that Murray was and would be no good. The fact is that if you track the two of their progress through the rankings, Murray's ascent was steeper than Federer's.

I really don't think he'll outstrip Federer, Nadal or Agassi but the message (as you've agreed) is to sit tight and wait and see.

Sure. As I've said before, I think he'll win between one and three Grand Slams, and would be very, very surprised if he fails to win any. What's daft about comparing him to those three players, though, is Murray's game is essentially one of percentages: waiting for opponents to hit themselves to defeat. Most of the time, this works - but there are real questions over whether it can over a long fortnight of five set matches.

Agassi and Nadal may be counter-punchers; but both had and have the ability to impose themselves on allcomers to a frightening degree. Murray doesn't - which makes his parallel something closer to Lleyton Hewitt, or even Miloslav Mecir.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Away from Murray, how pointless is the annual pantomine of throwing in around 10 brits, only to see 90 per cent of them blitzed in the first round? Gravy train

Denny Crane
Get in, he played average at best, the guy Kendrick played out of his skin, but Murray still through.

Might just be the boot up his arse needed.

Could be. There are precedents.

Previous winners of the trophy have had 'rusty' performances in the earlier rounds. I remember Stefan Edberg in 1990 receiving a scare against Amos Mansdorf before going on to win it. A year later an unheralded Russian called Alexandr Volkov served for the match against Michael Stich. The latter survived to destroy Becker in the final. Sampras too. He won it in 1999 but in an earlier round, he was getting a roasting form Philipoussis before the Aussie did his knee in and had to retire.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Previous winners of the trophy have had 'rusty' performances in the earlier rounds. I remember Stefan Edberg in 1990 receiving a scare against Amos Mansdorf before going on to win it. A year later an unheralded Russian called Alexandr Volkov served for the match against Michael Stich. The latter survived to destroy Becker in the final. Sampras too. He won it in 1999 but in an earlier round, he was getting a roasting form Philipoussis before the Aussie did his knee in and had to retire.

As random as it sounds, that was my favourite Wimbledon. I was nine years old on holiday in Dorset at the time and watched every minute that was on the BBC. The Edberg-Becker final was quality

Away from Murray, how pointless is the annual pantomine of throwing in around 10 brits, only to see 90 per cent of them blitzed in the first round? Gravy train

I think the even bigger pantomine is the way the media go on about it. Yes players should do better but the expectations are ridiculous, especially when you've got some players up against the very best in the world. The problem with tennis in this country is that a lot of people pay attention for these two weeks and ignore what happens in the rest of the year.

It makes it more interesting for the crowd having a British person rather than having a clay courter get into the draw who only turns up for the prize money.

The Old Tolbooth

I was thinking much the same, there must be better players in world tennis than some of the no-marks that get thrown in to be nothing more than chicken feed at times.

Its pathetic eh? The papers today were ripping into them for being ***** then having a dig at Murray just because he told them they werent good enough! He's right! They are absolute murder apart from Laura Robson who at least put up a fight and looked like she might actually win. 102mph serve at 15 is mightily impressive.

Was reading today that Alex Bogdanovic (great nickname A-Bog) has made ?80k in 8 years from his wildcards at Wimbledon. 8 YEARS!?!?! He should be made to get a bloody real job! I assume he either has a rich family or lives in a cardboard box.

The sooner wimbledon stop these ludicrous British wildcards the better. No one even gives a feck about them apart from Murray and Robson. If you're not in the top 75 OR displaying great potential (Robson) then you should be ignored.

Anybody able to give me a date for the final?

EDIT: Wouldn't Murray have been a wildcard in his first Wimbeldon when he was rank 600 or so.

Anybody able to give me a date for the final?

EDIT: Wouldn't Murray have been a wildcard in his first Wimbeldon when he was rank 600 or so.

He was in the top 500 and beat Radek Stepanek in straight sets. Hence, his wildcard was merited on the back of his great potential.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Its pathetic eh? The papers today were ripping into them for being ***** then having a dig at Murray just because he told them they werent good enough! He's right! They are absolute murder apart from Laura Robson who at least put up a fight and looked like she might actually win. 102mph serve at 15 is mightily impressive.

Was reading today that Alex Bogdanovic (great nickname A-Bog) has made ?80k in 8 years from his wildcards at Wimbledon. 8 YEARS!?!?! He should be made to get a bloody real job! I assume he either has a rich family or lives in a cardboard box.

The sooner wimbledon stop these ludicrous British wildcards the better. No one even gives a feck about them apart from Murray and Robson. If you're not in the top 75 OR displaying great potential (Robson) then you should be ignored.

He's not even won a match in those 8 attempts.

Feckin joke.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
He was in the top 500 and beat Radek Stepanek in straight sets. Hence, his wildcard was merited on the back of his great potential.

Also, if you are a junior slam champ you may be giving wild cards to the main events. Murray was the reigning US Open Junior champ at the time (I think) and had already played for the British Davis Cup team.

Also, if you are a junior slam champ you may be giving wild cards to the main events. Murray was the reigning US Open Junior champ at the time (I think) and had already played for the British Davis Cup team.

Yup. It was a spot on wildcard and not just a 'jobs for the boys' type. There must be a middle ground between ***** Brits and random journeymen who cant play on grass. Either that or do away with most of the wildcards and invite the next best ranked player.

gone are the days of the plucky low ranked brits getting through a few rounds or giving the big guns a scare.

remember when chris bailey had match point over goran ivanisevic? there was also a boy called cowan who took 2 sets off sampras. jeremy bates was always good to get through 2/3 rounds.

elena baltacha has been known to win a few games as well, great to see her back and winning.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
gone are the days of the plucky low ranked brits getting through a few rounds or giving the big guns a scare.

remember when chris bailey had match point over goran ivanisevic? there was also a boy called cowan who took 2 sets off sampras. jeremy bates was always good to get through 2/3 rounds.

elena baltacha has been known to win a few games as well, great to see her back and winning.

"Victorian" Scotlands equivalent of Englands "Shaun Lawson".

"Victorian" Scotlands equivalent of Englands "Shaun Lawson".

i like tennis lionman, used to play in the east of scotland leagues don't you know.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
i like tennis lionman, used to play in the east of scotland leagues don't you know.

On the Wii you mean.

On the Wii you mean.

yeah i never really. a mate of mine does though. that alone gives a geezer plenty qualification to talk tennis IMO.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Barry Cowan.

He works for Sky Sports and is often in the studio for the Master Series Events.

He was a massive Liverpool fan and used to listen to 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on his Walkman in between games.

Barry Cowan.

He works for Sky Sports and is often in the studio for the Master Series Events.

He was a massive Liverpool fan and used to listen to 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on his Walkman in between games.

the sampras match was awesome. cowan was 2 sets down IIRC and then won the next 2.

sampras's monkey bum must have been knitting socks.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
yeah i never really. a mate of mine does though. that alone gives a geezer plenty qualification to talk tennis IMO.

Pong460x276.jpg

East of Scotland Champion myself as it goes.

Sharapova's getting pumped.

And not in a good way.

This game is decidedly easy on the eye! :001_icon16:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I think the even bigger pantomine is the way the media go on about it. Yes players should do better but the expectations are ridiculous, especially when you've got some players up against the very best in the world. The problem with tennis in this country is that a lot of people pay attention for these two weeks and ignore what happens in the rest of the year.

It makes it more interesting for the crowd having a British person rather than having a clay courter get into the draw who only turns up for the prize money.

Wild cards shouldn't exist IMO. You should have to qualify via your world ranking or through the qualifying rounds. The sad fact is that, if that was the case, we'd probably have a maximum of one Brit involved each year.

Say What Again
I got on Sharapova at 4/1 at the start of the second set. Looking good.

Easy monies.

Ahem. :stuart:

Denny Crane
Sharapova's getting pumped.

And not in a good way.

Good. That's one shrieking cheat out.

Wild cards shouldn't exist IMO. You should have to qualify via your world ranking or through the qualifying rounds. The sad fact is that, if that was the case, we'd probably have a maximum of one Brit involved each year.

The problem is that wild cards exist at every tournament, rightly or wrongly. All the other Slams recently have been struggling to give them away, including the French this year despite the fact they've got a ton of players.

At least Wimbledon aren't handing out all eight wild cards to British folk and it's quite interesting that most of the non Brit wild cards have also gone out in the first round as well. Plus they've started limiting the criteria for British folk rather than in the past where they have quite literally given it to anyone.

Something needs to be done in British tennis behind the scenes because there's a whole ton of problems. But it's probably now an issue that doesn't just apply to Britain because Australia and USA are just as bad now.

shaun.lawson

All fair points. It does my head in, though, how many journeymen British players end up with cushty roles in the media: Annabel Croft, Andrew Castle, Chris Bailey, Clare Wood, Barry Cowan, Sam Smith (who at least achieved something in her career, like Bates) and Mark Petchey have all enjoyed this.

shaun.lawson

I agree. Personally, I don't think the LTA are as elitist and out of touch as they once were. The problem lies in the culture of the sport here. Tennis just isn't important in Britain in the way it is in France or Spain; and the recent rush of players emerging in Eastern Europe and Russia seems to have happened through parents who viewed it as a route out of poverty for their child. How many parents would have a similar fear of poverty in the UK?

Given we'll surely never reach the point when tennis becomes as important as the major sports in Britain - or even played in schools as often as those major sports - I'm starting to think it's all just pot luck. Henman and Murray didn't emerge because of the British 'system'; neither has Laura Robson. Murray and Robson had very clever mothers driving them on; Henman had grasscourt tennis in his bloodline. All three are middle class too - the question remains as to how much access to decent facilities working class kids get.

shaun.lawson

The sudden explosion in Stich's form was remarkable, and a complete one-off in his case, as it was with Krajicek five years later. Both had huge serves, and perfect games for grass; but both simply caught lightning in a bottle for a few days, and never really repeated it. I remember watching Stich hammer Jim Courier in the 1991 quarter-finals, and thinking that if he kept it up, he could pull off a huge shock. Everyone had got used to Edberg and Becker dominating the event, but he went on to beat both: Edberg despite losing his serve once, and never breaking Stefan's!

Edberg was my favourite male player when I first got into tennis, so I remember that Mansdorf match - and how jubilant I was when he beat Becker in the 1990 final, held on the same day as that grotesque World Cup Final between West Germany and Argentina. Truth is though, if you look at the last ten or fifteen years, the Wimbledon Champion has almost always cruised through the opening rounds, barely dropping a set. Murray's still learning how to play on grass and isn't ready to win it yet: if he gets to the final, that's success at this stage.

As for Sampras against Phillippoussis: he'd just lost the first set thanks to one break of serve when his opponent was injured. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't have come back, as he did against Henman in the next round after playing an identical first set. You could also argue that Phillippoussis was literally serving beyond the confines of his body: hence his injury. 48 hours later, Sampras played the greatest grasscourt tennis that has ever been seen in history - so I've always assumed he'd have raised his game and taken care of business. I was gutted when Mark was injured though: it'd have been tough, but I knew Henman had a much better chance of beating him than Pistol Pete.

All fair points. It does my head in, though, how many journeymen British players end up with cushty roles in the media: Annabel Croft, Andrew Castle, Chris Bailey, Clare Wood, Barry Cowan, Sam Smith (who at least achieved something in her career, like Bates) and Mark Petchey have all enjoyed this.

yep it's quite remarkable how these characters hop aboard the gravy train which calls itself the BBC by doing the sum total of bugger all (in the grand scheme of it).

mind you, the BBC have gary linekar hosting golf. wtf is that all about?

shaun.lawson
yep it's quite remarkable how these characters hop aboard the gravy train which calls itself the BBC by doing the sum total of bugger all (in the grand scheme of it).

mind you, the BBC have gary linekar hosting golf. wtf is that all about?

It's called "oh no, Steve Rider's buggered off to ITV after 20 years of us taking him for granted! So it's either Tony Gubba... or the boy Lineacre!"

Archived