Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

:lol:

Sorry, I should've clarified. They're only(I say only) 712's. But they're immaculate, & as I don't really want to pay ???'s, due to the fact I'll not play enough this year to justify a bigger outlay, they were perfect for me.

Look, I've been playing with a set of RAM clubs for the best part of 12 years, as I couldn't be arsed getting a new set.

Anything's an upgrade. :lol:

Nice one :thumbsup:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's offering. Out in 42 back in 38 less 10. It was a cold strong wind today, didn't hit the ball that great, holed 3 decent putts then the rest was scrappy.

Up 0.1 today in Longniddry's wind :facepalm:

Gullane tomorrow though. :)

What time you playing? I'm on number 1 at 9am

What time you playing? I'm on number 1 at 9am

Number 3 around 8:30am.

You're a member aren't you? Playing with a mate, Kevin Murphy. (Ailsa's husband).

Not played any of the Gullane courses, so he said he take me round 3 to break me in before we play 2 & 1. :lol:

Number 3 is in great nick.. you'll enjoy it, greens are so good right now. I expect at least 3 birdies from you

Number 3 is in great nick.. you'll enjoy it, greens are so good right now. I expect at least 3 birdies from you

Superb. Will report back.

Samuel Camazzola

Gullane 3 has four of the best finishing holes I've played throughout Scotland.

Par 3 15th is a gem of which I nearly aced on my first attempt. Get your aim correct on 18 and you could be putting for an eagle.

The variation of holes are superb

Another 77 today.. just can't seem to score. 3 bunkers cost three shots and 5 times I took 3 to get down from the side of the green. My putting was a lot better today though.

Next week.

Edited by Bigsmak

Only managed to get 8 holes in this weekend, was -2 for 8 holes though.

Open booked for next week. Get some more practice in this week and hopefully my rangefinder arrives.

Just back from playing 11 holes. +6, pretty happy with that!

3 putted, and bogeyed, the first 4 holes before sorting my putting out a bit and playing some solid golf. Still missed a couple of golden opportunities for birdies though.

Gullane 3 greens were outstanding given its April. A real joy to putt on.

Nice wee course. Makes you feel good about your game at times.

That 15th is a bit weird though. You could hit a putter off the tee and probably get on the green. Wasn't a fan of that hole.

Samuel Camazzola

Gullane 3 greens were outstanding given its April. A real joy to putt on.

Nice wee course. Makes you feel good about your game at times.

That 15th is a bit weird though. You could hit a putter off the tee and probably get on the green. Wasn't a fan of that hole.

Everytime I played 15, the rough was grown so it would not have been possible to roll a shot down the hill.

Everytime I played 15, the rough was grown so it would not have been possible to roll a shot down the hill.

The assistant pro Marc joined our group. He showed us 3 ways to play the hole. One of which was simply throwing it on the green. :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

The assistant pro Marc joined our group. He showed us 3 ways to play the hole. One of which was simply throwing it on the green. :lol:

Did you go for the green on 18?

William H. Bonney

Did you go for the green on 18?

Didn't even know it was possible.

I just aimed for a certain building in the distance that one of the guys told me was the line!

Samuel Camazzola

Didn't even know it was possible.

I just aimed for a certain building in the distance that one of the guys told me was the line!

The hole is only around 300 yards and if you aim up the left side of the fairway (using a starter hut as a target), you shouldn't be too far away.

hmfc_liam06

In fact.. I've driven the 18th on all three of the Gullane courses.. never thought of that before.

I'd be delighted with my drives going 200 yards straight never mind hitting greens :lol:

I've just bought a Taylormade R1 with a longer than standard shaft (+2.5"). I've gone for a regular shaft as a change from my normal stiff shafted drivers that give me a lot of consistency but seem to limit length. I'm going to try to eke out a bit more length. The regular shaft will need to be managed by swinging smoothly. The plan is to ever so slightly stretch my backswing over time. I tend to be able to adapt quite well to a driver so I'm looking forward to it.

Samuel Camazzola

I've just bought a Taylormade R1 with a longer than standard shaft (+2.5"). I've gone for a regular shaft as a change from my normal stiff shafted drivers that give me a lot of consistency but seem to limit length. I'm going to try to eke out a bit more length. The regular shaft will need to be managed by swinging smoothly. The plan is to ever so slightly stretch my backswing over time. I tend to be able to adapt quite well to a driver so I'm looking forward to it.

An extra 2.5"? What height are you as the driver is going to be massive?

I had a driver lengthened before. Plugged at the grip end. It's not convensional but lots of pros have played with over-lengthed drivers from time to time. The one I had before had a thick grip fitted to it as well which serves to make it feel a tad lighter. I may go down that route as well.

I had a titleist 915 driver with a longer shaft, hideous thing, I got given it by my dad who didn't like it. I'm 6'4, all it did for me was make me wild off the tee. Flogged it after a couple of months.

That's not to say it won't work for you, though.

I can't remember which driver I had the long shaft on but I do remember it wasn't too wild. I'm not long enough to be destructively wild in any case. It's just an experiment to try to drag another 10-20 yards out because that would make a big difference to me.

luckyBatistuta

Haha I totally get you, 2 years ago I stood at Kingsfield with a boy that had just turned 7 and a guy told me about the SG Foundation, I told him "I don't want him competing, I just want him to have fun"  he done it once and was hooked! His first handicap was 30 when he was 8 off the gents tee's and he's just getting better and better, he tells everybody he wants to play on the PGA Tour.

Hi bud, thinking about entering my boys in the April 30th 2017

Gogarburn GC, 12 holes Flag Event and Stroke Play event (to qualify for stroke play you must have scored 36 or less in a flag event or be a girl with a CONGU Handicap to enter) , Gogarburn GC, Edinburgh, Tee times 12pm-4pm

Are they able to enter this event, as they haven't played in any tournaments. Will they just play in the Flag event, no idea about the setup.

Hi bud, thinking about entering my boys in the April 30th 2017

Gogarburn GC, 12 holes Flag Event and Stroke Play event (to qualify for stroke play you must have scored 36 or less in a flag event or be a girl with a CONGU Handicap to enter) , Gogarburn GC, Edinburgh, Tee times 12pm-4pm

Are they able to enter this event, as they haven't played in any tournaments. Will they just play in the Flag event, no idea about the setup.

Aye they can play in the flag and the holes are much shorter, it's a great one for them!

luckyBatistuta

Aye they can play in the flag and the holes are much shorter, it's a great one for them!

Brilliant mate, I'll see you there if your attending.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Brilliant mate, I'll see you there if your attending.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Aye we'll be there. North Berwick was tough, wee man got round in 34, fastest greens ever.

luckyBatistuta

Aye we'll be there. North Berwick was tough, wee man got round in 34, fastest greens ever.

34, that's good. Noticed one of the young lads went round in a great score. I'm still not sure if we can make Swanston, which will be a shame if we miss it, as it's their home course. That's me just entered them for Gogarburn, so we'll definitely see you there.

34, that's good. Noticed one of the young lads went round in a great score. I'm still not sure if we can make Swanston, which will be a shame if we miss it, as it's their home course. That's me just entered them for Gogarburn, so we'll definitely see you there.

We played behind that lad ... no comment on that score!!

I'm going to buy a putter. I know I am. Haven't swung a club in 6-7 months and here's me upgrading my bag.

:facepalm:

That's funny when you just know you're going to buy something :)

I bought Nike Lunar Control 4's two weeks ago then bought Under Armour Spieth Ones on Thursday ... mental!

Putter wise - I'm sitting with a Scotty Cameron Fastback, Oddessy Big T, Ping B60 and Oddessy White Hot #2

Next I know will be a new driver, 3 and hybrid shafts. Then a Titleist cart/tour bag ... then a rangefinder.

I've a problem!

That's funny when you just know you're going to buy something :)

I bought Nike Lunar Control 4's two weeks ago then bought Under Armour Spieth Ones on Thursday ... mental!

Putter wise - I'm sitting with a Scotty Cameron Fastback, Oddessy Big T, Ping B60 and Oddessy White Hot #2

Next I know will be a new driver, 3 and hybrid shafts. Then a Titleist cart/tour bag ... then a rangefinder.

I've a problem!

I know what you mean. It's normally putters with me. I must have gone through about 50-100 over the time I've played. But I still have one I played with around 25 years ago.

Like you I have a Ping B60 and also have a TM Rossa Kia Ma. A good few others in the loft.

The one I'm liking the look of is the Odyssey Works 1w Versa. I'll get one with one of the thinner Superstroke grips if I get one at all.

I know what you mean. It's normally putters with me. I must have gone through about 50-100 over the time I've played. But I still have one I played with around 25 years ago.

Like you I have a Ping B60 and also have a TM Rossa Kia Ma. A good few others in the loft.

The one I'm liking the look of is the Odyssey Works 1w Versa. I'll get one with one of the thinner Superstroke grips if I get one at all.

My Ping B60 is the original which I bought from Edinburgh Golf around 23 years ago! I always dabble with it!

Anybody remember the name of the other golf shop on Dalry Road years ago???

My Ping B60 is the original which I bought from Edinburgh Golf around 23 years ago! I always dabble with it!

I remember another sports shop further up towards Gorgie. Thompsons maybe.

So that's it done. Odyssey Works putter bought as well. 34" (-1" on standard) with Superstroke 3.0 grip.

Shoes, driver and putter. Two perfectly good pairs of shoes in the locker. Clubs all over the place. Just need to go near the golf club now.

Fernies,paper shop and golf one side,bikes and fishing other side

Rangefinder has arrived!!!! will be heading to the course later :pleasing:

Braw!  Best feeling ever when new gear arrives!

I won a session at Archerfield to have my yardages done all through the bag and printed on a plastic tag - there were 100 up for grabs!

Braw! Best feeling ever when new gear arrives!

I won a session at Archerfield to have my yardages done all through the bag and printed on a plastic tag - there were 100 up for grabs!

It certainly is, mate! :)

I'm going to have to try and get my yardages sorted out as I definitely have a bit more length with these irons.

Moving from a bladed putter (scotty) to a mallet (2 ball) has been a superb move for me.

My putting is far far better.

After an erratic front 9 at Braids today (45, going 3 off the twice didn't help) I tried to shake it off and treat the back 9 as a new round.

It was working nicely and I was -1 for the back 9 going down 16.  :sweeet:

Double bogey. Bogey. Double bogey finish.  :facepalm:

This ****ing game.

Loving the rangefinder already, massive difference knowing the exact yardage to the pin rather than just the yardage to the front, etc. Will be a great help for away opens especially.

hmfc_liam06

Loving the rangefinder already, massive difference knowing the exact yardage to the pin rather than just the yardage to the front, etc. Will be a great help for away opens especially.

I wish I was of the ability for that stuff to matter :lol:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread