Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

You not even use a phone app? Still makes a difference, and takes out 90% of the guesswork on some courses.

Remember when you'd have to search for the 150 yard marker, and count steps from then to the ball?

:lol: **** that.

Oh yeah I have a GPS watch. I just don't need to know exact yardage to the pin...finding the green is a bonus :lol:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loving the rangefinder already, massive difference knowing the exact yardage to the pin rather than just the yardage to the front, etc. Will be a great help for away opens especially.

That's unquestionably where they come into their own, for away courses. I've never been all that keen but I might eventually get one.

Samuel Camazzola

That's unquestionably where they come into their own, for away courses. I've never been all that keen but I might eventually get one.

We know you'll get one sooner than later. All the shiney new equipment will be screaming at you to buy an accessory to compliment them.

I reckon you'll have it bagged before the end of the month - mid May at the latest.

We know you'll get one sooner than later. All the shiney new equipment will be screaming at you to buy an accessory to compliment them.

I reckon you'll have it bagged before the end of the month - mid May at the latest.

Maybe. A phone app will do though.

You not even use a phone app? Still makes a difference, and takes out 90% of the guesswork on some courses.

Remember when you'd have to search for the 150 yard marker, and count steps from then to the ball?

:lol: **** that.

Yeah I use Swing by Swing on my phone and love it. Massive help as my distance judgement can be way off at times. Great for keeping track of your scores too.

Maybe. A phone app will do though.

I've been promising myself a GPS/Rangefinder for ages, went through phases of thinking it wasn't worth it. Have to say I'm really pleased with it, even on my home course.

I will use it regularly, takes 2 seconds to get the target. Instead of a rough guess you get an exact distance.

I've been promising myself a GPS/Rangefinder for ages, went through phases of thinking it wasn't worth it. Have to say I'm really pleased with it, even on my home course.

I will use it regularly, takes 2 seconds to get the target. Instead of a rough guess you get an exact distance.

I hope you get benefit from it. I've always been wary of the pitfalls though. The GPS can give you the distance but it can't allow for wind direction, temperature and how the greens are holding. It can't sense how well you're hitting the ball that day. So many little variables that can make a big difference. The potential for doubt. You know what it's like to stand over the shot if there's a slight doubt over the club.

I hope you get benefit from it. I've always been wary of the pitfalls though. The GPS can give you the distance but it can't allow for wind direction, temperature and how the greens are holding. It can't sense how well you're hitting the ball that day. So many little variables that can make a big difference. The potential for doubt. You know what it's like to stand over the shot if there's a slight doubt over the club.

All of those pitfalls still exist whether you are using the GPS or not though.

All of those pitfalls still exist whether you are using the GPS or not though.

Yes, you're right but I tend to think there's a chance that being shown a number on a screen could lead someone to rely on that piece of data too much instead of 'playing by eye / feel'. There's something to be argued for going with your eye and experience. But certainly it has obvious benefits for away courses.

hmfc_liam06

Yes, you're right but I tend to think there's a chance that being shown a number on a screen could lead someone to rely on that piece of data too much instead of 'playing by eye / feel'. There's something to be argued for going with your eye and experience. But certainly it has obvious benefits for away courses.

Valid point here. First hole in the medal on Sunday and the GPS told me 76 yards to the centre of the green, I'm looking at it and thinking it looks no more than 50. Of course my eye was right...

I'd love a Bushnell and I know it will be purchased one day.  Knowing the exact to pin yardage is the best possible starting point then you build any other element from there into club choice.

Anytime I've searched on Gumtree or eBay there's always a warning about buying fakes, looks like i'll be buying this from a reputable shop as opposed to taking a chance.

BTW - Anybody looking for a Powercaddy???  I have a FW3 available with a 36 hole battery for ?230 ... magic bit of kit.

I'd love a Bushnell and I know it will be purchased one day. Knowing the exact to pin yardage is the best possible starting point then you build any other element from there into club choice.

Anytime I've searched on Gumtree or eBay there's always a warning about buying fakes, looks like i'll be buying this from a reputable shop as opposed to taking a chance.

BTW - Anybody looking for a Powercaddy??? I have a FW3 available with a 36 hole battery for ?230 ... magic bit of kit.

Very much so, if you have the exact yardage, then you can add in factors like wind,uphill/downhill and take it from there.

39 through 9 at Carricknowe today, which is on-route to a new PB for me, however I came off the course feeling disappointed thanks to a double bogey on the 9th and only hitting one decent drive over the 9 holes. I think a trip to the driving range may be required.

hmfc_liam06

I'd love a Bushnell and I know it will be purchased one day. Knowing the exact to pin yardage is the best possible starting point then you build any other element from there into club choice.

BTW - Anybody looking for a Powercaddy??? I have a FW3 available with a 36 hole battery for ?230 ... magic bit of kit.

Very interested in the trolley...

Got myself one of 18 places at the opening of the new Titleist fitting centre at Craigielaw in 2 weeks, Stephen Gallacher doing a clinic, some food, a very decent goodie bag, a fitting for the 917 and 2 out of the 18 of us win the fitted driver, we then all head out and play Craigielaw. Can't wait!!!

deesidejambo

Ok, we played it on the last weekend of the winter rates, ?180 for 2 rounds if you play them within 7 days of each other, we played Saturday, stayed in a Premier Inn close by and went back on the Sunday.  The clubhouse wasn't fully built then so it was cabins, it was good enough but I've been back since and the clubhouse is unreal.

The practice area is unbelievable, loads of different bunkers, loads of different greens, flat pitching areas up high and down low, big whiskey barrels of balls, the greens on the practice area are mind blowing.

The practice putting green looks like you are wearing virtual reality glasses, it's perfect, it has a touch of the St Andrews Himalayas while also having loads of space to practice long straight putts. 

The tee's (the starter tells you which colour of tee's to play from - take this advice) they're like snooker tables, if my club had greens like these tee's then I'd be delighted.

Every hole involves taking your camera out, the views are spectacular - I went there Pre-President Trump with no real care and I must admit I 100% back his wind farm argument, you go there and see the views and he's correct that the view from that coast will be spoilt (now, I like a wind turbine too!)

The walkways from tee to fairway and perfect in every way, the colour, the condition, they're like a perfect carpet - but grass! Then you walk down to the fairway, which are all protected by dunes higher than houses, the fairways are a condition that I've never played off of, deep green surrounded by there pale dunes, it's honestly breath taking.

The greens (given the read above you can guess the greens are perfect) if you play on a better green than this then you wont be in Scotland and you'll be playing Augusta.

I played the Old Course in January and outside of the 1, 17 and 18 the rest just blend together, Trump I can remember nearly every hole, the photo below shows hole 3 - it's honestly amazing, this photo gets shown a lot and it is in fact taken from behind the hole looking towards the tee, all the Trump course photos look photoshopped but I can guarantee the views look exactly like this.

The Saturday was WILD and I shot 95 (quadruple bogey on par 3 16th) then on the Sunday it was calm and I was 86.  What was more unbelievable was Trump was there on the Sunday to see the new clubhouse and we met him out on the course, this was pre-president, he couldn't have been nicer.

getImage.gif?ID=100195

Here's a photo of mine from the 18th tee taken in the iPhone - no fancy camera work, lighting or filters.

11080344_10153155366380196_5121222055406

Thanks for the info.

Played it yesterday.

The most stunning high-quality championship-level golf course in the world.

The view walking through to the 14th tee is the best I've ever seen on a golf course.

Every hole was unique and the greens were pretty fair so no chaos on them.

Goes to my No 1 easy.

Thanks for the info.

Played it yesterday.

The most stunning high-quality championship-level golf course in the world.

The view walking through to the 14th tee is the best I've ever seen on a golf course.

Every hole was unique and the greens were pretty fair so no chaos on them.

Goes to my No 1 easy.

Glad you enjoyed it! That view is amazing eh?! The walk from the tee down to the fairway is also unreal with the deep green walkway surrounded by huge dunes :)

hmfc_liam06

Talking of gadgets, has anyone got any performance tracking devices?

I'm looking at Game Golf or Shot Scope and no idea which one is actually better than the other!

Talking of gadgets, has anyone got any performance tracking devices?

I'm looking at Game Golf or Shot Scope and no idea which one is actually better than the other!

I honestly wouldn't.

I use Golf Shot on my phone for distance and scoring.  You put in your score, mark if you missed the fairway left or right, how many putts, if you were in the sand - takes seconds.  It then tells you your stats after it.  Doesn't give you yardages of each shot right enough.  BUT you've to wear a muckle wristband and if you wear a Garmin or TomTom then you can't wear both.  I've met the 2 guys behind Shot Scope a few times and I can see how it's a decent idea.

If the wristband gave you the yardages to the hole etc then it would be ideal.

Edited by Armageddon

hmfc_liam06

I honestly wouldn't.

I use Golf Shot on my phone for distance and scoring and here put in your score, mark if you missed the fairway left or right, how many putts, if you were in the sand - takes seconds.  It then tells you your stats after it.  Doesn't give you yardages of each shot right enough.  BUT you've to wear a muckle wristband and if you wear a Garmin or TomTom then you can't wear both.  I've met the 2 guys behind Shot Scope a few times and I can see how it's a decent idea.

If the wristband gave you the yardages to the hole etc then it would be ideal.

I have a Garmin but I'm quite happy putting it on my trolley for yardage...as the GPS chat went, I don't need distances to the inch anyway :lol:

How do you find Game Golf?

I have a Garmin but I'm quite happy putting it on my trolley for yardage...as the GPS chat went, I don't need distances to the inch anyway :lol:

How do you find Game Golf?

I actually think you do need the distances more that you realise.  If you dial closer in your 30ft putts (2-3 putts) suddenly become 10ft putts (1-2 putts).  Like every sport, the Pro's do the basics 100% correct, alignment and distance control is a priority then you work on improving your strike.  Game Golf is a faff as you've to tap the club off the dock you wear on your belt, at least the wristband gives you yardages I suppose.

Just signed up to another trip to florida for this time next year. BayHill being the standout course this time. 4 other championship standard courses throughout the week.

Scramble open at Eyemouth on Saturday, looking to retain our title from last year.

Really looking forward to playing other courses this summer. Starting with a club outing to Kilspindie next Friday.

6 entry forms for opens sent out yesterday.

Bring on summer golf!

hmfc_liam06

I actually think you do need the distances more that you realise.  If you dial closer in your 30ft putts (2-3 putts) suddenly become 10ft putts (1-2 putts).  Like every sport, the Pro's do the basics 100% correct, alignment and distance control is a priority then you work on improving your strike.  Game Golf is a faff as you've to tap the club off the dock you wear on your belt, at least the wristband gives you yardages I suppose.

I believe Shot Scope is fully automated so you don't have to bother about setting your shots etc which is decent.

I believe Shot Scope is fully automated so you don't have to bother about setting your shots etc which is decent.

The only thing you need to do is once you've holed out you need to stand above the hole and push a button on the wristband - the wrist band is huge btw.

Edited by Armageddon

hmfc_liam06

The only thing you need to do is once you've holed out you need to stand above the hole and push a button on the wristband - the wrist band is huge btw.

Is it? It looks fairly sleek on the pictures. My Garmin is quite bulky though.

Here's a quick Google image (case you think it's me wearing a dodgy 2 tone glove and timberland boots on the course!)

Shot-Scope-8.jpg

Edited by Armageddon

Liam get a rangefinder. Trust me. If you know your average distance for your irons, then a rangefinder will be a massive help, I've already notice a lot of my shots are pin high now. Even though I'm a bit off line now and then haha.

Played 15 holes in +3 today, testing wind.

Liam get a rangefinder. Trust me. If you know your average distance for your irons, then a rangefinder will be a massive help, I've already notice a lot of my shots are pin high now. Even though I'm a bit off line now and then haha.

Played 15 holes in +3 today, testing wind.

Which one did you get and where from?

Which one did you get and where from?

I got a Bushnell medalist 179 from American Golf, lucky enough to have a 50 quid high Street voucher so got a decent price for it, some of them are 300+ I'm not sure what extra features you get for that! I've put the target on bunkers off the tee and it gives you yardages on them, valuable peice of kit already.

hmfc_liam06

Bloody hell that looks huge!

Irufushi, it's not really for distance, I'm a stat geek and love to track my rounds. Something like Shot Scope is right up my street as you get to analyse every shot and identify areas for improvement. Also get things like distances with clubs etc.

Bloody hell that looks huge!

Irufushi, it's not really for distance, I'm a stat geek and love to track my rounds. Something like Shot Scope is right up my street as you get to analyse every shot and identify areas for improvement. Also get things like distances with clubs etc.

Ah, gotcha! What exactly is the benefit of that though?

Driver and putter arrived. They look the part anyway. I had a fair old time visualising a lot of putts being drained and drives launching off like missiles. Choking to get out.

hmfc_liam06

:lol: just fancy another gadget then?

Absolutely!

I feel bad though, the guy was going to personally deliver it to ensure I have it for the weekend but the pics of it have put me off big time.

:muggy:

Open today at muir of ord, -2 after 3 with two tap in birdies..... Level par after 7, 8th I sliced my driver into bushes lost, hooked my provisional miles left, lost. :facepalm: ended up with a 9, bogey on the 9th out in +6.

back 9 was then up and down 2 birdies and a double, followed by a series of sloppy bogeys.

Positives... 4 birdies, and I'm now home.

Negatives, putting, my lack of concentration and PUTTING. :lol:

:muggy:

Open today at muir of ord, -2 after 3 with two tap in birdies..... Level par after 7, 8th I sliced my driver into bushes lost, hooked my provisional miles left, lost. :facepalm: ended up with a 9, bogey on the 9th out in +6.

back 9 was then up and down 2 birdies and a double, followed by a series of sloppy bogeys.

Positives... 4 birdies, and I'm now home.

Negatives, putting, my lack of concentration and PUTTING. :lol:

Get a new putter.

:jjyay:

Get a new putter.

:jjyay:

I dread to think how many I've bought since I've played golf, this is my third season with this one, I'll stick with it, for now :lol:

Ive got the shotscope. 

yes it is a little too big but doesn't interfere with my swing. Its 90% automatic but to get really good putting stats you can press one of the buttons next to the hole - eg, 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 putts.. Hopefully never 5 putts!  - You can edit your round after the game and fix things like provisional shots etc all on your computer.  Its easy to use and gives a lot of good information - This is just one of the pages which tells me how far I hit each iron on average (no 6 iron there as I lost my tag so that is the custom one at the bottom- you get 20 tags when you buy so there are spares) 

My sw is 52deg and l is 58. 

10z4qag.jpg

hmfc_liam06

Ive got the shotscope.

yes it is a little too big but doesn't interfere with my swing. Its 90% automatic but to get really good putting stats you can press one of the buttons next to the hole - eg, 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 putts.. Hopefully never 5 putts! - You can edit your round after the game and fix things like provisional shots etc all on your computer. Its easy to use and gives a lot of good information - This is just one of the pages which tells me how far I hit each iron on average (no 6 iron there as I lost my tag so that is the custom one at the bottom- you get 20 tags when you buy so there are spares)

10z4qag.jpg

The difference with a good golfer right there...I probably just about match up with you from 7 iron to wedges but I couldn't lay a glove on that long game haha some averages there!

Played the Championship course up at Murrayshall today. Cracking course and greens were outrageously fast considering it's only April and it's a parkland course. Played really well front 9, only two 3 putts stopped a 20 point front 9. Wind got up back 9 and I majorly struggled to adapt. Ended up 18/11 split. Poor finish with 3 no scores on the last 4 holes.

Definitely recommend the course.

Samuel Camazzola

Ive got the shotscope.

yes it is a little too big but doesn't interfere with my swing. Its 90% automatic but to get really good putting stats you can press one of the buttons next to the hole - eg, 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 putts.. Hopefully never 5 putts! - You can edit your round after the game and fix things like provisional shots etc all on your computer. Its easy to use and gives a lot of good information - This is just one of the pages which tells me how far I hit each iron on average (no 6 iron there as I lost my tag so that is the custom one at the bottom- you get 20 tags when you buy so there are spares)

10z4qag.jpg

Your distances seem to have a consistent trend but the gap between 7 and 8 iron is quite vast. How many shots was this info gauged on?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread