Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

luckyBatistuta

Do your kids not play in the wee wanderers? It was at Melville in Dalkeith on Sunday. Neice qualified again (although only 2 females for her age group). She has a european qualifer coming up in Jun as well.

Don't know anything about that mate. They're just starting out, had some lessons and played a few holes here and there with myself, but that's about it.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Armageddon

it's the wee wonders..............https://www.weewondersgolf.com/

We're doing the North Berwick comp on Sunday, made it to the semis last year at Carnoustie.

After this weekend we're going to hit balls for 2 hours every night until the European Championships at the end of the month! Need to make sure the A game is here, short game needs to be tighter than ever to get into the top 5.

Pretty windy this evening.

Hit an 8 iron 180 yards. :lol:

(usually only 140)

Edited by Ray Gin

Pretty windy this evening.

Hit an 8 iron 180 yards. :lol:

(usually only 140)

I was out today, although it was sunny the wind was bloody freezing!!

Victorian

Tie on Saturday. Giving away 8 shots.

:muggy:

The way I approach these kinds of ties is that I don't worry about the holes where I don't give a shot. I expect to win a few where I do. Matchplay is very much influenced by the pressure and comfort that comes with a deficit or lead.

It's an ideal game to tune the game up to scratch. There's nothing like a matchplay tie to concentrate the mind and start swinging properly. I wont particularly stress if I lose in an early round but if I get through a few rounds, I'll be obsessed to win it. Wake me up in the quarter finals. :D

Samuel Camazzola

We're doing the North Berwick comp on Sunday, made it to the semis last year at Carnoustie.

After this weekend we're going to hit balls for 2 hours every night until the European Championships at the end of the month! Need to make sure the A game is here, short game needs to be tighter than ever to get into the top 5.

Sounds like the Competitive Dad sketches from The Fast Show. :)

Armageddon

Sounds like the Competitive Dad sketches from The Fast Show. :)

Haha I'll need to watch that. I never put the pressure on but for the next few weeks I will be!

hmfc_liam06

Tie on Saturday. Giving away 8 shots.

:muggy:

The way I approach these kinds of ties is that I don't worry about the holes where I don't give a shot. I expect to win a few where I do. Matchplay is very much influenced by the pressure and comfort that comes with a deficit or lead.

It's an ideal game to tune the game up to scratch. There's nothing like a matchplay tie to concentrate the mind and start swinging properly. I wont particularly stress if I lose in an early round but if I get through a few rounds, I'll be obsessed to win it. Wake me up in the quarter finals. :D

In the society I run, we have a wee matchplay competition over the course of the year and giving away shots is always a hot topic. It's amazing the attitude of some and the way they handle giving away shots, they're beat before they've even hit a ball.

In your case, there's 10 holes where you're playing a guy, who you're clearly better than, off scratch. It'll be close obviously but if you play well enough you'll edge the tie.

Victorian

In the society I run, we have a wee matchplay competition over the course of the year and giving away shots is always a hot topic. It's amazing the attitude of some and the way they handle giving away shots, they're beat before they've even hit a ball.

In your case, there's 10 holes where you're playing a guy, who you're clearly better than, off scratch. It'll be close obviously but if you play well enough you'll edge the tie.

That's why you target 'his' holes and remain relaxed about the rest. Target a few holes against the shot. If you get half holes, even those are positives. The rest look after themselves.

34 points for me on Wednesday, bit of a rush after work. Thought I struck the ball well, but just couldn't score

Armageddon

Craigielaw - 39 stableford points!

78 scratch less 10 in a howling wind, birdies at 1 and 9, 3 putted 4 of the 5 par 3's (one was from just off the green).  Out in 37 and back in 41.

iw6r0o.jpg

Edited by Armageddon

Craigielaw - 39 stableford points!

78 scratch less 10 in a howling wind, birdies at 1 and 9, 3 putted 4 of the 5 par 3's (one was from just off the green). Out in 37 and back in 41.

iw6r0o.jpg

Good shooting Armageddon, that'll get you cut a bit?

First open at my home course tomorrow, look out lads. 40+ points expected.

72 gross, nett 68. Only good enough to level my handicap, had 8 birdie putts on the front 9 and missed every single one :facepalm: had a couple on the back 9 though, put one O.B on the 10th cost me a double.

Converted stableford is 36 points btw.

Samuel Camazzola

72 gross, nett 68. Only good enough to level my handicap, had 8 birdie putts on the front 9 and missed every single one :facepalm: had a couple on the back 9 though, put one O.B on the 10th cost me a double.

Converted stableford is 36 points btw.

Is it a shortish course with a few par 3's with the par being low?

Is it a shortish course with a few par 3's with the par being low?

5800 yards I think. Par 69 css 68. Tbh I can drive on and around 5 of the par 4's on the front 9, back 9 a lot tougher.

Absolute 'mare of a round today at Braids. The wind was ridiculous, as was my driving. Greens brutal and rock hard.

4 lost balls, 39 putts.

Barely broke 100. :lol:

Sten Guns

QomVK3o.jpg

Kilspindie today. Greens were outstanding. Bit blowy though. It was a Texas Scramble so no personal score to report. :lol:

Edited by Sten Guns

It was windy at Gullane today. very windy.. 

I stood on the first tee after 45 minutes on the range and putting green.. Been playing very well and its my 4th game of the week.. The first is 310 yards, but plenty bunkers in the way of the green. I had a 5 iron in my hand,  But, decided to go back to my bag and get my driver. Go for the green I thought.. 

So there it was, I hit it very well, straight, but a strange bounce left and took the pace off it and finished about 5 yards short of the green. good birdie opportunity I thought..  So pulled out my putter to sneak the ball past the greenside bunker as there was no way I could stop a chip with this wind. 

Anyway.. 5 shots later I was wondering why I putted into the bunker then without thinking grabbed a sand iron and with the possibility of actual steam coming out of my ears and eyes, proceeded to take 2 to get out the bunker.. 

Anyway. I might have lost the plot and shot an 88 - Net 83 - 

lolz

Edited by Bigsmak

John mcCartney

absolutely serene over at leven this early eve,course is rock hard with cracks in the ground ,shiny putting surfaces etc

wasnt much of a wind there,off the sea about ten-fifteen mph in places and azure blue sky .absolutely superb it was

Samuel Camazzola

It was a bit of struggle this afternoon. Not so good and equated to 32 points for the Stableford table.

Victorian

Well beat in the tie today. 4/3. Was 2 up thru 4. I was badly handicapped by my neck to be fair. Can barely swing properly. Every full swing was painful and it's not nice at all to stand over a shot knowing you're about to cause a lot of pain.

Anyway. I won the first hole where I was giving a shot. Birdie to a bogey. All going to plan. Somehow I find myself level par thru 6 and I'm only all square.

In the end I'm probably heading for 77 and beat 4/3. The guy was really steady and gave away nothing. He had pars at 4 shot holes where I got pars. That's just tough for me and well played him. You shake hands and say well done.

Better than handicap? Probably. We've all been there.

Out at 6 this morning for a quick round at the 9 holer in Kenmore.

Been going to that course since I first started golf about 15 years ago. A hidden gem.

+3 first 9

-1 second 9

Wandered round in under 2.5 hours.

hmfc_liam06

Wee trip to Muckhart today courtesy of a free voucher from American Golf.

Was at a wedding all day yesterday so to say I was tender was an understatement. Absolutely brutal for the first four holes, felt a spew come on every time I addressed the ball...gave myself a shake and I've finished the last 14 holes in +9 for a +18 score and a net 69. Played some decent stuff and finally got the driver working after a shocking couple months with it.

Was at a wedding all day yesterday so to say I was tender was an understatement. Absolutely brutal for the first four holes, felt a spew come on every time I addressed the ball...gave myself a shake and I've finished the last 14 holes in +9 for a +18 score and a net 69. Played some decent stuff and finally got the driver working after a shocking couple months with it.

I'm playing Muckhart next week...my driving has been erratic at best. How much trouble am I going to be in?

Samuel Camazzola

I'm due to play there in the coming weeks. I believe it's made up of three 9's. Did you get allocated which nines to play?

hmfc_liam06

I'm playing Muckhart next week...my driving has been erratic at best. How much trouble am I going to be in?

It depends on which 18 holes are allocated on the day. I've played all 27 holes.

The newer course (Naemoor) is relatively straightforward off the tee, although if you are wayward it'll punish you. We played the Cowden course as well today, that's definitely more of a challenge off the tee, 2 holes in particular are nerve wracking if you're like me and fade the ball. Cowden is also very up and down with some blind shots.

I played the remaining 9 (Arndean) a couple years back, I can't recall it being too difficult off the tee. That being said, like most courses if you are wild then you'll be in bother.

hmfc_liam06

I'm due to play there in the coming weeks. I believe it's made up of three 9's. Did you get allocated which nines to play?

It is 3 9's yeah. The original 18 is the Cowden and Arndean courses with the Naemoor being added later.

They rotate the courses so there'll be an allocated to 18 on the day. There's a big board up outside the pro shop telling you which courses are in play.

Samuel Camazzola

It is 3 9's yeah. The original 18 is the Cowden and Arndean courses with the Naemoor being added later.

They rotate the courses so there'll be an allocated to 18 on the day. There's a big board up outside the pro shop telling you which courses are in play.

Good to know - Cheers!

In decent condition?

hmfc_liam06

Good to know - Cheers!

In decent condition?

It was decent yeah. Greens were generally good.

hmfc_liam06

a796d39001609b5cb446e4520dac6b73.jpg

Closing hole on the Cowden course. 545 yard par 5 with a burn cutting across 100 yards from the green. Nice finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hmfc_liam06

It depends on which 18 holes are allocated on the day. I've played all 27 holes.

The newer course (Naemoor) is relatively straightforward off the tee, although if you are wayward it'll punish you. We played the Cowden course as well today, that's definitely more of a challenge off the tee, 2 holes in particular are nerve wracking if you're like me and fade the ball. Cowden is also very up and down with some blind shots.

I played the remaining 9 (Arndean) a couple years back, I can't recall it being too difficult off the tee. That being said, like most courses if you are wild then you'll be in bother.

Cheers. Naemoor/Cowden is what we have booked.

hmfc_liam06

Cheers. Naemoor/Cowden is what we have booked.

Same as us today then. You definitely need a bit of accuracy on Cowden. Enjoy, it's a lovely part of the country.

Samuel Camazzola

a796d39001609b5cb446e4520dac6b73.jpg

Closing hole on the Cowden course. 545 yard par 5 with a burn cutting across 100 yards from the green. Nice finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff.

Were they quite accommodating to give you a tee time you wanted given it was a freebie?

hmfc_liam06

Good stuff.

Were they quite accommodating to give you a tee time you wanted given it was a freebie?

All done through teeofftimes.co.uk. Get 3 free rounds a year for being in the AG Club from American Golf.

Samuel Camazzola

All done through teeofftimes.co.uk. Get 3 free rounds a year for being in the AG Club from American Golf.

Mine is a voucher so booking is to be done direct. Not had any AG emails for a while. When did the last free round get distributed?

hmfc_liam06

Mine is a voucher so booking is to be done direct. Not had any AG emails for a while. When did the last free round get distributed?

I got my first one Wednesday/Thursday, had to be used in May. Check your spam folder?

Samuel Camazzola

I got my first one Wednesday/Thursday, had to be used in May. Check your spam folder?

Will do. What was in the subject line?

hmfc_liam06

Mine came through ok.

Most of the tee-times offered for me are about 1-2pm on the days I'm looking at.

Doesn't bother me, as it'll just be me playing.

Aye it has to be the hot deal times. 

Can pick up some times around 10/11 but mostly around 1 as you say. Doesn't bother me either to be honest.

It was windy at Gullane today. very windy.. 

I stood on the first tee after 45 minutes on the range and putting green.. Been playing very well and its my 4th game of the week.. The first is 310 yards, but plenty bunkers in the way of the green. I had a 5 iron in my hand,  But, decided to go back to my bag and get my driver. Go for the green I thought.. 

So there it was, I hit it very well, straight, but a strange bounce left and took the pace off it and finished about 5 yards short of the green. good birdie opportunity I thought..  So pulled out my putter to sneak the ball past the greenside bunker as there was no way I could stop a chip with this wind. 

Anyway.. 5 shots later I was wondering why I putted into the bunker then without thinking grabbed a sand iron and with the possibility of actual steam coming out of my ears and eyes, proceeded to take 2 to get out the bunker.. 

Anyway. I might have lost the plot and shot an 88 - Net 83 - 

lolz

:lol: Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would do.

Forres open Saturday, Moray open Sunday. Can't wait, Moray is a tough track, and I haven't played Forres since I was a junior.

hmfc_liam06

Forres open Saturday, Moray open Sunday. Can't wait, Moray is a tough track, and I haven't played Forres since I was a junior.

Moray looked fantastic when we were up playing Hopeman last year.

Golf in Scotland Masters scramble at Ladybank for me this Sunday.

Moray looked fantastic when we were up playing Hopeman last year.

Golf in Scotland Masters scramble at Ladybank for me this Sunday.

Old and new are both quality courses, the old is brutal, it's held a euro pro event before, mind it being on sky sports a few years ago. Forecast is for wind, that will be ideal for my high ball flight :lol:

Edited by Irufushi

Victorian

New bag coming. Going back to a carry bag and dumping the enormous staff bag I've been hauling around. Sun Mountain. Got it for a very good price.

Anybody play at/played pitreavie? Is it worth a 70 mile drive to play in their open? Free weekend then so trying to fill it with golf

Anybody play at/played pitreavie? Is it worth a 70 mile drive to play in their open? Free weekend then so trying to fill it with golf

Played there a few times years ago. Nice enough track. Not long but bits are hilly.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread