Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

4th hole @ Murrayshall yesterday. Cracking par 3. 150 yards with a pond front and trees surrounding the green. Huge cross wind as well made it a tough little hole!

0891e732a09e09e3c79d446edc03c496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06

Oh. Sorry to hear this, m8.

::troll:::'>

Out of curiosity, in all seriousness, how did you get on overall?

I've not looked above so if you've posted it already, sorry for me being lazy.

Up and down from the trees though!

:pleasing:

Bit of an indifferent round, good front 9 (17 points) and a collapse back 9 with 3 no scores at 15/16/17. Good day though that's the main thing...right? :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Well, aye.

My 2nd round of the year was punctuated with a disaster front 9, where I had 3 triples & a double. To then be levelled out by 4 pars & a 20 yard chip in birdie.

Was more interested in how my clubs were going to fare, than actual scoring.

147 yard par 3, &15 yards over the back with my 8 iron.

Hmmm...

Strong wind? Haha.

I've actually noticed my new irons aren't a great deal longer but the flight and certainly the consistency is far better. I'm also probably losing a bit of distance as I've weakened my grip considerably from where it was so not closing the club face so much.

hmfc_liam06

Back to shot tracking...Bigsmak, how does the technology differentiate between shot type? For example I often chip with an iron, that's going to drag the average distance down considerably? Or can you revisit the round and determine that the shot was a chip?

4th hole @ Murrayshall yesterday. Cracking par 3. 150 yards with a pond front and trees surrounding the green. Huge cross wind as well made it a tough little hole!

0891e732a09e09e3c79d446edc03c496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't actually remember that hole from when I played there last year.

Is that the main course or the Lynedoch course?

hmfc_liam06

I don't actually remember that hole from when I played there last year.

Is that the main course or the Lynedoch course?

Main course mate. 4th hole.

Back to shot tracking...Bigsmak, how does the technology differentiate between shot type? For example I often chip with an iron, that's going to drag the average distance down considerably? Or can you revisit the round and determine that the shot was a chip?

Regarding my 8 iron.. I've only recorded 3 shots with it so it's squewd.

It takes away your longest shots and shortest ones. It can ignore Duff's, as a couple of my irons were Conley duffed.

My SAW for example, a lot of shots ate 20 yrds but it ignores them as well.

Other stats i get are putts, GIR fairways in reg. Where i miss is it left right etc. Lots of info.

Edited by Bigsmak

Mortonhall today. First time I've been there, cracking track.

nbbv0I7.jpg

That looks the business!  (That driver looks offie small ;)

3 wood or hybrid, Shirley? The height of that tee though. I'd scoop right underneath that!

Edited by Ray Gin

3 wood or hybrid, Shirley? The height of that tee though. I'd scoop right underneath that!

Defo a hybrid - shiting to the right of the bunkers ... does his husband play golf???

34, that's good. Noticed one of the young lads went round in a great score. I'm still not sure if we can make Swanston, which will be a shame if we miss it, as it's their home course. That's me just entered them for Gogarburn, so we'll definitely see you there.

Did you make it yesterday???

That looks the business! (That driver looks offie small ;)

Haha.

That's my mate. Rarely plays. Would probably be off about 22 if he had a handicap. Uses hybrids off tees as the driver is honestly wild when he tries to use it. Like 90 degrees right stuff.

Edited by Sten Guns

Well spotted. I told him to tee it down as he was scooping underneath them a lot.

luckyBatistuta

Mortonhall today. First time I've been there, cracking track. nbbv0I7.jpg

Only played it the once, but a great course.

Samuel Camazzola

Anyone else read the story about the UKIP candidate who wants to close golf courses? She claims they are an environmental problem and danger to the public. She is 84 too.

luckyBatistuta

Anyone else read the story about the UKIP candidate who wants to close golf courses? She claims they are an environmental problem and danger to the public. She is 84 too.

Incredible, off with her head. Well she does want to bring back the guillotine too. She also says that they're a threat to the safety of the public :wtf: her minds gone.

Nope, you?

Booked in for Gogarburn on Sunday though. :smile:

Gogarburn is decent for them, one thing to note is the practice putting green there bear's no resemblance to the speed of the course greens!  It's usually lightening then the course is slower - stay out the bunkers and water!

Look forward to hearing how you get on!

luckyBatistuta

Gogarburn is decent for them, one thing to note is the practice putting green there bear's no resemblance to the speed of the course greens!  It's usually lightening then the course is slower - stay out the bunkers and water!

Look forward to hearing how you get on!

Not sure if they're at the standard where they will actually notice the different speeds of the greens. Really looking forward to it.

Mortonhall today. First time I've been there, cracking track.

nbbv0I7.jpg

Cracking course and a great hole. Heading back there for the summer open in July.

luckyBatistuta

I have a 7 day membership at Liberton at the moment. I would person rather have a 5 day membership, but my club don't do them. Anybody know how much the 5 day membership is at Mortonhall, can't find any prices online.

How much do you all pay for memberships? 

I pay ?844 for Gullane (including a ?60 bar tab) - Thats all three courses..  I think its the best value membership going! 

Samuel Camazzola

I pay ?844 for Gullane (including a ?60 bar tab) - Thats all three courses.. I think its the best value membership going!

?250 for Fairmont. Two courses.

luckyBatistuta

I pay ?844 for Gullane (including a ?60 bar tab) - Thats all three courses..  I think its the best value membership going!

That's actually really good. Think mines is ?680 for one course (Liberton) :sad:

John mcCartney

im ?400 at leven links,?160 permit(7day) at old course musselburgh

was at haddington spring open on sat,course in very good condition best ive ever saw it.......

youve never saw a more contrasting golfer in your ****ing life.....76 at leven last monday afternoon,solid few weeks previous
 n all to having a couple of shanks on the practice ground at haddington on saturday morning made for a very uncomfortable day
and indeed a very negative outlook on it all for the season......just proving to myself that i cant trust my swing,that really sucks
applying the same swing thoughts throughout the past month and it all ****s up just like that....trying to convince meself to **** all the comps off and just head for bounce games.bit of a wrench when you have goswick,earlsferry/elie,longniddry lined up in the near future for opens.

gutted at the mo

I'm 490 roughly, torvean in Inverness. I could join a championship course in Nairn for the same amount, but tbh it's 5 minutes from me and I can pop along whenever I fancy a round.

hmfc_liam06

?250 at Lochgelly, the greens are in a poor state just now but it's 5 minutes from my house and I play a lot of golf elsewhere so it makes sense.

hmfc_liam06

There's not many reasons but affordability of golf courses is one of them as to why I'm glad I don't live in Edinburgh!

What's the Gullane joining fee?

I'm ?790 for Longniddry. Plus ?40 bar tab. ?800 joining fee.

Think the joining fee is 2x the yearly sub.

And there is a 7 year waiting list

Think the joining fee is 2x the yearly sub.

And there is a 7 year waiting list

Outstanding value.

Long wait mind you! But that's a great yearly price.

Your can play every day of the year on 3 great courses. The discounts you get for visitors is also really impressive.

Gene are brilliant all the time, never won't greens, never matts.. i love it.

Your can play every day of the year on 3 great courses. The discounts you get for visitors is also really impressive.

Gene are brilliant all the time, never won't greens, never matts.. i love it.

Did the drink kick in on your last sentence? :lol:

I'm playing peebles on Thursday. Anybody played it? Is it good?

Not played it for a couple years but I remember it being one of the better border town courses. Starts with 200ish yards par 3 which is never great but apart from that it's pretty good. Not too hilly and not particularly tight. Then again I've been pumped in both matches I've played at peebles so I've not seen the last 3 or 4 holes.

Enjoy!

Samuel Camazzola

I pay ?844 for Gullane (including a ?60 bar tab) - Thats all three courses.. I think its the best value membership going!

That is cracking value. Especially for the quality of tracks that are down there.

I'd probably say the only deal that betters it is The St Andrews Links Trust if you have a St Andrews post code. I'm sure the subs are under ?200 for access to half a dozen courses.

William H. Bonney

Not played it for a couple years but I remember it being one of the better border town courses. Starts with 200ish yards par 3 which is never great but apart from that it's pretty good. Not too hilly and not particularly tight. Then again I've been pumped in both matches I've played at peebles so I've not seen the last 3 or 4 holes.

Enjoy!

Cheers for that.

I'm playing peebles on Thursday. Anybody played it? Is it good?

Hahaha aye and I loved it.  Laughing as I played it at outing the day after a lesson, during the lesson the changes made me have a horrific duck hook and he told me to play thoughr it and it'll get better as I adjust, following day I rock up to Peebles to be faced with the 200 yard par 3 with a clubhouse on the left ... the exact spot I had been landing around 200 duck-hooked balls the day before.

Got my 3 :)

Anybody fancy some golf shoes? Both in really good condition.  Selling as I've bought Nike Lunar Control 4's and Spieth Ones.  Hyperflex I had for last season and the AWD I bought after driving up north to arrive and discover I'd left my Hyperflex at home!  Doh, only worn for 6 rounds up north (6 winning rounds BTW!).

They're both drying having been given and full shampoo inside and out so actual pics can follow.

Footjoy Hyperflex in a size 9 - they're used but in good condition (green and navy)

and

Footjoy AWD in a size 9 - used but in good condition (white and navy)

Any sensible(ish) offer considered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: It's not letting me post pics from my Mac so I'll add them tomorrow while at work.

Edited by Armageddon

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread