• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 points tonight for me. 3 double bogies, 4 birdies, and nearly snapped my wedge after trying to chip over a green side bunker to end up in said bunker.

Highlights, par 5 3rd, over 500 yrds, drive and sand iron to 8 foot (missed eagle putt), then 14th, par 4, over 430yrds into the wind good drive then 3 wood to 2 foot. (Holed for birdie)

hmfc_liam06

500 yards and you hit driver, SW?

How far do you hit a SW? :wow:

I'd be lucky to do that on a 300 yard par 4 :lol:

Usually 105 yrds.. but there was a wind. The driver went 346 and the sw 140 (so wasn't 500 ... Sorry) just checked the length of the hole, it's 496 from the medal tee. Flag was near the front though.

Edited by Bigsmak

neal-jambos

Thought this would be the best thread for it but I'm looking at going to Tenerife with my mates for a week and wanting to play 3-4 rounds of golf. Is it better booking it through a golf holiday company or getting cheap flights and hotel ourselves and booking a few rounds where we fancy?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Samuel Camazzola

Thought this would be the best thread for it but I'm looking at going to Tenerife with my mates for a week and wanting to play 3-4 rounds of golf. Is it better booking it through a golf holiday company or getting cheap flights and hotel ourselves and booking a few rounds where we fancy?

Hmfc_liam06 was just there recently so will give you the Intel in due course no doubt...

hmfc_liam06

I played Golf Del Sur in April, fantastic course. Can't really help with company v solo (you'd probably be just as cheap booking a proper holiday then adding golf on your own) but I'd certainly recommend Golf Del Sur as one of your venues. You could actually play 3 rounds of golf there as they have 3 different 9 hole courses giving 3 different configurations. Amarillas is also next door if you wanted a change of scenery.

A taxi from Costa Adeje was 20 euros so cheap enough to taxi it back and forth each day.

I'd also recommend you take your own clubs.

3.3 now, started the year at 4.2. My target at the start of the season was to get to 2.

3 vouchers amassed so far all 2nd places!

neal-jambos

I played Golf Del Sur in April, fantastic course. Can't really help with company v solo (you'd probably be just as cheap booking a proper holiday then adding golf on your own) but I'd certainly recommend Golf Del Sur as one of your venues. You could actually play 3 rounds of golf there as they have 3 different 9 hole courses giving 3 different configurations. Amarillas is also next door if you wanted a change of scenery.

A taxi from Costa Adeje was 20 euros so cheap enough to taxi it back and forth each day.

I'd also recommend you take your own clubs.

Cheers for the help!

I've Not been able to swing a club since march due to an injury but should be back playing in the next couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see how much a shoulder op has affected my swing.

With our stableford league does the CSS come into play. For example the 35 points I have from Sunday was on a par 71 but CSS was 74 for the day. .. if I play a medal on number 3 the par is 68 and the CSS is usually 66 ..

Just thinking out loud

Edited by Bigsmak

Cyprus Jambo

Where about if you don't mind me asking?

Haddington. Net 72, 1 over so still in with a should if I can arrange to play next Sunday as working too.

Prince Buaben

played the Swanston Par 3 last night. quite enjoyed it. Went round twice. 

anywhere else good to go to get into the swing of it.. pardon the pun.. Played melville and swanston.

Also what is stableford. Just trying to understand the thread?

anywhere else good to go to get into the swing of it.. pardon the pun.. Played melville and swanston.

It's a scoring system. You get 0 points for worse than net bogey, 1 point for net bogey, 2 points for net par, 3 points for net birdie, 4 points for net eagle, 5 points for net albatros (+2, +1, par, -1, -2, -3)

You apply your handicap by 1 shot per hole per the course stroke index. Example, if you have a 6 handicap, you get 6 shots at holes 1 to 6 on the index.

It's a scoring system that eliminates a player from completely ruining the round as you're not putting together a score over 18 holes, instead scoring points in a hole by hole basis. You could have a 14 at a hole in medal play which would blitz any score but in Stableford, the 14 would only result in the loss of 2 points from net par.

Edited by Victorian

Decided to join the hirsel until the end of September.

It's like a completely different game compared to my home course, it can only help improve my game in the long run and hopefully teach me how to plot my way round tight courses a bit better.

hmfc_liam06

Decided to join the hirsel until the end of September.

It's like a completely different game compared to my home course, it can only help improve my game in the long run and hopefully teach me how to plot my way round tight courses a bit better.

Is it really that tight? :lol:

Is it really that tight? :lol:

You're playing there soon eh?

Its tight aye, small greens too. You can't just stand up and smash a driver on every par 4. A different test to what I'm used to that's for sure.

hmfc_liam06

You're playing there soon eh?

Its tight aye, small greens too. You can't just stand up and smash a driver on every par 4. A different test to what I'm used to that's for sure.

Not until August. First round is a Saturday afternoon where there will be a few beers sunk. The second round is Sunday morning after a Saturday session in Berwick.

Should be interesting!

You tried the 9 hole course at Bathgate yet?

Prince Buaben

You tried the 9 hole course at Bathgate yet?

not yet.. only done the ones that are close to Penicuik so far. 

Any good?

hmfc_liam06

not yet.. only done the ones that are close to Penicuik so far. 

Any good?

If you're hitting ok it might be an idea to break out into a fairly straightforward 18 hole course. I can't help you with recommendations within Edinburgh though with me being a Fifer! 

Samuel Camazzola

If you're keen on a little journey, The Balgove at St Andrews is perfect for an introduction to the game. There are also courses at Cluny and Wells Green in Fife which are tailored for beginners.

If you are getting into practice, my advice would be to invest a lot of time in pitching, chipping and putting. This is the most important part of the game as most of your shots will come from the short game. It's the part of the game which makes the difference between good players and very good players.

If you're keen on a little journey, The Balgove at St Andrews is perfect for an introduction to the game. There are also courses at Cluny and Wells Green in Fife which are tailored for beginners.

If you are getting into practice, my advice would be to invest a lot of time in pitching, chipping and putting. This is the most important part of the game as most of your shots will come from the short game. It's the part of the game which makes the difference between good players and very good players.

Good advice.

Prince Buaben

Putting seems to be my downfall. I need to spend time practising. 

I think it was Sam Torrance who advised that a player will likely have a putt 45% of all shots in a round, therefore should devote roughly the same amount of practice time to putting. About half then.

Greenside chipping and the ranges up to around 70 and 80 yards are very important. Even a good player can too many times take 3 to get down from greenside and 3 or 4 from 70 yards. The ability to get up and down in 2 a decent number of times, as well as never taking 4, goes a hell of a long way to making scores. Distance putting and holing out are two distinctly different skills as well. Having a competent full set of skills is the ideal. Low confidence can one area can spread through the lot so it also takes a bit of philosophical patience to accept that some elements will be good and bad at times. You trt to stay relaxed and allow it to happen for you.

All true regarding the short game.

The amount of times I bomb a drive to within 50 yards of the green on a par 4 and still only manage to score a bogey is ridiculous.

Samuel Camazzola

Putting seems to be my downfall. I need to spend time practising.

I find a good drill is surround the hole with balls placed within 3 feet so you are putting from different angles with a variance of grain and slope (if any). I play these putts with conviction and off the toe. Depending on your putter, most of the weight is in the heel and toe. Playing off the toe creates a 'knuckle-ball' strike and can eliminate any spin. Very useful in gusty conditions. I find playing these builds confidence in shots you feel you should always be holing. Try it on the practice green to see how it works for you.

For longer putts, you'll find Pro's make percentage is quite low so if you can get your longer putts inside the ' 3 foot circle' your practice will begin to reap rewards.

You can then get frustrated about other aspects of the game! :)

Interesting note re heel-toe putting. I've done similar when putting down a severe slope or with extreme breaks. Just to dampen the strike a bit to guard against over-hitting way past the hole or hitting one through a break. I normally hit a bit nearer the heel.

My putting & chipping has been decent this year, despite other issues, like my approach play.

G.I.R at the minute is dire. Hitting over 50% of fairways, yet maybe 2/3 out of 18 greens.

Not expecting single figure, or pro-like stats of 7-12, but as ones I'm missing are from 7-8 iron range, I'm annoyed, as they're usually decent for me.

Pulling quite a lot of shots. My natural shot's a high fade.

Nothing else for it, give up.

hmfc_liam06

My distance putting is terrible yet anything inside 10 feet is (or certainly is at the minute) spot on.

There's a John Daly book that is pretty decent for some advice. It's aim is to take 10 strokes off a high handicappers round. Can't remember the name of it but I'll find it. Some useful tips.

What's Monktonhall like lads?

Choice between that and Dunblane for a round tomorrow.

Nice. Long and flat. Much is tree lined. Good greens. Very much a championship course in standard.

hmfc_liam06

Nice. Long and flat. Much is tree lined. Good greens. Very much a championship course in standard.

Cheers. Booked it at ?17 on teeofftimes.co.uk. Bit of a bargain by all accounts.

Managed 38 points yesterday in midweek medal, if anything I'd say I'm consistent, but still feel I should be playing well below this. CSS was -1, so I'll get cut the 0.2 I thought I'd get at the weekend. No golf for a week now though due to work

I've played munktonhall about 4 times this year. It's in the best condition I've seen it for years. Very good course.

Disser Pointon

I've played munktonhall about 4 times this year. It's in the best condition I've seen it for years. Very good course.

It's come on a bit earlier than usual with the mild winter......... still wish the greens were a bit faster!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hmfc_liam06

Really enjoyed it, greens were brilliant! Long but never any real danger off the tee but the greens are very well protected, especially the par 3's.

Almost 5 hours for a two ball though :seething:

Samuel Camazzola

Going back to where it all began tomorrow, short course, par 67, long par 3's, short par 4's and 5's. Sounds easy! It's not, narrow, with some of the slopiest greens around!

http://www.strathpeffergolf.co.uk

Looks cracking. From the gallery shots, it looks to be my kind of course. I love a track you need to plot your way around. Do you still use driver around there?

Looks cracking. From the gallery shots, it looks to be my kind of course. I love a track you need to plot your way around. Do you still use driver around there?

Yea it's a plotters course, took me years to realise this, realistically you could take driver out on 1, 8, 12, and 17.

When I was younger I'd go for 13 and 18 all the time,:lol: 13 is a lay up all day long, 2 and 7 although short are impossible to get on the green, both drastically uphill.

Par 3's are brutal :sob: especially 3,4 and 11 :sob:

Samuel Camazzola

Club Championship qualifying this morning. A bit of a struggle in great conditions. Score equated to 32 points for the Stableford table.

Disappointing round of 72 for me, greens were a real disappointment. Used to be a great track, sadly let down by the greens.

31 points.

72 scratch around Gullane No.1 today. 2 putted every green. Played very steady. 2 birdies on the par 5s (missed a 6 foot eagle putt) and 3 bogies after catching bunkers

40 points for the comp.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread